Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Douche4Sale posted:

Ringing my doorbell at 8am on a Saturday/ Sunday morning is borderline rude. But you know what, I drug myself out of bed and listened to them try to convert me to their religion, and then politely said that I wasn't interested in joining their religion.

However, the same man kept coming back at the same time, with the same speech, every week. At that point he is not deserving of any more courtesy. At that point, I am going to immediately tell him I am not interested and close the door. As far as I am concerned it is rude of him to continue harassing me, and if he is offended by my "rudeness" then maybe he should reevaluate his own actions.

I did this for a while for both a charity and a research company. If people are coming around at 8am they are doing it wrong (I used to work from 12-8 roughly).

It isn't rude at all to politely decline and cut off the conversation. People can be abusive or violent, or have really aggressive dogs. It's a really poo poo job where you are constantly worried about your safety and feel like you are invading peoples privacy.

To any one reading this, a polite "no thanks" is quick way of ending the situation. If they are trying too talk you round they are again doing their job wrong and wasting time that could be spent with people that actually do want to give money to charity etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

I appreciate the input, but my question was in regards to my own protection, and whether I could get in trouble if I mentioned their names to HR, not how fair the behavior of my supervisors is. I want to voice a concern but I've never had an HR department before, so I don't know what is OK and what isn't to say.

You can try, but it's probably not going to go well for you unless you can report it anonymously. HR can't magically fix the issue without talking to your supervisor (and perhaps her supervisor), and when that starts happening your name may get dropped. If your supervisor has the ability to make your life miserable and you tattletale on her, your working life is going to suck.

Do you have a boss that isn't a jerk you can talk to? If so a better tactic might be to ask for flexible starting and ending hours (if you have the type of job where that'd work). In my office our day is officially 9-6, but we let people roll in up to 30 minutes late and leave up to an hour early as long as they're pulling their weight. It's not really all that uncommon these days.

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

From highest qual to worst qual:

Display Port
Component = HDMI
(fairly big gap)
S-Video
(fairly big gap)
Coax
RCA

Thanks for the tip. Is a Display Port the same as USB? My cable box has a USB port. I could also do S-Video.

Would RCA> DVI look at least watchable, or would it look blurry and pixelated like a low-res Youtube video? I don't care about high-res video as long as it's as watchable as my TV. I should mention that my TV is an old portable DVD player. :downs:

eminkey2003 fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 18, 2013

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

eminkey2003 posted:

Thanks for the tip. Is a Display Port the same as USB? My cable box has a USB port. I could also do S-Video.

Would RCA> DVI look at least watchable, or would it look blurry and pixelated like a low-res Youtube video? I don't care about high-res video as long as it's as watchable as my TV. I should mention that my TV is an old portable DVD player. :downs:

There's no recognized standard for video over usb afaik, so if it carries a video signal at all it is likely proprietary to the cable company / box manufacturer and used for interfacing with dvr equipment or something. In short, display port is different from usb.

RCA -> DVI will likely have the image quality of ~ a 360p youtube video, so watch one of those fullscreen and see if the IQ is acceptable to you. It's a rough comparison as YT vids can vary wildly as well, depending on source and encode, but at a guess the sharpness of a cable signal will be slightly better than the 360p vid, and the colors and saturation will be worse.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

kedo posted:

You can try, but it's probably not going to go well for you unless you can report it anonymously. HR can't magically fix the issue without talking to your supervisor (and perhaps her supervisor), and when that starts happening your name may get dropped. If your supervisor has the ability to make your life miserable and you tattletale on her, your working life is going to suck.

Do you have a boss that isn't a jerk you can talk to? If so a better tactic might be to ask for flexible starting and ending hours (if you have the type of job where that'd work). In my office our day is officially 9-6, but we let people roll in up to 30 minutes late and leave up to an hour early as long as they're pulling their weight. It's not really all that uncommon these days.

Unfortunately no. I've voiced my concerns regarding the policy twice with her, and the reason I got so fired up about it this time is the last time we had a discussion, I was standing in her office when she told me 'If something comes up, bad traffic, computer problems, whatever, just let me know! We're not trying to be unreasonable.' So much for that. And the only reason that our department has to use that phone system as opposed to using the payroll system to clock in like 80% of the company (which allows for +/- 7 minutes before it rounds up or down) is we technically fall under the 'student services' branch of the university. The other departments under that branch have metrics that they have to hit regarding contacting students, but we don't. We're rarely in contact with students, but need to use that phone system so the other departments can transfer problem students to us. I know for a fact that other departments allow employees to work a bit late if they arrive late to even things out, several of my friends in other departments routinely arrive at 8:20-8:30 and stay a bit late to get things done. It's just maddening to me that our department isn't following the rules of the majority of the company.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Edit: Also 'My boss keeps getting mad at me for being just a little late' is really really really likely to backfire on you, even if you follow it up with 'but he's late too.'

This is a very good point, and I think last night I was seeing red for a bit when thinking about the whole situation. My boss has a boss who I work directly under for ~25% of my responsibilities and is mostly reasonable, but the more I'm thinking about it, the more I think the least painful thing to do is just shut up and take it. :(

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

eminkey2003 posted:

I want to watch TV on my monitor. I have a cable box with no HDMI. It's connected to a VCR, which is connected to my TV with RCA wires. Can I use an RCA to DVI cable to watch TV on my monitor? I've read that an HDMI to DVI cable does the job.

This is the wire I want to buy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/180840774819?lpid=82

If it's connected to a vcr with rca this is almost surely composite video and that adapter linked won't work. It's for component video. You probably have a yellow tipped cable for video and red and white ones for audio?

DVI and composite are way different and no simple adapter will exist, it will need some kind of active converter with circuitry inside and a power source.
If there is such a thing you'll still then have to make sure it outputs a resolution your monitor can display.

It's been years since I've had one or seen one used but you can buy video capture pci cards or usb things that will accept composite or svideo input that you can watch your video in a windows app or record to a file too.

edit: Something like this http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-SVID2USB2-S-Video-Composite-Capture/dp/B000O5RIWO
You'll want to do some research before you buy something and make sure it will actually let you watch and not just dump to a file.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 18, 2013

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Vin BioEthanol posted:

If it's connected to a vcr with rca this is almost surely composite video and that adapter linked won't work. It's for component video. You probably have a yellow tipped cable for video and red and white ones for audio?

DVI and composite are way different and no simple adapter will exist, it will need some kind of active converter with circuitry inside and a power source.
If there is such a thing you'll still then have to make sure it outputs a resolution your monitor can display.

It's been years since I've had one or seen one used but you can buy video capture pci cards or usb things that will accept composite or svideo input that you can watch your video in a windows app or record to a file too.

edit: Something like this http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-SVID2USB2-S-Video-Composite-Capture/dp/B000O5RIWO
You'll want to do some research before you buy something and make sure it will actually let you watch and not just dump to a file.

Ah this is correct, I hadn't noticed that adapter was for component and not composite.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

GobiasIndustries posted:

Unfortunately no. I've voiced my concerns regarding the policy twice with her, and the reason I got so fired up about it this time is the last time we had a discussion, I was standing in her office when she told me 'If something comes up, bad traffic, computer problems, whatever, just let me know! We're not trying to be unreasonable.' So much for that. And the only reason that our department has to use that phone system as opposed to using the payroll system to clock in like 80% of the company (which allows for +/- 7 minutes before it rounds up or down) is we technically fall under the 'student services' branch of the university. The other departments under that branch have metrics that they have to hit regarding contacting students, but we don't. We're rarely in contact with students, but need to use that phone system so the other departments can transfer problem students to us. I know for a fact that other departments allow employees to work a bit late if they arrive late to even things out, several of my friends in other departments routinely arrive at 8:20-8:30 and stay a bit late to get things done. It's just maddening to me that our department isn't following the rules of the majority of the company.
Is there any reason you can't just clock in early, then leave once your 8 hours are up?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Turtlicious posted:

I have a very passive interest in learning the guitar, like I'm pretty sure I'm only going to practice an hour or two a day, unless I can learn it through video games.

Where's a good place to talk/read about this on SA?

This is from the last page, but if you are interested in a guitar video game that teaches you how to play real guitar, look into Rocksmith.

http://rocksmith.ubi.com/rocksmith/en-US/home/index.aspx

There's a brand new version coming out next week, it's available for XBOX, PS3 and PC. Game comes with an adapter to plug in an electric guitar and will help you tune the guitar every time you start up (if needed). You can get a used console copy for $20-30 bucks of the original version.

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009
I just realized my monitor is VGA, not DVI. Sorry. But now I can buy a VGA > Red white yellow RCA adapter:

http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_9813_1.jpg

But then how do I get sound? Where do I plug in speakers?

edit: Maybe an aux to RCA converter:

http://www.cablejive.com/product_images/r/RCA1__84067_zoom.jpg

eminkey2003 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 18, 2013

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CzarChasm posted:

This is from the last page, but if you are interested in a guitar video game that teaches you how to play real guitar, look into Rocksmith.

http://rocksmith.ubi.com/rocksmith/en-US/home/index.aspx

There's a brand new version coming out next week, it's available for XBOX, PS3 and PC. Game comes with an adapter to plug in an electric guitar and will help you tune the guitar every time you start up (if needed). You can get a used console copy for $20-30 bucks of the original version.

I'd seen stuff about the new one. Are these games decent for learning? Obviously you don't get the benefits of having someone watch your technique, but other than that are they useful?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

eminkey2003 posted:

I just realized my monitor is VGA, not DVI. Sorry. But now I can buy a VGA > Red white yellow RCA adapter:

http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_9813_1.jpg

But then how do I get sound? Where do I plug in speakers?

That looks more like an adapter from certain old video cards that could put out TV-type signals over VGA pins. If you plug that into your cable box and monitor you probably won't get anything.

You need to spend around $47 for something like this to properly convert composite video to VGA. This particular device both has a built in speaker and has a standard headphone jack to attach other speakers to: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815260041

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

hooah posted:

I'd seen stuff about the new one. Are these games decent for learning? Obviously you don't get the benefits of having someone watch your technique, but other than that are they useful?

I'd say yes. I mean for example it will give you some very basic how to's before you start (Here's how to hold your guitar, here's where your fingers go, here's how to strum properly).

Then it gives you a song to try but the progressive learning curve is really kind of amazing from a technical stand point. I will take a song and start you off with "OK, strum this string held here...Now. OK good, do that six more times. Great, now that you can do that, shift your finger down and strum this string and then move back. Oh, you missed it. That's OK, let's keep trying until you get it." As you do better it will throw more notes at you and more changes. Then as you keep playing it will give you the option to play using chords instead of just single notes.

It never makes you feel dumb, but you can see yourself where you have issues and where you need to practice more. If you start missing notes it will take some away from the upcoming section. Start hitting more notes and it will make more appear for you to hit.

It will not correct you on technique, and to hear the guys in the rocksmith thread talk about it, it tends to teach you bad habits (I guess?). I think the finger placement it teaches is not optimal.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CzarChasm posted:

I'd say yes. I mean for example it will give you some very basic how to's before you start (Here's how to hold your guitar, here's where your fingers go, here's how to strum properly).

Then it gives you a song to try but the progressive learning curve is really kind of amazing from a technical stand point. I will take a song and start you off with "OK, strum this string held here...Now. OK good, do that six more times. Great, now that you can do that, shift your finger down and strum this string and then move back. Oh, you missed it. That's OK, let's keep trying until you get it." As you do better it will throw more notes at you and more changes. Then as you keep playing it will give you the option to play using chords instead of just single notes.

It never makes you feel dumb, but you can see yourself where you have issues and where you need to practice more. If you start missing notes it will take some away from the upcoming section. Start hitting more notes and it will make more appear for you to hit.

It will not correct you on technique, and to hear the guys in the rocksmith thread talk about it, it tends to teach you bad habits (I guess?). I think the finger placement it teaches is not optimal.

Is it kind of like lifting, where you can record your technique and people will critique it? Or is it something you need someone right there smacking your wrist.

I AM JAMES FRANCO
Jul 23, 2008
I have Creditcard points to get free stuff, and being in Wisconsin I need a good jacket.

This is the one I am looking at: l Which costs a respectable amount of points. Is it worth springing for it?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

I AM JAMES FRANCO posted:

I have Creditcard points to get free stuff, and being in Wisconsin I need a good jacket.

This is the one I am looking at: l Which costs a respectable amount of points. Is it worth springing for it?

The North Face makes high-quality outdoor clothing. You might be able to find a better deal if you shop around or wait for a sale or something, but that seems kind of besides the point. I can't tell if you've got a better use for your points.

I AM JAMES FRANCO
Jul 23, 2008

Gravity Pike posted:

The North Face makes high-quality outdoor clothing. You might be able to find a better deal if you shop around or wait for a sale or something, but that seems kind of besides the point. I can't tell if you've got a better use for your points.

Well it's this or a trampoline...

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

Is it kind of like lifting, where you can record your technique and people will critique it? Or is it something you need someone right there smacking your wrist.

I suggest getting a teacher. Totally worth it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

If you are serious about it, as in you want to play guitar in a real band and play/write/read original songs - get a real flesh and blood teacher, pay the money.

If you want to learn how to play 50 specific songs with a decent grasp of fundamentals, the game is probably going to be great for that. Not to say you can't eventually learn new songs that are not included in the game.

Full disclosure, I am not a guitar player and I haven't picked up the game or a guitar in months, but when people were saying it teaches you poor technique, it's not like the game teaches people to reach their hand over then neck of the guitar to hold a string down or anything. I think it's just more that they way they start you off would have you holding it in such a way that you would be moving your hand up and down the neck and using your index finger, when it would be more beneficial for you to learn to stretch your ring/pinky fingers. Moving your hand up and down the neck will get you playing the right note, but will make you slower doing so, and also harder to find your way back where you need to be for the next shift.

As to your question about submitting your technique for review, that's not built into the game. The game is more about, can you hit the right note at the right time consistently. It's a less arcade-y, smarter, Guitar Hero that will teach you to play a real guitar.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

A long time ago I learned about this theory of acting that divided the body into different sections with meanings like thinking or emotion, and depending on the body pose they would display something accordingly. So for example, the fingers were a thinking part and extending them meant outwards thinking. Or something like that.

Does anybody know what the hell I am talking about? I can't remember what it is called.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Chernabog posted:

A long time ago I learned about this theory of acting that divided the body into different sections with meanings like thinking or emotion, and depending on the body pose they would display something accordingly. So for example, the fingers were a thinking part and extending them meant outwards thinking. Or something like that.

Does anybody know what the hell I am talking about? I can't remember what it is called.

this?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Uh, no. Not that.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Chernabog posted:

Brecht's "gestus" is the only thing that comes to mind, not sure if that's what you're looking for

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

In Denver there's a radio station with nothing but stand up comedy. Occasionally they'll play old tracks from the 50s-80s. One thing I've noticed is that anything from, say, 1965 or earlier is pretty different than modern stand up which tends to be "funny observations and 'true', real-life stuff that happened to me" to broadly generalize. The older recordings are of a more jokey nature -- again, broadly generalizing, something like "A rabbi, a priest, and Buddha walk into a bar." These sound horribly dated and are almost always unfunny, but that might just be my modern sensibility.

Anyway, when did this culture change in stand up come about, and who led the way? At a guess I'd speculate Lenny Bruce and Bill Cosby, but I'd love to hear from someone who is more knowledgeable than myself.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Brecht's "gestus" is the only thing that comes to mind, not sure if that's what you're looking for

I don't think so but it is close to what I was looking for.

As for your question, if you have no luck here try on this thread instead:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3517952&pagenumber=1

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Chernabog posted:

Separately from what other people have said, various world traditions of theater and acting have their own traditional poses to express certain meanings.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Here's a dog question I have had basically my entire life:

Dogs are territorial, I get it. They bark at people who are near the edge of their territory, like if you go near a the fence to a yard that is theirs. However, how come they seem incapable of judging whether you intend to breach their territory or not, and bark at you either way? I can tell they know a hell of a lot about human behavior, and animals way stupider than them DO show signs that they know whether you are a threat by something more than just distance, pigeons for example just stand there if you walk by, but they know the instant you turn towards them like you're gonna try to catch them, and fly away.

So what's the deal, dogs? Why does the dog in the apartment below mine have to bark at me every single time I walk by its door on my way to my door, when I've been doing it for three years and never once made any move to try and breach its territory?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

In Denver there's a radio station with nothing but stand up comedy. Occasionally they'll play old tracks from the 50s-80s. One thing I've noticed is that anything from, say, 1965 or earlier is pretty different than modern stand up which tends to be "funny observations and 'true', real-life stuff that happened to me" to broadly generalize. The older recordings are of a more jokey nature -- again, broadly generalizing, something like "A rabbi, a priest, and Buddha walk into a bar." These sound horribly dated and are almost always unfunny, but that might just be my modern sensibility.

Anyway, when did this culture change in stand up come about, and who led the way? At a guess I'd speculate Lenny Bruce and Bill Cosby, but I'd love to hear from someone who is more knowledgeable than myself.

I'm not an expert, but this site has a cool, brief history of standup.
http://www.youwillnotbelieve.us/history-of-stand-up/

Mort Sahl and Lenny Bruce really ushered in the sea change of stand-up and Richard Pryor and George Carlin brought it to the mainstream.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
There's also a fairly active stand-up comedy thread, I'd be interested in seeing this discussed over there by folks who know way more about the history than me: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3451683

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
The same type of changes were happening in movies and other forms of culture at the time, so it's as much a reflection of that as it is the influence of 1 or 2 comics.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Samurai Sanders posted:

Here's a dog question I have had basically my entire life:

Dogs are territorial, I get it. They bark at people who are near the edge of their territory, like if you go near a the fence to a yard that is theirs. However, how come they seem incapable of judging whether you intend to breach their territory or not, and bark at you either way? I can tell they know a hell of a lot about human behavior, and animals way stupider than them DO show signs that they know whether you are a threat by something more than just distance, pigeons for example just stand there if you walk by, but they know the instant you turn towards them like you're gonna try to catch them, and fly away.

So what's the deal, dogs? Why does the dog in the apartment below mine have to bark at me every single time I walk by its door on my way to my door, when I've been doing it for three years and never once made any move to try and breach its territory?

It's probably just instinct, like the pigeon thing, coupled with the dog being poorly trained. There are plenty of well-behaved dogs that never bark at people as they walk by. Then there are the neurotic or high-strung dogs who are always on guard.

And, you know, as an aside, if you raise a pigeon around people it won't have that flight response because it won't see humans as a threat. So the dog probably just sees strangers as a threat.

VoodooChild1968
Apr 25, 2008
I have three questions that bother me from time to time and Google never has the answer:

1. What is Jimi Hendrix saying at the end of "Foxey Lady?" Not the "here I come baby" part, but the outro. It sounds something like "You make me feel like, uh . . ." something something. Anyone have any idea? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxm-K8dic-g 2:50-ish mark

2. Why is Wolverine's hair shaped the way it is?

3. Why were nunchucks banned in British Ninja Turtles but the other weapons were okay?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

razz posted:

It's probably just instinct, like the pigeon thing, coupled with the dog being poorly trained. There are plenty of well-behaved dogs that never bark at people as they walk by. Then there are the neurotic or high-strung dogs who are always on guard.

And, you know, as an aside, if you raise a pigeon around people it won't have that flight response because it won't see humans as a threat. So the dog probably just sees strangers as a threat.
What I'm asking is, why do they have that barking instinct? It's a waste of energy unless its against someone actually intending to come into their territory, right?

edit:

VoodooChild1968 posted:

I have three questions that bother me from time to time and Google never has the answer:

1. What is Jimi Hendrix saying at the end of "Foxey Lady?" Not the "here I come baby" part, but the outro. It sounds something like "You make me feel like, uh . . ." something something. Anyone have any idea? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxm-K8dic-g 2:50-ish mark

2. Why is Wolverine's hair shaped the way it is?

3. Why were nunchucks banned in British Ninja Turtles but the other weapons were okay?
1. "philistine"? Dunno.
2. It looks like animal ears, I guess.
3. I think some famous murder was done with nunchucks and in typical government kneejerk fashion, they banned them.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 19, 2013

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

VoodooChild1968 posted:

Sounds like "a little insane" to me.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

What I'm asking is, why do they have that barking instinct? It's a waste of energy unless its against someone actually intending to come into their territory, right?

Are you simple? How is a dog supposed to understand the intentions of a person near their territory? They can't reason and they don't understand context clues.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Loopyface posted:

Are you simple? How is a dog supposed to understand the intentions of a person near their territory? They can't reason and they don't understand context clues.
Did you read my post before? Lots of animals can, including pigeons, and they have a brain the size of a peanut. Dogs can totally detect human intentions, at least as far as hostile/non-hostile. In this situation though, they don't seem to be at all. They bark bloody murder at humans whether they are making any threatening movement or not.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 19, 2013

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Samurai Sanders posted:

"Why" questions when it comes to animal behavior is almost always the realm of untethered speculation, but my guess is they bark for the same reason that car alarms go off when a big truck drives by: a false positive is much cheaper than a false negative. Overreacting + being wrong isn't that bad; not reacting + being wrong--that is catastrophic.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Samurai Sanders posted:

Did you read my post before? Lots of animals can, including pigeons, and they have a brain the size of a peanut. Dogs can totally detect human intentions, at least as far as hostile/non-hostile. In this situation though, they don't seem to be at all. They bark bloody murder at humans whether they are making any threatening movement or not.

It's probably just a badly-trained dog. They don't really know how to behave, they just think or most human movement towards them is threatening. You know, dogs can only read human intention because they're domesticated and we basically taught them how to live with us. Some just don't do it as well.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

razz posted:

It's probably just a badly-trained dog. They don't really know how to behave, they just think or most human movement towards them is threatening.
But I'm not moving towards them. Moving towards them IS threatening. I'm moving perpendicular to them. I'm not even looking at them, and I KNOW dogs know whether you're looking at them or not. And I didn't think dogs needed training to look for threats and bark at them, I thought they did that from birth pretty much.

dokmo posted:

"Why" questions when it comes to animal behavior is almost always the realm of untethered speculation, but my guess is they bark for the same reason that car alarms go off when a big truck drives by: a false positive is much cheaper than a false negative. Overreacting + being wrong isn't that bad; not reacting + being wrong--that is catastrophic.
You're probably right, but that means that the two dogs I walk past every time I go to the corner store have both been getting false negatives almost every day for three years straight. I thought dogs were supposed to be able to learn...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

You're probably right, but that means that the two dogs I walk past every time I go to the corner store have both been getting false negatives almost every day for three years straight. I thought dogs were supposed to be able to learn...

Without training they wouldn't really have any feedback on their technique. They bark, you move along, everything is right in the world. Repeat as necessary.