Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I've been on a 4gb cap for the last couple of years, and my contract is about to run up. Is there any chance if I renew the contract that'll be able to keep the 4gb limit and not get bumped down to 2gb? The 4gb was a promotional deal as I recall, so I'm worried that'll get dumped if I take a new subsidized phone and start a new contract.

I've never hit the 4gb mark, but go over 2 some months with heavy browsing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I've been on a 4gb cap for the last couple of years, and my contract is about to run up. Is there any chance if I renew the contract that'll be able to keep the 4gb limit and not get bumped down to 2gb? The 4gb was a promotional deal as I recall, so I'm worried that'll get dumped if I take a new subsidized phone and start a new contract.

I did an upgrade the other day for someone and the system allowed the 4GB/$30 promo to stay instead of bouncing it down to the 2GB/$30. May just be a side effect of us having to use a different system now for activations/upgrades :shrug:

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

When they were doing the promo they said you could keep it through upgrades. When I got my 5s at the Apple store there was no choice for 4gb/$30, I called VZW and they put it back in one phone call.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Shut the gently caress up about goddamn unlimited.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Magic Underwear posted:

When they were doing the promo they said you could keep it through upgrades. When I got my 5s at the Apple store there was no choice for 4gb/$30, I called VZW and they put it back in one phone call.

Alright I'll give that a try when I go through that next month. Thanks for the advice.

Magic Underwear posted:

Now that you mention it I remember that too. Should be a decent point to start an argument with VZW if I have to.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Yeah it works, I just upgraded one line of a family plan and we kept the 4gb "double dara" promo from a while back.

I hit the sweet spot of Verizon then, this promo and early upgrade eligibility

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

My wife's 5S just arrived and the customer receipt shows "Data Package 2GB/$30" instead of unlimited.

Going to call up VZW and see if they'll actually honor the upgrade glitch or not.

Edit: Spoke to a representative who was very helpful. She asked me to send a copy of the confirmation email that showed my unlimited data on the line. Once she received that, she notated my account and confirmed I should keep unlimited. She also told me that when I do try to activate the phone and it does knock me down to the 2GB plan, to just tell the rep to check the account notes and I should get unlimited back.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 15, 2013

Jik Waffleson
Jul 30, 2012
My wife's 5S that was upgraded during the glitch also just came in, and the unlimited was on the receipt and is on the account. Hooray for things working correctly.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
If you do a store trade in for credit, but the Verizon store doesn't have your new phone in stock do you have to wait until it is in stock to purchase or can you take your phone in when your new phone arrives so you don't go phone-less?

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/10/17/verizon-slashes-prices-on-new-droid-family-droid-maxx-to-199-ultra-to-99/#more-122383 - Verizon dropped pricing on their current Droid phones, and most of you won't care.

However, un-subsidized pricing on other smartphones has been cut, too. The LG G2 is now $549.99, as is the HTC One, and the Galaxy S3 is at $399.99. Oddly, the Lumia 928 is back up to $499.99. The comedy option: the Blackberry Z10 is now $299.99.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

pr0craztinazn posted:

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/10/17/verizon-slashes-prices-on-new-droid-family-droid-maxx-to-199-ultra-to-99/#more-122383 - Verizon dropped pricing on their current Droid phones, and most of you won't care.

However, un-subsidized pricing on other smartphones has been cut, too. The LG G2 is now $549.99, as is the HTC One, and the Galaxy S3 is at $399.99. Oddly, the Lumia 928 is back up to $499.99. The comedy option: the Blackberry Z10 is now $299.99.

That is pretty awesome for the MAXX to be down to $199. I'd take that in a second if I could deal with VZ.

Jik Waffleson
Jul 30, 2012
Anyone have experience with the Verizon phone trade in program? I had my iPhone 4S 64MB appraised on the site, and they offered $220 (which beats Apple's offer of $185, and most of the other sites that I've seen as well). I don't want to deal with meeting people in person from craigslist (with the possible rip off risk), so that price seems decent.

Is it possible to take the phone to the store instead of mailing it to them?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
You'd probably get $300-$400 selling it on eBay especially if it's unlocked. $220's not bad for an easy upgrade swap if you just want to get it over with. I think it's online-only but it's probably worth calling a corporate store to check.

Adding to what pr0craztinazn said above, the Droid MAXX is currently at the same subsidized price as the X right now. The Ultra's been pushed down to $99 so it's a somewhat better deal compared to the X than it was yesterday. The Q10 is still priced at $199 though which is delusional.

edit: Didn't know that. $220's looking like a decent tradeoff then if you don't want to wait on eBay.
VVV

future ghost fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 18, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Verizon doesn't unlock 4s's, I believe. I got $265 on for mine, sadly. Though that was after a $320 bid won and the rear end in a top hat never paid or even replied.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Endless Mike posted:

Verizon doesn't unlock 4s's, I believe. I got $265 on for mine, sadly. Though that was after a $320 bid won and the rear end in a top hat never paid or even replied.

They will unlock for international, but not domestic roaming.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BITCOIN MINING RIG posted:

edit: Didn't know that. $220's looking like a decent tradeoff then if you don't want to wait on eBay.
VVV
The Verizon 4s is kind of a poo poo phone for resale. It's not unlocked for domestic use, and has no LTE, so the resale is about as low as possible without being a Sprint phone. The 5 will have better resale after the same length of time and the 5s even better.

But yeah, really angry about that. Apparently ebay doesn't let you give negative feedback for people who don't pay anymore. You can file a non-payor thing, but it isn't reflected on their reputation. The dude, AFTER my auction ended had a BUNCH of "positive" feedback saying he doesn't pay.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
We're probably going to move our business accounts over to Verizon within the next few weeks. I know all cell companies are pieces of poo poo by nature, but nothing can be as f'd up as US Cellular right now.

We went 3 months without a bill while they switched to their new billing system. I went in Monday to shut down one of our lines and move our business phones over to a new shared plan. 3 days later and neither of these things are accomplished, because they can't get it through their new updated system.

One good thing I think is that between 2010 and July of this year they had no contracts on phones, so I don't think we'll get hit with a huge termination fee when we switch over since all of our phones were purchased during this no contract time.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Jik Waffleson posted:

Anyone have experience with the Verizon phone trade in program? I had my iPhone 4S 64MB appraised on the site, and they offered $220 (which beats Apple's offer of $185, and most of the other sites that I've seen as well). I don't want to deal with meeting people in person from craigslist (with the possible rip off risk), so that price seems decent.

A friend did it through the corporate store for his 4. They gave him $100 for an 8 gig one. I'm guessing you can do the same

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Jik Waffleson posted:

Sent a friend of mine in the other day with a T-Mobile iPhone 5. She was in and out in about 10 minutes.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

BITCOIN MINING RIG posted:

You'd probably get $300-$400 selling it on eBay especially if it's unlocked. $220's not bad for an easy upgrade swap if you just want to get it over with. I think it's online-only but it's probably worth calling a corporate store to check.

You really can't. maybe 275ish, and then after ebay fees you are only 20 bucks or so ahead.

Jik Waffleson
Jul 30, 2012
So, I went to the corporate store, they took the trade in, no problems. Giving up potentially $50 was definitely worth not waiting, and not worrying about the transaction working out, the phone getting broken in the mail, or just some dude robbing me and running off with it.

In fact the whole experience worked out so well (keeping unlimited from the glitch and trade in, plus getting a case for my wife's 5s for $10) that I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and for Verizon to screw me in some wholly unexpected way.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Jik Waffleson posted:

So, I went to the corporate store, they took the trade in, no problems. Giving up potentially $50 was definitely worth not waiting, and not worrying about the transaction working out, the phone getting broken in the mail, or just some dude robbing me and running off with it.

In fact the whole experience worked out so well (keeping unlimited from the glitch and trade in, plus getting a case for my wife's 5s for $10) that I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and for Verizon to screw me in some wholly unexpected way.

Cell phones are giving us cancer.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
So I just ordered a 5S on Verizon, and I want to do the phone trade in thing, I have a 4S on Sprint. I'm still using it now since the 5S hasn't shipped yet, so how does that work? Do I just go in a Verizon store when I get the 5S and trade my 4S in? or is it some kind of limited time thing?

Jik Waffleson
Jul 30, 2012
Get an appraisal at https://www.trade-in.vzw.com/home.php5?c=en-us

You can mail it in or bring it to a corporate store to get paid (with a Verizon gift card which you can pay your bill with). I'm not sure if the entire program expires 10/31, or just the better rates. You can get the appraisal now, and you have a little time to send the phone in if you are waiting on shipment.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
Going in today to attempt an upgrade on 2 iPhones from 2100 minutes / unlimited data to 2100 minutes / 6GB max plan. Hopefully we'll be able to convince the Verizon guy to let us get on the max plan. Any thing special I need to say? I've already got the codes for the plans earlier in the thread.I have hotspot, wife doesn't. If they don't let me get on max, I'll just hold on to my iPhone 4s for a little while longer and hopefully they're will be another promotion.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I went in today to upgrade my GNex to MAXX but was told I have to sign up for EDGE to get the 6GB plan. Is it better to try over the phone or should I try a different rep?

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
I'd try a different rep. I went into a corp store today and ordered 2 5s iPhones, one with 8gb+hotspot max and one with 6gb max. Didn't even have to show the guy the codes. He kept trying to get me to do edge but I just kept saying no. He was cool and just did everything from his iPad. Didn't have any problems other than them trying to pus edge.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Is there anyway to get tethering on my iPhone 5s without paying another $30 a month to go from a 6gig cap to 8 gig?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

kensei posted:

I went in today to upgrade my GNex to MAXX but was told I have to sign up for EDGE to get the 6GB plan. Is it better to try over the phone or should I try a different rep?

You can just get it noted on your account over the phone, and do the 2GB plan, and they can swap it to the 6GB when you call in after the purchase.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Cozmosis posted:

You can just get it noted on your account over the phone, and do the 2GB plan, and they can swap it to the 6GB when you call in after the purchase.

Well hell that's pretty awesome.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

nerox posted:

Is there anyway to get tethering on my iPhone 5s without paying another $30 a month to go from a 6gig cap to 8 gig?

Jailbreak.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Or find someone with a developer account to build this for you as an ad hoc build. Hasn't been updated in a while but maybe it still works.

https://code.google.com/p/iphone-socks-proxy/

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

So, no.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
The nexus 5 is definitely not going to be coming to VZW correct? I'm ready to upgrade my Gnex and besides the Note 3 that is the only other phone I'm interested in. If there's a chance I can get a Nexus 5 I'll wait but otherwise I'll be dropping the coin for the Note 3.

My situation is that I use shitloads of data so I can't give up my grandfathered unlimited and I REALLY like the note 3. Its looking like buying an unsubsidized note is the only option if I can't have a Nexus 5. Is there any way to avoid paying $700 for a note 3 besides signing away my unlimited data? So far I can't see any other choice if I want to get that phone.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Is there any way to separate a unlimited line from a family plan before we change it to some shared data one, so I can keep my unlimited line and stay separate?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I've got a 4S, out of contract, looking to upgrade to 5S. I have unlimited data but no device-swap-upgrade-trick or whatever available so if I want to keep that and get an upgrade price my options are:
Find a store manager who's willing to run the risk of an audit for me (I consider this unlikely), or
Pay the full device cost up front.
Right? Otherwise the second-best option looks like this 6GB/$30 plan?

My real question, assuming I understand the data end, is voice. I use basically none of it. What's the cheapest voice plan I can possibly get myself into? I've been a vzw customer for years so I'm on a loyalty plan already but if there's a better one I'm all for it. Pretty sure mine is $30/mo for voice with 200 anytime but I could almost go without a voice plan and pay per minute given how little I use it. Quite a few months go by where I use zero voice minutes. I'd love to get that cost down if I can.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

My situation is that I use shitloads of data so I can't give up my grandfathered unlimited and I REALLY like the note 3. Its looking like buying an unsubsidized note is the only option if I can't have a Nexus 5. Is there any way to avoid paying $700 for a note 3 besides signing away my unlimited data? So far I can't see any other choice if I want to get that phone.

Wait a few months and buy one for $450-500 used.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

ACID POLICE posted:

Is there any way to separate a unlimited line from a family plan before we change it to some shared data one, so I can keep my unlimited line and stay separate?
You can spin it off to a single line like the 450 or 900. Those plans with unlimited SMS are 59.99 & 79.99 before adding the 29.99 unlimited data plan.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Is there any way to get the Verizon Max plan without signing up for Edge? I'm willing to lose my unlimited data to lock in 6gb, which is plenty for me. If I don't do Max my option is to switch my family voice plan to a shared plan, which increases my monthly rate by at least $20. I'm considering using the upgrade on my dumb phone line, then switching the phone to the unlimited line. This seems risky because if Verizon kills my unlimited data on the no-contract line I'm still stuck for 2 years.

At this point I'm wondering if it's easier and cheaper to switch to T-Mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

big mean giraffe posted:

Wait a few months and buy one for $450-500 used.

I may end up doing this. It may be longer than a few months before they come down into that price range though. I thought the Note 2s would be going for peanuts when the 3 came out but even those are still going for $4-500.

Are there still any workarounds at all to get a subsidized phone and retain unlimited data?

• Locked thread