Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

Nihilarian posted:

^^^^^Glad to know I'm not the only one baffled by Quistis abandoning her duties. That's pretty much word for word my thoughts when I played that mission the last time I played.

The thing to remember about Quisits is that at a staggering 18(!) years old, she is the oldest member of the party. She is a teenager, and teenagers are not exactly known for their ability to make rational, logical decisions. Hell, there are adults who can't do that reliably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

1st AD posted:

FF8 is really dumb but the ride was real fun.

FF10 is the first Final Fantasy game where I was straight up disappointed and never did a replay. It was also the last modern FF game I played (mostly because my launch-day PS2 died and I couldn't get an emulator working for FF12.

You should give FF12:IZJS a shake if you can. I had no problem getting that thing running recently and I loved 100%ing that game when I've started FF12 twice before that and couldn't bring myself to finish it either time. The pacing is kinda weird though and it ends up feeling like 2/3rds or 1/2 a game.

Ohtsam posted:

You should try Radiant Historia

Its really good except for the Rosch breakpoint where its clear they just stopped caring how to fix that and just said "it did, shut up"

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Barudak posted:

Its really good except for the Rosch breakpoint where its clear they just stopped caring how to fix that and just said "it did, shut up"

Well it's established that affecting someone's life in one timeline can change it in the other, so making Rosch stop being a dumbass in one timeline made him stop being a dumbass in the other. Pretty simple.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ohtsam posted:

You should try Radiant Historia
Radiant Historia was cute but I don't think it was nearly as groundbreaking as people tout it as having been. Stocke was basically a bland Ryudo, a fairly boring professional who gets the job done and has A Past but it's like I don't give two shits about your past, who do you BECOME?

Part of RH's problem is that it moves backwards. It's more concerned about why the characters act the way they do during the game because of what happened to them in their pasts than it is with progression and change. It's a mystery that you have to work backwards to reach the solution, and I just don't dig that.

The Fuck Juicer
Oct 16, 2012

FF8 gave us the Deep Sea Research Center, the best dungeon in the FF series...fact?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Radiant Historia was cute but I don't think it was nearly as groundbreaking as people tout it as having been. Stocke was basically a bland Ryudo, a fairly boring professional who gets the job done and has A Past but it's like I don't give two shits about your past, who do you BECOME?

Part of RH's problem is that it moves backwards. It's more concerned about why the characters act the way they do during the game because of what happened to them in their pasts than it is with progression and change. It's a mystery that works backwards, and I just don't dig that.

I dunno, I really appreciated that bit because it seemed like an interesting use of the time travel mechanic. You see what people do, get close to learn what they missed out on/failed at/were held back by, then you go back to pivotal moments in their life and subtly change it with your new found foreknowledge. I still don't like Asht though because any character who is just hours and hours of "I know more but I'm not telling until the villain gets around to revealing it!" is incredibly annoying.

Except FFX. For some reason I absolutely adored it there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

Radiant Historia's time travel follows a very specific idea: There are only two timelines and they broke at a specific significant point. Both timelines are desperately trying to reconcile with one another and eventually they will because you're not able to permanently split timelines like that.

All events will eventually happen in some way in both timelines. If someone dies in Timeline A they will eventually die in Timeline B. However Stocke (and a specific villain) have the ability to alter a timeline. Once they do that alteration overrides everything else and the alternate timeline adjusts itself to match that change. If you save someone's life in one timeline they will not die in the other timeline unless the villain also alters the timeline to make them die. This will include changing the decisions people make which would otherwise lead to their deaths.

Radiant Historia is one of the few time travel stories I like because it has a fair basic concept that it tends to execute well, which is generally the best way to handle time travel. Getting bogged down in paradoxes just drags a story down.

The White Dragon posted:

Part of RH's problem is that it moves backwards. It's more concerned about why the characters act the way they do during the game because of what happened to them in their pasts than it is with progression and change. It's a mystery that you have to work backwards to reach the solution, and I just don't dig that.

All the characters get development and change though. The central idea of Stocke's plot is that he eventually lets go of his past and becomes the new person he is now instead of the person he was before.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 18, 2013

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Pesky Splinter posted:

Legacy of Kain :colbert:

HISTORY ABHORS A PARADOX.

Goddamn would I kill for another LoK game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

HISTORY ABHORS A PARADOX.

Goddamn would I kill for another LoK game.

So have you heard about the new Nosgoth game?

I hope you like F2P competitive multiplayer games.

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!

Sunning posted:

Quistis also leaves her post during the mission because she feels sorry for insulting Rinoa.

Post-leaving aside, this part always irritated me because not only was Quistis completely right in that Rinoa had no idea what the gently caress she was doing, but she wasn't even that mean. It was a reality check, more or less. I guess we're supposed to think that Quistis was being too harsh because Rinoa started pouting like a child? :shrug:

Mr. Leonheart posted:

The thing to remember about Quisits is that at a staggering 18(!) years old, she is the oldest member of the party. She is a teenager, and teenagers are not exactly known for their ability to make rational, logical decisions. Hell, there are adults who can't do that reliably.

That's very true, but I don't feel that Final Fantasy has ever really acknowledged the fact that most of the playable cast tend to be teenagers and will make dumb mistakes because of that. The same goes for a lot of other JRPGs, now that I think about it. At best you'll get a one-off remark talking about those darn kids and their crazy antics or something.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

It really only makes sense as a really hamfisted way to justify the disc 1 end dungeon. Quistis even explicitly tells Zell and Selphie to stay behind to man the gate while she goes to apologize, then the scene basically jump-cuts to all three of them outside anyway.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

ImpAtom posted:

So have you heard about the new Nosgoth game?

I hope you like F2P competitive multiplayer games.

Not a LoK game. :colbert:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

porfiria posted:

No, subscription numbers are presently at about 2/3rds lifetime peak back in '08 or so. This decline has been fairly steady for the past three years, and may have more to do with structural changes in gaming (League of Legends); I'd say it's incredibly unclear if any future MMO will ever be able to seriously compete with WOW--because the market may simply no longer exist.

Pretty much this. The population dropoff in WoW isn't proportional with gains in the playerbase of other games, it's usually just people not playing an MMO anymore.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Silly Voodoo posted:

That's very true, but I don't feel that Final Fantasy has ever really acknowledged the fact that most of the playable cast tend to be teenagers and will make dumb mistakes because of that. The same goes for a lot of other JRPGs, now that I think about it. At best you'll get a one-off remark talking about those darn kids and their crazy antics or something.

In ways, I kind of wish we could get a Shinji Ikari-like protagonist for one of the main series games.

In others, I immediately recognize how horribly such a concept would be executed AND received by the gaming population at large.:v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

In ways, I kind of wish we could get a Shinji Ikari-like protagonist for one of the main series games.

In others, I immediately recognize how horribly such a concept would be executed AND received by the gaming population at large.:v:

It isn't Shinji Ikari but Tales of the Abyss opens up with a complete whiny unlikable poo poo of a protagonist and it really isn't in the game's favor.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I like the characters of 8 - as starting points. The only one that got any character development was Squall, and it happened in the time it took you to swap between disc 2 and disc 3.

The other characters needed to have some importance, and not in the hokey "we grew up in an orphanage together but forgot." way. I swear, that scene in Trabia Garden is my least favorite scene in the series, period, just for what it reveals about the plot.

As far as Quistis goes, shockingly she's actually portrayed pretty consistently. She's demoted for not having leadership skills, and that seems like bullshit because she just shot a giant mechanical spider dead with a gatling gun and if that doesn't scream leadership potential I don't know what does. Then you give her a leadership position, and she blows it big time. She didn't even have the presence of mind to tell the others to stay in position. They weren't mean to Rinoa! Why do they have to follow you to apologize? Sadly, FF8 seems filled with moments like that.

For the record, FF8 used to be my favorite Final Fantasy, back when I played it as a kid. When I went back to it as an adult, I understood it better and it lost a lot of charm. I still enjoyed it, will probably play it again, but I can't deny it's a train wreck.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Nihilarian posted:

I like the characters of 8 - as starting points. The only one that got any character development was Squall, and it happened in the time it took you to swap between disc 2 and disc 3.

The other characters needed to have some importance, and not in the hokey "we grew up in an orphanage together but forgot." way. I swear, that scene in Trabia Garden is my least favorite scene in the series, period, just for what it reveals about the plot.

The other characters not having any development or really mattering is actually a deliberate choice by the creators. They thought that having other characters get things like subplots, sidequests or even their own theme songs (because you'll notice none of the other PCs have themes in 8) would 'distract' the player from Squall and Rinoa and their amazing love story. That's why every male character except Squall is some combination of stupid, comic relief, or obstacle for Squall to demonstrate his worth by beating.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Actually, Seifer had more time spent on him than any of your characters except Squall. Which I guess makes sense because he is the counterpart love story.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
12 sort of does that unlikable poo poo thing, though not to the extreme of a Shinji or something. For the first two thirds of the game Vaan is clearly out of his depth and is constantly being corrected, chastized, or bailed out by Basch (who he blames for killing his brother incorrectly), Balthier (who is basically everything he aspires to be), and Ashe (who is the game's actual protagonist and is mature/wise beyond her years despite being similar to him in age), and Penelo (ditto). He's still a nice guy, though, and he ends up becoming an RPG Hero by the end.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Actually, Seifer had more time spent on him than any of your characters except Squall. Which I guess makes sense because he is the counterpart love story.

Ah yes, Seifer and Raijin, the saddest tale of unrequited love.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah, and Seifer gets his poo poo ruined by Squall numerous times so that the audience "knows" that Squall is way more important than him. Of course the actual end result is that Seifer is probably the most popular character from that game because his arc is, you know, an actual arc and not just a single arbitrary change that happens between discs.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's obviously a comment on the inferiority of Courtly Love to hot makeouts. A good message, a message for the ages.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Defiance Industries posted:

The other characters not having any development or really mattering is actually a deliberate choice by the creators. They thought that having other characters get things like subplots, sidequests or even their own theme songs (because you'll notice none of the other PCs have themes in 8) would 'distract' the player from Squall and Rinoa and their amazing love story. That's why every male character except Squall is some combination of stupid, comic relief, or obstacle for Squall to demonstrate his worth by beating.
The obviously incomplete characters distract me more than any subplot ever could. If you're really trying to focus on Squall x Rinoa, why make other characters in the first place? I'd have prefered it if the other four were NPC's (sorry Selphie). Or if it had dozens of temporary characters coming and going. I could get behind that. Four characters you have for the entire game who never grow as people? The wrong way to do it.

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

sigh... you really suck at hand
to hand combat i wont lie and
this is way more challenging
then i thought it would be. to
teach you hand to hand combat,
alright i will try to teach you
some more hand to hand combat

Mr. Maltose posted:

It's obviously a comment on the inferiority of Courtly Love to hot makeouts. A good message, a message for the ages.

I misread that as Courtney Love and was incredibly confused. But seeing as we're talking about FF8, I figured it might make sense if you had played the game.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
FF8 has many messages.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Nihilarian posted:

The obviously incomplete characters distract me more than any subplot ever could. If you're really trying to focus on Squall x Rinoa, why make other characters in the first place? I'd have prefered it if the other four were NPC's (sorry Selphie). Or if it had dozens of temporary characters coming and going. I could get behind that. Four characters you have for the entire game who never grow as people? The wrong way to do it.

It's just an objectively bad idea. It seems like the kind of thing people who write lovely self-insert fanfic do, not people who get paid to do that poo poo. It gives the impression that the writers were threatened by the idea a player might actually like a character more than they do Squall so they wanted to prevent that at all costs.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 19, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Defiance Industries posted:

It's just an objectively bad idea. It seems like the kind of thing people who write lovely self-insert fanfic do, not people who get paid to do that poo poo. It gives the impression that the writers were threatened by the idea a player might actually like a character more than they do Squall so they wanted to prevent that at all costs.

That was more or less the design philosophy of the characters, actually. Nomura mentioned something about specifically designing Squall and Rinoa to overshadow the rest of the characters.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

I was going to say something about Dawn of the New World's protagonist, but god if I remember anything about that game outside of courage.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Barudak posted:

I still don't like Asht though because any character who is just hours and hours of "I know more but I'm not telling until the villain gets around to revealing it!" is incredibly annoying.

Except FFX. For some reason I absolutely adored it there.

It's because the main person doing it there was Auron, and Auron is the best. :allears:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The White Dragon posted:

Ah yes, Seifer and Raijin, the saddest tale of unrequited love.
I honestly couldn't remember if Raijin was the man or the woman who talked in all caps until I googled it.

...and I'm not sure which would have been funnier.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I honestly couldn't remember if Raijin was the man or the woman who talked in all caps until I googled it.

...and I'm not sure which would have been funnier.

"LOVE!"

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

FF8 has many messages.

Unlike FF10-2, which has

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I was way more surprised at Auron telling Tidus that Jecht was Sin over Jecht being Sin. I had gotten way too used to people knowing poo poo never saying or completely obfuscating whatever they were talking about that I glaze over at any mention of, with quotes, "him", "them", "it", or any similarly awful attempt at foreshadowing. FF10 was decent with keeping that poo poo down or at least giving some reasoning like why nobody said Yuna would die killing Sin. There is that historian dude who iirc knows basically everything but I'd let him slide since he's backstory.txt.wav and not really part of the narrative.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Azure_Horizon posted:

That was more or less the design philosophy of the characters, actually. Nomura mentioned something about specifically designing Squall and Rinoa to overshadow the rest of the characters.
On the other hand, when you go in the other direction you get XIII's cast.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

GreatRedSpirit posted:

I was way more surprised at Auron telling Tidus that Jecht was Sin over Jecht being Sin. I had gotten way too used to people knowing poo poo never saying or completely obfuscating whatever they were talking about that I glaze over at any mention of, with quotes, "him", "them", "it", or any similarly awful attempt at foreshadowing.

Heck if anything just flat out saying that just added to the mystery. Why is he Sin, and how on earth did he get that way.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GreatRedSpirit posted:

I was way more surprised at Auron telling Tidus that Jecht was Sin over Jecht being Sin. I had gotten way too used to people knowing poo poo never saying or completely obfuscating whatever they were talking about that I glaze over at any mention of, with quotes, "him", "them", "it", or any similarly awful attempt at foreshadowing. FF10 was decent with keeping that poo poo down or at least giving some reasoning like why nobody said Yuna would die killing Sin. There is that historian dude who iirc knows basically everything but I'd let him slide since he's backstory.txt.wav and not really part of the narrative.
Turns out he was also dead.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

GreatRedSpirit posted:

Yeah, what I like about Auron is that he doesn't really hide that much. What he does hide (the part about sacrificing a Guardian) didn't really make sense for them not to know anyway. Surely people would've noticed that both the summoner and guardian don't come back, wouldn't they? Also there's surely more than one guardian at one point.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Everybody but Tidus knows the final summoning kills the summoner, that was the big revelation to Tidus / the player in that desert Albhed place. Nobody ever said it prior because everybody but Tidus knew and nobody told him because its depressing stuff. The part where a guardian becomes the final aeon (and Sin) isn't known except to Auron and when Yunalesca tells Yuna she needs to sacrifice somebody else too she decides to gently caress that poo poo and beat up Yunalesca instead. Now that is withholding information until a villain presents it but Auron probably wanted Yuna and Friends to get it straight from the horses mouth. Plus it was handled well; No obnoxious foreshadowing and it helps define a good turning point in the story.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Sorry to interrupt the redeeming part of FFX chat, but what are the chances SE just coming clean with whatever monster they're currently calling FFXV and release actual hard information about the game in the remainder of this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

GreatRedSpirit posted:

Everybody but Tidus knows the final summoning kills the summoner, that was the big revelation to Tidus / the player in that desert Albhed place. Nobody ever said it prior because everybody but Tidus knew and nobody told him because its depressing stuff. The part where a guardian becomes the final aeon (and Sin) isn't known except to Auron and when Yunalesca tells Yuna she needs to sacrifice somebody else too she decides to gently caress that poo poo and beat up Yunalesca instead. Now that is withholding information until a villain presents it but Auron probably wanted Yuna and Friends to get it straight from the horses mouth. Plus it was handled well; No obnoxious foreshadowing and it helps define a good turning point in the story.

Yeah I know, I meant specifically the part about using a guardian as the final Aeon, which nobody in the party (other than Auron) knew. Something like that really should just be common knowledge.