Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EndofGoogle
Nov 22, 2004
page 20 of 100
Who's shoe was that in the blood puddle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Pretty sure that was Shinobu's. Somehow she generates new clothes as she changes power levels.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ViggyNash posted:

I found that far more disturbing than amusing. To me it was more proof of how broken Nadeko is.

It is pretty amusing, though. While what you say about the unfortunate text (no subtext at this point, since it's crystal-clear) on how horribly messed up Nadeko is rings true, it also goes a long way to show just how little fucks Shinobu gives.

And while Kana Hanazawa's work as Nadeko has been nothing short of amazing, Maaya Sakamoto has been the true front-and-center star for this show so far. :allears:

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I don't want this arc to be over but I know it is because it played a dramatic reprise of the current OP and holy moly this episode was great.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
That was absolutely fantastic. I spent most of that episode being amazed at exactly just how crazy Nadeko actually is. She's extra strength crazy! Ultra crazy! Platinum crazy!

What I am unclear on however, is what comes next? Will it continue next episode? Or is this a season finale sort of thing. I could see it being fantastic as a finale but I really want to know what happens here.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
Nadeko was the most boring and worthless character back in season 1, somehow Nisio managed to use that previous personality of hers as a way to make her current character development even more compelling and shocking.

Step aside Gasai Yuno, you have been dethroned.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...

FiftySeven posted:

That was absolutely fantastic. I spent most of that episode being amazed at exactly just how crazy Nadeko actually is. She's extra strength crazy! Ultra crazy! Platinum crazy!

What I am unclear on however, is what comes next? Will it continue next episode? Or is this a season finale sort of thing. I could see it being fantastic as a finale but I really want to know what happens here.

As far as I am aware of, this is the end of the Nadeko Medusa arc. New arc starts next week, unless there is another recap. What happened in the epilogue was a trailer for the final arc of the season, which is not until after this upcoming arc.

i300 fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Oct 14, 2013

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Redcrimson posted:

Bakemonogatari. What the gently caress are you doing, holy poo poo :catstare:

It's hard not to take this whole season as a big sweeping gently caress you to moe harem nonsense when the most moe character of all deludes herself into becoming a murderous snake god because she doesn't "win".

"I bet he'd keep getting girlfriends and lovers as long as he's alive" Oh man, that line. When the talking snake you made up in your head thinks your nuts, that's pretty nuts. Yandere Nadeko is way more interesting than regular Nadeko, I hope she sticks around.

I thought that was because deep down, she knows she's batshit insane, and the snake's voice is just her other side. When she was openly 'good girl Nadeko', the snake was an outlet for 'bad girl Nadeko', once she flipped right around and became openly Yandere, the snake reversed it's role to speak for her opinion of the whole matter.

Basically a Black Hanekawa scenario except she ate a god.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
This episode's preview is "fake" in the way that it's just what Nadeko imagines it will be like. Actual showdown takes place in Koimonogatari, which is the last arc of this season.

Next week's episode will be another recap (woo), and after that we get Onimonogatari, which describes what happened to Koyomi during the Nekomonogatari Shiro events.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER

ViggyNash posted:

I found that far more disturbing than amusing. To me it was more proof of how broken Nadeko is.

I really loved the "I said nothing, I just stabbed her again."
Snake was my favorite before, now she's cemented herself as #1 forever, fantastic episode.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Pretty sure that was Shinobu's. Somehow she generates new clothes as she changes power levels.

This is explained in Kizumonogatari.

Minor Koyomi Vampire spoiler: All of the vampires are technically naked and their clothes/weapons etc. are either extensions of themselves (via shape shifting) or are just made of magic. The one exception to this is Araragi, because he's terrible at being a vampire.

Pensive fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 15, 2013

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
Am I the only one who is slightly wierded out by how everyone in Monogatari is an amateur psychologist? I don't think I have ever spent so much time dissecting how a person thinks right to their face.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FrantzX posted:

Am I the only one who is slightly wierded out by how everyone in Monogatari is an amateur psychologist? I don't think I have ever spent so much time dissecting how a person thinks right to their face.

They're also (mostly) teenagers, whether in physical or mental age. I guess at the end of the day, you can almost hear Nisio Isin's thought process as he tries to bullshit his way out of what otherwise would be really short stories.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

I have to say I was pretty lukewarm to this going into this season after Nise and the Cat movies, but this season has been amazing even better than Bake. I am pretty hyped to see what the next arc is, and then what they teased in that trailer. Even though I know I shouldn't be fooled by that trailer since it is Nisio.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

What was the "pun intended" part all about after the trailer? I can only think of one thing, and that can't possibly be what I think it is.

I am disappointed this poo poo is not translated on baka-tsuki. I immediately ran there to see how this is resolved and was sorely unsatisfied.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Given how much Japanese wordplay we see here I think it's just lost in translation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

And suddenly Renai Circulation gains a very dark undertone.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Dan7el posted:

What was the "pun intended" part all about after the trailer? I can only think of one thing, and that can't possibly be what I think it is.

It's an extremely bad pun. God in Japanese is kami, and "coming soon" as written in Japanese characters becomes "kamingu suun". Nadeko is pointing out how funny it is that she's saying "KAMIngu suun" when she's a "kami" herself.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
So um, I started watching bakemonogatari cause I thought this sounded interesting. I can handle the fetishization of every single woman on the show, but there was way too much naked 12 year old. And um, the next season is worse than this?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
If you're not in it for the dialog, the style, or the story, you're going to regret watching this series. Nise-'s fan service would make your eyes bleed if it were't for the absolutely gorgeous art. Unfortunately Nise- is prerequisite for this current season so you can't skip it if you wanted to watch this fantastic season.

Neko- Black is far better about its fan service than Nise- but it's still a bit worse than Bake-. But that op... god I love that op so much, even compared to the fantastic Nise- op's.

My point is that if you can't take Bake- levels of fanservice, you should probably not continue.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

gobbledygoat posted:

So um, I started watching bakemonogatari cause I thought this sounded interesting. I can handle the fetishization of every single woman on the show, but there was way too much naked 12 year old. And um, the next season is worse than this?

Bakemonogatari is basically a harem anime filtered through the lens of a sexually frustrated art major. Unfortunately, it's still a harem anime, and it comes with most of the baggage that implies. If the art and dialogue aren't enough to distract you from the naked teenagers, you might as well just stop. Nisemonogatai is significantly worse in this regard.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

ViggyNash posted:

If you're not in it for the dialog, the style, or the story, you're going to regret watching this series. Nise-'s fan service would make your eyes bleed if it were't for the absolutely gorgeous art. Unfortunately Nise- is prerequisite for this current season so you can't skip it if you wanted to watch this fantastic season.

Neko- Black is far better about its fan service than Nise- but it's still a bit worse than Bake-. But that op... god I love that op so much, even compared to the fantastic Nise- op's.

My point is that if you can't take Bake- levels of fanservice, you should probably not continue.

I loved the show's writing and direction but it's just... gently caress man she's like 13.

I think I'll keep going till I get too skeeved out to continue.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

gobbledygoat posted:

I loved the show's writing and direction but it's just... gently caress man she's like 13.

For the sake of the tread's amusement, keep going until you get to the "Gratuitous Toothbrushing" scene in Nise- (you'll know when you get there). I'm sure everyone else almost everyone else would love to witness your reaction.

But Nise- is understandably hard to swallow, and judging by your reaction so far you probably won't get more than a couple of episodes into it.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 17, 2013

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

I'm sure everyone else would love to witness your reaction.

Not really, discussion about fanservice, positive or negative, really bores me. Besides that ground has been tread so many times before it's gonna need repaving soon.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

gobbledygoat posted:

If you survive the toothbrushing you can take anything else that comes.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

veekie posted:

If you survive the toothbrushing you can take anything else that comes.

Nah. Peak loligatari is the bath scene with Shinobu. Tooth-brushing was pretty tame in comparison, I thought.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Nah. Peak loligatari is the bath scene with Shinobu. Tooth-brushing was pretty tame in comparison, I thought.

The direction of those scenes were particularly "sexy" though, and the toothbrush scene demonstrates that the director knows how to portray things as "sexy" even if they're not. Shinobu's nudity is treated as something trivial, and I'm of the opinion that if you think that's fanservice then there's either something wrong with you personally or, more likely, you have a very low opinion of the intended audience for this show. The latter of which isn't necessarily wrong, but it seems like a cynical way to perceive things.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Yeah the bath was basically nonsexual unless you were looking for it. It's kind of like opposites, toothbrushing with fully clothed characters being more disturbingly sexual than a bath scene that had a conversation more along the lines of a chat at a dining table.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
I felt more like the bath scene was framed to drive home how few shits Shinobu really gives about dumb human emotions like "shame", to contrast with her growing affection for Araragi. Or maybe I'm just reading way too much into a scene where a guy spends 10 minutes talking to a naked loli in his bathtub... Such is the nature of -monogatari, I suppose.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Bathtub scene was one of the more fluidly animated scenes in that season, but between all the suggestive shots from Sengoku, Kanbaru, and his sisters it didn't really come off as sexually charged. Plus it's the first time Shinobu talks and that's only led to fun conversations.

Lewd shots and harem poo poo aside, I like that the characters aren't just vapid caricatures and are all reasonably smart or fun to listen to (barring Sengoku before this season). Also sick :iceburn: from Senjougahara there, I totally agree.

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 17, 2013

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

:shrug:

What can I say? Toothbrushing feels more like a joke, than anything. It's hyperbolic comedy. Shinobu naked in the bath, on the other hand, really doesn't serve any purpose beyond "Hey, do you like naked 8-year-old girls? Here's some naked 8-year-old girl!" It's purely titillative. (And, yes, it is sexually framed, just not to the degree of other scenes).

Though I'll grant you, all of this had to be pointed out to me. The first time round, all I cared about was that Shinobu was finally talking. :swoon:

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Though I'll grant you, all of this had to be pointed out to me. The first time round, all I cared about was that Shinobu was finally talking. :swoon:
I think that was largely in common. A lot of "Holy poo poo, she talks!" followed by "Man she talks a lot"

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

veekie posted:

I think that was largely in common. A lot of "Holy poo poo, she talks!" followed by "Man she talks a lot"

That shouldn't have been a shock, after all the people who watched Nise obviously would know she talks a lot just based on watching Kizu firs--

Oh wait. :argh:

Also the toothbrushing scene was hilarious and I was too busy laughing hysterically to get sufficiently creeped out about it. (See, that happened after the fact :v:)

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

:shrug:

What can I say? Toothbrushing feels more like a joke, than anything. It's hyperbolic comedy. Shinobu naked in the bath, on the other hand, really doesn't serve any purpose beyond "Hey, do you like naked 8-year-old girls? Here's some naked 8-year-old girl!" It's purely titillative. (And, yes, it is sexually framed, just not to the degree of other scenes).

Eeeeh, I'd argue that. The bathtub scene was pretty clearly intended as a contrast to basically every other scene in Nisemonogatari until then. Note Araragi's lack of reaction, the lack of tension in the pacing, the way the camera seems to think it's a normal conversational scene rather than anything out of the ordinary. Even if it isn't entirely asexual in construction (as you claim), the fact it's far less so than everything else seems completely intentional. It isn't purposeless at all.

Really, one of the reasons I like Monogatari is that despite indulging in fanservice a lot, it's usually in service to the narrative and illuminates elements of the characters.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...
The bathtub scene, for me, felt like one of the most important and interesting moments of Nise. Shinobu became a character to me at that point, and she only got better from there out. Looking back on it, the tooth-brushing scene is pretty hosed up. But the first time I watched it, I think my jaw was on the loving floor. It was hilarious and definitely not made for fan service, but to illustrate Araragi's hosed up relationship with his sisters (and how truly hosed up Araragi is). The sheer "what the gently caress" factor just makes it funny. A similar scene happens in Tsukihi Phoenix, when Araragi just rips off Tsukihi's clothes and pushes her to the floor, right after he finished talking about how he's a "honest and reliable brother." It's loving hilarious.

i300 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 18, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't really hate on Nisemonogatari, it had my favorite conversation in the series.

"The courage to...." conversation was pretty loving wonderful.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I can't really hate on Nisemonogatari, it had my favorite conversation in the series.

"The courage to...." conversation was pretty loving wonderful.

I can basically forgive any weird poo poo that goes down between Hatchikuji and Koyomi, because their conversations are pretty much the reason I watch the show.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Tons of Hachikuji in the upcoming arc.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

darkgray posted:

Tons of Hachikuji in the upcoming arc.

What is the upcoming arc about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

coreycoryecorey posted:

What is the upcoming arc about?

Spoiler (albeit mild, I guess): Anomaly appears, chasing our heroes. Shinobu tells long story of when she encountered the anomaly many ages ago. Things happen.

Edit: Btw, this arc relies pretty heavily on stuff from Kizumonogatari, so it might be a bit weird for the anime-only viewers.

darkgray fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 18, 2013

• Locked thread