Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

I'm super excited, flying to DC to go to Minibar this saturday for my burrfday.

I know DC has lots of great restaurants, I've been several times over the last couple years, but any of you have any specific recommendations? I can't remember if any of the regulars actually live in DC...

also I guess looking for off the beaten track fun things to do, since apparently THE ENTIRE loving GOVERNMENT IS CLOSED

You lookin for food fun or other stuff fun? Sadly most of the reasons to actually go to DC are gov poo poo that is shut down. It is sadly a pretty dull town. Are you renting a car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

mindphlux posted:

1. no probably not, I'm guessing its burnt oily residue. use steel wool and barkeepers friend, you can try engine degreaser if that doesn't work.

2. again assuming we're talking stainless, use steel wool and barkeepers friend. you'll get the spots up eventually, but they should go away over time as well.

Magic erasers really are magic. I rehabbed an old pot like this.

Anyone else catch "Knife Fight" on the new Esquire network? I'm really enjoying it and Brew Dogs.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Josh Lyman posted:

I burned a lot of rotini in a tri-ply stock pot last night.

1) There's some yellow residue on the outside base of the pot. Will this go away over time?

2) I was able to remove most of the burned reside and there's just a smattering of spots on the inside bottom of the pot. Should I try to get rid of them now or will they also go away over time?

I burned some stewed plums in my enameled Le Creuset. Really hard carbonised mess. This is magic: 2 tbsp baking soda, 2 tbps hydrogen peroxide, drop soap, 1/2 cup water. Gently boil for 15 mins, cool, scrub. Repeat as needed.

I'm curious as to how this works; apparently it helps dissolve the carbon bonds?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bunnielab posted:

You lookin for food fun or other stuff fun? Sadly most of the reasons to actually go to DC are gov poo poo that is shut down. It is sadly a pretty dull town. Are you renting a car?

yeah I know right

I think I got food covered, but most of the places I have in mind are pretty on-the-radar. would love anything memorable that's a bit more hole in the wall

could rent a car I guess. dogfish isn't that far away, might be fun? hopefully everything will work itself out by thursday though... :/

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Drive to Baltimore, get stabbed, have stories for a lifetime.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

GrAviTy84 posted:

Thanks for the Vegas recs everyone, esp bart. Anyone have any good awesome food hole in the wall recs too? Local favs. Etc. Imma go poor if all I ate this week was super food destination places.
From the previous post, Monta is the best ramen in town. Anime Ramen is a block away and suitable if you want something to push you over the edge into self-mutilation.

Also from the previous post, Aces and Ales has very good value for the quality of food - for eating go to the Nellis location as the Tenaya one's kitchen is a clusterfuck. Chada Thai and Wine has a great lunch deal that includes a glass of wine.

In the Cosmopolitan, the Greek seafood restaurant Milos used to have a ~$20 lunch deal that was pretty great. There's also Secret Pizza which is pretty affordable. Comme Ca's happy hour has decently priced small plates, including the "pork fries" which are thinly sliced, fried ears - delicious.

Cugino's Italian Deli next to UNLV has the best NYC style pizza west of the Mississippi. The white clam is especially great. They also make their own mozzarella daily (never refrigerated) and have the best eggplant parmesan sandwiches I've ever had. Also great: Cugino's Special (prosciutto di Parma, fresh mozz, house-roasted red peppers, balsamic on crusty white bread), Donny's special (like the Cugino's but swap out the prosciutto for a fried chicken cutlet), Sicilian-style tripe, Mama's rice pudding (she's Salvadoran, she puts little chunks of citrus zest in it and it's fantastic), arancini the size of my fist, roast beef cooked on-site to rare perfection, house-made Italian sausages (sweet, hot, fennel, spinach/feta, chicken), and pretty much everything else. gently caress I miss working two blocks from this place.

Viva Las Arepas is in Strip-adjacent Stabbytown. Cheap, really great Mexican food. Across the street is Luv-It Frozen Custard, which has been a staple of Vegas sweets for decades. They do lots of interesting/weird flavors that are worth checking out.

Tacos el Gordo is the other utterly fantastic Mexican place in town. The link is to their first location in the northeast; it's the only one I trust. They have a Strip location that might be okay as well but I'd still recommend the drive to Charleston. Get the buche. Sesos aren't on the menu but they have them if you ask.

I'll see if any more spots come to mind. How far off-Strip are you willing to go? There's a great Peruvian place in Henderson but that would be 20+ minutes of driving for you.

e: oh yeah, there's a new gelato place next to Viva Las Arepas that has been making waves with unusual flavor pairings. People are calling them better than Luv-It, which I find hard to believe since it's not custard but hey. Still probably worth checking out.

bartolimu fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 15, 2013

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Bart, what was the Japanese grill place that took your bones away and made crackers from them? Off strip.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Bart, what was the Japanese grill place that took your bones away and made crackers from them? Off strip.

Raku.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

What?? I must have missed that the first time around. Could you elaborate?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Thanks.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Fish bones, deep fry, crunchy crinchy. Same thing goes for shrimp shells etc. It can be pretty good. I'm especially fond of crispy eel spine.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

mindphlux posted:

I'm super excited, flying to DC to go to Minibar this saturday for my burrfday.

I know DC has lots of great restaurants, I've been several times over the last couple years, but any of you have any specific recommendations? I can't remember if any of the regulars actually live in DC...

also I guess looking for off the beaten track fun things to do, since apparently THE ENTIRE loving GOVERNMENT IS CLOSED

Eat at Komi. It's another expensive tasting menu and I know you're doing minibar, but if not this trip then the next one. I had my birthday dinner there (Komi) this past weekend and it was fabulous. I had a nice lunch at Proof today, but the food was just a little uneven. Westend Bistro is solidly great. I found Tosca to be really overrated and stuffy. If you want to go off the beaten path, there's a lot of good Afghan food to be found, but I'm not really qualified to give recommendations. Mintwood Place has been getting some really good reviews, and some people I trust say that it's excellent, but I haven't eaten there yet.

Spy museum, Newseum, Museum of Crime and Punishment are definitely open. I think the building museum is open but I'm not sure. The Corcoran is open, the Phillips Gallery is open and the National Cathedral is open. Most hotels are handing out "what is still open" guides.

If you want to get out of the city, Mount Vernon is open. If you end up getting a car, the GW parkway is a nice drive and if it stops raining there is a nice walking trail along the river.

If you have questions/get stranded and need a ride/whatever, PM me.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wroughtirony posted:

If you have questions/get stranded and need a ride/whatever, PM me.

Thanks! :)

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
This may or may not be the right thread for it, but I'm looking for some advice on getting a good rice cooker, and was wondering if any goons had reccomendations. Every time I cook rice I can't help but get a lot of water underneath the stovetop where I cook, which makes for a pain in cleaning and a mess otherwise. Now I have a gas stove and so am even less thrilled about getting water down there. Is there a decent rice cooker that won't horribly burn my rice or else make the final product into a dreadfully bland mess?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

BottledBodhisvata posted:

This may or may not be the right thread for it, but I'm looking for some advice on getting a good rice cooker, and was wondering if any goons had reccomendations. Every time I cook rice I can't help but get a lot of water underneath the stovetop where I cook, which makes for a pain in cleaning and a mess otherwise. Now I have a gas stove and so am even less thrilled about getting water down there. Is there a decent rice cooker that won't horribly burn my rice or else make the final product into a dreadfully bland mess?

Zojirushi makes crazy good rice cookers. If you can't afford one, basically any rice cooker will do.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

The Midniter posted:

What?? I must have missed that the first time around. Could you elaborate?
We were having a tasting menu. One course was a whole grilled pike eel. The server deftly flayed the meat from the bones while I struggled with another one. after we'd finished the fish, they took the bones (vertebrae and ribs, still articulated) back, deep fried them, and served them as crackers with the next course. Pretty cool little trick.

Sjurygg posted:

Fish bones, deep fry, crunchy crinchy. Same thing goes for shrimp shells etc. It can be pretty good. I'm especially fond of crispy eel spine.
That's another thing to get at Lotus of Siam: garlic prawns. They butterfly the tail but leave the meat attached at the end of the tail, then deep fry the whole prawn with the tail meat hanging out. The meat gets perfectly cooked and the shell gets crispy and delicious. Great dish. It's on the expensive side for entrees though, $23 I think.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I bought an aroma brand rice cooker that dino recommended on amazon and it's done me well and was pretty cheap.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

yeah I know right

I think I got food covered, but most of the places I have in mind are pretty on-the-radar. would love anything memorable that's a bit more hole in the wall

could rent a car I guess. dogfish isn't that far away, might be fun? hopefully everything will work itself out by thursday though... :/

Dogfish is like 2-3h away, depending on traffic. It is a cool drive if you take the back roads and the bar there usually has some of their experimental stuff on tap.

I really don't know much about DC, once I moved back to the burbs I quit going there except for work. If you do get a car then I can recommend a bunch of stuff in Baltimore. Thursday night is crabcake special night at Koco's, which is widely held to be the best ever. The bar is an amazing shithole but it is near a neat up and coming bar/restaurant district. Baltimore also has some great shopping/bar/eating neighborhoods that have a ton of stuff open weekdays. If you decided to check it out PM me and I can put a list together for you.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

I actually got a rice cooker from the Something Awful Secret Santa. I'm Chinese, so naturally, I already had a rice cooker. I'm willing to ship it to you if you cover the shipping costs. PM me or something if you're interested!

EDIT: Shipping might be more than what the thing is actually worth. I know its brand is Aroma, but I don't have access to it at the moment.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 16, 2013

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

:stonk: what

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I feel like this entire thing would be worthwhile if the restaurant's actual toilets were stock pots, hotel pans, and pitchers.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

That's a poop themed restaurant.

Really :stare:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

I think the most shocking thing (after voluntarily naming your dishes after bowel movements) is that this is not from Japan.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

thats the shittiest idea for a restaurant I've ever seen

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

I was totally behind this, but the picture of the bowl of curry is really unsettling.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
For better or worse, it looks like the U.S. has a government again. Enjoy your trip, Mindphlux!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

contrapants posted:

For better or worse, it looks like the U.S. has a government again. Enjoy your trip, Mindphlux!

Currently sitting in endless traffic heading into DC, starting to think the Tea Party has some valid points.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

bunnielab posted:

starting to think the Tea Party has some valid points.

With a beard like that, I'm surprised that you aren't already in charge of your local chapter.

Last night I made some cornbread, and I was out of white flower, so I cut the corn meal with some rye flower. The resulting bread came out a gross greyish color, but it's loving delicious.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

With a beard like that, I'm surprised that you aren't already in charge of your local chapter.

The beard has turned back into an absurd set of muttonchops. Sadly now my chubby neck is visible but I think the trade off is worth it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Squashy Nipples posted:

cornbread flowers

I used to cut my cornmeal with flour but I stopped doing that and found I liked the end product better. My current favorite is to do muffins, and add some chopped pepper (jalapenos, serranos, whatever the garden's giving up) and shredded cheddar.

I'd still use more flour than cornmeal if I wanted to do something like cornbread pancakes.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Man now I want cornmeal pancakes. Alternate a stack of four medium-sized pancakes: cornbread, sweet potato, cornbread, sweet potato. Whip together a little softened butter and sorghum syrup and drizzle on top.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

unffffffff dem garlic prawns on drunken noodles @ lotus. also the crispy rice app.

And also viva las arepas. :getin:

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

mediaphage posted:

Man now I want cornmeal pancakes. Alternate a stack of four medium-sized pancakes: cornbread, sweet potato, cornbread, sweet potato. Whip together a little softened butter and sorghum syrup and drizzle on top.

A+ would eat

Also I totally forgot about aged cheddar and granny smith grilled cheese sandwiches for a while because I'm a big idiot. So delicious, especially with just a little bit of honey.

e: Oh, something kind of funny going on. I'm writing personal statements for graduate programs and realizing slowly that working as a cook is what really gave me the skills to be successful in research, which is kind of hilarious.

Skinny King Pimp fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 18, 2013

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Had the best dinner in years at one of the best restaurants in town. 5 course menu for 2 people, with paired wines.

Amuse bouche of a cracker filled with asparagus cream.
Small dashi soup with red onions, scallions and mussels, don't remember the wine, but it was a quite acidic white wine that went really well with the dashi.
Second starter of a seared scallop with flakes of caramelized lemon zest with a puré of Jerusalem artichoke root, wine was a riesling.
Lobster tail with pickled garlic and carrots, served alongside a deep fried ball of lobster with a lobster bisque. Wine was a sancerre.
Third starter was a soft boiled quail's egg with sea urchin roe and spinach.
Main course was pan seared cusk, caramelized pear and home made potato chips. Wine was a fantastic biodynamic rose that had a nice wild yeast character. Meinklang Prosa I think.
Dessert was apple pie with ice cream, caramelized walnuts and yellow raisins. Wine was a strong, sweet white wine, almost liqueur.

$500 slimmer wallet, but a fantastic place.

BlueGrot fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 18, 2013

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Oh DEAR LORD, did I use the wrong homonym twice in a row? Sigh. It was 7:28 PM EST, so I can't even make the excuse that I was drunk.

mediaphage posted:

I used to cut my cornmeal with flour but I stopped doing that and found I liked the end product better. My current favorite is to do muffins, and add some chopped pepper (jalapenos, serranos, whatever the garden's giving up) and shredded cheddar.

I hear ya, I like 100% cornmeal, too... it's so... scratchy. And satisfying.

One thing we've done a few times was inspired by something we saw on rear end in a top hat's "Triple-D" show. First you bake up a pan of cornbread with lots of scallions, jalepenos and cheddar. Then you stick a slab of the cornbread in a hot pan with some butter, crisp it up a bit. Then you plate it and dump hot chili all over it. So good.

bunnielab posted:

The beard has turned back into an absurd set of muttonchops. Sadly now my chubby neck is visible but I think the trade off is worth it.

Meh, I'm in a glass house at the moment. Haven't had to travel in 5 months for the current consulting gig, so I've been working from home 100%. As such, I've let the goatee grow to ridiculous, goonish proportions. GoWithChrist wants to give me dwarven beard braids ala The Hobbit.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Meh, I'm in a glass house at the moment. Haven't had to travel in 5 months for the current consulting gig, so I've been working from home 100%. As such, I've let the goatee grow to ridiculous, goonish proportions. GoWithChrist wants to give me dwarven beard braids ala The Hobbit.
How in the nine hells do you people with the neckbeards manage to have sexual relations? Cripes. That mess is not attractive.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

dino. posted:

How in the nine hells do you people with the neckbeards manage to have sexual relations? Cripes. That mess is not attractive.

Who said anything about neck? I shave my neck.
My facial hair is just a chinbeard, no neck, no chops, no stache. I can't even keep a 'soul patch' (that little bit under you lower lip), because I sleep with a CPAP mask, and that would interfere with the seal. There is a pic of my goatee in the archives (Battle Effort); just picture an additional 4 inches on that.

Also, let's not pretend that there isn't a wide spectrum of male attractiveness... a public kink event that I sometimes attend is held at a local Bear bar, and there are plenty of neckbeards amongst the regulars there.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Ouch. Sorry to hear, dude. My brother has one of those dealies, and I don't know how he manages to actually sleep with the drat thing on.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

dino. posted:

Ouch. Sorry to hear, dude. My brother has one of those dealies, and I don't know how he manages to actually sleep with the drat thing on.

Oh, I love mine. Took a year and a half of deliberate effort to get used to it, but I never sleep with out it now, not even for naps. I get much better quality of sleep, and it keeps me from snoring.

That last part is not to be underestimated; on rare occasion I'll doze off with out my mask on, and my GF has described the resulting noises as "horrific".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
AV aside, I can grow a very full, nice beard but suck at maintaing it and have never found a decent barber who is both close and is open in the evenings.