Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

Any suggestions for continuing to troll Scotch Tape here?

Do you live in a state where you're required to carry auto insurance? Or just ad hom the poo poo out of him for being an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Do you live in a state where you're required to carry auto insurance? Or just ad hom the poo poo out of him for being an idiot.

Very different. You don't need insurance to own a car. You need insurance to register a car for use on public roads. And if you don't own a car, you don't need to buy insurance.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Neptr posted:

Very different. You don't need insurance to own a car. You need insurance to register a car for use on public roads. And if you don't own a car, you don't need to buy insurance.

You also might be able to get away with not owning or using a car.

Good luck doing the same for healthcare, you immortal!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Everyone responds to the car insurance mandate versus health insurance mandate with "Driving a car is a privilege, not a right. You don't have to drive a car..." and will go into the fact that health insurance is a privilege, and you'll hardly be able to convince someone that it should be a right.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

The Macaroni posted:

There's a whole separate stupid email/article species devoted to Indocentric ideas. (Did I just make up that word?) They mostly revolve around one of two flavors: 1) "Oh, this scientific/architectural/medical breakthrough? Yeah, India had that in like 3,000,000 BC. The Rig Veda mentions the Large Hadron Collider." Which goes into species 2) "The only reason India doesn't rule the world is because of British imperialism."

It's mostly charming until Hindu nationalists use them as propaganda and start fights IRL.

I got a copy of the Baghavad Gita from a Hare Krishna at college. Really cool book. The dude who annotated it was kinda crazy though. There is a passage where Krishna talks about how the soul cannot be destroyed by weapons, fire, etc. In the annotation, the dude claimed that the fire weapon alluded to in the text was a nuclear weapon, and that ancient Indians had access to other elemental weapons that have yet to be rediscovered by modern science.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Everyone responds to the car insurance mandate versus health insurance mandate with "Driving a car is a privilege, not a right. You don't have to drive a car..." and will go into the fact that health insurance is a privilege, and you'll hardly be able to convince someone that it should be a right.

People literally think "America grants 100% freedom through the Constitution / Bill of Rights. Healthcare is not in the Constitution. Ergo, healthcare is not a right." The idea that there can be things that should be rights that America doesn't protect can be hard for these people's head to wrap around.

Neptr fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 18, 2013

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
Quote != edit

Hamsalad
May 28, 2007
i am torgo
Got this gem yesterday -

quote:

Scary Obituary
In 1887 Alexander Tyler, a Scottish history professor at the
University of Edinburgh, had this to say about the fall of the
Athenian Republic some 2,000 years prior: "A democracy is always
temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent
form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until
the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous
gifts from the public treasury. >From that moment on, the majority
always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from
the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally
collapse over loose fiscal policy, (which is) always followed by a
dictatorship."

"The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the
beginning of history, has been about 200 years. During those 200
years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:

From bondage to spiritual faith;
From spiritual faith to great courage;
From courage to liberty;
From liberty to abundance;
From abundance to complacency;
From complacency to apathy;
From apathy to dependence;
>From dependence back into bondage."
The Obituary follows:

Born 1776, Died 2012
It doesn't hurt to read this several times.
Professor Joseph Olson of Hamline University School of Law in
St. Paul, Minnesota, points out some interesting facts concerning
the last Presidential election:

Number of States won by: Obama: 19 Romney: 29
Square miles of land won by: Obama: 580,000 Romney: 2,427,000
Population of counties won by: Obama: 127 million Romney: 143 million
Murder rate per 100,000 residents in counties won by: Obama: 13.2 Romney: 2.1

Professor Olson adds: "In aggregate, the map of the territory
Romney won was mostly the land owned by the taxpaying citizens
of the country.

Obama territory mostly encompassed those citizens living in low
income tenements and living off various forms of government
welfare..."

Olson believes the United States is now somewhere between the
"complacency and apathy" phase of Professor Tyler's definition of
democracy, with some forty percent of the nation's population
already having reached the "governmental dependency" phase.

If Congress grants amnesty and citizenship to twenty million
criminal invaders called illegals - and they vote - then we can say
goodbye to the USA in fewer than five years.

If you are in favor of this, then by all means, delete this message.

If you are not, then pass this along to help everyone realize just how
much is at stake, knowing that apathy is the greatest danger to our
freedom..
-- JAN

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I too think empty tracts of land should have the same voting rights as a human being.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It's odd how that same email existed in 2000, even though Gore lost. I guess you can apply it to any situation.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/ballot/athenian.asp

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
It's (shockingly) factually incorrect too. Obama won 26 states plus DC, Romney won 24. Oh and Obama got 5 million more votes.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

It's also odd how a 130 year old Scot writes in a way indistinguishable from a modern American.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mornacale posted:

Just keep hammering on the fact that the CSA were traitors.

The most hilarious thing about the "States' Rights! :bahgawd: crowd is that the South had no problem trampling on the laws of Free States with things like the Fugitive Slave Act.

The South Carolina Declaration of Secession was mostly endless bitching that the feds weren't going north and rounding up black people to be sold South and that some Northern states were insisting on things like "due process" and "proof that someone is really an escaped slave" before letting bounty hunters kidnap people and take them out of state.

Come to think of it, how does secession solve that problem? If the United States is now a foreign abolitionist power, won't they be less likely to return escaped slaves?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hamsalad posted:

Got this gem yesterday -

Mmm American patriots waxing about how terrible democracy is. Maybe the would prefer a monarchy?

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Mmm American patriots waxing about how terrible democracy is. Maybe the would prefer a monarchy?

Considering how much it's become a thing for the right-wing sections of the internet to slobber over Putin, I'd say a lot of tea partiers in this country very much just want a dictator that agrees with them.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Duke Igthorn posted:

I too think empty tracts of land should have the same voting rights as a human being.

That would be more in line with the vision of the founding fathers than what we have now.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's also odd how a 130 year old Scot writes in a way indistinguishable from a modern American.

Invariably the giveaway for any pre-20th-century malquotation.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 18, 2013

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

We just had a meeting for our whole (<50 people total) company where our benefits rep waxed a little opinionated about the PPACA and I wanted to see if anyone sees anything willfully misrepresented. The things I made notes about were:

1. Obama/The Executive are violating the law by delaying the employer mandate.
2. All health plans now cover the same things for men and women, including such things as maternity and prenatal care.

He also said some things about adult children staying on their parents' plans being charged as adults (which makes sense, really) and there being three bands of ages considered for rate changes, thereby lumping everyone from 20-40 into one group, for instance. It's not that I think he's wrong in most of these, just that a discussion of how our benefits were changing rapidly became politically-charged, and I think the tone with which he delivered some of the info to our group caused it. By the end I was straight up interrupting him, like when he said the increase in almost anything you buy "will" be passed on to the consumer as opposed to 'can.'

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007
I'm bracing myself for my company's "Benefits Overview Meeting" next week. HR has already announced that "due to rising claims costs", our premiums will be going up 25%. I'll be very curious to hear their rationale for this... healthcare premiums have only risen 4% each year for the past three years, so 25% is quite the deviation from the norm!

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Tibeerius posted:

I'm bracing myself for my company's "Benefits Overview Meeting" next week. HR has already announced that "due to rising claims costs", our premiums will be going up 25%. I'll be very curious to hear their rationale for this... healthcare premiums have only risen 4% each year for the past three years, so 25% is quite the deviation from the norm!
I bet it's just a way for HMOs to squeeze money out of businesses before the business mandate kicks in.

Remember, the business mandate was delayed.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

Neptr posted:

People literally think "America grants 100% freedom through the Constitution / Bill of Rights. Healthcare is not in the Constitution. Ergo, healthcare is not a right." The idea that there can be things that should be rights that America doesn't protect can be hard for these people's head to wrap around.

I go right after these people when discussing that kind of stuff. I call them right out, and ask them what kind of heartless jerkoffs they are that they don't think everyone should have some right to healthcare insurance. Usually the backpedaling starts pretty hard at that point.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Hamsalad posted:

Got this gem yesterday -

So... The US has 48 states and a population of 270 million. Good to know.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

quote:

The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the
beginning of history, has been about 200 years. During those 200
years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:

There are a few that might disagree.

And of course, most of those are just political entities. Picking cultural civilizations would just make that statement even dumber.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Neptr posted:

People of that sort also often have a very childish view of "freedom" as meaning being able to do whatever you want, whenever you want, wherever you want.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Economic Sinkhole posted:

It's (shockingly) factually incorrect too. Obama won 26 states plus DC, Romney won 24. Oh and Obama got 5 million more votes.

Most of those five million are probably takers, so they don't count.

Also, looky what I found on Professor Joseph Olson's faculty page:

quote:

DISCLAIMER: There are a series of emails floating around the internet dealing with the 2008 Obama/McCain election and the 2000 Bush/Gore election, remarks of a Scottish philosopher named Alexander Tyler, suicide rates, or ANYTHING ELSE. I did not author any part of either email. I've been trying to kill this fallacy for 10 years. I didn't have any part of it in 2000, and I still have no part of the email in regards to the 2008 election. For details, see: http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/tyler.asp.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Duke Igthorn posted:

I love the comparison of the supposed murder rates between counties won by Obama and Romney.

Like we're supposed to assume that murderers must have tipped the scale for Obama rather than that people in poor neighborhoods victimized by crime didn't want to vote for a privileged out-of-touch plutocrat who couldn't stop himself from talking poo poo about the working class whenever he thought he was alone with his rich buddies.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Tibeerius posted:

Yeah we had our overview meeting. Our insurance guys came in and claimed a 28% hike "Because Obamacare" and nobody batted an eye and just proceeded straight to the frothing about how evil Obama is.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I've seen so many people who are upset at their hours being cut so their job doesnt have to offer them insurance. Their reflex is to blame obama, not the company that's, you know, trying to avoid giving them health insurance. It's really hard to argue it because they have a right to be angry, but they don't wanna be told their anger is misdirected.

In so many people's minds, companies are like an inevitable, unchangeable force of nature, like a sleeping tiger. And if Obama just didnt wake up that tiger we'd all be fine and better off.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

The Rokstar posted:

So... The US has 48 states and a population of 270 million. Good to know.
:eng101: Technically, we only have 46 states and 4 commonwealths.

I think my computer is bugged or something, cuz after I found this thread, my crazy email from my parents frequency has dropped by like 95%. When they start to come back I post in here and they quit again for months. At any rate, a new one!

quote:

Too lazy to stand in line to get their welfare checks for doing nothing!

Now, don't tell me that welfare recipients aren't innovative! They have figured out the System with the help from Obama and his Corrupt administration, No reason to stand on your feet waiting to get your check, they just might get tired while hard working Americans are Busting their Butts to pay for it, Just put your flip-flops next in line and go back and sit on your rear end and wait for a Government supplied interpreter to help get your free welfare check, then play games on your free government issued Obama cell phone! What a great country! Be sure and read below the picture...

Fun Fact: Ronald Reagan, the GOP Jesus, also had a free phone program during his presidency. Unfortunately for the angry ignoramus who wrote this, there is no program under Obama that gives free cell phones to welfare recipients simply because they are on welfare.

Fun Fact: That image is from people in a waiting room in Thailand. Besides, why would it even matter? "Too lazy to stand in line"? If they were that lazy I highly doubt they'd have the resolve to find a ride to the welfare office. loving retarded. The email prompts you to "be sure and read below" where they start talking about apparent voter fraud in favor of Obama? What does that have to do with an image of a waiting room in Thailand LAZY GOOD FOR NOTHING BLACKS I MEAN WELFARE RECIPIENTS YOU KNOW THEY DON'T HAVE TO BE DRUG TESTED, WRITE?

But it continues...

quote:

LEST WE FORGET
* In 59 voting districts in the Philadelphia
region, Obama received 100% of the votes
with not even a single vote recorded for Romney.
(A mathematical and statistical impossibility).

* In 21 districts in Wood County Ohio, Obama
received 100% of the votes where GOP
inspectors were illegally removed from their
polling locations - and not one single vote
was recorded for Romney.
(Another statistical impossibility).

* In Wood County Ohio, 106,258 voted in a
county with only 98,213 eligible voters.

* In St. Lucie County, FL, there were 175,574
registered eligible voters but 247,713 votes were cast illegally!

* The National SEAL Museum , a polling location
in St. Lucie County, FL had a 158% voter turnout.

* Palm Beach County , FL had a 141% voter turnout.

* In Ohio County , Obama won by 108% of the
total number of eligible voters.

NOTE: Obama won in every state that did not
require a Photo ID and lost in every state that
did require a Photo ID in order to vote.
Imagine that!

Now you can see why Romney refused to ever run again!

Fun Fact: None of the above quote is even remotely true.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/ballot/2012fraud.asp

quote:

Thanks to Obama's hand picked Lackey, Attorney General Eric Holder who proclaimed with Obama before the election that it was illegal to ask for a photo I.D. to Vote and then sued every State that required voter I.D. saying that it disenfranchised Minority Voters!

If that did not make you Puke, when Obama went to Africa this past spring he promised Africa 700 Million American Dollars that's $700,000,000.00 ( This is during Obama's own declared Sequester when we are broke) so Africa could set up a photo Voter I.D.system so Africa would have a fraud free voting system! just the opposite of what he and Eric Holder insisted on here. We are now stuck for another four years with the most Corrupt President and administration this County has ever had, and no one but Eric Holder to investigate the fraud!

And now we are you still waiting for over a year since 9-11-2012 for Obama and his Administration to investigate the real reason and find the Terrorist who Murdered Four Americans in Benghazi? Obama after refusing their pleas for help and telling the Military to stand down then went to bed to get a good nights sleep because he had a Fund Raiser in Las Vegas the next day, Obama swore to us the terrorist would be brought to justice and then waited months before the F.B.I was even sent to investigate, another Promise Obama and Hillary promised but never will fulfilled!

Next Presidential Election don't ever forget what Hillary said during the Congressional hearings about the Benghazi Murders.

What does in Matter now!

OPEN YOUR EYES AMERICA! WE ARE THE DUMBEST AND ONE OF THE MOST CORRUPT NATION ON THE PLANET!!!!!

"What does in Matter now!"

"most Corrupt President and administration this County has ever had"

I like how the author of this wrote "700 Million American Dollars that's $700,000,000.00" like literally saying 700 million wasn't clear enough for the idiots that might read this. The actual number for this program is close to $300 million, and only $53 million of that going to what a GOP nutcase might perceive as a hypocritical anti-voter fraud move done in Africa for NO REASON (except because Obama is black, obviously, born in Kenya HELLO WAK UP PPPL):

whitehouse.gov posted:

In Kenya, the $53 million Yes Youth Can program empowers nearly one million Kenyan youth to use their voices for advocacy in national and local policy-making, while also creating economic opportunities. In advance of Kenya’s March 2013 general elections, Yes Youth Can’s “My ID My Life” campaign helped 500,000 youth obtain National identification cards, a prerequisite to voter registration, and carried out a successful nationwide campaign with Kenyan civic organizations to elicit peace pledges from all presidential aspirants.
http://m.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/06/27/fact-sheet-us-support-strengthening-democratic-institutions-rule-law-and

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Anybody have a quick rebuke of the "simple math" in terms of the raising the debt limit? I like the guy, but man is that loving retarded meme disingenuous as poo poo.

It's this one:

I already have the Debt Limit Explained video queued up for this guy.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Phone posted:

Anybody have a quick rebuke of the "simple math" in terms of the raising the debt limit? I like the guy, but man is that loving retarded meme disingenuous as poo poo.

If that household could declare bankruptcy without throwing the world's financial system into potential anarchy than its not really a good analogy for the US budget.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
First and simplest- $38.5 billion, after dropping 8 zeroes, is $385, not $38.50. You can also ask how much his mortgage is, and his/his children's student loans. Sovereign debt's investment, not consumption.

There's also this article.

quote:

Anyway, it's a good analogy. The U.S. federal government really does resemble your typical money-printing family that owns lots of tanks, operates a giant insurance conglomerate, can borrow money at extremely low rates, and is assumed to be immortal.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
"There are ways for both a family and the government to raise their income. Maybe we should try that."

That shoe picture is actually loving brilliant.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Phone posted:

It's this one:

I already have the Debt Limit Explained video queued up for this guy.

Well for starters, once you opened the door all the poo poo would flow out that way, so you'd be forced to remove the poo poo by default (unless you're capable of teleporting). :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Thanks, thanks, thanks.

This is what I posted:

quote:

If that household could declare bankruptcy without throwing the world's financial system into potential anarchy than its not really a good analogy for the US budget. Also dropping 8 zeroes makes it $385 for the budget cuts.

To quote a Washington Post article: "Anyway, it's a good analogy. The U.S. federal government really does resemble your typical money-printing family that owns lots of tanks, operates a giant insurance conglomerate, can borrow money at extremely low rates, and is assumed to be immortal."

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...y-weird-family/

And here's a really, really good explanation as to what the debt limit is and why we have run into some issues over the past year or so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIbkoop4AYE

CoolZidane
Jun 24, 2008

Gen. Ripper posted:

Well for starters, once you opened the door all the poo poo would flow out that way, so you'd be forced to remove the poo poo by default (unless you're capable of teleporting). :v:

By default, you say?! I told you we didn't go far enough! Next time, we won't blink! :shepface:

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Omglosser posted:

I think my computer is bugged or something, cuz after I found this thread, my crazy email from my parents frequency has dropped by like 95%. When they start to come back I post in here and they quit again for months. At any rate, a new one!

This is actually Thailand.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

I love the comparison of the supposed murder rates between counties won by Obama and Romney.

Like we're supposed to assume that murderers must have tipped the scale for Obama rather than that people in poor neighborhoods victimized by crime didn't want to vote for a privileged out-of-touch plutocrat who couldn't stop himself from talking poo poo about the working class whenever he thought he was alone with his rich buddies.

Pretty sure that it's just code for black people. Well either that part or the part about people on government welfare.

Who am I kidding, both are supposed to mean black people.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

I go right after these people when discussing that kind of stuff. I call them right out, and ask them what kind of heartless jerkoffs they are that they don't think everyone should have some right to healthcare insurance. Usually the backpedaling starts pretty hard at that point.

Ask them whether they have a right to leave the country, then ask them where the constitution gives them that right.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Those kind of people think it's ok to say some people don't deserve health care because they "don't want to work". They've bought into the welfare queen/taker/moocher thing 100%. I WORK MY rear end OFF WHY SHOULD SOME LAZY BUM BENEFIT etc etc etc

They believe in a Just World whether they'll admit it or not. I guess it's just too hard to believe that it really isn't a just world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

myron cope posted:

Pretty sure that it's just code for black people. Well either that part or the part about people on government welfare.

Who am I kidding, both are supposed to mean black people.

That and the total non-thought process of "More densely populated areas = higher murder rates."