Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
That first picture makes you kinda look like Ben Affleck, so my vote is for Affleck Batman, complete with awful fake BrooklynAffleck accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Yeah, you could do the Ben Affleck thing.

You look a bit like a younger William Dafoe, maybe go as one of his characters?

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

a grey-green flight suit

You could do a Ferris Air flight suit Hal Jordan. Just need a Green Lantern mask... Heck you could even get away without that, but non-nerdy people might not get it.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

couldcareless posted:

That first picture makes you kinda look like Ben Affleck, so my vote is for Affleck Batman, complete with awful fake BrooklynAffleck accent.

Thanks! And actually, with a half-rear end cape, the under armor I have would be a good batsuit base.

Mister Roboto posted:

Yeah, you could do the Ben Affleck thing.

I can't really think of one of his characters that people would immediately recognize, other than Green Goblin. Hmm.

Killer_Frost posted:

You could do a Ferris Air flight suit Hal Jordan. Just need a Green Lantern mask... Heck you could even get away without that, but non-nerdy people might not get it.

Yeah, might be too obscure, but my friends might actually know that no problem. I'm gonna give this costume some more thought, but we'll see: I have a exam and a major group presentation this week, and my groupmates are not pulling their weight, so I'm a touch distracted. Hopefully I have an idea a week from now.

Thanks folks.

Mecha Neko
Mar 16, 2011
I've recently completed a Halloween costume for a friend that has never had one before. (O_O)

The character is Scorpion from Mortal Kombat: Armageddon (reference image: http://stuffpoint.com/mortal-kombat/image/124933/mortal-kombat-armageddon-scorpion-wallpaper/)

Mask:

Vest:

Back:

Belt:

Bracers:

Shin guards:

Sort of assembled (ignore the towel and the red tee shirt, I couldn't find a plain black shirt to put on my DIY dress form):

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Wow. Great progress pictures. I bet your friend is psyched!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
That Scorpion looks awesome! I love the paint job.

I haven't posted anything in a million years but I'll try to get some progress shots this weekend. I'm working on a worbla set of Warhammer Fantasy armor that I designed, hopefully have it mostly finished (enough to wear, at least) for Daisho Con in November.

So far the big hip plates are mostly done and I'm tackling the breastplate this weekend!

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Mister Roboto posted:

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

I can't really think of one of his characters that people would immediately recognize, other than Green Goblin. Hmm.

Smecker from the final act of The Boondock Saints?

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
What kind of fiberglass am I looking for if I want to use Bondo? I've heard I should put a layer of fiberglass between the cardboard and Bondo to keep it from cracking or being too stiff, but I'm not sure what exactly I am supposed to be shopping for. If I could get a brand recommendation / a good place to buy it, that would be even better!

Also, what do you guys usually use to mold small details onto things? Is there some kind of specific craft putty or something?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Full Fathoms Five posted:

Also, what do you guys usually use to mold small details onto things? Is there some kind of specific craft putty or something?

Do you mean like a modelling clay that sets hard? Apoxie Sculpt and Milliput are popular, they're both two part putties that you mix together which then set hard in a few hours

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013

Fatkraken posted:

Do you mean like a modelling clay that sets hard? Apoxie Sculpt and Milliput are popular, they're both two part putties that you mix together which then set hard in a few hours

I guess so. I'm looking for something to sculpt tiny details on top of Bondo and such, so I do want it to set hard, but I'm not looking for anything brittle since it will be a piece of the costume. I mean I don't expect it to be indestructible of course, but I don't want anything that will just crack or fall off if it bumps into something.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

What kind of fiberglass am I looking for if I want to use Bondo? I've heard I should put a layer of fiberglass between the cardboard and Bondo to keep it from cracking or being too stiff, but I'm not sure what exactly I am supposed to be shopping for. If I could get a brand recommendation / a good place to buy it, that would be even better!

What are you aiming to make with the Bondo? I generally avoid wearing it in any great quantity because it's really, REALLY heavy. Like I herniated a disc in my back from wearing a jetpack with too much Bondo on it heavy.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013

McPantserton posted:

What are you aiming to make with the Bondo? I generally avoid wearing it in any great quantity because it's really, REALLY heavy. Like I herniated a disc in my back from wearing a jetpack with too much Bondo on it heavy.

Making a helmet right now, and I'll probably use it to coat smaller cardboard armor pieces and stuff. Not making an entire costume out of it or anything.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
So all the sites suggested above have no white contacts; can anyone please suggest a different option?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Making a helmet right now, and I'll probably use it to coat smaller cardboard armor pieces and stuff. Not making an entire costume out of it or anything.

Cool, that doesn't sound too bad but I still recommend trying it out before wearing it for long periods of time. I feel like I sound like the oldest old but I honestly hurt myself kind of a lot with a piece that was just a bit too heavy and I had to do physical therapy and all. I'm finally 90% recovered like 2 years later and life is too short to have a hosed up arm/head/whatever because of the demon bondo!

In less boring safety news, heads up, Arda Wigs (arda-wigs.com) is having a 15% off sale through midnight tomorrow, use coupon code Halloween! I personally love their wigs (except their ponytail wigs, which I hate) so I used the chance to grab the wig for my Khorne costume and my husband's wig for an upcoming Valkyria Chronicles group we're working on. I always want to buy random cute wigs that I just like the look of, must resist...

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

The majority of people who use pepakura and bondo to make (good) helmets don't actually wear them. They use them as masters to make molds and cast lightweight copies from resin, and wear THOSE. It's very expensive, but gives a much stronger, lighter and more wearable result.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013

Fatkraken posted:

The majority of people who use pepakura and bondo to make (good) helmets don't actually wear them. They use them as masters to make molds and cast lightweight copies from resin, and wear THOSE. It's very expensive, but gives a much stronger, lighter and more wearable result.

Ah, that would explain it I suppose. Is there a tutorial anywhere (preferably with photos) on what to do after I've build a master with bondo?

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
Trying to put together Octodad from Dadliest Catch together in a week for my husband so far so good hopefully I can get the stuff for the eyes attached and start painting tomorrow.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
My wife and I were thinking of doing a Jax/Tara costume. Has anyone seen any Sons of Anarchy cosplay, and if so how do they handle the fact that wearing a three piece patch in public even for a fictional club is generally considered a bad idea? Do they go all out and just take it off when not on the convention floor? Or do they leave off the rockers, rank, and 'MC' patches completely (basically just leaving the center back patch and maybe the collar patches)?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Germstore posted:

My wife and I were thinking of doing a Jax/Tara costume. Has anyone seen any Sons of Anarchy cosplay, and if so how do they handle the fact that wearing a three piece patch in public even for a fictional club is generally considered a bad idea? Do they go all out and just take it off when not on the convention floor? Or do they leave off the rockers, rank, and 'MC' patches completely (basically just leaving the center back patch and maybe the collar patches)?

I think it's one of those things you just don't cosplay.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Mister Roboto posted:

Does anyone have any company recommendations for white or as close-to-white contact lenses? If I wanted to go as Sagat, for example, like this cosplayer here:

I know it's really hard to go full-white, but she does an interesting job of making them look opaque.

Is there a good contact lens company that people recommend?

That cosplayer (Miss Sinister) uses http://www.samhaincontactlenses.com lenses from this site. They have a lot of nice lenses but they aren't cheap!

I have a question of my own! Does anyone make their own boot covers? If so, is there a handy tutorial you can link me to? I'm needing to make three or four sets of pirate boot covers, one in my size and the others in my kids sizes.

My nearly complete costume:

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

hollylolly posted:

Does anyone make their own boot covers? If so, is there a handy tutorial you can link me to?

I haven't used it but a friend swears by this one.
http://firelilycosplay.deviantart.com/art/No-Stretch-Boot-Cover-Tutorial-161626176?q=gallery%3Acosmakers%2F25229903&qo=13

Good luck with the family boots! :)

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Thanks hollylolly!

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I'm looking into making a really nice hidden blade replica from Assassin's creed. I want to be able to extend the blades and retract them using the same wrist/finger motion they use in the games. I've seen some pretty nice ones on youtube videos, but I'm having difficulties finding useful plans on how to build them. I'm a newbie to constructing things like this, and I obviously don't want to use real metal for the blades themselves, as that's a fantastic way to lose a finger, or seriously hurt someone. What I would love more than anything is a set of detailed plans including sources to purchase the parts from, or scavenge neessary parts from, as well as part numbers.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
Hey! So I posted this in the Halloween thread and got no responses, but this is probably a better thread for the question.

Does anyone know if it's ok to paint latex costume prosthetics with Kryolan aquacolor? I've read that certain greases will destroy the latex over time. But I figure if I'm using the same paint on the prosthetic as on my face the color match will be a lot better. And easier.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

kizudarake posted:

I'm looking into making a really nice hidden blade replica from Assassin's creed. I want to be able to extend the blades and retract them using the same wrist/finger motion they use in the games. I've seen some pretty nice ones on youtube videos, but I'm having difficulties finding useful plans on how to build them. I'm a newbie to constructing things like this, and I obviously don't want to use real metal for the blades themselves, as that's a fantastic way to lose a finger, or seriously hurt someone. What I would love more than anything is a set of detailed plans including sources to purchase the parts from, or scavenge necessary parts from, as well as part numbers.

I can't give you serial numbers, but a 10 or 12 inch self-closing drawer slide would probably work. They shouldn't be too hard to find at most hardware stores. If you yank on it hard enough when it's open or closed, and it will snap into position, so all it would take is a bracer to put it in, a fake blade to attach to it, a ring with some strong string, and a good flick of the wrist. This will also mean that if you try to stab anything with them, they'll just close, so there's that.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
Alright so progress so far...

Before latex and mustache.

Roughly where I am now with it.

But what expression do I give him??

Haberdashster
Jul 29, 2008
I'm putting together my Ice King costume and I have a crown I got off Etsy. The problem is that the crown is made from felt and stuffing, so it's collapsable. I wanted to put something around the inner circle to make it more rigid. I bent some clothes hanger wire to help it keep its shape, but it keeps falling apart. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to make the crown rigid. Thanks!

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Haberdashster posted:

I'm putting together my Ice King costume and I have a crown I got off Etsy. The problem is that the crown is made from felt and stuffing, so it's collapsable. I wanted to put something around the inner circle to make it more rigid. I bent some clothes hanger wire to help it keep its shape, but it keeps falling apart. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to make the crown rigid. Thanks!

get some sew in boning? You can get it at any fabric store.

http://www.amazon.com/Rigilene-Poly...s=sew+in+boning

Haberdashster
Jul 29, 2008

Funhilde posted:

get some sew in boning? You can get it at any fabric store.

http://www.amazon.com/Rigilene-Poly...s=sew+in+boning

Wow! Thank you so much!

Mobius 1
Aug 29, 2004
Sierra Hotel!

cloudy posted:

Hey! So I posted this in the Halloween thread and got no responses, but this is probably a better thread for the question.

Does anyone know if it's ok to paint latex costume prosthetics with Kryolan aquacolor? I've read that certain greases will destroy the latex over time. But I figure if I'm using the same paint on the prosthetic as on my face the color match will be a lot better. And easier.

Any water based makeup will work with your latex prosthetic. Just make sure that when you are done with the pieces, that you wash the makeup off of them and store them properly.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
Thank you, Mobius! That makes things much easier!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'll be giving a Link cosplay a shot, but without the wig because fuuuck that.

My question is about the shield - specifically, what's a good way to attach it to Link's back? Does it just hang off his scabbard or something?

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
One of those cheap, not-actually-used-for-climbing carabiner-style keychains might work.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Is this thread also for Halloween costumes?

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
Do I need a lot of ventilation and a mask / goggles when applying Bondo, or just sanding it?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Do I need a lot of ventilation and a mask / goggles when applying Bondo, or just sanding it?

I don't believe a mask and goggles are required for application according to the can but have as good ventilation as you can muster. That poo poo is utterly rank and the smell hangs around for a bit.

leg bones
Jan 14, 2011

co-dependent villain

hollylolly posted:

I have a question of my own! Does anyone make their own boot covers? If so, is there a handy tutorial you can link me to? I'm needing to make three or four sets of pirate boot covers, one in my size and the others in my kids sizes.

My nearly complete costume:

Hollylolly, I did my own boot covers for my Jack Sparrow cosplay a few pages back. Real leather, held with Barge Glue!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Those are totally awesome. I knocked together some terrible ones last night out of pleather that will suffice for now. I don't have any good base shoes, so had to work with what I had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I tried doing something simple for a local comic con this year. I think my lack of Hellboy accompaniment blew it for me, cause this is the only picture that exists.

Nobody recognized me, and I couldn't pay the goony fucks with professional cameras to take my picture.

I guess I went to niche... Oh god, is Hellboy really niche, or do people only recognize goth movie Liz? In any case, I learned I absolutely hate wearing wigs. This makes my future options difficult.