Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Cultural Imperial posted:

I think it's misunderstood that this thread is purely against home ownership. The majority of Bears in this thread are against financial profligacy.

Yeah, this can't be said enough. I'm offended by the normalization of extreme debt, the culture of ownership mania, and the high likelihood of being asked to chip in when the banks or CMHC goes tits up despite not participating in any of this... but if you want to buy property, and can afford to do so, go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm also not against home ownership at all. I won't be buying, personally, for another few years at least due to circumstances, but I'm definitely not against it.

etalian posted:

Is that in the special "high density" area of Abbotsford?
I'm not sure what you mean but most of Abbotsford is pretty normal density for a city of its size/location. There's the normal city part, then there's the farms on the outskirts.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Screw it all I'm gonna keep renting until I save up enough to make a good down payment on a cute house in the Annex and none of you Bears are gonna stop me.

I actually do want to live there though. Instead I live in an overpriced Burnaby skybox but at least I have the option of moving back home into a Bay St skybox my parents rent out. Which somehow is barely more expensive to rent than aforementioned Burnaby condo. Man screw real estate.

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

ocrumsprug posted:

Actually the thing I noticed was it knew exactly that 34.7% of the population makes at least $66,132. However what percentage makes at least $171,684... i dunno less than 32% or something.

The infographic helpfully explains that this is due to limitations in StatsCan's data.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Why is vancouver better?

The last time I was in downtown Toronto for a few days (which was like... 6 years ago or so) the air-quality was terrible; not exactly hazy, but definitely worse than back here in Van. Is it like that regularly?

The only time I remember the air-quality here being like that was when forest fires were going on somewhere up the Fraser.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Cmon man. Do you really judge the quality of a city by its air quality? I guess that means London, Paris, Hong Kong, Tokyo and Nyc will never be world class like vancouver.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Cmon man. Do you really judge the quality of a city by its air quality? I guess that means London, Paris, Hong Kong, Tokyo and Nyc will never be world class like vancouver.

Partially yes? Also I'm not seriously taking a crack at making such an argument because it will inevitably reduce to personal taste. I happen to think that Vancouver is a better city than Toronto (which was what you were replying to originally. I can't speak for Paris, Hong Kong, or Tokyo, as I've never been there, and the last time I was in NYC I was like 3 years old)

Does that aspect of the environment around you not matter to you at all?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
All of those major cities have worse air quality problems than Toronto. Also, what you're probably experiencing there is most likely the mixture of air pollution and humidity. Hot humid days are not really a Vancouver thing.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

JawKnee posted:

Partially yes? Also I'm not seriously taking a crack at making such an argument because it will inevitably reduce to personal taste. I happen to think that Vancouver is a better city than Toronto (which was what you were replying to originally. I can't speak for Paris, Hong Kong, or Tokyo, as I've never been there, and the last time I was in NYC I was like 3 years old)

Does that aspect of the environment around you not matter to you at all?

No it doesn't. Qualities like economy, transportation, infrastructure and proximity to other cities of comparable caliber rate far higher on my list. It just so happens that I've decided to settle (for the time being) in Vancouver because I (mostly) grew up here and my immediate family also resides here.

Living in Vancouver was like a stimulus death sentence until I picked up cycling and snowboarding.

As an aside, for a city that pumps out hundreds of BFA grads a year,and supposedly erudite patron of modern art with infinitely deep pockets Iike Bob Rennie and chip Wilson, vancouver has an absolutely pathetic arts scene. No really, it loving sucks rear end.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

No it doesn't. Qualities like economy, transportation, infrastructure and proximity to other cities of comparable caliber rate far higher on my list. It just so happens that I've decided to settle (for the time being) in Vancouver because I (mostly) grew up here and my immediate family also resides here.

Living in Vancouver was like a stimulus death sentence until I picked up cycling and snowboarding.

As an aside, for a city that pumps out hundreds of BFA grads a year,and supposedly erudite patron of modern art with infinitely deep pockets Iike Bob Rennie and chip Wilson, vancouver has an absolutely pathetic arts scene. No really, it loving sucks rear end.

Fair enough, while I agree with the sentiments that Vancouver's economy/infrastructure sucks (believe me, I'm not looking forward to the job market when I graduate from my second degree), I tend to like the transportation in the city proper if not outside of it (and I grew up in the suburbs so I understand the frustration with Translink there), and I don't much care about how close Vancouver is to other cities like it. I'm not too sure what you mean about it being a stimulus death - do you mean you lacked motivation to do things? What other cities have you lived in that have been better on this front?

Also, yeah the arts scene sucks here. I don't remember off hand the last time a band I liked scheduled a stop here. That being said, there are grass roots theatre scenes here that can be interesting if not particularly fecund.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I mean vancouver is boring as hell.

Proximity to other cities is a factor that's important when you're factoring in economy. Vancouver is located in a travellers hell as it takes forever to fly anywhere which matters.

Do you plan on sticking around in Vancouver when you graduate? If it's at all possible, you should take the opportunity to try living somewhere else while you're still relatively young. I wish I had done so earlier in life rather than waiting until my 20s were over. I am pretty sure my career would have progressed more quickly if I hadn't stayed in Vancouver so long.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Valuing a city by its air quality is a bit like valuing a countryside cottage town for the variety of its sushi restaurants. It's entirely the wrong metric... cities are valuable for their dynamism, their economic centrality, the availability of goods and services, the breadth of entertainment, etc. That all comes at a cost, usually, to air quality, for instance. Or personal space, etc.

NYC is an awesome city, but sure as hell not for its air quality.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
On the other hand, living in a city full of pollution has its limits.

quote:

Choking smog all but shut down one of northeastern China's largest cities on Monday, forcing schools to suspended classes, snarling traffic and closing the airport, in the country's first major air pollution crisis of the winter.

An index measuring PM2.5, or particulate matter with a diameter of 2.5 micrometers (PM2.5), reached a reading of 1,000 in some parts of Harbin, the gritty capital of northeastern Heilongjiang province and home to some 11 million people.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

On the other hand, living in a city full of pollution has its limits.

But the arts scene

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Clipperton posted:

But the arts scene

Look, I smoke pipes, cigars, and cigarettes whilst attending shows by bands you haven't even heard of, so what's a little air pollution going to do? That's what I thought.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://feedly.com/k/17b1zjv

Cameron Muir says that bc's housing market is going to keep rallying through 2014 at least.

Welp

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
So what's the systemic risk we've built into the system? I can't imagine a rise of even one or two points on the interest rate not bringing payments on certain mortgages down, but what is the real problem now? The government is intent on keeping rates low.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kafka Esq. posted:

So what's the systemic risk we've built into the system? I can't imagine a rise of even one or two points on the interest rate not bringing payments on certain mortgages down, but what is the real problem now? The government is intent on keeping rates low.

Banks finance their mortgage portfolio on the open bond market, and it is not pegged to the BoC rate. If bond rates increase, mortgages increase regardless of what the government intends.

That is why mortgage rates have increased by ~1% while the BoC rate is still sitting at effectively zero.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

http://feedly.com/k/17b1zjv

Cameron Muir says that bc's housing market is going to keep rallying through 2014 at least.

Welp

He may be correct, but he says it, predictably, irrespective of any reality. Vancouver could become a Baghdad-esque war-torn hellscape overnight, and his party line would be unchanged.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Somewhat off topic but it's somewhat interesting to see Canada getting used a film locations for new series such as Arrow(Vancouver) or Orphan Black(Toronto).

I guess it's mainly because the cities decided to fork over some tax credits to show off their glittery condos on the TV screen?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
That's been happening for ages, Vancouver especially.
I think our low dollar used to attract a lot of productions, less so now. Parts of the Hulk were filmed in Toronto, and BSG and X-Files were largely filmed in Vancouver.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Ottawa gets burned for trying to play with the big boys.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/canada/ottawa/story/1.2159075

Edit: Something about the guy who can't flip a condo unit being married to a real estate agent really tickles my funny bone. I guess they believe the hype.

brucio fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 23, 2013

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Damnit. Double post.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

spacemost posted:

That's been happening for ages though, Vancouver especially.
I think our low dollar used to attract a lot of productions, less so now. But parts of the Hulk were filmed in Toronto, and BSG and X-Files were largely filmed in Vancouver.

Fantastic 4 and X-Men movies were also filmed in Vancouver, also catwoman. Lots and lots of bad movies actually since any production looking to save a few bucks would eye the cheaper dollar in the north.

There was a big push to 'save the film industry' in BC this year or last year because Ontario deepened their tax cuts for filming I think and BC had not matched the cuts so productions were starting to move east.

The funniest moment for me with stuff filmed here was watching the movie The Delicate Art of Parking which was filmed in Toronto and Vancouver. There's a scene where the characters are driving along Expo Blvd in Vancouver and you could see Tinseltown theatre in the background, where I was happened to be watching the movie. Then the characters turn a corner and suddenly they are in Toronto. Very surreal.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I thought Uwe Boll was still based in Vancouver but it seems that he's in Ontario now? What is happening to the Best Place On Earth? :wth:

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Maybe he couldn't afford the housing prices in Vancouver :o:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

spacemost posted:

That's been happening for ages, Vancouver especially.
I think our low dollar used to attract a lot of productions, less so now. Parts of the Hulk were filmed in Toronto, and BSG and X-Files were largely filmed in Vancouver.

Even better for only 4300 a month:
http://io9.com/5725647/rent-out-gaius-baltars-vancouver-apartment

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That's actually a really good deal for over 4000 sqft. All the 1000 sqft's I've looked at are 1200-1500. Rents seem to go way down per sqft the bigger it gets.

Like a bachelor will be 600, a 500sqft 1br will be 800, a 1000 sqft 2br will be 1200, yet a 2000sqft house is like 2000.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

That's actually a really good deal for over 4000 sqft. All the 1000 sqft's I've looked at are 1200-1500. Rents seem to go way down per sqft the bigger it gets.

Like a bachelor will be 600, a 500sqft 1br will be 800, a 1000 sqft 2br will be 1200, yet a 2000sqft house is like 2000.

This is because a lot of the most expensive things in any apartment or house exist in basically the same form whether it's a tiny bachelor or a huge house. My intuition is that the kitchen is far and away the most expensive room in any dwelling, and there's only ever one of those in 99% of dwellings. Even if there's a separate wet bar or something, it probably won't have a range and a dishwasher and whatnot. Space itself is not terribly expensive in comparison.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

PT6A posted:

This is because a lot of the most expensive things in any apartment or house exist in basically the same form whether it's a tiny bachelor or a huge house. My intuition is that the kitchen is far and away the most expensive room in any dwelling, and there's only ever one of those in 99% of dwellings. Even if there's a separate wet bar or something, it probably won't have a range and a dishwasher and whatnot. Space itself is not terribly expensive in comparison.

I posit that it's nothing to do with the relative expense of dwelling size, and everything to do with the actual market of people willing to pay $X for rent at a given price tier.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
My parents have a wealthy friend who bought a house in Lions Bay around 2007. He uses it as a second home in order to satisfy some sort of UK tax avoidance requirement. From what I understand, he loved living there until he realized its isolated as gently caress. He also loves Chinese cuisine and bought another home in Richmond to be closer to the restaurants.

His house in Lions bay has been on the market for over a year now and he can't even get people to view it.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

brucio posted:

]

Ottawa gets burned for trying to play with the big boys.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/canada/ottawa/story/1.2159075

Edit: Something about the guy who can't flip a condo unit being married to a real estate agent really tickles my funny bone. I guess they believe the hype.

Well, this quote from the article is horrifying:

TFA posted:

The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) said the market should turn around by next spring if people buy up in anticipation of interest rates edging up.

"All these first-time home buyers who are taking their time will probably jump in the market by then. Then the market will start rolling again," said Sandra Perez Torres, a senior CMHC market analyst.

I really, really, really hope they have better internal analyses than that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Holy gently caress that quote. Really? Like, I'd expect that from some onion-esq canadian satire site.

Fear will keep the local home buyers in order, fear of this battlestation rising interest rate!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Have you met anyone who worked in government? It's appalling how loving dumb civil servants are.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Have you met anyone who worked in government? It's appalling how loving dumb civil servants are.

:munch:

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Oh, like I'm going to respond to that idiot.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Hmm this is wrong. Private sector is just as bad, or worse.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
If you're talking about the worker bees, I'd agree with you. They're just as bad in the private sector. On the other hand, if you think fuckwits like Judy Rogers or penny ballem could ever find gainful employment in the private sector, you're dead wrong.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wonder if we'll ever have any meaningful metric of studying the whole "public employees are dumb! They'd never make it in the PRIVATE world!" or if it will forever be anecdotes selected based on ideological bias forever and ever.

I've known many people from worker bees to management to CEO's and Ministers that were both inspiringly competent to shamefully incompetent dead-weight. I've seen awful employees keep their jobs due to connections or politics in both the private and public sectors. Honestly I've seen a little more of the bad in the public sector, but only by a little bit. It's pretty even and is just an awful thing humans trying to run huge powerful organizations with fall into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Health Services posted:

Well, this quote from the article is horrifying:

I really, really, really hope they have better internal analyses than that.

Not to disparage public employees, but what exactly does a market analyst do for the CMHC anyways?

Please, please, please let it be providing forecasting information to the finance department. And not as that quote sounds, shill for the real estate boards.