Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

404notfound posted:

it's downloading the whole 15 gigs again god dammit

It's showing up as a completely separate entry in the list, which is actually kind of unsurprising considering what it is and how Steam works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Nice it didn't even port over the achievements.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU
Hmm, will it let you purchase it as a gift at the $4.99 price? That'd be loving awesome if I could get a bunch of cheap copies to give away as christmas presents.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Edit:^ Yeah, somebody should check (even if you bought it someone should see if the discount is still there for the gift).

FallenGod posted:

Also having to stop playing at the appropriate point in the story, load the DLC up, then go back to the main game seemed silly. If it's actually a real part of the game now I'll drop $5 for that alone.
I remember people (including myself) wouldn't recommend that, which is kind of funny because now it'll be standard.

cheesetriangles posted:

Nice it didn't even port over the achievements.
Good, now I can get them all over again :unsmigghh:

I wonder how the NG+ thing'll work? I'd think I'd rather have a respec so I could decide to use points or not.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 22, 2013

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
It's letting me add a copy as a gift to the cart at $4.99.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah I read on NeoGaf you can gift people it for 5 dollars. Pretty fantastic feature.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Do we know how transferring your augs between the main game and the Missing Link is going to work?

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

Do you fail the game if you just straight up murder all the civilians? I want to try a psychopath run since the first time I played was a pacifist run. Hoping the achievements carry over on steam.

Go hog wild. You can kill pretty much everyone in every area that allows you to go into combat, and people will mainly just yell at you impotently.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tunahead posted:

Go hog wild. You can kill pretty much everyone in every area that allows you to go into combat, and people will mainly just yell at you impotently.

Yeah, I think there's only like 3 or 4 people you can shoot and not kill. (Note that shooting in Detroit will bring heavily armored riot cops on your rear end, I've never survived but it's theoretically possible.)

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

As an additional note, if you intend to murderize absolutely everyone in the entire game, the way takedowns work will usually penalize you for this, because non-lethal takedowns have all the advantages (more exp, more silent) and lethal takedowns have all the drawbacks. What you should do to bypass this is to do non-lethal takedowns on everyone and then execute them with headshots when they're laying on the ground unconscious. :unsmigghh:

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I kind of want this now but I am in Australia. Anyone able to gift it to me for upfront paypal monies? Add me on steam if you can do it. My userid is fpotyay. Cheers.

edit: oh, and only if you own the game and Missing Link because I do and I don't really want to pay more than US$5 :)

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

^Edit: You should probably ask in the Steam thread, I would but like I mentioned I'll probably even have to get it through card sales right now. Actually, somebody should mention it there anyway, so goons know about a deal (well, if you have no qualms about it, I guess?).

cheesetriangles posted:

Yeah I read on NeoGaf you can gift people it for 5 dollars. Pretty fantastic feature.
So, nobody buy this game if they don't have it, just buy/trade it for someone that own the original and expansion. There's no way they're not fixing that.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Oct 22, 2013

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Well I didn't even murder anyone in the police station but when I emerged outside all the cops were mad at me. So I had to kill them all. Then gang members were mad at me so I had to kill them too. I was only joking about the murder everyone part. I bet that fucker Haas ratted me out.

I love the new commentary but have given up on listening to it all. Just so much of it it really slows you down. Some of it is pretty fascinating stuff.

Also you don't get the 10,000 dollars anymore at the start of the game like you did if you had the preorder DLC. Which is a big bummer. The preorder weapons are found very early on in the first level.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

The preorder weapons are found very early on in the first level.

Are they hard to find? I never had the Tactical Enhancement Pack, so I'd like to try out the weapons that DLC had.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Locations of preorder weapons:

sniper rifle is on the guy on the roof of the plant where you normally sneak into the factory via the vent, the sawed off shotgun is on the ground floor in a crate just past the front door along with the sticky bombs.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

Locations of preorder weapons:

Awesome! Thanks!

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Yes, time to play some Deus E-- 15gb :suicide:

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I guess I just have to decide if I am going to go the lethal or non-lethal route now. I played non-lethal way back when, as the game seems to encourage it with experience bonuses. Maybe I will try using some of those guns now though. Of course, didn't the new add-on add more options aside from fighting on bosses and such? Man, tough call.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Filthy Monkey posted:

I guess I just have to decide if I am going to go the lethal or non-lethal route now. I played non-lethal way back when, as the game seems to encourage it with experience bonuses. Maybe I will try using some of those guns now though. Of course, didn't the new add-on add more options aside from fighting on bosses and such? Man, tough call.

My two previous playthroughs were both completely non-lethal. Now I don't really care about EXP so I'll just shoot everything that moves and see how it goes instead.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
For me it's gonna be Foxiest of the Hounds: Round 2: Hope they added a way to check if I'm in the clear.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Doflamingo posted:

My two previous playthroughs were both completely non-lethal. Now I don't really care about EXP so I'll just shoot everything that moves and see how it goes instead.
You've convinced me. I started with the tranq-rifle, but I am now playing "Shotgun people in the face". Need to actually use these new DLC weapons, after all.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I started out being stealthy but then decided to shotgun everyone in the face. The double barrel is pretty much amazing. I had a quest bug out on me or maybe I just couldn't find my way into the basement of a building but I am pretty sure theres is no way into lower floors of that building. So I just shot someone related to the quest in the face. Sadly this despawned one of my favorite weapons because I hadn't looted it yet.

Shutting down the signal went well with a combination of silenced pistol and shotgun. Never had such an easy time going through there. Stealth is great and all but it takes a lot longer than just killing everything that moves.

I decided to roleplay that Adam is suffering from some problems with his augs that are affecting his mental reasoning. There is always NG+

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Wait, does Director's Cut have preorder bonuses? I can't even buy the game yet here, there's just a two day countdown.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

No it has the original preorder bonuses built in. Some extra weapons and such. They later sold it as DLC for like 5 bucks.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is killing still noisy and gives less xp than stealth takedowns?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Also just to remind people new players, keep an eye out for "weak walls" that have that telltale crack in them. Just like in NES Metal Gear you don't HAVE to punch through them, the sticky bombs or any other explosive thing (even the explosive rounds mod that works on some pistols) will let you blow through them. There's actually quite a few in the later Hengsha missions where you can get more goodies/create very useful shortcuts. So don't even bother spending the points to punch through walls as almost all of them are in such out of the way places that you won't even alert anyone with the blast if you wait for the patrols to walk away.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So if have all the DLC already, the only reason I would buy this is for non-poo poo bossfights?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
So I'm at work, but based on the fact that prior to release we only ever heard unsubstantiated speculation about how the PC version would handle second screen functionality, I'm betting that stuff is not actually in the PC release, right?

AlternateAccount posted:

So if have all the DLC already, the only reason I would buy this is for non-poo poo bossfights?

And NG+, and commentary, and additional graphical effects to bring the rest of the game up to Missing Link quality, and there's probably more stuff I forget.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Is the game any different on a moment to moment basis? Does gunplay feel/look/sound any different from the base game or is it untouched? Also, do the graphical updates include "remove obnoxious gold filter" and/or "improve contrast so the game doesn't look so washed out all the time" options in the graphics menu? Also is there an option to disable the shaky-cam head bobbing effect?

Also, is gibbed working on an update to his debug menu for this version? This will likely determine whether or not I buy the update.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 22, 2013

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

The general feeling in this thread is that it's unfair how the game rewards more xp for nonlethal takedowns, but I have a question about that. When I play stealthily, I'm only going to takedown a few enemies and sneak past the rest, as opposed to when I'm playing lethally where I'll shoot almost all of them. Do you actually end up netting more xp stealthily if you only takedown the people who you really need to? Or is the xp bonus it gives you for sneaking past still that significant?

I guess I'll find out for myself anyway as soon as my 15 gig download finishes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

Is the game any different on a moment to moment basis? Does gunplay feel/look/sound any different from the base game or is it untouched? Also, do the graphical updates include "remove obnoxious gold filter" and/or "improve contrast so the game doesn't look so washed out all the time" options in the graphics menu? Also is there an option to disable the shaky-cam head bobbing effect?

No. It's literally the original game with all the DLC/preorder stuff built in, a slightly better lighting shader and reworked boss arenas so you can hack a computer to turn on turrets or something.

That's all it is, as they've been saying for months now.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

tankadillo posted:

The general feeling in this thread is that it's unfair how the game rewards more xp for nonlethal takedowns, but I have a question about that. When I play stealthily, I'm only going to takedown a few enemies and sneak past the rest, as opposed to when I'm playing lethally where I'll shoot almost all of them. Do you actually end up netting more xp stealthily if you only takedown the people who you really need to? Or is the xp bonus it gives you for sneaking past still that significant?

I guess I'll find out for myself anyway as soon as my 15 gig download finishes.

Well depending on your play style you may well end up taking everyone down in an area anyway just to get some quiet time for looking in vents and toilets and reading people's scandalous private emails without having to avoid enemy line of sight. That, and it's not just the exp bonus. There's also the noise. Dead people make a lot of noise for some reason. Living people are whisper quiet. I guess this is because living people still retain their consideration for others, and don't wish to be rude by making a lot of noise, whereas dead people are dead and have no consideration for anything at all. Have you ever seen a dead body? I have, and it didn't offer me any kind of counseling in those trying times.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
So - old save games work fine on the Director's Cut or will we be required to start a new game?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I suppose playing the Missing Link is required now? I always thought it interrupted the urgency of the story ("Time to go rescue Megan! - but first here's this ship mission.")

JonFM
Oct 3, 2013

Katreus posted:

So - old save games work fine on the Director's Cut or will we be required to start a new game?

They should work as the changes for directors cut mostly seem small.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

JonFM posted:

They should work as the changes for directors cut mostly seem small.

I do wonder, though. Especially since, like, what if you have a save during one of the boss fights? Obviously that save won't be good anymore, right?

JonFM
Oct 3, 2013

Crappy Jack posted:

I do wonder, though. Especially since, like, what if you have a save during one of the boss fights? Obviously that save won't be good anymore, right?

Depends on whats changed of the boss.

If they added something to the room the game probably won't care

If they changed the name of the room or anything in it that the original save uses, there might be issues.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The bossfight rooms are vastly different. At least the first one was. I wasted two auto hackers on computers only to realize I didn't have the skill upgrade to make use of the alternate way to solve it.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Why exactly do we Eurogoons have to wait three more days for this anyway? Did they say? Also this seems to be steam-exclusive, at least amazon and GMG don't seem to carry it, correct? So there isn't even an easy way around the additional wait :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Listening to the commentary on how they added the hostage deaths late in development when Sarif calls me up to yell at me for not moving fast enough.

e: I thought they reworked takedowns and energy usage?

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 22, 2013

• Locked thread