Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

If you want to be a game artist then go to Dundee, not China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Oh sure go to Dundee, develop a crack habit and subsist on fried confectionery, or go to Chengdu and stay rent free in a nice apartment, have lovely Szechuan food everyday and spend your weekends petting pandas...

To be honest if you can bum around Sichuan for a few months after graduating then you may as well do it. Learning a bit of Chinese would be a bonus.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
There aren't really actually nice apartments in China. It's all literal facade that will peel in a year or two due to humidity. Sichuan food is bad but at least it numbs your tongue so you can't taste it anymore after a few bites. Pandas are vicious and will maul you.

Dundee has crack, fried food and lots of Chinese people anyway so I think it wins in my book.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Bloodnose posted:

Dundee has crack, fried food and lots of Chinese people anyway so I think it wins in my book.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Magna Kaser posted:

He typoed and means meter.

That I most surely did not, you Imperialist scum.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Meter? I hardly knew her! :downsrim:

Made my very first baozi this morning. gently caress I missed that stuff, this is going to be my breakfast forever now.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

goldboilermark posted:

I wrote an entire post for you on this page or the previous page explaining exactly why my visa plan was perfect for you. Did you not read it?

Thanks for this golboilermark, I've looked into and yes learning chinese for 15 hours a week sounds relatively good on a X visa and generally doing my own thing is preferable. The only thing I can't find out is would it be legal for me to have a job on a X?

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Facepalm Ranger posted:

The only thing I can't find out is would it be legal for me to have a job on a X?

Not the kind of job you don't want.

Farting about tutoring, technically no as well, but nobody is going to give a rat's rear end. Just stay out of training centers and other organizations and you should be fine.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

GuestBob posted:

Not the kind of job you don't want.

Farting about tutoring, technically no as well, but nobody is going to give a rat's rear end. Just stay out of training centers and other organizations and you should be fine.

Oh aye I know, I just mean something like bar work or what ever to tide me over if I need the cash. So on an X visa it's illegal for me to work? I've looked at the sites and there's no real statement saying one or the other

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

You won't legally be able to work at a bar. I'm pretty sure you legally can't work in China at all on a student visa.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
You can, but it seems like an annoying bureaucratic process (more PSB time) and your legal limit is 8 hours per week. No sane company wants someone for just 8 hours a week. I think it's basically a way to get foreigners to do stuff for university departments.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

The only time you're allowed to work on an X visa is if your university OKs it and it's an internship. The catch is this will never happen for language students and is pretty much only for a small number of foreigners doing graduate programs at Chinese universities.

I did an internship last year that my uni and adviser signed off on. there might be weird things about remuneration on these internships but my advisor didn't ask and I didn't say anything.

technically you're only allowed to get money from within China on a Z/working RP. There are some legal loopholes around this but they're all beyond the scope of an English training center.

That said, as everyone else pointed out you won't get caught for tutoring.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Z visas are employer-specific, right? If I were to find somewhere that wasn't Harbin, city of death air, to work, I'd have to get a new visa and such, wouldn't I?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Ceciltron posted:

Z visas are employer-specific, right? If I were to find somewhere that wasn't Harbin, city of death air, to work, I'd have to get a new visa and such, wouldn't I?

Yes. There is/was such a thing as transferring Zvisas but that still required a new company's paperwork to be in the system.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I had a phone interview this morning. It lasted about 2 minutes before she started asking about visas and said she couldn't get me a Z visa but could get me an F visa and I hung up on her.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Magna Kaser posted:

The only time you're allowed to work on an X visa is if your university OKs it and it's an internship. The catch is this will never happen for language students and is pretty much only for a small number of foreigners doing graduate programs at Chinese universities.

I did an internship last year that my uni and adviser signed off on. there might be weird things about remuneration on these internships but my advisor didn't ask and I didn't say anything.

technically you're only allowed to get money from within China on a Z/working RP. There are some legal loopholes around this but they're all beyond the scope of an English training center.

That said, as everyone else pointed out you won't get caught for tutoring.

Just been chatting with my girlfriend, how difficult would it be to do something like this:

Get a tourist visa (this last 180 days right), chill out for a while get settled then looks for cheap universities that teach Chinese. Get a visa swap from a tourist to a student and boom boom! Comfortable in china!

Would this be difficult?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Just been chatting with my girlfriend, how difficult would it be to do something like this:

Get a tourist visa (this last 180 days right), chill out for a while get settled then looks for cheap universities that teach Chinese. Get a visa swap from a tourist to a student and boom boom! Comfortable in china!

Would this be difficult?

Multi-entry tourist visa may be valid for 6 or 12 months depending on which one you get. However, length of stay is only 30 days. So you'll have to cross the border somewhere once a month.

Dude, these guys know what they're talking about. The student visa is the easiest way to get a long-term visa. I'm also not too sure about getting that student visa in-country.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 22, 2013

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Would this be difficult?

Oh this is going to end well, I can see it all unfolding.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

A visa swap will likely involve you leaving the country and going through the whole process of getting a new visa as if you never had the tourist visa to begin with.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

MeramJert posted:

A visa swap will likely involve you leaving the country and going through the whole process of getting a new visa as if you never had the tourist visa to begin with.

You could go visit caberham if you want your visa denied!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Don't ask Chinese people about laws and processes regarding visas and immigration unless they have a specific reason to be knowledgeable about this stuff (like if it's related to their job). After all, they don't have to deal with any of it so most of them can't really offer any help or guidance and are probably just guessing.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

MeramJert posted:

Don't ask Chinese people about laws and processes regarding visas and immigration unless they have a specific reason to be knowledgeable about this stuff (like if it's related to their job). After all, they don't have to deal with any of it so most of them can't really offer any help or guidance and are probably just guessing.

This. Even the people that often work in the foreign affairs departments don't have any idea about this stuff most of the time.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".
All that dumpling soup, local brewerie, rooftop bar talk is getting me excited for my trip to Beijing -> Shanghai -> Kunshan !

I just got my Visa and will be in Beijing from Nov 17th till Nov 22 then Shanghai from Nov 22 to Nov 26 then Kunshan until Dec 2nd if any of you guys are doing stuff let me know :)

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

gwrtheyrn posted:

You could go visit caberham if you want your visa denied!

It's funny because it's true!

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~

tacoman165 posted:

It's funny because it's true!

What are the chances of getting denied a Z when you're switching from one Z to another? We were going to switch over the summer from the sweet comfort of 'Merica but didn't because our original contract got extended. Still, we're probably going to need to switch again due to stuff on our American side of uni (joint stuff between Chinese and US universities is a hot mess, btw) in January. We have to be in Hong Kong for a week then anyway for work, so I figured it wouldn't be a big deal. Now I'm a little worried. :saddowns:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
My company is swapping two people now on Z visas and it is only a problem if one of the companies acts like a petulant five year old typical face-losing adult Chinese person.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

goldboilermark posted:

My company is swapping two people now on Z visas and it is only a problem if one of the companies acts like a petulant five year old typical face-losing adult Chinese person.

Yeah, that shouldn't be an issue at all--it's stuff changing on the US side. If I'm understanding things correctly, our office will submit the new paperwork and we'll be issued a new foreign experts certificate-thing, and then we turn in all of our paperwork/passport again at the consulate in Hong Kong? (Assuming that if the gov issues the certificate, it will issue our new visa.) Then we just go and re-register for our residence permit?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

blinkyzero posted:

Yeah, that shouldn't be an issue at all--it's stuff changing on the US side. If I'm understanding things correctly, our office will submit the new paperwork and we'll be issued a new foreign experts certificate-thing, and then we turn in all of our paperwork/passport again at the consulate in Hong Kong? (Assuming that if the gov issues the certificate, it will issue our new visa.) Then we just go and re-register for our residence permit?

In my experience, if you already have a residency permit changing jobs isn't hard. I didn't need to leave China at all.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

SB35 posted:

In my experience, if you already have a residency permit changing jobs isn't hard. I didn't need to leave China at all.

You shouldn't need to leave China - the FEC is renewed/extended/re-issued under the new contract dates and this, possibly along with a new medical check depending on the province, is supplied to the PSB. They then issue a new RP.

There is no need for a new visa of any kind either when changing jobs or staying on for another year.

Unless the office responsible fucks this up somehow.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
As SB and GuestBob said, you don't need to leave China to get new ones. It is all done internally.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Every year when I renew I get a new residence visa, but I don't need to leave China to do it. It's still a new visa, though.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Guys I think we need another post about how if you get a new residence permit, you don't need to leave China for it.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

FearCotton posted:

Now I'm a little worried. :saddowns:

Don't be silly! Hong Kong will be awesome! I like to imagine that caberham's Hangout paradise is like that scene with pigs in Spirited Away. If you actually have a real job (aka Residence Permit) then you are good enough for work. If you don't, well stay in Hong Kong! Eat, drink, be merry and grow into a fat capitalist pig. Everyone just silently gawks at you as you stuff your self silly with all-you-can-eat-steak-sandwiches, eat sushi, and you fly off to somewhere else.

As long as you are coming to HK on company dime then it's all good :toot: But please oh please book your own travel arrangements and don't rely on some random handler/secretary who knows more about celebrity gossip instead instea of I don't know... flying . MY GIRLFRIEND'S company secretary is a loving idiot. Relied everything on last minute Telegraphic transfer to pay for hotels and flights, paid 6,000 RMB for a round trip HKG--> Beijing flight per person, etc.

I think MeramJert's had a similar situation as well.

But you guys are a smart bunch, having chaperoning mainland kids in USA, I'm sure you guys know how to deal with travel arrangements and all.

BadAstronaut posted:

Guys I think we need another post about how if you get a new residence permit, you don't need to leave China for it.

SB35, please write another post! Every other goon is being lazy again. People still ask "WHERE SHOULD I STAY IN CHINA?" :arrgh: Someone please write more "My goon city"

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

caberham posted:

SB35, please write another post! Every other goon is being lazy again. People still ask "WHERE SHOULD I STAY IN CHINA?" :arrgh: Someone please write more "My goon city"

And a trip report on butter purchasing, please.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So, tickets booked, I'm heading to Shanghai, this time I'm going to be more organized

Shanghai goon meet November 15. Make it happen~~~ Lurkers come out! No let's meet at a proper Shanghai restaurant, that way the non drinkers can come out.

More details will follow~~~~

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

caberham posted:

let's meet at a proper Shanghai restaurant, that way the non drinkers can come out.

That's literally what we did last time, and still the non-drinkers would not accompany us. We'll find something that works for everyone - because, crazy as it sounds, some places serve both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

caberham posted:

I think MeramJert's had a similar situation as well.

Yeah but when this sort of thing happened to me, it was because I was being deported from China and I was stuck in Hong Kong without easy internet or phone access and less than 1 day notice to arrange everything. It was kind of a one off situation (hopefully!)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

BadAstronaut posted:

That's literally what we did last time, and still the non-drinkers would not accompany us. We'll find something that works for everyone - because, crazy as it sounds, some places serve both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.

:negative:

Forget it, go wherever you guys want! I want to drink some Huangjiu, I will bring some from the airport duty free.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

blinkyzero posted:

drat it, woman! Get off my Skyrim hugbox!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is there a mod that lets you hug in Skyrim? One of my daughters has a bugged inventory and I can't give her presents. Urgent please help.