Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

McDragon posted:

Of course, Stunfisk makes up for everything.

Stunfisk is perfect. Encountering it for the first time is the biggest laugh in the game, followed closely by seeing its attacking animation for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, just remembered after seeing an Onix. I miss ridiculous hovering Steelix as well.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
For what it's worth, I've been breeding goomy with a seviper and all the babies have turned up with poison tail, so there's an egg move for you that helps against fairies.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman
I want a mega Stunfsk that's just Stunfisk shaped like a pancake.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Goddamnit Klefki! Why do you have to have such a great movepool? I CAN ONLY PICK 4 DAMNIT!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So I'm trying to pad out the Central Pokedex but where the gently caress is Audino?

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Quick tip for Ditto farmers: While a False Swiper is obvious, since Ditto can transform if your Pokemon is too powerful you'll be eating some hits too. Especially since, for some reason, its catch rate means it can often escape even with good balls.

My solution for it is a False Swipe Zangoose with False Swipe and three horrible moves for a Zangoose, in order to help it combat itself. The other move slots are Toxic (since Zangoose has the immunity ability), Shadow Claw (won't hit Normal types, and allows Zangoose to actually hit ghosts when farming Haunters) and Hidden Power. There are better combos for legendaries and probably for full lowbie farming too...I think a Gallade can do False Swipe, Mean Look and Thunderwave. However this Zangoose basically hits itself for poo poo damage if for anything at all, which makes Dittos a lot easier to farm if your false swiper isn't overleveled enough to shrug off hits yet.

The only thing it has to fear is a STAB False Swipe at already low health + hidden power combo, but the AI is rarely smart enough to pull that off and tries to spam Toxic instead.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Captain Fargle posted:

Goddamnit Klefki! Why do you have to have such a great movepool? I CAN ONLY PICK 4 DAMNIT!

Can it Taunt?

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

404GoonNotFound posted:

So I'm trying to pad out the Central Pokedex but where the gently caress is Audino?

Jumps out of bushes on the road to Poke-Versailles.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

TheEggsBenedict posted:

I want a mega Stunfsk that's just Stunfisk shaped like a pancake.
Mega Stunfisk is just a regular Stunfisk that permanently has its trollish grin displayed.

Hot Pants Jesus
Mar 8, 2013
So, I want to build sort of a semi-competitive team revolving around Protean Greninja + Fairy + Other and I am thinking the combo between the following choices:

-Greninja, Sylveon, and Mega Scizor

OR

-Greninja, Mega Gardevoir, and Scizor.

However, a lot of things are still unfamiliar as I haven't played much Pokemon since Gen IV. Any recommendations for the combo?

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski
Dudes on Wonder Trade I just got a Hariyama from someone whose tagline was HEY! HEY! HEY!

I just received Fat Albert you guys

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Cuckoo posted:

Quick tip for Ditto farmers: While a False Swiper is obvious, since Ditto can transform if your Pokemon is too powerful you'll be eating some hits too. Especially since, for some reason, its catch rate means it can often escape even with good balls.

My solution for it is a False Swipe Zangoose with False Swipe and three horrible moves for a Zangoose, in order to help it combat itself. The other move slots are Toxic (since Zangoose has the immunity ability), Shadow Claw (won't hit Normal types, and allows Zangoose to actually hit ghosts when farming Haunters) and Hidden Power. There are better combos for legendaries and probably for full lowbie farming too...I think a Gallade can do False Swipe, Mean Look and Thunderwave. However this Zangoose basically hits itself for poo poo damage if for anything at all, which makes Dittos a lot easier to farm if your false swiper isn't overleveled enough to shrug off hits yet.

The only thing it has to fear is a STAB False Swipe at already low health + hidden power combo, but the AI is rarely smart enough to pull that off and tries to spam Toxic instead.

Can't you just move delete everything but shadow claw and false swipe?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Man, I got a Japanese Magikarp through wonder trade and was so excited for the novelty of having a Pokemon with a foreign name, and then I evolved it into a Gyarados and its name reverted to English.

So lame.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Man, I got a Japanese Magikarp through wonder trade and was so excited for the novelty of having a Pokemon with a foreign name, and then I evolved it into a Gyarados and its name reverted to English.

So lame.
If it makes you feel any better that means it just had the default name in Japanese anyway, so the guy who sent it to you was too lazy to come up with something that would stick.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

LoinclothedJesus posted:

So, I want to build sort of a semi-competitive team revolving around Protean Greninja + Fairy + Other and I am thinking the combo between the following choices:

-Greninja, Sylveon, and Mega Scizor

OR

-Greninja, Mega Gardevoir, and Scizor.

However, a lot of things are still unfamiliar as I haven't played much Pokemon since Gen IV. Any recommendations for the combo?

Tough to say. Mega Scizor is supposedly going to be better off with a bulky physical set if not as a full tank, so if you want to do a bulky Swords Dance I'd suggest that route. However, Mega Gardevoir has an incredibly useful resistance with both Dragon and Fighting, and has great potential as a special wall.

If you have to give the mega stone to someone, I'd say Gardevoir over Scizor just because Scizor is a great Pokemon without it and can use a million other sets like CB. Gardevoir can't. Sylveon is solid too with the ability to baton pass stuff, but has a shallower movepool and frail defense.

Alternatively gently caress them both and use the best Fairy of all, Clefable :colbert:

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I feel bad asking this since I'm sure it's come up a billion times but where's Ditto?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Finally, found another Old Amber to replace the Aerodactyl I traded much earlier on. Was worth it for early Goomy though. :3:

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

For what it's worth, I've been breeding goomy with a seviper and all the babies have turned up with poison tail, so there's an egg move for you that helps against fairies.

My Goodra has Sludge Bomb just for dealing with fairies. Can't remember where I found the TM though.

edit: make that two Ambers.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Waffles Inc. posted:

I feel bad asking this since I'm sure it's come up a billion times but where's Ditto?

Pokemon village by the 8th gym badge.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

Waffles Inc. posted:

Pokemon Village

Edit: :argh:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

DarkHamsterlord posted:

So lame.

Well nicknames are permanent at least. The JPN Honedge I got through GTS was nicknamed (O) and it's an Aegislash now, still called (O).

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME posted:

Yo is there some new system whereby two Pokes of the same species and (non-DW) ability are guaranteed to have kids with the same ability? Because I know it's prolly random chance but I got more Hyper Cutter Mawiles than seems likely, NGL.

Says in the guidebook that females with a hidden ability "may" have an egg with the hidden ability passed on. Doesn't say how big the chance is though.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

TheEggsBenedict posted:

Pokemon Village

Edit: :argh:

Oh great! I'm not quite there yet so I'll have a lil' Ditto to look forward to :3:

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Cuckoo posted:

You could just use another Ditto/Zoroark and chuck quick -> dusk -> timer balls without weakening it. Probably easier.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Brett824 posted:

You could just use another Ditto/Zoroark and chuck quick -> dusk -> timer balls without weakening it. Probably easier.

...or that. :v: Thanks, going to try it out.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Holy poo poo Zoroark please just show up. It's ridiculous I've spent 2 hours trying to find just one of you.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Holy poo poo Zoroark please just show up. It's ridiculous I've spent 2 hours trying to find just one of you.

Surprise, every wild pokemon in the game is actually Zoroak.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Has anyone rolled through the endgame with a Pumpkaboo and if so, around what time should I evolve it? Mine's level 53 but her stats are sorta miserable so I had to give her an Eviolite to make it through even a single trainer's Pokémon :(

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
So I know that when you breed the offspring inherits 3 IVs at random from either parent. Does this still work the same way if one of the parents is a Ditto, or is it incapable of inheriting IVs from Ditto?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Brett824 posted:

If you have a Ditto, couldn't you use Repeat Balls as well? Not sure how those stack up against Dusk/Timer Balls, though.

In my first Ruby file I caught Groudon in a repeat ball after I ran out of ultra balls.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Can someone with the guide checkout egg moves for Froakie? (If the guides still do that). Cos Protean Greninja with a few good moves seems like a cool thing to mess around with.

Also Item maniacs.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

This image has been making the rounds. Apparently the style-based discount on the Mega Stones for the Gen I starters gets as low as just $10,000.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I'm away from my game right now; does the Mega Stone store sell any stones besides the Gen I starter stones?

Cuckoo posted:

fake edit UGH Zapdos appeared and fled before the battle could even begin gently caress yoooouuuuu :argh:
Don't you need to encounter the legendary birds like 12 times before they become catchable in one specific location, or something dumb like that?

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 16, 2013

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Previous Jesus posted:

So I know that when you breed the offspring inherits 3 IVs at random from either parent. Does this still work the same way if one of the parents is a Ditto, or is it incapable of inheriting IVs from Ditto?

Yes. In fact I had a near perfect ditto and used it to breed up some very powerful stuff. With a little luck and a perfect Ditto you can easily get a spread that's half 31s and half high 20s at least.

Repeat balls have been great for me after catching the first Ditto. Definitely better than ultra balls, and a good alternative to dusk balls if you play in the daytime.

fake edit UGH Zapdos appeared and fled before the battle could even begin gently caress yoooouuuuu :argh:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Have there been any significant changes to breeding in the new gen?

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

razorrozar posted:

If you have a Ditto, couldn't you use Repeat Balls as well? Not sure how those stack up against Dusk/Timer Balls, though.

In my first Ruby file I caught Groudon in a repeat ball after I ran out of ultra balls.

In Gen 5 at least: Quick Balls are 5x, Dusk Ball is 3.5x (at night obviously), Repeat Ball is 3x, Timer Balls are 4x (after 10 turns). If it's not night time, repeat would be better than dusk or ultra though, yeah.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Dream World abilities can be given down even without the mother having it. That event Torchic that's male? Put it with a ditto and make hundreds of little Speed Boost babbys. Mothers can also give down moves now, I believe?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Internet Kraken posted:

Males pass down Hidden Abilities which is actually really loving huge.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I haven't played a single pokemon game since I played the gently caress out of red way back when. Would I be overwhelmed by this game if I picked it up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

So you need to have Strength to get through Victory Road? That's so irritating. X/Y has been pretty good up to now about keeping the HM stuff optional. Now I have to swap out one of my guys for an HM slave because I don't want any of them to learn strength/rock smash.

• Locked thread