Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
noxiousg
May 24, 2013

I just figured out how to collect your own bounty. Stand next to a propane tank. Shoot it. When it explodes and kills you, you get two messages immediately;

You have survived the Bounty placed on you.
You have committed suicide.

The bounty goes into your bank, minus the $2,000 death fee.

Some extra details, just in case they make a difference: Only shoot the propane tank once so it starts to leak, then wait for it to explode. I've only done it with the Propane tank by the gun store in Sandy Shores.

noxiousg fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

Like how is that even POSSIBLE?

You/whoever was hosting had Catch Up turned on.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Goddamnit I am so loving sick of morons who start the race and IMMEDIATELY RAM INTO YOU / PIT you. Both of us flip the gently caress over! It helps NO ONE except the guy in front who didnt get hit and gets 1/2 a track ahead. Goddamnit what the gently caress is your loving problem!

E: I'm also really pissed about how people magically catch up to you in the same loving car. Like one race I was 4 check points in front of this guy, in second place, both in the same stock car, and then at the last check point he blows past me and I get in third. Like how is that even POSSIBLE??? No he didn't have a custom car.

:suicide:

Most people crash you in an attempt to knock you out while also maintaining their own speed. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. But, if you know that you just need to barely tap/clip them to wipe them out then yeah, everyone will go for it.

Imagine if it was like NASCAR and everyone had to watch a Yellow Flag replay :v:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Dragonatrix posted:

You/whoever was hosting had Catch Up turned on.

Catch Up was off :negative:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Lunethex posted:

Most people crash you in an attempt to knock you out while also maintaining their own speed. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. But, if you know that you just need to barely tap/clip them to wipe them out then yeah, everyone will go for it.

Imagine if it was like NASCAR and everyone had to watch a Yellow Flag replay :v:

I don't ram into people until they blatantly do it to me. Did a bunch of races and only a couple guys went out of their way to ram into me. :shrug: I thought it would be worse. Sometimes I accidentally ran into people because I underestimated how insane drafting is.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
I let everyone get out on front of me in races. Then after the initial first few seconds when everyone runs one another off the road I'm always in first or second.

Now, holding on to that lead is another story.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Kelly posted:

I let everyone get out on front of me in races. Then after the initial first few seconds when everyone runs one another off the road I'm always in first or second.

I really want to murder catch up in the worst possible way.

On the other hand, I am very mature.

VV I love getting 100RP for those races. Really makes you feel good :allears:

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 18, 2013

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pubbie racing in three easy steps:

- The Commute with super cars, no traffic, no cops, catch-up on, custom cars on.
- 16 racers get into a big clusterfuck of somersaults and pirouettes within the first twenty yards. One guy in his souped up Entity makes it out unscathed and wins.
- Repeat for hours with no variation.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Kelly posted:

That's basically my strategy too, and I've actually won races since I started using it.

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.
Does anyone want to trade races tonight for an hour or so? My GT:Thunderfunk

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Got to play with a couple of goons, but for the most part the invites I kept getting led to full lobbies so I ended up slumming it with pubbies for a while. After a mission, one of them decided to try to kill me immediately after we respawned in free roam. I retaliated and murdered him over and over until he requested a 1v1 deathmatch that I couldn't accept without paying a $500 fine because I had a wanted level (that this is even a thing is just :wtc: on Rockstar's part). When it started he immediately left and some other schmuck in the lobby became my deathmatch opponent, except the kills we made didn't count towards winning the 1v1.

It wasn't all bullshit though. I got to play Mixed Up With Coke, which is pretty fun. I ended being the last one alive chasing down the final cement truck. I got killed by the enemy Buzzard's rockets, but the same volley also blew up the truck so we won. :downs: Kinda sucks you have to be fairly high level to unlock more interesting missions than car repo or drug delivery.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Party Plane Jones posted:

The life invader discounts for stalking are pretty useful for buying expensive things. 10% off a car is nice.

explain?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

UnknownMercenary posted:

Got to play with a couple of goons, but for the most part the invites I kept getting led to full lobbies so I ended up slumming it with pubbies for a while. After a mission, one of them decided to try to kill me immediately after we respawned in free roam. I retaliated and murdered him over and over until he requested a 1v1 deathmatch that I couldn't accept without paying a $500 fine because I had a wanted level (that this is even a thing is just :wtc: on Rockstar's part). When it started he immediately left and some other schmuck in the lobby became my deathmatch opponent, except the kills we made didn't count towards winning the 1v1.

The one and only deathmatch I've ever had I had no guns :suicide:

needless to say I lost, but fortunately I had the last laugh cuz I ran over him back in pubspace before he quit

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.
drat. It is super hard to lose 5 star wanted level. I did it though. Only way I could was have Lester locate the sub for me and dive our in the ocean.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

E: I'm also really pissed about how people magically catch up to you in the same loving car. Like one race I was 4 check points in front of this guy, in second place, both in the same stock car, and then at the last check point he blows past me and I get in third. Like how is that even POSSIBLE??? No he didn't have a custom car.

:suicide:

Slipstreaming most likely.

Sefiros posted:

Does anyone else ever have any problems getting on any more? If I ever try to play online after around 10pm I can't get on for the life of me. It either can't find sessions or fails to host sessions. I'm not sure what the problem is as it works fine during the day and I doubt it's overloaded servers considering everyone else seems to be playing the game fine.

It sucks y'all.

My buddy was getting that tonight, he dashboarded out and rejoined and it worked fine again. He's on stolen wireless so it's always a little shaky with him anyway.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Harmonica posted:

The trouble is that if everything is available from the beginning, if the weapons aren't dirt cheap you create a system where you absolutely have to grind from the beginning to own the really expensive hardware. In that case, if you don't grind at all, you're going to get destroyed by those running around with AKs and RPGs. If the weapons are dirt cheap, though, then they remove a huge amount of longevity from the game (however artificial that longevity is), and everyone gets the fancy toys from day one and gets bored a few weeks later.

You could argue it's kind of ridiculous making weapons part of the grinding since there's relatively little novelty in unlocking weapons in GTA (especially considering that people will have probably already played with them in single player). Or perhaps they just haven't done a good enough job of making the weapons exciting. It's no Saints Row in this respect, after all. The weapons just do the job.

Anyway, they went with unlockable weapons, and from that point they have to be gated according to levels, since levels are the one thing that people will all achieve as a natural process of playing all parts of online. Giving people an incentive to level up is important, to ensure people stick around playing activities.

I'm not sure what else they could do if weapons were available to anyone, and relatively inexpensive. I was thinking maybe some kind of weapon upkeep system, with the more powerful weapons costing more to maintain, and performing dramatically worse if people didn't repair their expensive gear. As opposed to your cheap handguns and uzis not costing much beyond refilling ammo.

Well we aren't really playing a MMO, it would be nice to get rid of the grind and simply release content. Some of the modes are quite fun while others can be a little unbalanced with the right weapons (sticky bombs will make missions where you have to destroy something on the other team quite easy.

At the moment, there are some really cool missions that actually require teamwork. The one off the top of my head is landing strip. But half of the modes online suck pretty hard. But there is only so much that you can do in the game right now that I have to question if it will maintain its longevity regardless.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
What level do buzzards start spawning?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Go to LifeInvader through your Social Club page, stalk the various businesses on there, receive one-time discounts.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Away all Goats posted:

That's basically my strategy too, and I've actually won races since I started using it.

It's great with any super car race - they lose control with the slightest bump. Long as you hang back, those dummies are busy flipping their Adders upside down on top of one another.

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.
You get to keep your bad sport dunce cap after bad sport hell?

Also,

Why? Why not.

Intrepid00 fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 18, 2013

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

all apologies posted:

So, I wait three days in the badsport lobby, with passive mode on. I get into a normal lobby free roam, get kicked randomly, end up back in bad-sport with 4 more days.

Got to be joking me

This is such a loving joke man, I mean seriously? If I was glitching money, loving cheating or something then I understand. Okay, I blew up some cars, did my time in bad-sport world, then I got hosed, again.

I remember getting kicked from a round because the host had a lovely internet connection and it giving me a warning to stop being a bad sport. I was wondering if you could get nailed for that, and now I know. :sigh:
They should seriously remove bad sport from blowing up cars and fix it so it takes the deductible from your bank instead of cash on-hand. Bad sport should only be for voluntarily quitting mid-round/TK'ing in missions. If people don't want to be killed in free-roam, R* should fix passive mode, not punish us for playing the drat game.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
Can't find any games with fellow BOYS to join, down for missions or whatever though. GT: nudejedi . Holla.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Knightmare posted:

Slipstreaming most likely.

What's slipstreaming?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

What's slipstreaming?

Behind a moving car is an area of low pressure. By staying in this low pressure stream your car is experiencing less air resistance than the car in front of you. This should allow you to accelerate much faster and temporarily reach a higher top speed. This can allow you to slingshot around a car if you ride the stream up to the car and then dart around them.

Here's a good demo from Gran Turismo 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZj2vY2vC2w

Shalebridge Cradle fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 18, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

What's slipstreaming?

Other than rubbin, it's the only other thing you should know about racing.

Drafting. Reduced wind drag when behind another car. Can help you close the gap and slingshot past.

When do buzzards spawn?

TheOne
May 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT RUINING EVERYBODY'S LIFE

Feenix posted:

Drafting. Reduced wind drag when behind another car. Can help you close the gap and slingshot past.

When do buzzards spawn?

when two vultures have sex. I hope that helps, I figured your parents would tackle the birds and the bees.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Feenix posted:

When do buzzards spawn?

40ish. That's when I started seeing them.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Feenix posted:

When do buzzards spawn?

What's a rubbin.

Unless that's a joke, I am not so smart.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

What's a rubbin.

Unless that's a joke, I am not so smart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEPwDIGWYug

That's a rubbin'

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

Arrath posted:

40ish. That's when I started seeing them.

Level 44 is when I got them.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Intrepid00 posted:

Level 44 is when I got them.

Yeah that could be right. I want paying much attention, I just went by a helipad sometime around unlocking the carbine rifle and :woop: there's a buzzard!

e: Although I'm only level 43, sooo :v:

Arrath fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 18, 2013

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."

Catch Up was off :negative:

I've had the same problem, where catch up was on, but I couldn't catch up. Or catch up was off, custom cars were off, and some guy managed to gain on me (no, not using slipstreaming, he was much further away) using the same car, while I was not slowing down on a straight road. I could understand slipstreaming eventually, but I don't think that works if he's like 10 seconds behind me.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Need some beers with that :clint:

Reb posted:

I've had the same problem, where catch up was on, but I couldn't catch up. Or catch up was off, custom cars were off, and some guy managed to gain on me (no, not using slipstreaming, he was much further away) using the same car, while I was not slowing down on a straight road. I could understand slipstreaming eventually, but I don't think that works if he's like 10 seconds behind me.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with that problem, then.

Need some guns with that :clint:

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

nudejedi posted:

Can't find any games with fellow BOYS to join, down for missions or whatever though. GT: nudejedi . Holla.

Join our game, BOYS

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Dick Jones posted:

Female player models are all 6 feet tall too. I tried making a petite woman and even with the sports hours down to zero she has WNBA dimensions. Are all bodies sized equally to prevent players from getting Oddjob benefits during gunfights? Has anyone successfully made a teeny man or woman?

My guy is under 5 feet tall if the intro where you meet Lamar is any indication. I don't think he even came up to his shoulders. It's sensible to assume that differences in lifestyle wouldn't affect that, only parents.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Intrepid00 posted:

You get to keep your bad sport dunce cap after bad sport hell?

Also,

Why? Why not.

Oh man I hope this is called the Buchannon

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Just hanging out atop the Maze building with some bros when a guest arrives.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
You guys would be surprised how long it takes you to get to top speed. It's likely that they just took a corner really well and came out of it at a higher speed.

You know, I really like racing in this game, though. Obviously the damage model is top-notch, and the slipstreaming mechanic rides a nice little arcade-style line. It's just a shame that a significant part of it is learning which cars are straight-up the best.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Question I have 400K in the bank which property should I buy? The consensus seems to be that the most expensive one isn't that great view wise yeah?

I have a dilemma where I wanted some left over because I'm saving for a buzzard but at the same time any money leftover I have to "deposit" back into my bank characters cash and you can only do 10K at a time which is a BITCH to launder

Intrepid00 posted:

drat. It is super hard to lose 5 star wanted level. I did it though. Only way I could was have Lester locate the sub for me and dive our in the ocean.

If I can get there I usually grab a chopper. Copper choppers chase you relentlessly and it's hard to lose them without picking up speed by going low to the ground but usually they break off at some point anyway. Still takes a bitch long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

Question I have 400K in the bank which property should I buy? The consensus seems to be that the most expensive one isn't that great view wise yeah?

I have a dilemma where I wanted some left over because I'm saving for a buzzard but at the same time any money leftover I have to "deposit" back into my bank characters cash and you can only do 10K at a time which is a BITCH to launder

If I can get there I usually grab a chopper. Copper choppers chase you relentlessly and it's hard to lose them without picking up speed by going low to the ground but usually they break off at some point anyway. Still takes a bitch long time.

223k. The location is much better than the more expensive one, you can get a helicopter in less than a minute and it's easy to pass by without making a special trip. The view is also very nice.

• Locked thread