Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Have any non-NJPW matches been of note this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

KENTA vs. Takashi Sugiura in NOAH was great, there was a 5 match BURNING vs AJPW series that was apparently good. Kenta Kobashi's retirement match was fun.

NOAH probably have some other good matches scattered throughout the year but the newer shows haven't made it out anywhere.

Also Low-Ki posted on twitter saying he is retiring from wrestling after AJPW refused to pay his medical bills after being injured by Akebono on tour, claiming it is contrary to the terms of his contract.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Naruki Doi & Ricochet vs. Akira Tozawa & BxB Hulk from the Dragon Gate Kobe Festival show was awesome and got ****3/4 from Big Dave

Shingo Takagi vs. CIMA from the same show was also very good but it was about 10 mins too long

Vendo Thefastlane
May 24, 2005

Thefastlane's the last name

golden oldies pete posted:

Also Low-Ki posted on twitter saying he is retiring from wrestling after AJPW refused to pay his medical bills after being injured by Akebono on tour, claiming it is contrary to the terms of his contract.

Either he's incredibly principled or this is just an excuse. Japanese national health care lowers costs to a small amounts for all legal workers. I had a bad sprain from a match requiring x-ray, wrapping, crutches, pain medication, and follow-up. Total cost less than $30. If having a proper visa he should have been well covered and unless his injuries required inpatient care (which we would have heard) it really shouldn't be a big issue. It's also considered very irregular for Japanese wrestlers to make this demand; it would usually be seen as a diva move to make a contract demand like this. There is usually just a clause in the contract to cover promised payment even if injured as a result of performing.

He's probably just frustrated and burned out, and looking to burn a bridge at the same time.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Didn't Low Ki already "retire" once this year before going to AJPW?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He did. The story was he was going to do voice acting.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
He realized there was a bridge he hadn't burned down yet.

Mission accomplished.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
He's really gotta gently caress over AAA and Puerto Rico to be the GOAT.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

MassRafTer posted:

He's really gotta gently caress over AAA and Puerto Rico to be the GOAT.
I don't think even HE is dumb enough to burn those bridges. Sarah Stock (Sarita in TNA) was threatened to have her work visa taken away because she was working dates in Japan over dates in Mexico, since a company in Mexico controlled her work visa. Then they would advertise her for shows that they knew she couldn't make to try and ruin her reputation. And this is a pretty nice girl who I've never heard anyone sad bad things about.

If Low-Ki pulled his poo poo in Mexico or Puerto Rico, it might mean the end of his life.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 16, 2013

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Flameingblack posted:

I don't think even HE is dumb enough to burn those bridges.

Don't say things you can't take back.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I remember people in here freaking out about that DDT-offshoot USA show when the card was posted, so here's 5 minutes of clips from it courtesy of Occupation of the Indies.

Features Kiku and Honda as Hogan and Warrior, Okabayashi as Goldberg, Toba as John Cena, Fukuda as Mr. Perfect and I guess Takagi as Vince McMahon at the end.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Illinois Smith posted:

I remember people in here freaking out about that DDT-offshoot USA show when the card was posted, so here's 5 minutes of clips from it courtesy of Occupation of the Indies.

Features Kiku and Honda as Hogan and Warrior, Okabayashi as Goldberg, Toba as John Cena, Fukuda as Mr. Perfect and I guess Takagi as Vince McMahon at the end.

I just love DDT and their off-shoots. Name of the event is Stargate 2013, took place in March this year. Also has Michael Nakazawa as Sheik, and Danshoku Dino as Goldust, which is certainly a fitting choice.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Illinois Smith posted:

Ironically the one time that Takagi doesn't dress up as Stone Cold.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OUMIFR5JFc

I found a match featuring a young Tanahashi teaming up with Nagata against Kobashi and Tamon Honda in a GHC tag title match 10 years ago.

Did Tanahashi ever wrestle Misawa?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Thauros posted:

I found a match featuring a young Tanahashi teaming up with Nagata against Kobashi and Tamon Honda in a GHC tag title match 10 years ago.

As far as I know, Tanahashi was 2/4 for Four Pillars of Heaven. He wrestled Kobashi and Kawada.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Rodney the Piper posted:

Have any non-NJPW matches been of note this year?

Akiyama vs. KAI, Carny final.

civilwhat
Apr 24, 2010

Thauros posted:

yes

8. GHC Tag Team Title: Mitsuharu Misawa & Yoshinari Ogawa besiegen Yuji Nagata New Japan & Hiroshi Tanahashi New Japan (c) (29:41) nach dem Emerald Frosion von Misawa gegen Tanahashi - Titelwechsel.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Cagematch.net is the english site.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

AJPW news from today's Observer:

quote:

The company’s 41st anniversary show takes place on 10/27 at Sumo Hall, which as noted many times, seems like a building way too big for them to run. The big hook is the nostalgia of Dory Funk Jr.(72) & Terry Funk (69) teaming up for the first time in All Japan I believe in 26 years....

The lineup has Suwama vs. Akebono for the Triple Crown, Kotaro Suzuki & Atsushi Aoki defend the All-Asia tag titles against Shigehiro Irie & Keisuke Ishii of the DDT promotion, Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs. Sushi for the jr. title, Joe Doering & James Raideen (debuting) vs. D-Lo Brown & Bambikiller and The Funks vs. Masa Fuchi & Osamu Nishimura, who will do a basic old-style technical match.

:stare:

I knew the Funks were going to be there, but I figured it was just a ceremonial legends appearance like when Hansen pops up on NJPW shows.

Also, while Terry's multiple retirements/comebacks are legendary I thought Dory Jr. had been retired for years. Crazy that Terry Funk isn't even going to be the oldest person in a wrestling match for a still somewhat significant promotion in the year 2013. The combined age of the four participants in that match is going to be 242, which has to be at the very least close to some sort of record.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 24, 2013

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

There is a report that DREAM asked Bushiroad to hold a new year's eve show at saitama super arena, but they declined. enuhito speculates they may ask W-1 to spearhead it instead.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

There is a report that DREAM asked Bushiroad to hold a new year's eve show at saitama super arena, but they declined. enuhito speculates they may ask W-1 to spearhead it instead.

Jesus, that would be a disaster.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Whats DREAM again?

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

KungFu Grip posted:

Whats DREAM again?

Off-shoot of PRIDE after it died off, it's kind of dried up over the past couple of years and has basically been dead since mid 2012. The last major show I think they had was a co-show with Glory kickboxing last new year's eve.

Apparently they want pro-wrestling on the NYE show to bolster it since the MMA boom + interest in Japan has long since dwindled.

Bushiroad apparently were interested in doing one in the future possibly next year, but I don't see them ever running a major NYE show so close to a Jan 4th NJPW show.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

wrestlers bumping in an MMA ring is gross and scary.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Dory had a big retirement match 5 years ago in AJ, but was quickly back working at his obscure BANG! promotion.

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006
"Nongnongdongfongbong" is one character too long. : (
I just watched Shinsuke's tag match in NOAH. Not sure if NJPW will gain as much as NOAH from a CHAOS invasion, but Ishii vs KENTA needs to happen in some format.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

New Triple Crown belt. Also Akebono won it today.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
They drew 2,563 at Sumo Hall for that card. The AJ/Wrestle-1 split is, was, and will forever be one of the worst things in Japanese wrestling history, because unless there are FINALLY some mergers in the very very near future it's going to drive away a good portion of what's left of the total fanbase.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

njsykora posted:

OH MY GOD, THE ROCKO IS EXPANDING TO JAPAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Oh gosh that is where it begins...

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Mr. Bighead was on the original IWGP belt.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

njsykora posted:

So why stick the PWF logo on it still besides being a homage.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

KungFu Grip posted:

So why stick the PWF logo on it still besides being a homage.

Japan is big on acknowledging the past. Especially when it comes to sports.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Japan is big on acknowledging the past. Especially when it comes to sports.

Then why not acknowledge the other belts?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

KungFu Grip posted:

Then why not acknowledge the other belts?

The PWF belt was a Baba creation. That probably has something to do with it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The side panels probably recognize the other two.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Wait so is it the AJPW triple crown or the PWF Triple Crown are they doing the championship committee thing now

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

While they don't seem to make as big of a deal of it, isn't the PWF a kayfabe sanctioning body that's basically AJPW's equivalent to NJPW's IWGP?* According to Wiki Dory Funk's the current PWF chairman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Japan_Pro_Wrestling

quote:

Baba established the Pacific Wrestling Federation (PWF) as the governing body for all future titles in All Japan. In the beginning the PWF recognized a world heavyweight championship and several "regional championships" given as billing to foreign stars depending from which region they came from, but after All Japan joined the National Wrestling Alliance, the PWF world title was downgraded to a regional championship. The first PWF Chairman, who presented the belts to the winners in title bouts, was Lord James Blears.

*Yeesh, that would be incomprehensible alphabet soup to %99 of the population

Thauros fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 28, 2013

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DVDVR posted:

There was a problem with the DDT Extreme Title match. Antonio Honda and Super Sasadango Machine both arrived to the building feeling incredibly tired. When the time came for the champion Honda to decide what the rules of the match should be, both he and Sasadango fell asleep in the ring. When it became time for the match to begin Amon Tsurumi made the decision himself and made it a Sleep Prevention Death Match where the goal is to make your opponent fall asleep for three seconds. A futon was placed in the ring and the lights dimmed as the match began. Sasadango gave Honda a Suplex onto the futon for a “two count”. Honda then put Sasadango in a Sleeper Hold for another “two count”. An energy drink was brought into the ring only for the spokesperson to Lariat both wrestlers and Hulk out afterwards. Honda got to the energy drink first and then knocked off Sasadango’s mask with a Diving Fist Drop, revealing him to be Muscle Sakai. Sakai recovered and hit Honda with a Missile Dropkick. He did one more but landed on top of the futon where he fell asleep. Honda gently pulled the duvet over Sakai for the “three count” and successfully defended his DDT Extreme Title. After the match Honda thanked the fans for coming to see the show or for watching it on Samurai! TV and said the match felt like he was in a dream.

Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I legitimately don't know if that really happened or if that was something Dean Rasmussen wrote.