Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
For all intents and purposes someone does 'own' the fluff. Take the Star Wars IP, despite the far reaching extended fiction, all properties belonged to Mr. Lucas. Now Disney owns it. I see it no different then if you were to be hired to make a game for Star Wars, it got shot down and you continued to make it on your own. You'd get a cease and desist. I understand that the mediums are different but the point is still salient.

Freelance or hired, if you work with an IP that isn't your own, you're going to be under the thumb of that entity. poo poo, if you make an IP that is too close to an existing one you can get hosed. Take that lady author's horrible Space Marine book and GW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
That book if I recall correctly was called X The Space Marine, only X was the name of her furry ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL. GW's objection was entirely with the use of the word 'Space Marine' in the title.
The sad fact about IP law, at least in the US, is that you have to aggressively protect your trademarks otherwise they are free to use for anybody. At least that's how I remember it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Blacktoll posted:

For all intents and purposes someone does 'own' the fluff. Take the Star Wars IP, despite the far reaching extended fiction, all properties belonged to Mr. Lucas. Now Disney owns it. I see it no different then if you were to be hired to make a game for Star Wars, it got shot down and you continued to make it on your own. You'd get a cease and desist. I understand that the mediums are different but the point is still salient.

Freelance or hired, if you work with an IP that isn't your own, you're going to be under the thumb of that entity. poo poo, if you make an IP that is too close to an existing one you can get hosed. Take that lady author's horrible Space Marine book and GW.

Eh, not quite.

The protection for something like Star Wars falls under the copyright protection for derivative works, which usually includes things like sequels unless it's a parody or otherwise covered under fair use. Also, it sounds like Disney didn't buy the Star Wars IP, they only licensed the rights to create derivative works from the IP from the IP owner Lucasfilm.

I know the kind of crazy overbroad IP assignment contracts mentioned as part of the GW contract are usually a bad idea, probably unenforceable, and illegal in places like California and several other states. California law, for instance, explicitly excludes from such contracts any IP created outside the workplace and without using company facilities. GW's legal department sounds pretty dumb and they could get burned on this, but the whole point of the contract is to scare people and not be enforceable. Which is, again, pretty dumb since if that whole clause gets struck down, there's a chance they lose an actual case where an employee tries to separately market an idea he came up with on company time.

And has been oted earlier, that Space Marine book thing is an entirely different issue since it's over a trademark, and not a copyright, and for once it's an example of GW's legal team actually doing their jobs properly. Just like GW probably couldn't publish a book called "Tales of an Imperial Stormtrooper."

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 19, 2013

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Blacktoll posted:

Nope. That's how Warcraft happened.

Cream_Filling posted:

Eh, not quite.

The protection for something like Star Wars falls under the copyright protection for derivative works, which usually includes things like sequels unless it's a parody or otherwise covered under fair use. Also, it sounds like Disney didn't buy the Star Wars IP, they only licensed the rights to create derivative works from the IP from the IP owner Lucasfilm.

I know the kind of crazy overbroad IP assignment contracts mentioned as part of the GW contract are usually a bad idea, probably unenforceable, and illegal in places like California and several other states. California law, for instance, explicitly excludes from such contracts any IP created outside the workplace and without using company facilities. GW's legal department sounds pretty dumb and they could get burned on this, but the whole point of the contract is to scare people and not be enforceable. Which is, again, pretty dumb since if that whole clause gets struck down, there's a chance they lose an actual case where an employee tries to separately market an idea he came up with on company time.

And has been oted earlier, that Space Marine book thing is an entirely different issue since it's over a trademark, and not a copyright, and for once it's an example of GW's legal team actually doing their jobs properly. Just like GW probably couldn't publish a book called "Tales of an Imperial Stormtrooper."
Disney just bought out Lucasfilm entirely. The Space Marine thing got thrown out though, they didn't have a case. I actually asked a goon copyright lawyer who plays spacegames with me about that one and he was pretty emphatic, then was vindicated by events. On the other hand, the Damnatus film some Germans made got totally screwed over, because even though the authors wanted to sign over rights so that people could see their film German law wouldn't let them.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Arquinsiel posted:

Nope. That's how Warcraft happened.
Disney just bought out Lucasfilm entirely. The Space Marine thing got thrown out though, they didn't have a case. I actually asked a goon copyright lawyer who plays spacegames with me about that one and he was pretty emphatic, then was vindicated by events. On the other hand, the Damnatus film some Germans made got totally screwed over, because even though the authors wanted to sign over rights so that people could see their film German law wouldn't let them.

I'm not up on the actual case, but wasn't it just a C&D and that was it? Did they ever actually take it to court? Because honestly GW seems to have a decent common law claim on the term considering they published a book titled "Space Marine," and "Space Marine Battles" is an actual book series branding, with a logo and everything.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's too generic. It's a marine, which is a thing that has a clear definition, in space, which is a place that marines could conceivably go. There was a C&D and then some anti-troll IP law group sent them a pro-bono "gently caress you and your C&D" counter letter.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Besides, didnt Heinlein invent the term? I know nothing about copyright law, but I would think that his case would be just as valid if he decided to throw his weight around.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Besides, didnt Heinlein invent the term? I know nothing about copyright law, but I would think that his case would be just as valid if he decided to throw his weight around.

Actually it would be more valid because he would have come bak from the dead to do so, and you do not gently caress with Heinlein, zombie or not.

As for my personal experience, I work for a political party and part of my contract is that any industrial designs I come up with while I am employed by them belong to them. So...this poo poo is more common that you think.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Arquinsiel posted:

It's too generic. It's a marine, which is a thing that has a clear definition, in space, which is a place that marines could conceivably go. There was a C&D and then some anti-troll IP law group sent them a pro-bono "gently caress you and your C&D" counter letter.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

It's not a copyright, it's a trademark. Trademarks are made up of generic terms all the time. "Apple" is an extremely common and ancient word. Putting the word apple in the name of your next computer product still means you're probably going to get screwed in court. The example I gave before of "Imperial Stormtrooper" is two generic words, but put together and in the proper context they imply that something is an official Star Wars product even if it's not.

The same basic idea applies here. GW published a book called "Space Marine" in the 90s (which later saw an ebook release) and has a whole line of ebooks titled "Space Marine Battles." Until the offending work came out, there were no other books or ebooks with "Space Marine" in the title except for related GW products. This is a signal to consumers that when you see something with "Space Marine" in the title, it's a GW product. If the "average consumer," a particularly dimwitted legal fiction, could be confused then it's a trademark problem, especially since the average consumer in this case is primarily children (and the clueless parents of children, and also of course adult manchildren like me). If so, then the author should change the title of their work to prevent any confusion.

Heinlein never sold a product called "Space Marine" or anything easily confused for "Space Marine." Even if he had, he and his IP holders also haven't enforced their claim - they never told people to stop using the term "space marine" and the term has ceased to be strongly or uniquely associated with Heinlein (incidentally Heinlein isn't even the first recorded user of the term). If you don't take action to stop people from using your trademark as soon as you know about it, then eventually your trademark becomes generic and no longer applies. This is why GW and other companies are so anal about other businesses even possibly sort of infringing on trademarks - you have to defend them or lose them.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 19, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Very interesting! Thank you for the education.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I'll second that, interesting stuff.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That was the arguement made in the C&D to Amazon (and not the author) by virtue of GW moving into ebooks, but the counter arguement was that "space marine" has been used to describe any generic armoured future soldier by the videogame industry since Doom and that "Captain Brink of the Space Marines" was published in 1932. It didn't seem to matter that Hogarth's ebook predates any of GW's, so technically she could, were she so inclined, try to dick with them for moving in on her ebook trademark.

The end of the story is that her book is still on Amazon, thus GW were wrong.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Arquinsiel posted:

That was the arguement made in the C&D to Amazon (and not the author) by virtue of GW moving into ebooks, but the counter arguement was that "space marine" has been used to describe any generic armoured future soldier by the videogame industry since Doom and that "Captain Brink of the Space Marines" was published in 1932. It didn't seem to matter that Hogarth's ebook predates any of GW's, so technically she could, were she so inclined, try to dick with them for moving in on her ebook trademark.

The end of the story is that her book is still on Amazon, thus GW were wrong.

More like GW is afraid of more bad press and has so far decided not to pursue the matter further (or else they came to some sort of confidential agreement with the author ending the matter quietly). Amazon isn't exactly a court of law.

It's an interesting case in that probably no real publishing company's legal department would have let her go ahead with that title. But since the work was self-published, the author probably doesn't understand what's going on and didn't have any resources to do any basic groundwork on that or most other issues, let alone respond. As self-publishing continues to grow, we're probably going to see more cases like this where self-published authors don't realize that they're also small business owners who, in exchange for lower barriers to entry and a much bigger cut of the earnings, may also not get the same legal resources or protection that conventional authors have.

Also, their IP lawyers might be smarting pretty bad after their suit against Chapterhouse, making them extra sensitive.

That counter-argument has already been addressed: generic terms can still be trademarks. The same reason why they successfully registered the trademark on "Space Marine" for a video game, even though it's a common and generic term in the video game industry.

Seriously, GW does some dumb stuff, but this is a bog standard trademark defense and it seems pretty reasonable to me.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 19, 2013

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Well I suspect it would count for the purposes of protecting it against a genuine threat were one to arise and was done purely for the sake of form, but the 1932 publication date would invalidate their claim for literature and the author they were pursuing published her work before they published their ebooks, which was regarded as relevant.

Seriously though, if you think GW gives a gently caress about bad press you haven't been paying attention.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Arquinsiel posted:

Well I suspect it would count for the purposes of protecting it against a genuine threat were one to arise and was done purely for the sake of form, but the 1932 publication date would invalidate their claim for literature and the author they were pursuing published her work before they published their ebooks, which was regarded as relevant.

Seriously though, if you think GW gives a gently caress about bad press you haven't been paying attention.

Except mere use of a term doesn't invalidate the claim. Not all book titles are automatically trademarkable, and trademarks themselves must remain in continuous use. However, the titles for a book series are the classic example of a book title that can be trademarked, which is why I distinguished specifically regarding the Space Marine Battles series.

Also, I'm not clear on the exact facts of the case, but GW/BL has been publishing ebooks and other software for quite some time, as well as audio books under the Space Marine Battles series, which I believe fall into the same classification as ebooks.

I think I'll stop here since after the first effortpost I'm probably starting to bore and annoy people, but basically law is complicated and this is an example of how cases like this can and do drag on forever.

I agree that you are on the whole correct, though, in that GW corporate is run by assholes. Sorry about the derail.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 19, 2013

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Is Fear to Tread any good?

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.
Don't apologise for your posts Cream_Filling, consistently the most informative and structured responses in this thread; a thread which is already full of good info.

Fear To Tread is enjoyable in places, if you like the Blood Angels/Sanguinius at all you should probably pick it up.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I've been told that the Necrons and the Tau can't fully enter the Warp because they lack psykers. I had thought that the only psyker you needed for Warp travel was a Navigator for navigation, and that you don't need a psyker to actually enter the Warp; the engines do that by themselves.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
The Tau have next to no Warp presence (if any at all), and they don't like the idea of traveling into something that's proven to be unpredictable at best and lethal at worst. Hence "the Warp is no place for the Greater Good".

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, the Tau lack the genetic freaks necessary to navigate in the warp so they use engines which let them do short jumps that skim them over the surface of the warp, like skipping stones on water. Their tiny warp presence combined with the fleeting nature of the ship's exposure means that nothing really notices them let alone has a chance/motivation to attack them while they're jumping. It also means they are much slower/shorter ranged than the other races.

The patron species of the Necrons, the C'tan, found the warp to be anathema to their own physical existence. This is why the Necron technology tends to get hosed up by it, and designed to repel it, they are after all inhabiting bodies created by the C'tan. To get around it they use FTL ships which are a lot slower over large distances than warp-capable vessels, but faster and more manouverable (iirc) in conventional space. They also use the Dolman gates, which are C'tan created stable breaches into the Old Ones/Eldar webway network, enabling faster than warp travel but only to places connected by the webway routes they can (forcibly) gain access to. This presumably being how the different Tomb Worlds are connected.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 19, 2013

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Nobody "owns" the fluff - GW has made it pretty clear that everything and nothing is canon. All the stories we read are flawed accounts of the events and nothing is the "real" explanation - it's just bits and pieces. It sucks, but that's the stance GW has taken.

I suspect they implemented the policy in order to allow themselves the loophole of being able to go back and retcon things that they didn't think were handled correctly, but I think all it does is create confusion for the reader and dilutes the world.

Legal issues aside, this isn't quite right. Certain authors do "own" certain chapters, particularly the big 4. They basically get right of first refusal on a project featuring them, they get input on how they are handled. When other authors work with those chapters, they work extensively with the other author to make sure it all flows right. Abnett had to consult extensively with McNeill about his handling of the Ultramarines, and Ward had to consult extensively with ADB about writing the Black Legion and Chaos Space Marine fluff for the codex, and ADB has mentioned talking with James Swallow to get the Blood Angels right for Master of Mankind. It's not clear to what extent this is a hard and fast BL rule, but it is at least a professional courtesy that gets mentioned by the authors in interviews.

And as a long term Star Wars fan, let me strongly disagree with you about the canon policy. Star Wars would be greatly improved if they didn't have the "cram everything in because it is all canon" policy. The BL one of "myths and legends" is way better. If you seriously like the SW take better, I have four words for you: "super star destroyer controversy"

By the way, Massacre hit street yesterday. Anyone seen it? I know it is more plastic mans than plastic mans books, but stuff from Betrayal popped up as plot threads in the books, so I'd expect the same here

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 19, 2013

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I cannot imagine the chagrin I would feel as an author if I had to consult with Swallow and McNeill about anything to do with my work.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Does this mean Gav Thorpe runs the Dark Angel side of things? :ohdear:

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

Baron Bifford posted:

The greatest disappointment for me was the Titan. They really hype up how important that thing is, then when you see it you get a bland construct of the same poo-brown color as the rest of the Forge World, lumbering down a corridor. That is what everyone is fussing about? I was hoping for some real Pacific Rim moments.

I kinda felt that way too, although at least we got a great titan-y song out of it that I think evokes the concept well! At least the music guy held up his part of the job.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vt26l-BWpw

e: Oh yeah, and I remember thinking that they did the walking animation pretty well; along with the sense of scale of the thing, I think it did a nice, convincing job of animating how something that goddamn big and heavy would "walk." Given, I was only able to observe this because the sequence was pretty much a short, uneventful corridor walk, but I'll take what I can get. v:v:v

One Legged Cat fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 19, 2013

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I cannot imagine the chagrin I would feel as an author if I had to consult with Swallow and McNeill about anything to do with my work.

Why? Keep in mind that for all our goon opinions about books, these guys are coworkers. Heck, more so - Ted from accounting probably doesn't like the same stuff you do. These guys are all scifi authors working on the same IP for the long haul. That is way more similarity than you see in most professions. They have similar interests, move in similar circles, have similar goals, and have similar motivations. They go to conferences, writing workshops, and pubs together. Unless someone is a complete and utter horses rear end (eg Karen Traviss on the Legacy of the Force series for SW), I can't see why there would be a problem working with them.

Safety Factor posted:

Does this mean Gav Thorpe runs the Dark Angel side of things? :ohdear:

McNeill has the Ultras, King the Wolves, Thorpe the Dark Angels, Swallow the Blood Angels, Abnett the Imperial Guard, ADB the Chaos legions. And now Wraight may get the Iron Hands and White Scars if his books on them do well and he signs on for the long haul since he is handling them in the Space Marine Battles books and Horus Heresy books.

Again, this isn't to say that one is the only one to write them - Abnett did the Ultramarines, ADB did the space wolves, etc. But they have a predominant author who sets the "tone" of the faction, and others will basically do their take on it (eg ADB's afterward about how his Logan Grimnar is different from King's)

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
A candidate for the most :black101: moment in all of 40k fiction has to be in Battle For The Fang when all the most bad-rear end characters take on Magnus, the Crimson King, Tzeentch's chosen and Lord of the Thousand Sons.
This moment: 'The Great Wolf had arrived.' (Or something close to that) literally had me fist pump while reading.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Fried Chicken posted:

Why? Keep in mind that for all our goon opinions about books, these guys are coworkers. Heck, more so - Ted from accounting probably doesn't like the same stuff you do. These guys are all scifi authors working on the same IP for the long haul. That is way more similarity than you see in most professions. They have similar interests, move in similar circles, have similar goals, and have similar motivations. They go to conferences, writing workshops, and pubs together. Unless someone is a complete and utter horses rear end (eg Karen Traviss on the Legacy of the Force series for SW), I can't see why there would be a problem working with them.

Also, prose and characterization are not necessarily the same thing as general fluff tone. I highly doubt, for example, that Abnett takes syntactical advice from McNeill, as opposed to just what the 'feel' of the Ultramarines should be.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I think most of them seem like pretty chill dudes. McNeill has written some pretty good stuff before and Swallow helped write Deus Ex:HR and got a BAFTA nomination for it.

They're probably people you can talk to for ages about 40k fluff but their prose isn't at the same level as some of the other authors.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

JerryLee posted:

Also, prose and characterization are not necessarily the same thing as general fluff tone. I highly doubt, for example, that Abnett takes syntactical advice from McNeill, as opposed to just what the 'feel' of the Ultramarines should be.

Yeah, and probably making sure they don't insert a glaring contradiction or dropping plot hooks for one another to use

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 19, 2013

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

VanSandman posted:

A candidate for the most :black101: moment in all of 40k fiction has to be in Battle For The Fang when all the most bad-rear end characters take on Magnus, the Crimson King, Tzeentch's chosen and Lord of the Thousand Sons.
This moment: 'The Great Wolf had arrived.' (Or something close to that) literally had me fist pump while reading.

I didn't really like it that much, it felt like Magnus should have wiped them all out but only got sort off beaten due to plot armor. The whole sequence was basically "character wails on Magnus for a while, Magnus remembers he's a loving primarch mega psyker and one shots said character. Repeat until Great Wolf".

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Well he was basically ignoring them until they managed to interfere with what he was doing. After killing the Wolf who was fixing the Wulfen problem and wrecking his research, he knew his goals had been accomplished due to Tzeentchian prophesy powers. After that I got the impression that he was just running out the clock. Plus, you know, throwing Bjorn from the top of THE loving mountain was pretty cool, even cooler because Bjorn survived it.
Oh well, agree to disagree.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I liked the action sequence better in Nick Kyme's Salamander Trilogy When the one guy who is the avatar of salamanders (?) goes super saiyan and starts Neo-ing all the bad guys and then something happens but I couldn't parse it even though I re-read it over and over.

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

Blacktoll posted:

I liked the action sequence better in Nick Kyme's Salamander Trilogy When the one guy who is the avatar of salamanders (?) goes super saiyan and starts Neo-ing all the bad guys and then something happens but I couldn't parse it even though I re-read it over and over.

Please someone post this.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Found Massacre, flipped through it briefly. More later, but aside from some awesome art of the primarchs and Erebus (who looks exactly like the sort of rear end in a top hat you would expect) the only thing that lept out was we learned Vulkan's role: the teacher

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

Fried Chicken posted:

we learned Vulkan's role: the teacher

What does this mean? Can you give some context?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fried Chicken posted:

And as a long term Star Wars fan, let me strongly disagree with you about the canon policy. Star Wars would be greatly improved if they didn't have the "cram everything in because it is all canon" policy. The BL one of "myths and legends" is way better. If you seriously like the SW take better, I have four words for you: "super star destroyer controversy"
Could be worse, we could end up in Marvel/DC/Transformers territory....

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I don't mind the general 40k stuff all being 'canon' but the thing that annoys me is the Horus Heresy series not lining up. It was billed as 'what really happened' so you'd expect a coherent timeline.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Kegslayer posted:

I don't mind the general 40k stuff all being 'canon' but the thing that annoys me is the Horus Heresy series not lining up. It was billed as 'what really happened' so you'd expect a coherent timeline.

I know there has been one or two little bumps, but how is the HH series not lining up?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

UberJumper posted:

I know there has been one or two little bumps, but how is the HH series not lining up?

The books aren't written chronologically and several different authors are working it, so there wasn't a coherent timeline for books 1-20 that had every event happening sequentially and each author given an outline of what to cover.

I know they write the multi-book Star Wars stories like that and all the authors have to routinely collaborate and share information so everyone is on the same page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Aries posted:

What does this mean? Can you give some context?

It describes him as a teacher in basically the same way that Cruze is called a judge, Lorgar a priest, and Russ an executioner

Massacre, page 250 posted:

VULKAN
THE PRIMARCH OF THE SAlAMANDERS, THE PROMETHEAN FIRE, THE HAMMER OF SALVATION, REGENT OF NOCTURNE
An indomitable warrior whose strength in battle was tempered by the depth of his wisdom, Vulkan was sire to the
Salamanders Legion and its paragon. In war, his fury was a match for any of his brothers, and yet was ever mastered
by a keen understanding for the destruction he caused and the power and dread responsibility he and his Legion carried
as Angels of Death. In all his undertakings Vulkan ever sought to limit needless and wanton destruction, seeing in
that a path to ruin and desolation of the soul, shouldering whatever hardship this might bring him or his sons without
compliant and absorbing the wisdom such suffering brought, allowing it to forge him into an ever better protector for the
growing Imperium. But like the fires of the deep earth, that wellspring of savage power slept but was never extinguished,
to be called on when needed, as implacable and devastating as the fires of the turbulent world he called home.

During his brief youth, Vulkan led the people of Nocturne from a fear-ridden existence as the playthings of xenos raiders
to freedom, enduring on a world that tested Mankind to its very limits each day and acting as a champion for the
embattled people that had adopted him. Where other Primarchs swiftly rose to rule their adopted homes, Vulkan was
content to serve simply as a teacher and protector on Nocturne, leaving only when the Emperor arrived to summon him
to war as part of the Great Crusade. Bequeathed a Legion on the verge of destruction, Vulkan was quick to rescue and
remould the XVIIIth legion, forging them into a potent tool of war with the wisdom that had been hard-earned on
Nocturne and beyond. Amongst his fellow Primarchs, Vulkan's skill and intelligence won him many allies and friends,
including Ferrus Manus, who shared his appreciation of the smith's arts. However, where the Gorgon knew only a cold
approval for efficient weapons of war, Vulkan excelled at the creation of artefacts of stunning complexity and beauty,
forging many weapons for his brothers, all of which were treasured by their owners. With Horus' betrayal at Isstvan Ill,
and the wholesale slaughter of those Legionaries who refused to join him, Vulkan was quick to pledge his Legion to the
Loyalist cause, ever ready to safeguard the worlds of the Imperium and bring just and destroying wrath to the Traitors.

Here;s more, because I care

Massacre page 234 posted:

FERRUS MANUS
THE MASTER OF THE IRON HANDS, THE GORGON, WYRMSLAYER, THE BANE OF AsiRNOTH, THE GREAT IRON-FATHER
The Primarch of the Iron Hands Legion was a figure of legend amongst the peoples of his home world of Medusa, named
by them 'the Gorgon' after the most ancient of mythic creatures. Ferrus was amongst the strongest of the Primarchs,
within him burning the heat of the furnace, its fury tempered by an exterior as cold and unyielding as iron. The Gorgon
was known for his uncompromising demeanour, refusing to show favour to his closest followers or even his brother
Primarchs. He insisted upon strength in all things, such that he refused the people of Medusa many of the easements of
civilisation in order to ensure they produced the toughest of offspring from whom the Legion could recruit. The demand
for physical excellence extended beyond the body and mind to include the tools of war and so the Gorgon was a master of
the forge, his skills matched only by Vulkan, the Primarch of the Salamanders Legion. It was said ofFerrus Manus that
he was only truly at peace toiling at the anvil, creating some marvel of the smith's art beyond even the lords of Mars.
Ferrus Manus was blessed of a physiology remarkable even amongst the Primarchs. His arms were sheathed in liquid
metal, the result, so the legends of Medusa claim, of a battle fought against the mightiest of beasts before he was re-united
with the Emperor. His armour is as heavy and impenetrable as that of a super-heavy tank, yet he keeps both arms
uncovered so that he might bring their full might to bear. Ferrus has wrought countless weapons through the decades,
some bestowed as gifts upon his brother Primarchs, others reserved for his own use. The Gorgon himself prefers the
heaviest of war hammers, maces and similar types too massive for any but a Primarch to lift, yet alone wield in battle.
The legend of Ferrus Manus was to fall silent upon the bloody ground of Isstvan V at the hands of his brother Fulgrim,
Primarch of the Emperor's Children Legion. Having attempted unsuccessfully to turn the Gorgon to the Warmaster's
cause, Fulgrim engaged Ferrus in a duel to the death, wearing him down in a battle few but the Traitor Primarchs
watching could fully perceive. By the duel's end, the head of Ferrus Manus was cleaved from his shoulders by Fulgrim's
blade, the grisly trophy presented to Horus Lupercal by the victorious Primarch. Perhaps the Horus Heresy might still
have been averted before the death of Ferrus Manus- in its aftermath, nothing would ever be the same again.

Massacre, page 242 posted:

KONRAD CURZE
THE PRIMARCH OF THE NIGHT LORDs, THE NIGHT HAUNTER, THE LAST JUDGE, THE KING OF TERRORS
Called the Night Haunter' by the people of his home world of Nostramo, Konrad Curze was from his earliest days
a figure of dark renown. Growing to maturity upon benighted city streets ruled by criminals while corrupt overlords
enjoyed lives of luxury, Curze took it upon himself to exert his own bloody brand of justice. Instituting a reign of terror
that cowed criminal and tyrant alike, the Night Haunter brought order, of a kind, to Nostramo. When at last the
Emperor came, Curze had foreseen his life, his role as Primarch and his ultimate end, his sanity ever stretched taut by
grim visions of the horrors soon to overwhelm the galaxy.

Having been granted command of the VIII'h Legion, which the Primarch named the Night Lords, Curze set about
imposing his particular notions of order and justice upon the wider galaxy. World after world fell to the Night Haunter's
bloody campaigns of conquest, the Primarch becoming so feared that the mere word of his approach was often sufficient
to suppress rebellion and cow disobedience. Recruiting from the strongest ofNostramo's population, the ranks of the
Night Lords were swelled by killers every bit as brutal as their Primarch, his conquests increasingly fought not to deliver
the benighted from the horrors of the Age of Strife, but to shed the blood of those he judged wanting. By the time the
Warmaster's treachery was revealed to an appalled Imperium of Man, Konrad Curze and his Legion were already
renegades in all but name, on the verge of censure by the highest authorities in the Emperor's domains.

The Night Haunter and his dark kin committed themselves fully to the treachery unveiled at the Isstvan V dropsite.
Ordered by the Imperium to serve in the second wave of Legions committed to bring the rebel Sons of Horus, Death
Guard, World Eaters and Emperor's Children to book for their deeds at Isstvan Ill, the Night Lords' thirst for justice
was tragically misjudged. Curze had already thrown in his lot with Warmaster Horus, his cruel ire directed not against
the Traitors but against his own brothers and their Legions. Amidst the carnage unleashed at the height of the massacre,
Konrad Curze came face-to-face with his hated brother Corax of the Raven Guard, and it was only capricious fate that
averted the death of a second of the Emperor's sons upon the cursed ground of Isstvan V.

Massacre, page 260 posted:

LORGAR
MASTER OF THE WoRD BEARERS, AuRELIAN, THE GoLDEN, THE VorCE oF TRUTH
Lorgar Aurelian, the Golden Son as many called him, who alone amongst his brothers wielded the raw power of devotion
as his preferred weapon, was the lord of the Word Bearers Legion. In his earliest days he swayed an entire world with
his powerful oratory and the sheer force of his charisma, leading Colchis, his adopted home world, through the fires of
civil war to the veneration of the Emperor, whose coming he had foreseen in dreams. Reunited with his father, and at the
head of the Word Bearers Legion, Lorgar conquered, not simply through stratagem, overmatching power or simple brute
violence, but by the subtle craft of exaltation, liberation and example, by inspiring his sons to feats of arms in the name of
the Imperial Truth and swaying whole planetary populations through his statecraft and vision. Under his governance,
his Legion did not simply batter a world into submission, leaving behind only a scorched ruin, but applied force of arms
only as needed to raise them up and render them to freedom, reserving raw destruction and carnage for the recidivist, the
hopelessly corrupt and damned. But in his literal interpretation of the meaning of the Great Crusade upon which he was
embarked, he and his Legion strayed from the path that had been set out for them.
For his failings, Lorgar received only disdain, contempt and censure from his siblings and father. His greatest success,
the temple-city of Monarchia was rendered to dust and ashes at the command of the Emperor, who sought no worship
from his son, only swift victories to hasten his works. With his beliefs shattered by the actions of his father, anger and
resentment set Lorgar upon the path that would lead to the Heresy, and the Word Bearers began to secretly accept new,
darker truths, even as they channelled their anger into a renewed slew of conquests that allayed the Emperor's suspicions.
Both betrayer and betrayed, it was Lorgar and his Legion who would set the stage for the nightmare of the Heresy,
seeking to spread his new creed across the galaxy.

And because why not, here are some images. Apologies for them being uncropped screenshots. If one of you is a lexicanum editor go ahead and clean up the larger images here before tossing them up there

I really like the one of Vulkan, it reminds me a lot of the busts of Marcus Aurelius Antoninus, AKA Caracalla, one of the more famous black emperors of Rome. Here is a bust of the emperor, now imagine it bald and rotated 60 degrees. Same facial expression and profile.

I'm pretty sure this is Kor Phareon, even though it is on a different page than his entry. It does the same thing with Abaddon elsewhere in the book, and this matches the description

Erebus, that utter fucker. He looks so delightfully punchable. I love how the runes and scars are worked into the design. ALso, they got rid of those stupid random head spikes, which is a major improvement

Lorgar. I'm not sure how visible it is in this screen cap, but he has really faint writing done on him in the form of negative space to indicate that it is more reflective of the light. This is in contrast with the rest of it, on the armor there is tiny writing in black, indicating it is engraved. It highlights that the writing on his skin isn't carved in, but more something that handles light differently (in canon, because it is tattooed gold). Neat trick really. The expression is nicely done. This is a man at peace with himself, surveying something from afar.

Cruze. I'm a little iffy on the teeth, but I do like the rest of it.

Ferrus Manus. Like the shot of Fulgrim, Erebus, Kor Phareon, and Abaddon, it is pretty clear that this is design work from the model. Clear that is, because the model has the same expression. I haven't seen the one of Lorgar close up, but I assume that is the same in his case as well.

There is a lot more, basically an entry for all the primarchs, plus their right hand man (Malgohurst, Typhon, Sevatar, etc) plus more great art like some really creepy noise marines and the like, plus all the new units but I am already pushing the envelope of :filez: so