Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

dino, you just don't understand - you've never had to hide behind a beard ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Hide what behind a beard? A double chin?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You know, a beard

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

GrAviTy84 posted:

unffffffff dem garlic prawns on drunken noodles @ lotus. also the crispy rice app.

And also viva las arepas. :getin:

Doing Lotus and Arepas in one day may result in unexpected turmoil. Whenever I start at Tacos el Gordo and finish at Lotus there are consequences. You have been warned.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3575512

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Well gee thanks a loving bunch.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
That reminds me that my kitchen needs a deep clean this weekend.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them
Went to Ad Hoc in Yountville CA.

Dinner was excellent.

As was the wine pairings.
dinner menu for friday, october 18th

mizuna & frisée salad
di stefano burrata
k&j orchard hosui pears
grilled red onions, crispy prosciutto
tondo balsamic

~

roasted chicken
sweet carrot obliques, pearl onions
tokyo turnips, tfl garden sunchokes
celery treks, cauliflower, marble potatoes
hobbs bacon lardons, wilted escarole
red wine sauce

(+)

shrimp a la plancha
chermoula, braised red cabbage
herb salad

$14

~

old chatham sheepherding co.
nancy’s camembert
bouchon bakery bread, peppered cashews

~

chai panna cotta
cardamom chantilly, turbinado sugar
shortbread cookies

$52

NosmoKing fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 19, 2013

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Squashy Nipples posted:

I can't even keep a 'soul patch' (that little bit under you lower lip), because I sleep with a CPAP mask, and that would interfere with the seal.

I have a full, short beard and use a CPAP mask. It sucks, but with tight enough straps, it works well. I did have to get a larger mask to fit my nose because the seal is so squashed. It took a while to get used to, though.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

NosmoKing posted:

Went to Ad Hoc

We have reservations for my birthday next month and I've signed up for the daily menu email so I can get more and more anxious on what we're going to get. I can't wait, we never go anywhere nice.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

It's Honeycrisp time again. I loving love Honeycrisp time. They are the best goddamned apples ever. I've been trying to come up with a recipe that really showcases them, but I'm having trouble. Any ideas?

edit to add: I've tried a few pies and tortes, which were loving great, but didn't really seem to be a honeycrisp apple pie so much as just a really good apple pie. Also stuffed a pork chop with diced apple, carrot, and cornbread, but again, it was REALLY GOOD, but. I'm looking for something that really makes the honeycrisp apple specifically sing, but I suspect this is something of an impossible idea.

PopeCrunch fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 21, 2013

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

PopeCrunch posted:

It's Honeycrisp time again. I loving love Honeycrisp time. They are the best goddamned apples ever. I've been trying to come up with a recipe that really showcases them, but I'm having trouble. Any ideas?

edit to add: I've tried a few pies and tortes, which were loving great, but didn't really seem to be a honeycrisp apple pie so much as just a really good apple pie. Also stuffed a pork chop with diced apple, carrot, and cornbread, but again, it was REALLY GOOD, but. I'm looking for something that really makes the honeycrisp apple specifically sing, but I suspect this is something of an impossible idea.

Cut, peel, eat.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

PopeCrunch posted:

Apple, brie, toast.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

contrapants posted:

I have a full, short beard and use a CPAP mask. It sucks, but with tight enough straps, it works well. I did have to get a larger mask to fit my nose because the seal is so squashed. It took a while to get used to, though.

Yeah, tried that, couldn't deal with leakage, way too uncomfortable. With a freshly shave, it just sort hovers gently over your face, which for me makes it worth forgoing the facial hair.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Make apple sauce or apple butter

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

PopeCrunch posted:

Cut, peel, eat.

Maybe stuff with butter and brown sugar, then bake. I'm going to try this one myself tonight.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Ahahahah.

We should have another post your fridge thread in GWC.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

The guy in that thread casually mentioning that he's browning elk for a chili and the Cooking Mama Lets Play and some other threads kinda bum me out that there are so many cookists on the forums that are afraid of this forum.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Pester posted:

The guy in that thread casually mentioning that he's browning elk for a chili and the Cooking Mama Lets Play and some other threads kinda bum me out that there are so many cookists on the forums that are afraid of this forum.

Are people actually afraid of GWC? I got the impression that no one cared because GWC isn't all about video games or categorizing funny pictures.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Sitting in a tire shop next to two old ladies who are talking about Obamacare and the "death panels".

They both agree it is a good idea and seem to think old people are a drag on society. From overhearing it sounds like they just met. poo poo is weird.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pester posted:

People aren't scared, they just don't want to deal with rear end in a top hat goon critiques. I bet there are a lot of people who work out or like clothes (despite being goons) but don't post in YLLS.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

contrapants posted:

Cut, peel, eat.

Maybe stuff with butter and brown sugar, then bake. I'm going to try this one myself tonight.

A similar thing I do for a quick dessert is slice an apple or two and pile the slices on a sheet of tinfoil. Sprinkle with brown sugar and then scrunch the tinfoil up so it's like a bag around the apple slices. Put the tinfoil package in the oven and cook on medium heat until it starts to smell good (15-20 minutes at the most) then check the apple until cooked to your liking.

The apple should go soft and there'll be quite a lot of liquid so it makes a perfect dessert either by itself or with some icecream. It's also an easy way to make apple pie because you can cook the apples in the tinfoil then pour them into your pastry and just cook long enough to brown the pastry (or let it puff up if you're using puff pastry like I normally do).

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

mindphlux posted:

also I guess looking for off the beaten track fun things to do, since apparently THE ENTIRE loving GOVERNMENT IS CLOSED

Tell me about it. Probably my only ever visit to DC last weekend (for a wedding in VA) and the Smithsonian museums all shut :argh: Had fun eating my way up the East coast on a road trip though -> Baltimore -> Philly -> NYC. Now in Sacramento, heading to SF this weekend via Napa then back to London.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Pester posted:

Not afraid, just not enough interest in the topic to write about it, that's all.
Could range from complete failure to understand the topic, (in which case bad things would happen if people post here), to just not being interested to post about cooking, to just lurking.

Some forums I've never looked inside, others I read a few threads and left, more subforums I lurk but don't post, and only about 3 subforums I ever post in.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Is there a goon-approved veggie chili recipe? I know how much some people care about chili and I figure if anyone's got the best recipe it's someone on here.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Vagueabond posted:

Is there a goon-approved veggie chili recipe? I know how much some people care about chili and I figure if anyone's got the best recipe it's someone on here.

Take recipe that uses ground beef, replace with something like Gardein, eat. Chili is mostly about getting a good spices mixture/flavor setup. I dunno, anything is basically vegetable soup (which is still good, but).

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

mediaphage posted:

Take recipe that uses ground beef, replace with something like Gardein, eat. Chili is mostly about getting a good spices mixture/flavor setup. I dunno, anything is basically vegetable soup (which is still good, but).

The gardein stuff kinda turns to mush in my experience. If you want soy textured protein stuff in your chili, the morningstar farms garbage is better but not by much. I just usually throw in a couple different types of beans instead of one.

contrapants posted:

Are people actually afraid of GWC? I got the impression that no one cared because GWC isn't all about video games or categorizing funny pictures.

People are afraid of GWC and PI and neither have the teeth they used to so I don't get it. I just put it to that whole "goons are scared of weird poo poo".

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

People are afraid of GWC and PI and neither have the teeth they used to so I don't get it. I just put it to that whole "goons are scared of weird poo poo".

I don't think people are afraid of GWC. I think it got overmoderated and turned into crap. A lot of the folks who really knew what they were doing and contributed a lot stopped caring when it became a forced feel good zone and you had to gladhand the gbsfood types who posted poo poo food. When gws was first its own forum, it was meat ships and hot dog rollups and people worked hard to turn into a good food zone. But thinskinned idiots whined when posters made fun of their hamburger mac and said we were snobby. Which I suppose we were, but in a productive way. Now, for the most part, no one bothers to post good stuff and no one bothers to post crap either. So we have a bunch of megathreads but really nothing original or unique to offer.

Delete GWC.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Vagueabond posted:

Frequently asked here but never properly answered.
Most vegetarian versions are poo poo.
I cook a lot of vege food, but also don't mind cooking lots of meat. All the vegie versions I've seen don't just skimp the meat, but also spices, herbs and other flavourings, so they end up bland.
Like mediaphage suggested, just find a good meat one and omit the meat, rather than try find a good veggie one.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I don't think people are afraid of GWC. I think it got overmoderated and turned into crap. A lot of the folks who really knew what they were doing and contributed a lot stopped caring when it became a forced feel good zone and you had to gladhand the gbsfood types who posted poo poo food. When gws was first its own forum, it was meat ships and hot dog rollups and people worked hard to turn into a good food zone. But thinskinned idiots whined when posters made fun of their hamburger mac and said we were snobby. Which I suppose we were, but in a productive way. Now, for the most part, no one bothers to post good stuff and no one bothers to post crap either. So we have a bunch of megathreads but really nothing original or unique to offer.

Delete GWC.

The worst thing that happens these days is mindphlux calls you a goon.
It must tear him up inside so bad.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 22, 2013

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Delete GWC.

I was just noticing the other day that there are no recipe threads anymore. It's all megathreads. I miss seeing a new recipe posted with the images and step-by-step instructions, and seeing everyone else's replies when they try it, etc. :(

But, the intimidation might have something to do with that. If you're not a great cook it can be hard to consider posting a recipe, when you have to wonder "Will I get torn a new one for not making (insert x ingredient) from scratch?". I mean, some time back I posted about a spinach pie I made for the first time 'from scratch' (ie, didn't use pre-frozen spinach, etc) but got questioned on whether I made the phyllo pastry myself. It's discouraging.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Most recipes suck anyway.

Seriously though, heaps of recipes in megathreads, a few in the wiki, and a lot of authentic ones and modern ones in books, or even up on YT or elsewhere in the internet.
I never knew GWC was supposed to be a recipe book, or be entertainment for all the poo poo recipes out there that may be posted up here.
I was laughing at falafel recipes last night, thanks GWC for teaching me they need to be uncooked chickpeas, it was here I learned how to spot a good recipe, but I don;t need GWS for a recipe. Anyway, I found a good recipe for falafels online and had delicious falafels tonight, with yogurt, lemon and mint dressing.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

EVG posted:

I was just noticing the other day that there are no recipe threads anymore. It's all megathreads. I miss seeing a new recipe posted with the images and step-by-step instructions, and seeing everyone else's replies when they try it, etc. :(

Many of us don't want to bother because we don't want to be probated for jumping someone's poo poo when they come into our recipe thread or whatever and say "well I don't like the way you did it so I did it my way with cheeze wiz instead and it's much better now and why don't you think I'm a unique snowflake :cry:." It is exactly what FGR says above. For serious - why bother with too much effort when the only posting that seems to be encouraged is the low effort gbsfood chickencheese kind?

quote:

But, the intimidation might have something to do with that. If you're not a great cook it can be hard to consider posting a recipe, when you have to wonder "Will I get torn a new one for not making (insert x ingredient) from scratch?". I mean, some time back I posted about a spinach pie I made for the first time 'from scratch' (ie, didn't use pre-frozen spinach, etc) but got questioned on whether I made the phyllo pastry myself. It's discouraging.

Nobody is going to give you an actual serious hard time about using premade phyllo if you're a home cook. I sure as hell don't. On the other hand it's serious good points if you do because making phyllo is the business.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
What about if I spell it 'filo'? Will people give me a hard time about that here?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

EVG posted:

and seeing everyone else's replies when they try it, etc. :(

Yeah, this is what I miss, the participation. Even the last handful of ICSAs have had very few entries.

EDIT: a notable recent exception being DnF's ice cream thread.

I don't think people are afraid of GWC. I think it got overmoderated and turned into crap. A lot of the folks who really knew what they were doing and contributed a lot stopped caring when it became a forced feel good zone and you had to gladhand the gbsfood types who posted poo poo food.

So they took their ball and went home? That's a fantastic response.
If we are talking about Whirled Peas, I don't think that was an overreaction. It was a needed correction, one that people over reacted to.

Look, I was a pretty average/mediocre cook when I started reading GWS (back in the meatship days), and I've learned a tremendous amount from this forum, in many different ways. I'm not saying that we have to tolerate GBS style bullshit, but we NEED to find some way to make GWS a Big Tent.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Many of us don't want to bother because we don't want to be probated for jumping someone's poo poo-

Go look at PI's 'how do we fix this forum' sticky and apply to GWS/C.

quote:

Nobody is going to give you an actual serious hard time about using premade phyllo if you're a home cook. I sure as hell don't. On the other hand it's serious good points if you do because making phyllo is the business.

I make pie dough once a year and gently caress it, otherwise I'm buyin' pillsbury because sitting a pie crust right makes me get crazy and I don't want to sit there for an hour on one pie crust because one edge is uneven.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, this is what I miss, the participation. Even the last handful of ICSAs have had very few entries.

The most common reason I hear from that is "I'm too poor to do anything" and even a few of the regulars were saying that. But yeah, intimidated is a better word than "fear" or whatever I said.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

EVG posted:

I don't get what's so scary about hearing the words "hey, you should try making that bit from scratch". It's just a suggestion. People don't have to do everything the internet says. I don't think I've ever seen anyone get ripped for a humble recipe that used carton broth, or store bought bread, or whatever. Usually it only happens with poor delivery. MAN CHILI comes to mind.

also pie dough is silly easy in a food processor.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

The gardein stuff kinda turns to mush in my experience. If you want soy textured protein stuff in your chili, the morningstar farms garbage is better but not by much. I just usually throw in a couple different types of beans instead of one.

That would be true if you used the regular Gardein things like the beef tips or patties, but the crumbles hold up perfectly well in chilis and stews - I had some last night for dinner. They're really nice.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I make pie dough once a year and gently caress it, otherwise I'm buyin' pillsbury because sitting a pie crust right makes me get crazy and I don't want to sit there for an hour on one pie crust because one edge is uneven.

I used to be like this until I switched to doing all my pie doughs in the food processor. Brilliant, flaky results and it takes a max of ten minutes from start to baking, discounting resting for a couple of hours in the fridge (which is why I always make a double batch and freeze half of it).

Delete GWC.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
I honestly had no idea people used to post recipes here. I thought people posted bread in the bread thread, pizza in the pizza thread, etc., and if it doesn't fit anywhere, the "I bring a camera to the fuckin' table" picture thread. I've taken pictures of the process I've done to make something if it's a more involved process than usual, but I never thought to start a thread for it. I usually try to find another thread it would fit into.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I make pie dough once a year and gently caress it

American Pie style? :raise:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I want to post a step-by-step when I next make rusks. I've thought about it before but I always forget.

The forum has become slightly moribund though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

The recipe posts were kind of in the format of the recent cook-or-die in that people would post a recipe and others would make it and post their results/adjustments, except it wasn't mandatory for everyone that posted in the thread. I specifically remember a problem with them being that people would storm in bitching about the authenticity of recipes; this paella thread that turned into a 1-voted shitshow due to fighting about being able to make authentic paella without a clay(?) oven comes to mind as the death of single-recipe threads.