Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spinal Pap
Jun 24, 2007

uh-
I just listened to the new In Solitude. Holy poo poo! Their previous two albums felt a bit "whatever" to me but this one is amazing. There's even a Cortex-cover at the end. Top 3 for album of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

DeusExMachinima posted:

How about a cross between death(ish) vocals and power metal? The disbanded-too-soon Imperanon.

e: also yeah, Manilla Road, forever, but everyone else already mentioned them

Okay, those female vocals are the best I've ever heard in metal. Is she on every track?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Vargatron posted:

Okay, those female vocals are the best I've ever heard in metal. Is she on every track?
No, but if you're into Children of Bodom-alikes with female vocals, you could do worse than checking out Sinergy. Their music is kind of boring, but Kimberly Goss is a criminally underrated singer. I'm actually kind of sad she hasn't done much singing since this album a decade ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjYfEi6yadY

ShrewdOrganMerchant
Apr 26, 2008

Please stop doing that.

DeusExMachinima posted:

How about a cross between death(ish) vocals and power metal? The disbanded-too-soon Imperanon.

Reminds me a bit of Unleash the Archers, whose 2nd album I've basically had on repeat for the past month or so. It's like sci-fi themed power metal with a female lead and rough, male backing vocals for most tracks.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Misogynist posted:

No, but if you're into Children of Bodom-alikes with female vocals, you could do worse than checking out Sinergy. Their music is kind of boring, but Kimberly Goss is a criminally underrated singer. I'm actually kind of sad she hasn't done much singing since this album a decade ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjYfEi6yadY
The two first albums were quite meh, but Suicide By My Side is actually pretty drat solid, despite the lovely emo title. Goss does have way more balls than 3 average male power metal singers put together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS7VP4EBAB8

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

The new Skeletonwitch is pretty by-the-numbers Skeletonwitch but goddamn if the hook on Burned From Bone isn't the best thing ever.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gamma Nerd posted:

:aaaaa: Holy poo poo Sigh, I never knew.

Hail Horror Hail is pretty badass but I've never liked their really obnoxiously eclectic proggy stuff like In Somniphobia. I mean, they're not nearly as obnoxious as unExpecT or Diablo Swing Orchestra, but "avant-garde metal" is so silly.

Apparently Graveward is planned for a 2015 release?

Hangman's Hymn was pretty straightforward if you don't like that sort of thing. I'll admit I went through a phase in university where my favorite genre was "Avant Garde Black Metal" :negative: I didn't like their latest one much though, it seemed like they were trying to go back to the Imaginary Sonicscape experimental stuff without fully pulling it off. I sorta liked how they had songs that sounded distinctly like certain past albums of theirs.

That said I listened to uneXpect the other day and man I had weird taste. There was that period of my life where I would automatically listen to things that were on The End Records (SIGH used to be, along with Unexpect and that sort of band) and I took a look the other day and now suddenly they're the record label for Prodigy and Fatboy Slim

Edit:

Ok this is weirder than I thought, they're the record label for electronic acts but also Lordi, Danzig and Helloween. They used to be the label for Ulver, Agalloch, and at some point Darkthrone.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Oct 22, 2013

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

aliencowboy posted:

The new Skeletonwitch is pretty by-the-numbers Skeletonwitch but goddamn if the hook on Burned From Bone isn't the best thing ever.

It was cool the first time I listened to it, but I really haven't liked much they've done since Beyond the Permafrost. That album has so many catchy parts and things about each song that were memorable. Ever since then, they've just been suffering from Marduk Syndrome - nothing but fast riffs without a lot of substance.

Granted, they've had some glints of brilliance in each album, and there's a few things I like about the new album, but in general I just don't like it as much.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Spinal Pap posted:

I just listened to the new In Solitude. Holy poo poo! Their previous two albums felt a bit "whatever" to me but this one is amazing. There's even a Cortex-cover at the end. Top 3 for album of the year.

I agree. In Solitude have essentially come into their own. They can finally shed all of those initial Mercyful Fate comparisons and be recognized for the creative force they are. Easily a strong contender for AOTY for me.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
You can stream Skeletonwitch now http://pitchfork.com/advance/263-serpents-unleashed/

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
The new Skeletonwitch is their best yet and if you disagree you are bad at everything.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Defiant Sally posted:

The new Skeletonwitch is their best yet and if you disagree you are bad at everything.

The riffs on this album are loving tasty, particularly track 2 and 8. Good poo poo.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 22, 2016

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ok this is weirder than I thought, they're the record label for electronic acts but also Lordi, Danzig and Helloween. They used to be the label for Ulver, Agalloch, and at some point Darkthrone.
Look at Roadrunner two decades ago, before they signed Nickelback.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

QPZIL posted:

It was cool the first time I listened to it, but I really haven't liked much they've done since Beyond the Permafrost. That album has so many catchy parts and things about each song that were memorable. Ever since then, they've just been suffering from Marduk Syndrome - nothing but fast riffs without a lot of substance.

Granted, they've had some glints of brilliance in each album, and there's a few things I like about the new album, but in general I just don't like it as much.

This is how I feel about Doomriders as well. The band is still great, and what I've heard from the new album is pretty good, but their first album (and that split they did with Boris) is just sooooooooo good.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

QPZIL posted:

My thoughts exactly. I was really into SW when Permafrost came out, now I don't even listen to them anymore.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Loving the new Red Fang and Skeletonwitch, new Hail of Bullets is pretty good too if you want some Boltthrower ripoff stuff

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Nordick posted:

The two first albums were quite meh, but Suicide By My Side is actually pretty drat solid, despite the lovely emo title. Goss does have way more balls than 3 average male power metal singers put together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS7VP4EBAB8

I love the visuals for this. Really gets you going.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

QPZIL posted:

I haven't listened to the new one or Forever Abomination but this thread's hard-on for them is really weird to me. I enjoyed Beyond the Permafrost and Breathing the Fire but goddamn if they aren't one of the most one-note bands ever.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
I don't get the skeletonwitch obsession in here either. They're fine but they've never done that much for me

Toxic Holocaust's new album is pretty good, way better than their last one, even if it still doesn't measure up to what Joel Grind was doing when it was just him doing everything.

I hope more Yellowgoat poo poo happens. That guy gets old school black metal better than most

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I love the visuals for this. Really gets you going.
I assume you mean the one Misogynist linked. Mine just has the album cover, his was.... quite interesting.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Morbid Florist posted:

I don't get the skeletonwitch obsession in here either. They're fine but they've never done that much for me

I think this is the first time we have agreed.

Just seems like more new thrash revival. Nothing new or interesting.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Looks like Pig Destroyer just got a bass player.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
For a second I thought they just handed the noise guy a bass so he'd have something to do on stage beside drink beer and press a button on the sampler every few minutes.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

comes along bort posted:

For a second I thought they just handed the noise guy a bass so he'd have something to do on stage beside drink beer and press a button on the sampler every few minutes.

Its awesome that that's literally what he does when they play live.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

comes along bort posted:

He actually did play bass on the Mass And Volume EP. But yeah, that's his thing. Good work if you can get it, I guess.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
They should have him do some interpretive dance or something.

All they need to do now is make good on Dave Witte's offer to play drums for Agoraphobic Nosebleed and tour that material.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
This is definitely metal hell territory, but if you want more retro-cheese that you can still rock out to... Cauldron owns. I've just had them on repeat at work lately.

e:

quote:

Sadly nope! I've googled high and low but it looks like Leonna Aho hasn't done anything since. Maybe Battlelore will be close enough female vocals wise, it's still power metal but quite different than Imperanon.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 23, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

New Toxic Holocaust is ok, but every song sounds the exact same. Silence is the only standout track for me.

e: On the other hand, the new Death Angel shreds.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 23, 2013

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

First three were pretty solid to me but the album before this new one kinda just melded together and sounded the same. Haven't listen to the new one yet but it sounds like it has the same problem.

Maybe we should be careful what we wish for when we want a band to keep their original sound. When they don't grow or at least try something new, their songs seem to sound all the same. Kinda like Obituary or AC/DC.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Killsion posted:

I think this is the first time we have agreed.

Just seems like more new thrash revival. Nothing new or interesting.

Eh, maybe it's just more thrash revival, but to my ears it's one of the finer examples of that. And since I am kind of old and first started listening to metal during the original thrash years, more thrash is a good and worthy thing for me.

That said, it's still mostly the first album I find memorable. All of it is fine workout music though.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If I get to choose between no new thrash metal vs bands putting out their take on the genre, I'll take the latter. It's good to have that music out there from good bands like Skeletonwitch, Gama Bomb, Warbringer, Municipal Waste, etc etc. It's better than the umpteenth loving "WE'RE VIKINGS AND WARRIORS" poo poo that's been drolled out the past 13+ years.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I mean, I like all of those bands (especially Warbringer for some reason), but there's just so many more interesting things going on in the metal scene right now than Skeletonwitch and such a drastic drop in quality between thrash of the late 80s and now.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

I mean, I like all of those bands (especially Warbringer for some reason), but there's just so many more interesting things going on in the metal scene right now than Skeletonwitch and such a drastic drop in quality between thrash of the late 80s and now.
Yeah, I hear this all the time when people talk about all the popular thrash bands nowadays, but we've had a lot of stuff in the last decade that was every bit as good as the stuff from the 80s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fz5SNKWCuM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDhMCI0IZUI

But yeah, wading through all the complete poo poo to find half a dozen decent bands can be a really tiresome exercise. Everyone wants to be Artillery with boring vocals, or some lovely upper-middle-class white kid Overkill ripoff about beer and weed, and nobody's got the game to ape Paradox's Heresy or, you know, actually do something new. And maybe five of them could write a good hook to save themselves from nuclear disaster.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 24, 2013

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Haggins posted:

First three were pretty solid to me but the album before this new one kinda just melded together and sounded the same. Haven't listen to the new one yet but it sounds like it has the same problem.

Maybe we should be careful what we wish for when we want a band to keep their original sound. When they don't grow or at least try something new, their songs seem to sound all the same. Kinda like Obituary or AC/DC.

See I thought the same thing about the last one (assuming you're still talking about toxic holocaust) but this one I can definitely tell songs apart a few seconds in. I think they did a much better job this time. Maybe Joel Grind took over more of the writing like he should have once he brought in other people.

I have no problem with bands keeping the sound that got me into them in the first place. Progression is fine but most bands end up sucking when they try.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

so i just discovered that this loving thing exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JPGbFIjBOI

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
This is legit funny though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrX2DHysKOg

Feb 8, 2008
Can't go wrong with this version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJht9ct0104

And this is a great cover of a great song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P--E3Dta4q4

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Vintersorg posted:

If I get to choose between no new thrash metal vs bands putting out their take on the genre, I'll take the latter. It's good to have that music out there from good bands like Skeletonwitch, Gama Bomb, Warbringer, Municipal Waste, etc etc. It's better than the umpteenth loving "WE'RE VIKINGS AND WARRIORS" poo poo that's been drolled out the past 13+ years.

Yeah, Municipal Waste clones have only been sprouting up like weeds for the last 10 years. Pizza party wiffle thrash tends to be almost exclusively one-dimensional, taking the aggressive riffs and speed from old thrash bands, but completely abandoning the melody and feeling/atmosphere and anything other than rehashing one riffing style to a single point over and over. It seems like bands are confining themselves to play purely what they see as the thrashiest of thrash most of the time. Rethrash bands are so singularly boring that it even makes a band like Skeletonwitch stand out even if their music is boring.

Don't forget, you can also have rethrash about vikings and battles and poo poo from non-vikings in St. Louis that also uses intentionally misspells words. They must have formed under a very inconsequential alignment of planets or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQSSUngZ6zo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Morbid Florist posted:

I hope more Yellowgoat poo poo happens. That guy gets old school black metal better than most

I like the new Toxic Holocaust, but I feel this way too. More Yellowgoat please.