Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Lunethex posted:

4 days? :psyduck:

I'd assume this was the third time you were thrown into the box.

Second. I wasn't really even trying, just screwing around. I shot a cop car with the buzzard, which then exploded and blew up the player's car that was going through that roadblock and bam, 4 days. I'd shot up a few cars earlier in the week, but I thought the bad sport thing had a 'cool down' or whatever.. apparently not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

RCarr posted:

Can you light a gas trail by dropping a cigarette butt? That would be truly bad-rear end.

I just tried. No dice :smith:

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.

Good indeed, makes it much cheaper to send people in tanks to bad sport hell :devil:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
So I just finished a random mission where I had to grab a car full of drugs and take it back to the safehouse, there was 3 groups, 2 guys in each and I was the only person there who had was using the Micro SMG, everyone else was using just the pistol or not even bothering to shoot but mindlessly rushing towards the car, of course it was a total whitewash as I just blew everyone away again and again, eventually I got the car and me and my hapless partner rode away with no-one coming after us.

Of course the endgame lobby was full of people insulting me and calling my character a dumb slut, since she looks almost exactly like a stereotypical middle aged housewife, wearing a red beret and huge sunglasses.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

KoRMaK posted:

Just found this when looking for "GTA mugger"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpin5NDF_EA

The premise: you can watch anyone in freemode via TV.

How do I get to level 50 quickly? This is goddamn amazing.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
:siren: Rockstar is adding jobs from contacts to the voting screen :siren:

http://support.rockstargames.com/hc/communities/public/questions/200321016-Upcoming-Change-to-Job-Vote-Screen

quote:

This is an official Rockstar announcement concerning a change to the next job vote screen. Due to high demand from the community, we are adding jobs from contacts to the voting screen. This change will be coming soon, but there is not an exact ETA at this time.
Essentially, this means that jobs from Gerald, Simeon, etc will all be available on the voting screen along with races, parachute jumps, and other missions. This feature is being added directly based on feedback from you, our community, so please keep posting your ideas and thoughts on the game.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Then they'll remove the refresh option.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ZombieReagan posted:

You know, I could understand the whole bad sport for blowing up cars thing if there was no insurance. It seems like all that should happen is that you pay their insurance deductible and hospital bill from your bank account. If you can't afford it THEN you get slapped with "bad sport" or something like that.
Tweet them this. Or email I guess.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

gently caress YEA

Lunethex posted:

Then they'll remove the refresh option.

4 deathmatches, a parachute race, and a Simeon mission

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Dirk Pitt posted:

How do I get to level 50 quickly? This is goddamn amazing.

Nineteen more levels :saddowns:

GangsterIsland
Jul 7, 2011

It's

GIBBS

Ho

Repeatedly suicide bombing the 4 star police that are chasing your buddies around on the golf course is a dirty job, but somebody has to do it.

And Jesus, you guys are extremely money focused. I spent like 6 hours yesterday having an amazing time with OwlB(something), fist-thrust, and airjulio and I had $0 on hand and $0 in the bank. Both airjulio and I were unable to pay our rent or buy ammo eventually. 0 fucks were given about money.

I did some missions until I could buy all the weapons available to my level, 3000 bullets for each gun, and bullet proof tires for my Sandking. You really don't need to have an on demand Buzzard or a tricked out Adder to have fun. Chill out until we discover that heists pay $20,000 and can only be done once an hour or something. Play the game, people, play the game.

Also, it seems like most the people whining about money being nerfed are the same people who restart farmed Violent Ducts, then Base Invaders, then Mixed Up with Coke to get an amazing apartment and a full garage of modded cars. I missed out on all that restart farming due to work and server outages, and had to grind out survival missions over the course of a week just to buy an apartment. Despite having to gain money slower than most the people who post in this thread, I am not upset in the slightest about the money nerf. Money will come with time. You don't need everything in the game RIGHT NOW. Almost all of us have the nicest apartments way sooner than intended and/or are way higher level than we should be.

GangsterIsland fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 18, 2013

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

UnknownMercenary posted:

Deathmatch would be better if it actually gave substantial RP/money rewards. Right now you get gently caress all, and it's a money sink because it taps into the ammo you have for guns in free roam and missions. The combat itself is serviceable enough, but it's weird how they got rid of shoulder switching entirely and side to side rolls are harder to do than in RDR.

Getting a small fraction of the rewards would be better than literally nothing, since again losing is just a money sink for the ammo/armor you might have paid for to do the mission in the first place.
Top Fun, for instance, you get nothing for losing, but you most likely died somehow to lose, so you lost your armor at the least..

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

GangsterIsland posted:

Repeatedly suicide bombing the 4 star police that are chasing your buddies around on the golf course is a dirty job, but somebody has to do it.

And Jesus, you guys are extremely money focused. I spent like 6 hours yesterday having an amazing time with OwlB(something), fist-thrust, and airjulio and I had $0 on hand and $0 in the bank. Both airjulio and I were unable to pay our rent or buy ammo eventually. 0 fucks were given about money.

I did some missions until I could buy all the weapons available to my level, 3000 bullets for each gun, and bullet proof tires for my Sandking. You really don't need to have an on demand Buzzard or a tricked out Adder to have fun. Chill out until we discover that heists pay $20,000 and can only be done once an hour or something. Play the game, people, play the game.

Even if you don't die much, a couple hours of free mode fuckery will cost you in bullets, armor, insurance, etc. It's still lovely how much guns and ammo cost.

GangsterIsland
Jul 7, 2011

It's

GIBBS

Ho

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Even if you don't die much, a couple hours of free mode fuckery will cost you in bullets, armor, insurance, etc. It's still lovely how much guns and ammo cost.

I literally spent my entire night last night partaking in free mode fuckery, and I recouped all my costs after completing Base Invaders once after the money nerf and selling a Baller to LSC..... so yeah.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Does a straight MG, not a combat MG drop on any of the survival missions? I'm looking to save 13k versus buying it at ammunation.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 18, 2013

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I will be on tonight right around 6pm EST for two hours. I am looking to trade wins and grind as many Criminal Records races for RP as possible before it gets patched out. GT: The Midniter

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I'm glad that R¤¢₭$₮¤r€ lowered the medical costs and I can't really muster any anger at the decision to halve mission payout on replays. I think a lot of people probably got too comfortable with the idea of grinding hundreds of thousands and what this would afford them.

Earwicker posted:

I honestly don't see the problem with this.

When enough people unlocked miniguns, grenade launchers and RPGs, free roam would just be insufferable. Any enjoyment would be dependent on rolling with friends or crew at all times. I'm not opposed to implementing separate lobbies for that stuff, though.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

coyo7e posted:

Top Fun, for instance, you get nothing for losing, but you most likely died somehow to lose, so you lost your armor at the least..

Top Fun should give rewards based on distance traveled for the drivers. It's pretty easy to take out all 4 drivers with 2 competent pilots. I'd like to see custom missions that expand on Top Fun. Maybe there could be respawns and the drivers have to transport goods from several locations.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Man I wish they'd remove blowing up players cars as a bad sport thing. Charge for it, fine, but maaaan...

I had a $9k bounty, I was hauling rear end down the highway away from a guy I killed twice trying to collect it, and I tossed a sticky bomb in front of me and timed it juuuuuuuuuust right and blew the fucker up. He screamed bloody murder. Goddamn that was fun.

Also, Top Fun III is incredible if everyone is a capable pilot.

GangsterIsland
Jul 7, 2011

It's

GIBBS

Ho
Things you don't need $400,000 for:

Using a Sandking as a wrecking ball attached to a cargobob to kill pubbies.

Blowing up a car and waiting for the firetruck to come, taking said firetruck, and water hosing every player you see with 2 people hanging off the back like idiots falling off at least once every 5 minutes.

Stealing a SWAT van and managing to grief pubbies despite having 5 stars worth of police chasing you.

Having a demolition derby at the docks.

Discovering a Patriot literally humping a pubbie's adder behind a building.

All of this was achieved last night with $0 to my name. I wish my indifference to these money nerfs could rub off on you guys, cause a lot of you seem to be really worked up.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

GangsterIsland posted:

Things you don't need $400,000 for:

Using a Sandking as a wrecking ball attached to a cargobob to kill pubbies.

Blowing up a car and waiting for the firetruck to come, taking said firetruck, and water hosing every player you see with 2 people hanging off the back like idiots falling off at least once every 5 minutes.

Stealing a SWAT van and managing to grief pubbies despite having 5 stars worth of police chasing you.

Having a demolition derby at the docks.

Discovering a Patriot literally humping a pubbie's adder behind a building.

All of this was achieved last night with $0 to my name. I wish my indifference to these money nerfs could rub off on you guys, cause a lot of you seem to be really worked up.

Though I think people are overreacting, I think a lot of the issue isn't so much that there aren't other things to do, it's that a lot of things are pointlessly restricted. Rockstar designs this leveling up system that to get the coolest (not necessarily most fun) things, you have to grind early on. But then you end up also getting punished for using those things if it damages another car. Meanwhile, if you want to both have fun in freemode AND be able to eventually afford nice things, like the apartments are cool cars, you have to just never get into gunfights (although this is less true now with death penalty equaling 500). So yes, there's plenty to do. But if you try to save up money, you can't do a lot of those things in freemode.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

GenoCanSing posted:

Man I wish they'd remove blowing up players cars as a bad sport thing. Charge for it, fine, but maaaan...

I had a $9k bounty, I was hauling rear end down the highway away from a guy I killed twice trying to collect it, and I tossed a sticky bomb in front of me and timed it juuuuuuuuuust right and blew the fucker up. He screamed bloody murder. Goddamn that was fun.

I had the same thing earlier. Got a 9K bounty on me for killing some other bountied guy, cue someone charging straight for me across Sandy Shores and peppering my car with bullets. So I do the logical thing and slap a bomb on the road, detonating it and blowing him up.

"You are being a bad sport"

gently caress right off, Rockstar. They should lose that protection if anyone in the car has fired a weapon in the last minute or so, I shouldn't be penalised for defending myself.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

SplitSoul posted:

When enough people unlocked miniguns, grenade launchers and RPGs, free roam would just be insufferable. Any enjoyment would be dependent on rolling with friends or crew at all times. I'm not opposed to implementing separate lobbies for that stuff, though.

I don't know I feel like the world is big enough that it's pretty easy to find huge areas of the map that aren't full of people constantly blowing each other up if that's not your thing. In my admittedly limited experience with Online so far, most of that stuff is concentrated in a few parts of LS proper and it's pretty fast and easy to just drive to an area that's not full of players if you want to rob stores or steal cars or do whatever else without getting shot at.

GangsterIsland
Jul 7, 2011

It's

GIBBS

Ho

santanotreal posted:

Though I think people are overreacting, I think a lot of the issue isn't so much that there aren't other things to do, it's that a lot of things are pointlessly restricted. Rockstar designs this leveling up system that to get the coolest (not necessarily most fun) things, you have to grind early on. But then you end up also getting punished for using those things if it damages another car. Meanwhile, if you want to both have fun in freemode AND be able to eventually afford nice things, like the apartments are cool cars, you have to just never get into gunfights (although this is less true now with death penalty equaling 500). So yes, there's plenty to do. But if you try to save up money, you can't do a lot of those things in freemode.

I think if you play free roam in moderation in combination with missions, especially at higher levels, you will still gain money. Just not at the farming speeds that everyone is used to. Especially now with death costs capped at $500, if you are high enough to do Base Invaders a few times, you can mess around in free roam for quite some time. Once you have lost all the money you are comfortable losing, go back to doing some missions. Everyone seems to want to be able to unlock and buy every single thing immediately and at the same time die repeatedly and throw an endless supply of sticky bombs in free roam with no penalty. I think the problem is the game just isn't designed to be played how goons seem to want it to be.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

GangsterIsland posted:

I think if you play free roam in moderation in combination with missions, especially at higher levels, you will still gain money. Just not at the farming speeds that everyone is used to. Especially now with death costs capped at $500, if you are high enough to do Base Invaders a few times, you can mess around in free roam for quite some time. Once you have lost all the money you are comfortable losing, go back to doing some missions. Everyone seems to want to be able to unlock and buy every single thing immediately and at the same time die repeatedly and throw an endless supply of sticky bombs in free roam with no penalty. I think the problem is the game just isn't designed to be played how goons seem to want it to be.

The problem is most of us have played the game for a few weeks before Online was even released. I know I feel a little annoyed when I'm forced to drive relatively slow vehicles and use particular weapons (that I have already used extensively in single player) solely because I haven't played enough.

If you play in GTA V for 20 hours you're likely to end up with some progress if you aren't simply messing around. The (new) rate of progress is agonizingly slow when you just want to play with the same toys you've already played with alone.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Sykic posted:

I had the same thing earlier. Got a 9K bounty on me for killing some other bountied guy, cue someone charging straight for me across Sandy Shores and peppering my car with bullets. So I do the logical thing and slap a bomb on the road, detonating it and blowing him up.

"You are being a bad sport"

gently caress right off, Rockstar. They should lose that protection if anyone in the car has fired a weapon in the last minute or so, I shouldn't be penalised for defending myself.

The real trick is to shoot out people's tires. Now they can either try and chase you while spinning out of control on every turn, grind on over to a LSC, or steal a crappy car that you can then blow up.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Kid Gloves posted:

So what's the point of putting your money in the bank?

Blowing up other people's cars comes out of you on hand cash, if its all in the bank they have to pay for it.

That's why this

coyo7e posted:

Also pouring gas all over their poo poo and then backfiring your car onto the fuel as you drive away.

One way to gently caress with people is to pour gas all over YOUR car, and then drive into a firefight. If a bullet hits a gas trail, it counts as that person blowing everything up..
is actually a very bad idea. Unless you are just trying to send somebody to bad sport hell. In that case, you are better off just giving them a buzzard or a tank.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

GangsterIsland posted:

Everyone seems to want to be able to unlock and buy every single thing immediately and at the same time die repeatedly and throw an endless supply of sticky bombs in free roam with no penalty.

That sounds pretty fun to me.

I mean I'm fine with stuff costing a bit of money but I'd rather not be forced into missions to make the amount of money necessary to really get anything good. I'd rather that it was easier to make that amount of money purely in free roam through robbing a few stores or stealing and selling a few cars or whatever so that players who just want the open world experience can have that as well.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe
So there was a pubbie chilling in the LSC parking lot in the north of the city, the one kinda triangle shaped and walled in by buildings. Also he was in a tank.

So I decided to have a bit of fun. I put a 9k bounty on him. Cue a nonstop stream of pubbies coming to claim his bounty only to come to a screeching halt when they turn the corner and see a tank waiting :D

Too bad my temporary buddy is in BS hell now :(

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I really want a Coil Voltic. The fact that its "engine" noise is the electric whir of a battery, not to mention it's fast and looks as cool as gently caress. Too bad it's so comparatively expensive.

I like it in white.

callmeicarus
Sep 26, 2003

Garden gnomes are God's unwanted children.
Yams Fan

coyo7e posted:

If you purchase armor for Top Fun, you are deliberately wasting money. And I don't care what anyone says, even losing in Top Fun is so enjoyable that the lack of payout doesn't matter at all. IT'S ABOUT THE JOURNEY, GUYS.
:colbert:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Looked online at my Rockstar profile. Saw that my stats had been wiped, had a heart attack, went online, and it was all there still. I wouldn't be surprised if they reset people though.

Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie
Has anyone else been finding it almost impossible to find good races the last few days? Every race I join is 1 lap, catchup on, traffic off, supercar bullshit on either one of the two short downtown tracks, Criminal Records, or The Commute that everybody always votes to replay. Yesterday I probably spent more time on matchmaking and joining lobbies rather than actually racing, and the game got stuck loading endlessly one of the few times I was actually able to get a decent amount of people when I was hosting :bang:

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Athanatos posted:

There is such a huge difference between the game they wanted to make and have people play and the game that was released. The 400k apartment seemingly was an end game apartment.

Their biggest mistake there is the fault of no-one but themselves.

How can you have an endgame product with no endgame missions/heists?
And do you truly believe they dont intend to add anymore purchasable property?

GTAO is the result of thinking having a missions statement and thinking patching something until it caters to it is a reasonable way to implement that system
You can't give us GTA and then say, 'no it's not gta, i've got this IDEA you see'

A few of you are defending rockstar to death and just reading the thread post after post (specifically reading robawesomes posts all together in order) are defending things to the point that contradictions are right there, in your posts.

-Why is everyone complaining about missions being half the cost, its to stop the replaying, have some diversity
"I have fun customizing cars and I need to do missions to get X money it takes long"
-You have to be replaying a low level mission to not get X money, I can replay one of the highest paying missions in the game and get that in 4 replays
:colbert:

IF you don't kill people in lobbies, what do you do? Stop at traffic lights and go to your 9-5?
Rob stores?
More then half the population of the game aren't even leveled enough to collect the crate drops or do gang wars.

Deathmatches are skewed and will be worse when the health bonuses are properly implemented.
A level 60 not only have access to more weapons but ALSO more health AND more armor.
They need more then just team balancing.

Parachuting is fun very few times unfortunately because the only change is the back ground for you essentially navigating through rings.

What's even scarier then all the people who enjoy using the money on fun things in this game is all of you who are complaining and comparing the way they play to the way you play.

Some of us play to trick out cars go on long drives, kill a few people in hilarious ways, blow poo poo up.
Some of us play for missions.
Some play for the racing.
Some of us are biding time until heists, hoping they pay unlike half the ones in the story.
Some for the deathmatches
None are superior and you can't deny that whatever they are trying to do with GTAO is and has been unclear.

And can people please stop saying "UGH why is everyone just replaying the highest paying missions" and then citing base invaders?
IIRC it was the highest paying outside of roof top rumble, at the very least rooftop rumble required you to be level 75.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 18, 2013

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Earwicker posted:

I don't know I feel like the world is big enough that it's pretty easy to find huge areas of the map that aren't full of people constantly blowing each other up if that's not your thing. In my admittedly limited experience with Online so far, most of that stuff is concentrated in a few parts of LS proper and it's pretty fast and easy to just drive to an area that's not full of players if you want to rob stores or steal cars or do whatever else without getting shot at.

Yeah, except you always respawn close to where you died and are visible on the minimap. Players with RPGs or Buzzards would just lock down others with ease, and it'd be even harder to escape if two or more were cooperating. The Bad Sport system needs some refinement for sure, but there needs to be something to prevent endless griefing.

Masa posted:

Has anyone else been finding it almost impossible to find good races the last few days? Every race I join is 1 lap, catchup on, traffic off, supercar bullshit on either one of the two short downtown tracks, Criminal Records, or The Commute that everybody always votes to replay. Yesterday I probably spent more time on matchmaking and joining lobbies rather than actually racing, and the game got stuck loading endlessly one of the few times I was actually able to get a decent amount of people when I was hosting :bang:

Yep. I've had much more fun racing SUVs than that endless Commute super car bullshit.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 18, 2013

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Masa posted:

Try joining a playlist. You might not luck out, but it's worth a shot.

I tried my first ones today and it was pretty sweet. Got one that was all air races. I've been trying to get people to play those constantly and no ever does. It was a really good time until most people dropped out and it was down to me, another goon, and a host who kept going AFK and coming back. Hell, if not for a host making it take so drat long I would have kept playing with just me and the goon.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

SplitSoul posted:

Yeah, except you always respawn close to where you died and are visible on the minimap. Players with RPGs or Buzzards would just lock down others with ease, and it'd be even harder to escape if two or more were cooperating. The Bad Sport system needs some refinement for sure, but there needs to be something to prevent endless griefing.

Yep. I've had much more fun racing SUVs than that endless Commute super car bullshit.

A simpler fix is to allow the option to respawn upon death outside of missions in your apartment, or at a hospital. The proximity there suggests that revenge kills/kills in general are encouraged.
There's even an option for 1 on 1 deathmatches.

Nothing about bad sport is a good idea. A cheating pool fine.
If I hacked and got into bad sports fine. Otherwise it just discourages play. When you have this ambitious an idea, less players means no players.
They made the first mission require you to connect to another person on launch.
That's a bold or really uneducated action, especially if you intend someone to pop this in a year and a half from now and start a new character.

You really can't discourage players from playing a game a specific way when the tools are there.
If they really cared about blowing up personal cars being of great importance they'd have strengthened the armor of vehicles to take multiple sticky bombs/grenades/rockets before explosion, or made them immmune or untarget-able.
Right now it's a skewed message. There are even explosives you can install at los santos customs.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 18, 2013

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

SectumSempra posted:

A simpler fix is to allow the option to respawn upon death outside of missions in your apartment, or at a hospital. The proximity there suggests that revenge kills/kills in general are encouraged.
There's even an option for 1 on 1 deathmatches.

There is an option for that, its just a pain in the rear end because it has to be on before you die, and having it on all the time is a bigger pain in the rear end for all the times when you aren't being repeatedly killed.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Anyone up for trading race wins in a bit on PS3? I'll be on as Hakarne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

SectumSempra posted:

Nothing about bad sport is a good idea. A cheating pool fine.
If I hacked and got into bad sports fine.

Contradictions, much? The Bad Sports lobby is a great idea that's been poorly implemented. I don't want to play with scummy cheating fucks who are invincible.

SectumSempra posted:

They made the first mission require you to connect to another person on launch.
That's a bold or really uneducated action, especially if you intend someone to pop this in a year and a half from now and start a new character.

You don't have to connect to anybody? I did the first race against just Lamar several times. I think it's even since been patched out.

• Locked thread