Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

VideoTapir posted:

I'm looking at multiple programs in economics, business administration, and one interesting engineering program if I could handle the math. All the programs I'm considering either don't require any test other than their own, or will accept GRE.

I went into the GRE cold 5 years ago, and scored 730. My current roommate shamed me with his 790, though, so I'm thinking I want to improve on that. I am currently attempting to do all of the Khan Academy learning dashboard math exercises. From what I remember that should probably cover everything I stumbled on before. Anyone know if anything's changed with the GRE in the last 5 years? Anyone know from experience if Khan Academy is a good preparation/refresher for graduate entrance exams?

There was a pretty big revision in 2011. The scoring system changed from 200-800 to 130-170, they got rid of analogies and antonyms, it's no longer adaptive between questions, there's an on-screen calculator, and it's generally littered with new question types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Well. Perhaps I should procure a study guide. Perhaps that was the intent.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Another thing is that they made the top few bins a lot more fine in the new scoring system. A 790 on the old score sounds great, right? You're just one level below the maximum possible. Now that translates to a 165 or something. There are three or four separate bins now whose percentiles matched up to a perfect 800 on the old test.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So sometime in the next year I'm going to take the GMAT then apply to UVA Darden School of Business for their EMBA program. A full one-third of the course is distance learning which is perfect because I'll have a full time job otherwise. The problem is I'm not sure if I want to live in Virginia longer than I have too, so how well does that year of coursework transfer to another schools program? Does it even transfer in any program?

Boon fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 9, 2013

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
If you don't want to live in VA, and you're looking for part time, I think the standard advice is to move somewhere you like, then go to school. Regional connections and all.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I was wondering whether or not I could get a head start on my MBA by taking the online part, then transferring those credit hours when I leave.

rouliroul
Mar 8, 2005

I'm all-in.
Got in the HEC Montreal MBA on the second try. So don't wait until the last round of admissions, and don't give up.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

The first post goes into this some, but that's 1500 posts and five years ago, so it feels like it couldn't hurt to ask: is there decent value for the amount of debt I'll rack up in pursuing an MBA from a less prestigious university? I'm in Vegas and looking at UNLV, wondering if I should take the plunge. My bachelor's degree doesn't seem to be taking me anywhere, and all my (paltry) connections are back in Texas, but I've heard so many horror stories about people graduating with mountains of debt I'm wondering if I shouldn't press my luck at a only 8k worth of student loans.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
An MBA isn't a free ride into a job, but it can help open doors when combined with your undergraduate degree.

It is important to note that it is not the solution to the "I can't find work" problem.There are many reasons why you may not be getting the resounding number of job interview opportunities you'd like. Is your resume or cover letter doing you little favors and in need of polishing? Are you applying for positions you are not qualified for? You may just end up in a pile of resumes and never make it to the top.

Have you tried to work with a search firm to find work? They tend to work on your behalf to match you with positions and polish your resume/cover letter. They're in the business of finding you work since that is how they make money, so they will make sure you get a job!

Look deep into yourself and think bigger picture. Yes, a graduate degree will help open doors but does it make sense with your undergraduate degree? What type of positions are you looking for? Do they all require MBA degrees to get your foot in the door for an interview? Have you looked into doing internships to gain industry experience?

MBA degrees aren't cheap and sadly a lot of employers will look down on where the degrees are obtained. A degree from the University of Phoenix isn't as highly valued as one from a University. And yes, there will be a large amount of debt. You'll also have to find time to invest in studies and it is difficult. The program is hard! And you'll need to pass a GMAT or GRE exam, so you're at least a year out. An MBA degree for $8,000 sounds very cheap and I'd be wondering about the quality of education you're receiving.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

$8,000 is the amount of debt I have after my undergraduate degree, which was a BBA from Texas A&M-CC-- I qualified for a lot of financial assistance, thanks to my GPA, and made use of it. UNLV's MBA program runs more in the realm in excess of $15k, from what I understand.

I've not hit up any employment agencies yet, but that's my next step. The positions I've been applying for I've been qualified for, however.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
To add, a huge part of the MBA is career services/recruiting, networking, and alumni. Make sure any MBA program you look at has a good track record with those things in a field you're interested in. And make sure that the MBA itself, not the university has a whole, has a good track record. Some schools have great track records for their MSA and Engineering, but not MBA, etc. Some not-so-great MBAs may have dual degree programs with better grad colleges that don't take a lot of extra time to complete as well.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Can someone give me a starting point and a general timeline breakdown for taking the GMAT? I want to start this weekend or next week, or whenever the needs to start are met, but I also need to know what the timeline for that is... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

rouliroul
Mar 8, 2005

I'm all-in.

Boon posted:

Can someone give me a starting point and a general timeline breakdown for taking the GMAT? I want to start this weekend or next week, or whenever the needs to start are met, but I also need to know what the timeline for that is... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Get "The Official Guide for GMAT Review " read it all and do all the questions. Plan 1-3 months of studying depending on how much time you can invest every day.
Register for the test at least a month in advance http://www.mba.com/the-gmat/schedule-a-gmat-appointment.aspx

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Can someone give me advice on choice of first job out of college if I am angling for an MBA in the future? I'm trying to decide between consulting companies, one of which is a lot more well-known but which I don't necessarily like as much, and am unsure how this will affect my MBA application prospects. PM me or email me at applepielon@gmail.com!

Also, any resources to learn more about how MBA admissions work would be awesome.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

Boon posted:

If you can find a used set of Manhattan GMAT prep books on eBay, I highly recommend the 60 day "Beat the GMAT" study schedule.

http://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide

Every day you're emailed an assignment that corresponds with the official guide book and one of the Manhattan GMAT books. If you stay on top of it, it'll be a motivator because it'll feel like you're in a class and held accountable for completing the day's problems/work/reading. I'd budget about 70 days from when you start in the event you skip one or two days due to real life circumstances.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

semicolonsrock posted:

Can someone give me advice on choice of first job out of college if I am angling for an MBA in the future? I'm trying to decide between consulting companies, one of which is a lot more well-known but which I don't necessarily like as much, and am unsure how this will affect my MBA application prospects. PM me or email me at applepielon@gmail.com!

Also, any resources to learn more about how MBA admissions work would be awesome.

I know we've been in touch via PM before - feel free to shoot me a message with the details.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

courtney_beth posted:

If you can find a used set of Manhattan GMAT prep books on eBay, I highly recommend the 60 day "Beat the GMAT" study schedule.

http://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide

Every day you're emailed an assignment that corresponds with the official guide book and one of the Manhattan GMAT books. If you stay on top of it, it'll be a motivator because it'll feel like you're in a class and held accountable for completing the day's problems/work/reading. I'd budget about 70 days from when you start in the event you skip one or two days due to real life circumstances.

Thanks to both of you. Books ordered, won't get here before the emails start flowing but I'll just backlog them. Should I then follow the books as the emails dictate or do I read them separately and then review with the emails?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

courtney_beth posted:

Have you tried to work with a search firm to find work? They tend to work on your behalf to match you with positions and polish your resume/cover letter. They're in the business of finding you work since that is how they make money, so they will make sure you get a job!

Just as a continuation on this: are there any sort of national agencies like this you know of? Specific search keywords I should be using to find these? I've tried local stuff in Vegas and.. well, the phrase "massively unhelpful" comes to mind. All of the independently operated search firms I've found either don't return calls/emails or go straight to voice mail, and the state run firm is 'self service'-- i.e. they just drop a big (incredibly outdated) list of jobs at you and let you use their computers.

Swear to God, Nevada's like a career black hole.

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

Boon posted:

Don't do what I did. I spent maybe a couple weeks on it, studying for a couple hours a night (and skipping a day here and there). My test scores were awful. For some reason, I assumed that I could largely blow off the test because I'm in engineering where I do math and write reports constantly.

On top of the comments you already received, search for "Thursdays with Ron", which you can find here: http://vimeo.com/manhattangmat/videos The guy is a Manhattan GMAT guy who got a perfect GMAT score and gives you tips on how to work problems.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012
I just graduated from university and am looking into grad school down the road. What kind of jobs are MBA programs generally looking for applicants to be in? I have a ton of experience in Human Resource and recruiting/volunteer management. An MBA program sounds like it would be up my alley, but I'm afraid I'd be at a disadvantage because I explicitly aren't doing anything in business.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

MikeyLikesIt posted:

I just graduated from university and am looking into grad school down the road. What kind of jobs are MBA programs generally looking for applicants to be in? I have a ton of experience in Human Resource and recruiting/volunteer management. An MBA program sounds like it would be up my alley, but I'm afraid I'd be at a disadvantage because I explicitly aren't doing anything in business.

Depends on the school, but non-traditional backgrounds are fine and sometimes desirable. The most important things are not your previous experience, but your likelihood to succeed in the program, what kind of value you'll provide to your classmates/cluster, and your plan for post-MBA.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

Boon posted:

Thanks to both of you. Books ordered, won't get here before the emails start flowing but I'll just backlog them. Should I then follow the books as the emails dictate or do I read them separately and then review with the emails?

Great question! The emails will instruct you as to which books, pages and problems to do. Consider them your instructor.

You should have the resources near by when you start and count "Day 1" when you open that first email and begin the program. I backlogged them under a tag/category in Gmail and then accessed them day by day when I started.

While you wait, take a free Princeton Review test to check on the "before" score to see where you're at so you can monitor your progress.

Frost000
Jan 10, 2004

So I did the GMAT just over a week ago after about 2-3 months of studying and got a 640 (Q44, V34) and in all honesty, considering my lack of a math background and whatnot, I'm pretty happy. I never even cracked a 600 on the practice exams, so a 640 on test day felt great! If anyone's wondering, I used the Official Guide, all of the Manhattan GMAT Strategy Guides along with their Quant/Verbal Foundations books and I even read through the Critical Reasoning Bible (by PowerScore).

In any case, I know that a 640 and my non-traditional background makes a top tier school a huge stretch for me. I'm still wondering if I should make an attempt at UCLA or just save the application money. I'm also looking into other schools that might be less of a stretch for me.

The other day I received an e-mail from EDHEC in Nice, France offering me a decently substantial Scholarship of Merit based on my GMAT score. I know my GMAT score is nothing to rave about even though it's good enough for the 73% percentile. Then I thought... Why would a seemingly good school (they've ranked fairly well in The Economist) go out of their way to offer me such a scholarship when I never even knew they existed, let alone contact them? Are they simply fishing for more applications so that their program's admissions rate gets inflated? Were they able to look at my demographic details (I guess available through GMAC) and decide that they'd love for me to at least apply to their MBA program?

Either way, they've gotten me to consider applying there, making my list of potential schools grow a tiny bit more.

Other random questions in case anyone's got answers:
-Has anyone heard of a place called European University? Looks like they at least used to have a bad rep but it still seems like a half decent program for a drat good price. And having the choice between which campus I'd want to study in during each term is a fun bonus. Assume that I'm fine with staying in Europe if the job potential afterwards is worth it (I'm a Canadian).
-Which would be the best places for either an Entertainment/Media or a Sports Management concentration in the US? Other than UCLA and NYU Stern (as far as Entertainment/Media is concerned since they're big stretch schools for me)...

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

I have not been following the thread, but if you'd be open to PT I don't think you should rule out Stern. It would be expensive, but probably not as expensive as moving to Europe.

Frost000
Jan 10, 2004

The thing with Part Time is that I'd have to be working during those 4 years and, being Canadian, working in the US is a major issue.

Another thing to consider is that if I want to do a 1 year program instead of a 2 year one, my living costs are split in half, all other elements being equal.

I've looked at living in Nice, France (if I were to be accepted at the EDHEC) and though it is more expensive than where I live now (Montreal) in general, it still ends up being much, much cheaper than living in NYC. LA is comparable to both Montreal in Nice, though I would absolutely need to get a car. You really don't need one here in Montreal... Don't know about Nice, though.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
You can get a TN visa to work as a Canadian, which is easier than being a random international.

Frost000
Jan 10, 2004

I was under the impression that in order to get a TN visa, I'd need an official job offer from an American employer and my job title would have to specifically linked to what I've been studying (my BA was in Communications). Plus, with a J1 as a student, it complicates things... No?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Frost000 posted:

I was under the impression that in order to get a TN visa, I'd need an official job offer from an American employer and my job title would have to specifically linked to what I've been studying (my BA was in Communications). Plus, with a J1 as a student, it complicates things... No?

You're better off than most other nationalities, that's all. Not saying it's a sure deal.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
What do yall think about part time MBAs offered at a satellite campus? Say with this scenario:

more highly ranked program, but the main campus is a different city.

slightly lower rank, primary campus is in home city.

The degree offered by the 1st option is the exact same as a part time in the home city or full time, but I would assume networking opportunities would be reduced. Although, it seems they offer all the same services and do have on-campus weekend events at the main location.

This may be moot since I might not qualify for one or either option but its something I haven't seen addressed.

J4Gently
Jul 15, 2013

Xguard86 posted:

What do yall think about part time MBAs offered at a satellite campus? Say with this scenario:

more highly ranked program, but the main campus is a different city.

slightly lower rank, primary campus is in home city.

The degree offered by the 1st option is the exact same as a part time in the home city or full time, but I would assume networking opportunities would be reduced. Although, it seems they offer all the same services and do have on-campus weekend events at the main location.

This may be moot since I might not qualify for one or either option but its something I haven't seen addressed.

From what perspective?
Prestige and recruiting opportunities, networking, quality of education?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I'd say order of priority:

1: networking and education tied

2: prestige

3: recruiting

I already have a pretty good job and I'm not looking for a big jump to consulting or high finance. I'd like to use an MBA to kind of realign my career to better match my strengths and move past my position as an analyst (excel/sql monkey) but I'm not looking to make a giant change.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 22, 2013

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
Just got notification that I've been selected for an interview with INSEAD. What should I expect? It will be conducted by an alumnus, so I'm guessing they can't put too much weight into it.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Smeef posted:

Just got notification that I've been selected for an interview with INSEAD. What should I expect? It will be conducted by an alumnus, so I'm guessing they can't put too much weight into it.

Give me a shout at o_makins@hotmail.com. Starting there in Jan so it's definitely fresh in mind!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Graduate in December with my MBA from Wayne State, got a job at one of the big 3.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
edit: Nevermind, went for it.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 20, 2013

Poop Faerie
Jun 22, 2009

Smeef posted:

Can also hit me up at Bo.Harrison@gmail.com, I'm in my second period at the Fontainebleau campus. I will say don't underestimate the interviews - they actually have quite a bit of weight. As I understand it, roughly half of applicants make it to interviews and there's still cutting to happen.

Which campus are you looking at? That also impacts the weight of your interview.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Graduate in December with my MBA from Wayne State, got a job at one of the big 3.

Congrats man! Truly ballin'.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
I had my first of two interviews today. I got along really well with the interviewer, but not sure if I was supposed to be talking more or not. It was very casual, and we only barely touched on the questions I know are required by the school. At the very least I passed the "is not a social retard" test.

I've got the second interview on Monday and expect it to be more formal since it's in a conference room during the working week. I'm glad the more casual interview was first, because I'll be ready for a sharper performance.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
I just can't get my quant up to a decent level and it's driving me mad :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
Well I just did my test and got 740. 49Q 41V. Thank god for the verbal long tail I suppose.