Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

What should I do here, I plan on going science victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Resource icons would help so people wouldn't have to scrutinize the map.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Resource icons would help so people wouldn't have to scrutinize the map.

I used to have them on, but I never found out how to turn them back on. :smith:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Click the scroll icon next to the minimap for some options.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Click the scroll icon next to the minimap for some options.

There.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You have an opportunity for a good Petra city by all that silver in the desert. The Old Faithful/Gold city is worth settling, and so is the spot north of Bucharest by the pearls. Bucharest could be worth taking out an annexing, but that's a somewhat tricky judgement call. Honestly though, most of the moves there are fairly obvious.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also make sure your two Natural Wonder cities abut mountain tiles for Observatories.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
I dunno about a city right next to Gibraltar. Gibralter is one of the worst wonders and that spot looks like there's very little food near it. You could just settle it for the silver but If you're going for a science victory that city's going to slow you down a lot.

MechPlasma
Jan 30, 2013
Hey, quick question, since I don't actually have the expansion yet:

Does Assyria's ability, the "steal a tech when you capture a city" one, does that carry over to allies when playing a team match?

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

MechPlasma posted:

Hey, quick question, since I don't actually have the expansion yet:

Does Assyria's ability, the "steal a tech when you capture a city" one, does that carry over to allies when playing a team match?
If you're physically on the same team, yes, since you share techs with your teammate.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I think he's asking if other allies taking a city will grant a tech in which case im pretty sure that's no.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Monty with Temple of Artemis, Fertility Rites and Swords to Plowshares is hilarious. My cap just kept growing. I almost hit 80. I need to do this again and see if I can hit 100 with the right start.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg

Cynic Jester posted:

Monty with Temple of Artemis, Fertility Rites and Swords to Plowshares is hilarious. My cap just kept growing. I almost hit 80. I need to do this again and see if I can hit 100 with the right start.

Gotta get Hanging Gardens on top of that if you can.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Cleretic posted:

I'm really not impressed with culture games, from what I'm seeing so far. I feel like being influential over most of the world should mean something, but it just doesn't.

I think a big part is that I tend to over-specialize and turtle a bit. Turtling and over-specializing works reasonably well for a science game, and arguably well for a diplomatic game depending on how you're playing it, but a culture game demands a certain amount of guts and versatility that I just don't have.

Does anyone have any advice on that subject? I was playing as Brazil just now and trying my absolute hardest to go full-throttle on Tourism, at times ending up with triple the amount of Tourism the next best player had... but it just wasn't enough to end the game before Japan exploited a weak spot and started ripping up my empire. I didn't have much of a military at all, because I was too busy cranking up happiness (for that one Order policy that gives you a tourism bonus for being happier than other people) and pouring production into World Congress events to build one.

I feel like maybe next time I should pick a more violent civ, and try an Autocracy culture win. Just to see what happens.

My major piece of advice for winning Tourism victories is to exploit the finisher for Aesthetics as well as having a healthy faith income from the Industrial age onwards, in this manner:

1. Finish Aesthetics, allowing you to buy Great Musicians with Faith. Do not buy any.
2. Save up your faith. You want 5000 by the time you get the Internet.
3. Once you get the Internet and you have pretty much as much Tourism as you think you're going to get (Hotels/Airports everywhere, National Visitor Centre built, monuments constructed) blow all your saved faith on Great Musicians. You should be able to get about three, realistically.
4. Send your three Great Musicians to whatever civilisation is hardest to dominate with Tourism. Blow one, then re-evaluate. If they're still hardest, blow another. If they're not, go after the new leader.

You should find that this strategy accelerates your Tourism endgame significantly. This is because the amount of Tourism your Great Musicians generate is based on the amount of Tourism you were making when you spawned them. You'll also find that generally speaking there are only one or two civilisations per game that are really tough to dominate, so being able to focus on them like this is very very helpful.

I think being in a Golden Age as Brazil might increase Great Musician tourism, so be on the safe side and spawn them during a Golden Age.

Oh, and finally, Order is the worst ideology for Tourism victories. You're not going to get happier than AI civs because they get ridiculous bonuses in that area. Go Freedom and get a +34% bonus to Tourism for every city, all the time.

Supersheep
Nov 11, 2009
I just finished a Tourism victory as Polynesia on Emperor, going wide with Order, and spamming Moai like crazy. By the end I was pushing so much Tourism from my Hotels and Airports that even autocratic Sweden, who was allied with almost every single CS and kept mostly to himself, was dragged into 20> happiness.

Temporary bonuses like Carnival and winning the International Games project definitely increase the Tourism power of your GMs. I like to propose the Games so they finish right after I've researched the Internet and built my National Visitor's Center.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Gort posted:

I think being in a Golden Age as Brazil might increase Great Musician tourism, so be on the safe side and spawn them during a Golden Age.

It does. Brazil can get some pretty stupid tourism bombs that way.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Are achievements turned off when you turn mods on?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

redreader posted:

To my knowledge, yes.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

redreader posted:

Except for the achievemant "Use a mod".

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Is Gajah Madga just a mediocre civ or am I missing something?

I settled the three cities off-continent, and I built about 10 kris swordsmen but the random special abilities are lackluster with the exception of the logistics replacement and maybe the great general (though if you go to war at all you'll be making GBS threads great generals in due time). Plus a jungle start is almost never best.

The only way I'm keeping ahead in this is other civs keep declaring war on me then suing for peace when they can't get anywhere and dumping all their luxuries on me. Maybe this will change after I take berlin from that backstabbing fucker songhai.

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

So you guys who don't build melee units, do you build gunpowder units when you eventually unlock that tech?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Well gunpowder units are still melee units in terms of game mechanics. It's just that you need one or two to take cities and that's it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
A handful, sure, as blocker units. But after that, artillery and bombers are the cornerstone of your offensive. In fact, I prefer to fortify my muskets and rifles in place just so they heal up damage from absorbing enemy attacks.

Infantry are also useful, because they come early off a crucial tech that unlocks Research labs, and they're pretty beefy and can take alot of artillery hits. Infantry also have a high strength and can instakill any artillery they catch out of position.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Remind that we've got a GMR game ready to with two open slots left, here are some invite links:

http://multiplayerrobot.com/Game/Join/7895?token=e9837fb7-a325-4e2b-abdc-37d77e943002
http://multiplayerrobot.com/Game/Join/7895?token=07a30390-d8b4-4c7d-893d-91e9b3fefc89
http://multiplayerrobot.com/Game/Join/7895?token=d15cd0d4-de73-4ce5-8f34-d718b9df5cc1

Any skill level welcome (we'll just gang up on the Deity players ;))

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

I'd love to play, but I can't make a daily commitment with grad school keeping me coming and going. Weekends tend to be worst, too.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Can we pick the Civ?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yes you can! Nothing stopping you from picking Zulu and trying to stomp the nearest victim in!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Yeah, this time we'll pick civs - especially if we're doing a medieval start like that other game :P

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Defenestration posted:

Is Gajah Madga just a mediocre civ or am I missing something?

I settled the three cities off-continent, and I built about 10 kris swordsmen but the random special abilities are lackluster with the exception of the logistics replacement and maybe the great general (though if you go to war at all you'll be making GBS threads great generals in due time). Plus a jungle start is almost never best.

The only way I'm keeping ahead in this is other civs keep declaring war on me then suing for peace when they can't get anywhere and dumping all their luxuries on me. Maybe this will change after I take berlin from that backstabbing fucker songhai.

Yeah, Indonesia sucks. It's improved somewhat by the fall patch, since I believe it changes Candis to buildable in any city, instead of following the Garden restrictions.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
I haven't finished an Indonesia game yet, but with the beta patch managed to get pretty ICSy by settling on other islands first and then spamming cities along rivers for Peace Gardens (this was before the change to Candi).

Plus Kris are fun and they keep their ceremonial blade all the way to mech.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I'm playing a 22-civ TSL Earth game as Spain, and I'm off to a great start. I got the pantheon that gives you +4 faith from natural wonders, so Rock of Gibraltar is a massively broken super-tile. I also just settled Suez so I have a canal and Mt. Sinai. I might have to stop expanding because everyone is started to hate me and I've had several DOWs, but even with just those two wonders I've got some insane faith production.

I'll have Liberty finished up soon, and I'm thinking of going Piety as a secondary tree. I've only picked Piety once in BNW, as a first tree, and it went poorly, but I'm thinking it will work better as a secondary tree, instead of Patronage.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
It's the year 1200AD, just met Nebuchadnezzar II and he's producing 9409 GPT, this is a bug right:

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
I'm sad that the AI is so bad at naval warfare. I started a game with a random map, and got a bunch of islands. While some civs started off together on larger islands, I started isolated. I was playing as Venice, and I realized this map provided a great opportunity to exploit venice's military strengths. I was playing on King, and I got the Great Library completed through some luck and good decisions (I think). Anyway, my science exploded from there, and, because I was isolated, I was able to focus solely on the naval techs. I got the special naval unit for venice and brought a small fleet to my neighboring civ (Siam), from whom I easily wrested control of capital.

Meanwhile, Persia was building wonders like gangbusters. I think by this time they had just about 6 wonders. I realized I had a significant advantage at this point, and so I needed to press it, and pushed my fleet towards their capital. Conveniently, Siam had built the Zeus wonder, which gave me a bonus against city bombardments. After getting my ships into place (it was hard, as they can only go in shallow waters), I easily took the persian capital, which was only defended by land units. After taking the Persian capital, I was basically hated by most of the Civs, but there was nothing they could do to me. My fleet was too much of a threat, and I was going to soon unlock a stronger navy.

At around the industrial era, there were only two civs who were really competing for victory. Ethiopia and myself. I wasn't planning on taking his civ, although he had about 6 or 7 wonders in his capital, I noticed that three of the other civs were DoW Ethiopia. Seeing this as a perfect opening, I brought my fleet to his front door and just decimated his capital, with hardly any resistance. His defense was comprised of solely melee units (who were ridiculously strong, i would hate to go into a land battle against them) and a cannon. He managed to destroy one of my Frigates before losing his 70 strength capital.

There's really nothing the other civs can do to me on a water map, it seems, which makes my victory feel cheap. Is this something they could fix in a subsequent xpac, or should I just avoid navy games if I want a real challenge?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

DarthBlingBling posted:

It's the year 1200AD, just met Nebuchadnezzar II and he's producing 9409 GPT, this is a bug right:

Yeah it's a bug but it's not actually giving him all that money. It'll return to normal next turn.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.

SlightlyMadman posted:

I'm playing a 22-civ TSL Earth game as Spain, and I'm off to a great start. I got the pantheon that gives you +4 faith from natural wonders, so Rock of Gibraltar is a massively broken super-tile. I also just settled Suez so I have a canal and Mt. Sinai. I might have to stop expanding because everyone is started to hate me and I've had several DOWs, but even with just those two wonders I've got some insane faith production.

I'll have Liberty finished up soon, and I'm thinking of going Piety as a secondary tree. I've only picked Piety once in BNW, as a first tree, and it went poorly, but I'm thinking it will work better as a secondary tree, instead of Patronage.

since you're generating tons of faith take the reformation belief that lets you buy any great person.

Maybe I'll try a huge tsl earth game. I've been frustrating myself trying to start a Polynesia game on lakes just because I have this image in my head of medium sized sea-lakes completely encircled by maoi. But actually finding one without any resource tiles or CSs is too hard.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

On the other hand, I'm playing a game against Korea (among others) and there are literally 20 turtle ships cruising the coast. :stare: Very glad we are on good terms.

I'm launching an amphibious invasion right now to hopefully take the Wonder Pinata of Thebes. Ramses has built something like 18 world wonders, but I've got Temple of Zeus and 6 cannons with various promotions.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

canyoneer posted:

I've got Temple of Zeus and 6 cannons with various promotions.

Relevant user name.

Egypt is a game changer. By that I mean, whenever I see they've spawned I change whatever game I was playing to "Let's go see what Egypt built for us."

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Fledgling Gulps posted:

since you're generating tons of faith take the reformation belief that lets you buy any great person.

Maybe I'll try a huge tsl earth game. I've been frustrating myself trying to start a Polynesia game on lakes just because I have this image in my head of medium sized sea-lakes completely encircled by maoi. But actually finding one without any resource tiles or CSs is too hard.

That's a good call, I always end up with nothing to buy in faith-heavy games, now that they moved the GP buys to tree completion instead of tree unlocking. I'll probably go for all the resolutions that boost gp settled tiles too, so I can get more super-tiles around my cities. Maybe I'll turn it into a tourism victory.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Just got this 6 turn war between Shaka and Dido on my Spain TSL earth game.

1. Shaka captures Utique, reduces Carthage to 50% health.
2. Shaka captures Carthage.
3. Hippo Regius reduced to 50% health.
4. Dido recaptures Carthage with boats.
5. Shaka captures Hippo Regius.
6. Shake captures Carthage again, eliminating Dido.

He's quite frightening sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's always interesting when the invasion AI is actually works, because it shows that the code is there and it's quite effective. But more often than not it just doesn't work. Something goes wrong in the process and the AI will stall on some backwater city unable to put two and two together and take it. Like the time in one of my games where Shaka took a city down to 0 health with ranged units and kept that city at 0 health for 30-40 turns while he sent all of his melee units to a different city where they milled around and got killed.

• Locked thread