Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

The correct answer is more Manilla Road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

abske_fides posted:

Just got into another Manilla Road mood... that band is frickin' awesome. They're just plain fun. By all means I shouldn't really like them, and their use of harmony is quite boring but for some reason they're awesome. Are there any bands that are kinda like the Road? I don't like Cirith Ungol since they always get recommend to fans of the Road.

One the more heavy metal side, Omen and Brocas Helm should have a similar appeal. While on the surface it's rougher and the vocals are gruff, Demontage have a similar approach and they're heavily influenced by Manilla Road, they're really creative and it makes them one of the best/most unique bands in metal.

Legend's "From the Fjords" is also essential, the use of harmony is way more consonant, but it's epic heavy metal/prog hard rock like early Manilla Road.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

abske_fides posted:

Just got into another Manilla Road mood... that band is frickin' awesome. They're just plain fun. By all means I shouldn't really like them, and their use of harmony is quite boring but for some reason they're awesome. Are there any bands that are kinda like the Road? I don't like Cirith Ungol since they always get recommend to fans of the Road.
Slough Feg is great and very obviously influenced by Manilla Road--they even cover Street Jammer. The aforementioned Brocas Helm are also similar.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Owns indeed.

Obviously that's off YouTube but man, that sound is compressed. I want more of that sexy Rickenbacker bass :/

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Wish Manilla Road had other material that stacked up to Crystal Logic. To my ears nothing else they've released is anywhere near as good.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Listen to Agent Steel thanks

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

abske_fides posted:

another Manilla Road mood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYy6kwvXTio
Dark Quarterer for some strange italian prog-power

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

What is the most metal language?

My vote goes to Hungarian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGYQQjGPo20

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Bertrand Hustle posted:

What is the most metal language?

My vote goes to Hungarian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGYQQjGPo20

I would say it`s probably dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8We9z4Jv-8c

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Will be seeing Midnight next fridaynight, can't wait! :D

Anyone know what to expect, I really dig Satanic Royalty.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
The new Motorhead is surprisingly good. In terms of new material I'd say it rivals Inferno. I haven't wanted to skip a song which is something I can't even say for that one. The songs feel like they're intentional songs, not bits and pieces strung together like the last couple have. If they were to, Lemmy forbid, come out and say this was their last album they would drat sure pick a solid one to go out with.

edit: I won't lie, they've borrowed from themselves here and there. I've heard a riff from We Are Motorhead thrown in once and there's another one I recognized but I couldn't place. I don't care though. They did it tastefully and they're definitely parts that rule, so if you hold it against bands to steal from themselves after 30 years then gently caress you

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 15, 2013

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Saw Ghost and Skeletonwitch last night. The venue sucked for a metal show, but it worked out just fine for an old metal guy just wanting to sit in a theater and drink beer. :coal:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Morbid Florist posted:

The new Motorhead is surprisingly good. In terms of new material I'd say it rivals Inferno. I haven't wanted to skip a song which is something I can't even say for that one. The songs feel like they're intentional songs, not bits and pieces strung together like the last couple have. If they were to, Lemmy forbid, come out and say this was their last album they would drat sure pick a solid one to go out with.

edit: I won't lie, they've borrowed from themselves here and there. I've heard a riff from We Are Motorhead thrown in once and there's another one I recognized but I couldn't place. I don't care though. They did it tastefully and they're definitely parts that rule, so if you hold it against bands to steal from themselves after 30 years then gently caress you
Listening to it on Youtube right now, and I find myself in agreement. This is drat solid stuff.

I know what I'm gonna listen to next time I play World of Tanks. :getin:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah the new Motorhead owns. Heartbreaker and Silence When You Speak to Me are killer tracks.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

That's funny, Heartbreaker is the one track I'm kinda not a fan of. Literally everything else is still loving awesome. Even the slow songs are good.

For the first time in a long time I hope they play a lot of new poo poo when they tour to support the album.

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
Shamefully, I've never gotten super into Motorhead aside from a few individual songs. Among those songs is "Get Back in Line". The good buzz about Aftershock has me going to check it out, though, it sounds badass.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Apparently there's gonna be a new Mithras album this December, which would be great since Worlds Beyond the Veil kicks tons of rear end.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Gamma Nerd posted:

Apparently there's gonna be a new Mithras album this December, which would be great since Worlds Beyond the Veil kicks tons of rear end.

It's about loving time

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Speaking of things that kick tons of rear end, I want to know if there is a better power metal album than Lost Horizon's second album (their first album is also great). Only thing that comes close to it in the genre that I've heard was Temple of Shadows by Angra.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Gamma Nerd posted:

Speaking of things that kick tons of rear end, I want to know if there is a better power metal album than Lost Horizon's second album (their first album is also great).
Not a whole lot of them at least, no. Although there are some that are a different enough style of power metal that I don't want to compare them that directly.

I assume you were speaking rhetorically and not actually asking for recommendations, but here's a random dump of my personal favourite power metal albums off the top of my head anyways, because I have nothing better to do and your post made me want to go on a power metal kick. Many of them are probably obvious and boring choices, but whatever. Reminiscing is fun.

Hibria - Defying the Rules (do not check their further discography beyond the second album. It will only lead to sadness.)
Gamma Ray - Somewhere Out in Space and Powerplant
Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth (a strong contender for my personal choice of "best PM album ever")
Wuthering Heights - Salt
Helloween - The Time of the Oath (muddy production and all)
Kamelot - Karma and The Fourth Legacy
Tarot - Suffer Our Pleasures (wouldn't generally call Tarot a power metal band, but this album is both pretty powery and loving kickass as all hell)
Kiuas - The Spirit of Ukko (someone once said something like "This is the kind of stuff that really deserves to be called power metal" and I kinda agree.)

Power metal was my gateway into metal as a teenager, and while my horizons have drastically expanded since, I've never been able to fully subdue my inner power metal nerd. And I don't really want to, really. This poo poo can just be so much goddamn fun.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Gamma Nerd posted:

Speaking of things that kick tons of rear end, I want to know if there is a better power metal album than Lost Horizon's second album (their first album is also great). Only thing that comes close to it in the genre that I've heard was Temple of Shadows by Angra.

Beyond the Space, Beyond the Time by Pathfinder. Arkadiusz Ruth has the best voice ever.

e: If anyone cares, Crazy Uncle Varg has been charged with inciting racial hatred and glorifying war crimes.

edrith fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Oct 18, 2013

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Does this count as metal? I think it does.

http://www.thecirclepit.com/2013/10/mastodon-soulfly-dillinger-escape-plan.html?m=1

quote:

MASTODON / SOULFLY / THE DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN / EX- MARS VOLTA SUPERGROUP!
Yeah, you can go ahead and read that headline again.

This currently unnamed supergroup has been formed with the likes of Mastodon's Troy Sanders, Soulfly's Max Cavalera, The Dillinger Escape Plan's Greg Puciato, and the ex-Mars Volta drummer Dave Elitch.... Ohhhhh yeeeeah.

What's more? They've just signed with Nuclear Blast Records!

Not good enough? Here's some more big news. The album is almost done. Most of the recording is complete. Only the bulk of vocal tracking remains. On top of this, they worked with producer Josh Wilbur (aka the man responsible for works by Lamb of God and Gojira). There's no doubt this is a monster in the making.

If you're interested in learning more, head over to Metalkaoz.com and listen to the interview conducted with Max Cavalera. In the mean time, jam some tracks from the supergroup's respective projects below.

I mean, Lamb of God production with Nuclear Blast coating and Max Cavalera doing Max Cavalera... I dunno I mean I want to be excited but...

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Kaiho posted:

http://www.thecirclepit.com/2013/10/mastodon-soulfly-dillinger-escape-plan.html?m=1

I mean, Lamb of God production with Nuclear Blast coating and Max Cavalera doing Max Cavalera... I dunno I mean I want to be excited but...
Oh boy, the producer of Puddle of Mudd's "Life on Display"

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Kaiho posted:

I kinda wish the Soulfly member contributing were Marc Rizzo instead of Max "I haven't showered in 4 years and my music is dross" Cavalera.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gamma Nerd posted:

I don't really like power metal anymore, but my top three are probably:

Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle-Earth
Galneryus - Resurrection
Wintersun - Wintersun

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Weaponized Cum posted:

I kinda wish the Soulfly member contributing were Marc Rizzo instead of Max "I haven't showered in 4 years and my music is dross" Cavalera.

Maybe they decided they had on-stage spin kicks covered enough already

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Not to defend Varg but that just sounds like the French are looking for any excuse to get Varg out of their country. Not that I really blame them.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Gamma Nerd posted:

Nordick already mentioned it but Salt bu Wuthering Heights is about as near-flawless a power metal album as you'll ever find it's loving great from start to finish.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Gamma Nerd posted:

Crimson Glory's "Transcendence"
Helstar's "Nosferatu"
Shok Paris' "Steel and Starlight"
Omen's "Battle Cry"
Liege Lord's "Master Control"
Fates Warning's "The Spectre Within" and "Awaken the Guardian"
There are more, too.

edrith posted:

Beyond the Space, Beyond the Time by Pathfinder. Arkadiusz Ruth has the best voice ever.

This is literally the worst flower metal album ever, I'd call them pansies but the flowers are more consistent and pleasant.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Anti-Hero posted:

Not to defend Varg but that just sounds like the French are looking for any excuse to get Varg out of their country. Not that I really blame them.

Probably, but as you said, who could blame them? He's being scrutinized a lot more heavily than your other average neo-nazi with a blog would be though, although they might not be aware that the overwhelming majority of people who even know who he is consider him a joke beyond his early 90s output. Which is to say I really don't there there's many people he could incite to do anything.

Nordick posted:

Power metal was my gateway into metal as a teenager, and while my horizons have drastically expanded since, I've never been able to fully subdue my inner power metal nerd. And I don't really want to, really. This poo poo can just be so much goddamn fun.

No reason to regret power metal, I've been on a huge Blind Guardian kick the last 2 weeks for no reason I can figure. Born in a Mourning Hall is a loving sick track.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

IRQ posted:

He's being scrutinized a lot more heavily than your other average neo-nazi with a blog would be though

To be fair your other average neo-nazi with a blog probably hasn't got a murder rap.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Zodijackylite posted:

This is literally the worst flower metal album ever, I'd call them pansies but the flowers are more consistent and pleasant.

I love it :colbert: Fifth Element is pretty good too. Sometimes you have to turn off your good taste and listen to an overdramatic Polish man wail at you about alchemy.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

fatherdog posted:

To be fair your other average neo-nazi with a blog probably hasn't got a murder rap.

He served his time, leave Varg alone!

But joking aside, he seems to just want to do cosplay in the woods and make lovely synth albums these days.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

New Solstice after a kabillion years!

http://solstice-englander.bandcamp.com/album/deaths-crown-is-victory

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Gamma Nerd posted:

Did you listen to their Time Never Last EP? The title track was loving amazing, so I'm really hyped for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPj7ZHXb8Ss

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
Totally didn't know Ihsahn had one coming out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92g3KGbZXU0.

Looks like it (Das Seelenbrechen) already leaked.

Edit: And new Skeletonwitch. Time to get reviewin'!

thehouseplant fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 19, 2013

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Houseplant posted:

Totally didn't know Ihsahn had one coming out

Looks like it (Das Seelenbrechen) already leaked.

Edit: And new Skeletonwitch. Time to get reviewin'!

New Blut Aus Nord EP too...quite a week!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Optimum Gulps posted:

New Blut Aus Nord EP too...quite a week!

That's one band I always forget about until they put out something, and then I'm like HELL YEAH BLUT AUS NORD!

Millertime
Jul 5, 2007
On the subject of power metal, one band I rarely see mentioned is Heavenly. In particular, the album Dust to Dust is loving fantastic. Awesome concept album that can be listened to front to back without any skippable songs whatsoever.

Here's my favorite track from the album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY8lg-q1PrU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

IRQ posted:

No reason to regret power metal, I've been on a huge Blind Guardian kick the last 2 weeks for no reason I can figure. Born in a Mourning Hall is a loving sick track.
Oh I don't regret it, it's just that as a teenager I used to listen to it to the exclusion of just about everything else. Now I'm much, much more of a generalist, I just occasionally go all "AWW YEAH POWER METAL MAN". And I'm fine with that.
And now I'm gonna put on some Gamma Ray.

EDIT: ^^^ I used to own Coming From the Sky, but traded it away (among many other albums) when my power metal phase started waning. Never listened to Heavenly since, and I can't say that track makes me want to change that, I'm afraid.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 19, 2013