Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Just finished the AOW podcast and man I wish they had gone more into being in WCW the second time with nwo war stories and working with Hogan and poo poo, but they ran out of time. Still, another awesome one from Colt except the, uh, "phone call" which I'm still puzzled about. gently caress was the point of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
FYI Austin did a 2 part Scott Hall podcast interview as well, if someone wants to hear more from Da Bad Guy

It was a really great interview. Did Colt go over anything that Steve didn't?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Thauros posted:

Got a question that could work for the podcast and if not this is the de facto Meltzer thread anyway.

We've now seen Dave rate 6 matches ***** since Hell in the Cell 2011 after a 5 year period from 2006-2011 where he didn't grant any matches that honor.

What do you guys think that is the main reason behind this? Has the quality of the top matches has genuinely been better or did Dave simply mildly underrate some the top indie and WWE matches of that period like Danielson vs Nigel and Taker vs Shawn? Or was it simply that Dave wasn't watching as much puro?

I think AJPW and early NOAH were so strong for a while that it set a really high standard for ***** matches that led to some things that were probably worthy of the recognition being undervalued and we're getting far enough removed from the period that it's probably easier for him to give a match that rating now. There also just weren't as many matches worthy of it during that period.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Of those six matches you've got three Tanahashi matches and two Tanahashi/Okada matches. I think the easiest answer is "Dave thinks Tanahashi has developed into a Kobashi level main event singles worker," which he's also been fairly open about.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

I listened to the second part of the X-Pac interview on the Steve Austin Show, and he told the story of planting poo poo on Sunny's chicken sandwich. The funniest part to me was that it wasn't even his poo poo. Someone actually gave X-Pac a turd so he could run, sneak, and climb a chain link fence like a ninja to put it in someone's sandwich in a bag that was locked away in the arena.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Seriously, the amount of ribs I've heard involving X-Pac sneaking somewhere, the dude must be the loving Predator.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

VogeGandire posted:

Seriously, the amount of ribs I've heard involving X-Pac sneaking somewhere, the dude must be the loving Predator.
Well, really, it makes sense. Can you imagine Nash trying to do that?

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Perigryn posted:

Well, really, it makes sense. Can you imagine Nash trying to do that?

"Hey! Kevin! What's up?"
"I'm putting poo poo in this sandwich. Going to tell me no?"
"...I'm sure it will be delicious, sir."

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The Masked Man and Peter Rosenberg of Grantland have just started a 'cast, now two episodes in:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...lk-hogan-rumors

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Thauros posted:

Got a question that could work for the podcast and if not this is the de facto Meltzer thread anyway.

We've now seen Dave rate 6 matches ***** since Money in the Bank 2011 after a 5 year period from 2006-2011 where he didn't grant any matches that honor.

What do you guys think is the main reason behind this? Has the quality of the top matches has genuinely been better or did Dave mildly underrate some the top indie and WWE matches of that period like Danielson vs Nigel and Taker vs Shawn? Or was it simply that Dave wasn't watching as much puro?

6? I'm only counting 5, Ishii/Shibata, Tanahashi/Okada, Tanahashi/Suzuki, Punk/Cena, Richards/Elgin.

Wait, did the latest Tanahashi/Okada get 5?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I Before E posted:

6? I'm only counting 5, Ishii/Shibata, Tanahashi/Okada, Tanahashi/Suzuki, Punk/Cena, Richards/Elgin.

Yup.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

daaaaaaaaaaang

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

Of those six matches you've got three Tanahashi matches and two Tanahashi/Okada matches. I think the easiest answer is "Dave thinks Tanahashi has developed into a Kobashi level main event singles worker," which he's also been fairly open about.

I guess since I wasn't following NJPW before 2012 I wasn't sure if Tanahashi had really transcended to another another level or if Dave simply wasn't following NJPW as closely during that period. Also, even if you remove Tanahashi's three matches from the argument, the one non Tanahashi ***** match a year since 2011 is still a lot more than Dave was giving out the previous half a decade.

I'm well aware in the end it's just one guy's subjective opinion, and I tend to agree with Dave the majority of the time on whether a match was great, good, mediocre, or bad. It still seems odd to me for example that Richards/Elgin (which don't get me wrong was great) was the only ROH singles match after Joe/Kobashi worthy of the top rating.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 18, 2013

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I Before E posted:

It is a Good Match.

Okada and Tanahashi really coming into their own and having a company-defining feud has to be a big part of it. I really wonder if there aren't some matches from the dry-spell period that he could take a second look at; as sportsgenius86 said, it might just be a matter of comparison to the earlier stuff when it seemed like snowflakes were raining down from the sky like, um, snowflakes.

That analogy kind of fell apart on me.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thauros posted:

I guess since I wasn't following NJPW before 2012 I wasn't sure if Tanahashi had really transcended to another another level or if Dave simply wasn't following NJPW as closely during that period. Also, even if you remove Tanahashi's three matches from the argument, the one non Tanahashi ***** match a year since 2011 is still a lot more than Dave was giving out the previous half a decade.

I'm well aware in the end it's just one guy's subjective opinion, and I tend to agree with Dave the majority of the time on whether a match was great, good, mediocre, or bad. It still seems odd to me for example that Richards/Elgin (which don't get me wrong was great) was the only ROH singles match after Joe/Kobashi worthy of the top rating.

The Dragon Gate Six Man from Supercard of Honor in 2006 also got five stars. NJPW being on iPPV lets Dave watch more of it than he did before, and NJPW is way better than it was 3 or 4 years ago.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I don't think Richards/Elgin was a ***** match, and I don't think Punk/Cena was anywhere close, but I do distinctly understand why those matches got those ratings. I very much understand why the Michaels/Undertaker matches were not ***** (the first one had a terrible botch, the second one Michaels did a bunch of submissions that nobody bought). I also don't think there's a considerable difference between ****3/4 and *****, nor do I think Dave puts nearly as much time into deciding quarter-star differences as people do analyzing them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

What the hell was going on at the end of the Steve Austin Show with David Lee Roth? Roth was rambling a bit but I could still follow (thanks to his many queries on whether Austin was following him) his point... then out of nowhere Austin just cuts him off and ends the show. It was weird.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There were a lot of ****+ matches from ROH in 2010 when they were still pretty hot (for an indy).

4/3/10 Chris Hero/Claudio Castagnoli vs. Jay Briscoe/Mark Brisco "not far behind ****1/2"
4/3/10 Tyler Black vs. Austin Aries vs. Roderick Strong "in the ****1/2 range"
6/19/10 Tyler Black vs. Davey Richards "probably in the ****3/4 range"
9/11/10 Charlie Haas/Shelton Benjamin vs. Chris Hero/Claudio Castagnoli "probably in the ****1/4 range"
12/18/10 Davey Richards vs. Roderick Strong ****1/4
12/18/10 El Generico vs. Kevin Steen (Lights Out/Mask vs. Loser Leaves Town) ****1/4

He just didn't watch a whole bunch, ironically because iPPV wasn't as established (yet, it actually worked at the time).

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

FYI Austin did a 2 part Scott Hall podcast interview as well, if someone wants to hear more from Da Bad Guy

It was a really great interview. Did Colt go over anything that Steve didn't?

I haven't listened to the Austin one, but Hall told Colt that the Curtain Call at MSG was cleared with Vince before any of them went out there? This is literally the first I've ever heard of that from any of Nash, HBK, HHH, Hall or anyone else in the Kliq. He says that Michaels asked if Hunter could come out, Vince asked Michaels if it was 'important to him', HBK says it was, and Vince gave them the go-ahead. Was that talked about with Austin, because that was kind of surprising to me.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Nash and Hall both said as much on separate SCSA podcasts. Vince gave it the ok, but changed his mind after the dressing room went apeshit.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
So I've been wondering with all this Dave 5 Star chat, but is there an official list by him that has all the matches he himself has given 5 Stars?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

KungFu Grip posted:

So I've been wondering with all this Dave 5 Star chat, but is there an official list by him that has all the matches he himself has given 5 Stars?

On wikipedia, even.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

This is actually missing a few, notably the FMW and SMW matches.

http://starratingslist.blogspot.com/2009/09/wrestling-observer-5-star-ratings-list.html

The list isn't complete but the other matches are in the comments.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 18, 2013

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
A five star SMW match?!?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

The public lists, in addition to the FMW/SMW stuff, are missing a shitload of All-Japan Women, the Landover Flair/Steamboat match that he rated "five-and-a-half to six stars," and probably a half-dozen other matches.

LordPants posted:

A five star SMW match?!?

It was a War Games match from 93 and it included Taz of all people.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Todd's Curtis Axel joke :ughh:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

sportsgenius86 posted:

Todd's Curtis Axel joke :ughh:

What was it?? Don't leave me hanging

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

triplexpac posted:

What was it?? Don't leave me hanging

Did you hear about the furniture store Curtis Axel bought in Hawaii? It's called Curtis Ikea

E: I just realized you might have been joking

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

sportsgenius86 posted:

Did you hear about the furniture store Curtis Axel bought in Hawaii? It's called Curtis Ikea

:golfclap:

Bravo mr Martin.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

sportsgenius86 posted:

No I wasn't joking at all, I never listen to Todd shows but I love hearing about him being weird or lame.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The Wiki list was a lot more complete, then it changed formats a few times for no very good reason and the SMW and AJPW stuff got lost in the process.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Thauros posted:

The Wiki list was a lot more complete, then it changed formats a few times for no very good reason and the SMW and AJPW stuff got lost in the process.

IIRC the famous crazy wrestling wiki editors demand a primary, public (so not a paper copy of the newsletter, a message board poster talking about his copy of the newsletter, or even something behind the WON/F4W site paywall) source for those kinds of things, which inherently makes it incomplete.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

triplexpac posted:

No I wasn't joking at all, I never listen to Todd shows but I love hearing about him being weird or lame.

Sorry. Bryan said something similar to your post when Todd mentioned he had a joke to tell so I wasn't sure

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I kept waiting for either of them to make a Scott Steiner reference at the start of the Todd show but oh well

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Hardcore Holly show is another great one. It's so weird how good his shows are.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

It's weird because it's the same with some Cabana shows. You don't think someone is going to be a good listen at all but they end up being great.

Me and Goog recorded some stuff. This is going to be an odd... variety podcast. If you like baseball you will like it.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 20, 2013

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

HulkaMatt posted:

It's weird because it's the same with some Cabana shows. You don't think someone is going to be a good listen at all but they end up being great.

It's different with Holly because for years he had the reputation of being a miserable prick, an antiquated locker room enforcers who only had a job due to loyalty... and while he's kind of like that, he's up front and honest about everything so who cares. Except for the miserable prick part, he doesn't come off that way at all. I expected to actively dislike him.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Hulkamatt what if I don't like baseball

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

oatgan posted:

Hulkamatt what if I don't like baseball

Then I hope you like Pokemon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan