Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Tyrannosaurus posted:

If you aren't fighting Azathoth (because you can't fight the Destroyer) don't you fight the Great Old One at an easier difficulty?

As long as it wakes up, it wakes up at full doom track (HP, for anyone not familiar). It can be useful against some GOOs, like Hastur since he gets harder with time, but unless your group is prepared that's basically just game over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tyrannosaurus posted:

If you aren't fighting Azathoth (because you can't fight the Destroyer) don't you fight the Great Old One at an easier difficulty?

The spell is Call Ancient One.

In the sense that they have fewer Doom Tokens, yes, they are easier to fight. But the reality of the situation is that if you're going to fight an Ancient One in AH, you're either more or less ready to fight him or you're not. The subset of areas where that spell is useful is VERY small. You need pretty much all of the following:

1) A fightable Ancient One. This isn't just Azathoth, who immediately ends the game. Cthulhu is pretty unfightable, and Quachil Uttaus is a hilarious gently caress no to fight. On the opposite end of the spectrum, you have a couple of real chumps like Yig who are already so fragile that there's no difference between waking them up early and just letting him wake up on his own.
2) A team that's ready to fight the AO early. This is also usually not something that happens. To be 'ready', you typically need to be Blessed and have a decent supply of both mundane and magical weapons. This requires a lot of money, which is fairly hard to come by except for a few specific Investigators (for the weapons), and a substantial number of dead monsters and closed Gates (for the blessings). If you're doing that well on these two fronts, you probably have a good line on winning the game normally. It's not guaranteed though.
3) The equipment to cast the spell itself. To get any real benefit out of it you're needing to cast this with at least a -5 modifier, and take 5 Sanity damage. Well the most powerful spellcasters in the game max out at 5 dice to roll on casting spells, and 7 Sanity points. So unless you fancy your ability to survive a fight with the Ancient One at 2 or less Sanity it's probably a bad idea. And you need substantial help to even cast the spell, because to roll a success you need to roll a 5 or 6 on a die. Unless you fancy your ability to do that on 1-2 dice you're going to need some serious help. There are a few Investigators who break this mold but you randomly draft your Investigators in AH so there's no guarantee they'll have ever been available.

The situation where you would have all of these things, but not be ready to either win the game normally or just let the AO wake up to fight him normally is very, very difficult to imagine.

You could totally use it at a -0 to troll the poo poo out of your friends, though I imagine you're just going to get punched in the dick or dick analog for this.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 22, 2013

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zaodai posted:

That's how he got his big red title, incidentally. He refused to use one of the summoner abilities in league (Ignite, if I recall) claiming it was overpowered and/or cheating, then would go on to make a ton of posts in the League thread about how bullshit it was and how he only ever lost because of that one spell and he was so much better than other people for not using it.

Good times.

Ehh I never said it was cheating. I just think that the summoner abilities in the game are silly and make the game less fun. People who take LoL super seriously got mega offended and I ended up with the red title.

Its OK though, I'm used to that kind of attitude in threads that have majority opinions.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Back on topic...

There were some interesting options in Worms 2. It was the game that introduced the definitive look, it hasn't changed much since. It also introduced some new mechanics and tightened up old ones, which led to some interesting options...

The best actual grief is when you manage to escape the map. Usually this kills you, as off the map is deadly water, but you didn't actually die until you hit it, as you could also go off the top of the map, and come back down safely.
'Cavern' maps forbade airstrikes, and had the top of the map blocked off by an indestructible hazard-tape strip.
By utilising a ninja rope, and swinging at /just/ the right angle towards the left or right edge, and putting backspin on your worm, you could leave the map, curl up and around and land safely on top of the indestructible boundary. Your weapons can't get down, but you can wait out the timer. When the game enters Sudden Death, the water rises each turn, and your highly defensible worm is the highest thing on the map.

Also, there was the Super-Prod. The prod usually does no damage, and knocks an enemy work a little. Both these things were customisable through the menu, and although the opponent uses the same weapons list, if they're not expecting it you can OHKO an enemy work in a way they weren't expecting.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Skuto posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/ccp/b/471606839

Go to 3:42:00, at which point The Mittani (Goonswarm leader) recounts the exact story. It were Russian allies. Don't gently caress with the Russians.

I love how he calls it "The Great War"

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

MadBimber posted:

It was. The BoB vs Goons conflict defined the game for years. The wars since then have shinier toys and bigger ships and more players involved, but nothing like the long, drawn out meatgrinder of hatred and spite that was The Great War.

Iriquois
Jun 6, 2013

Avulsion posted:

It was. The BoB vs Goons conflict defined the game for years. The wars since then have shinier toys and bigger ships and more players involved, but nothing like the long, drawn out meatgrinder of hatred and spite that was The Great War.

That post makes you sound like a wizened old man, scarred by years of battle and then years of subsequent social and emotional neglect.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Iriquois posted:

That post makes you sound like a wizened old man, scarred by years of battle and then years of subsequent social and emotional neglect.

All of which is self inflicted, which just makes it funny.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Iriquois posted:

I had a home, a family, people who loved me. The war took all of that away. I've been out for years now, I tried to put it all behind me but some nights I still wake up in a cold sweat, haunted by visions of remote doomsdays and unkillable titans. I boot up excel and play with spreadsheets until the sun comes up, it's nothing like the rush I used to feel but it gets me through the next day. No one ever really escapes EvE, not without a price.

VanSandman posted:

All of which is self inflicted, which just makes it funny.

You weren't there.

FoF
Mar 22, 2007

I BET THE GOONS DID THIS

ASK ME ABOUT BITCOINS, CIS PRIVILEGE, AND MY MASSIVE KARMA ON REDDIT

Avulsion posted:

I had a home, a family, people who loved me. The war took all of that away. I've been out for years now, I tried to put it all behind me but some nights I still wake up in a cold sweat, haunted by visions of remote doomsdays and unkillable titans. I boot up excel and play with spreadsheets until the sun comes up, it's nothing like the rush I used to feel but it gets me through the next day. No one ever really escapes EvE, not without a price.

You weren't there.

I was there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zMKXTJL35g

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

:allears: This should become an offical CCP video.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
Hey a little off topic but does anybody from goon swarm have an audio/video clip of First Name Last Name saying his name? My friend used to tell me he was a legendary troll, never knew anything about him myself.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
"Listen and concentrate, you piece of poo poo."

That video is hilarious.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

MadBimber posted:

Hey a little off topic but does anybody from goon swarm have an audio/video clip of First Name Last Name saying his name? My friend used to tell me he was a legendary troll, never knew anything about him myself.

Some say he's a legendary troll.

All we know is... He always gets his.

ALEX TRILLTON
Sep 9, 2011

IF I'M EVER A DICK ON THE INTERNET, TELL PAULSEPHIROTH'S MOM

VanSandman posted:

For all the mechanics designed to encourage co-operation and friendship in Pokemon, it is entirely possible to grief someone in battle. Pokemon, for those who have never played, range in level from 1 to 100. Under normal circumstances it is impossible for a Pokemon of significantly lower level to defeat a higher level 'mon or even make a move before dying, but a combination of three things makes it possible: Focus Slash, an item that allows you to survive any hit which would bring you from full health to Zero in one hit with one HP; Endeavor, a move which makes your opponents HP equal to your own, and Quick Attack, a move which always goes first no matter what the speed stat (which normally determines move priority) of your opponent. The common name for this setup is known as FEAR, for Focus slash, Endeavor, quick Attack, and Ratatta. Ratatta is a notoriously useless Pokemon found very early in the game which is essentially useless after the early game. Here's the common way this set up works:
Player Griefer sends out Ratatta (lvl 1)!
Player Victim sends out Arceus (lvl 100, and the Pokemon equivalent of God).
Arceus uses Judgement!
Ratatta hangs on with focus slash!
Ratatta uses Endeavor!
At this point both Pokemon have one HP, and the Player with the Arceus is probably already very angry. Sadly their day is about to get even worse.
Ratatta uses Quick Attack!
Arceus fainted!
Now if the player with the Arceus isn't about ready to kill the player with the Ratatta, they're probably crying instead. There are some very simple and common counters to this strategy, but not everyone comes prepared for bullshit of this caliber.

There's an alternate version of this strategy that works with a Tyranitar and an Aron.

Tyranitar has the ability Sand Stream, which causes a sandstorm to erupt for the entire match's duration (this has been nerfed in the latest generation). Sandstorm takes off 1/16 of the opponent's health every turn unless they're a rock, ground, or steel type.

Aron is a very cute dragon made out of metal, and has the ability Sturdy, which allows it to survive exactly one hit that would normally KO it if it's at full health. Because of this, it doesn't need to hold Focus Sash and can hold a much nastier item. Shell Bell is an item that causes the holder to regain 1/16 of the damage it causes as health. Normally this is too little HP to bother with, but Aron can restore its health to full every turn using it.

Using Aron is exactly the same as using Rattata, but if sandstorm is up, it will regain all the health it lost, and then the residual damage from sandstorm will KO the opposing pokemon. It's entirely possible to take out an entire team with Aron if your opponent doesn't have any of the (fairly common) counters to it.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

There's an alternate version of this strategy that works with a Tyranitar and an Aron.

Tyranitar has the ability Sand Stream, which causes a sandstorm to erupt for the entire match's duration (this has been nerfed in the latest generation). Sandstorm takes off 1/16 of the opponent's health every turn unless they're a rock, ground, or steel type.

Aron is a very cute dragon made out of metal, and has the ability Sturdy, which allows it to survive exactly one hit that would normally KO it if it's at full health. Because of this, it doesn't need to hold Focus Sash and can hold a much nastier item. Shell Bell is an item that causes the holder to regain 1/16 of the damage it causes as health. Normally this is too little HP to bother with, but Aron can restore its health to full every turn using it.

Using Aron is exactly the same as using Rattata, but if sandstorm is up, it will regain all the health it lost, and then the residual damage from sandstorm will KO the opposing pokemon. It's entirely possible to take out an entire team with Aron if your opponent doesn't have any of the (fairly common) counters to it.

I don't understand how gaining 1/16th of 1/16th of an enemy's health back restores you back to full health. Does the enemy have many thousands of health, or does Aron have very little?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dreggon posted:

I don't understand how gaining 1/16th of 1/16th of an enemy's health back restores you back to full health. Does the enemy have many thousands of health, or does Aron have very little?

He didn't mention it, but you keep the Aron at level 1. That way its absolutely miniscule health pool is easy to replenish.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, it's just the FEAR Rattata, only the Focus Sash is innate to the pokemon and can go off any number of times instead of only once, which lets the pokemon hold an item that basically refills its own health to full every time, and the enemy goes down in the same turn instead of to a Quick Attack the turn after.

So that tactic in full:
  • At some point earlier in the game, Tyranitar or Hippowdon was sent out. Their ability causes a sandstorm to whip up, lasting until another weather replaces it (in Black/White) or for five turns (in X/Y).

• Switching Pokemon mid-battle takes up your entire turn, and whoever you send in will get hit by the enemy's attack. So to avoid this, you have to get one of your Pokemon KO'd, allowing you to send out Aron safely at the end of the turn. So you've already sacrificed one of your team members just to stop this gimmick eating a fist.

• Enemy goes first and attacks Aron.
  • If they don't use an attack, that messes up your predictions and gives them time to set up and Aron is probably hosed.

• Aron's ability, Sturdy, activates. When at full HP, Aron survives any single hit with 1 HP remaining.
  • If the enemy's ability is Mold Breaker (ignores all abilities that get between the user and the user's target being dead), Aron is now hosed. Mold Breaker is relatively common in competitive games.
  • If the enemy uses a move that hits multiple times, Aron is very hosed. Multiple-hit moves aren't uncommon either, even ones that only hit twice will do the job.

• Aron uses Endeavor, dealing damage equal to (enemy's health - Aron's current health)
  • The enemy is now on 1 HP.
  • Unless they're a Ghost-type. If Aron sees a ghost, it's hosed.
  • Oh hey there's sand around! If the enemy's ability is Sand Veil (boost evasion in a sandstorm), that means there's a 25% chance for Endeavour to just randomly miss. Skillful!

• Shell Bell activates, Aron regains health equal to (enemy's health - 1)/16 which is more than enough to fill a level 1 Aron's health back to full.
  • If the enemy's move was Thief, Covet, Knock Off, Embargo, Trick or Switcheroo (all moves which remove, disable or swap the enemy's item), Aron is hosed. Trick and Knock Off are not uncommon in competitive teams.

• The sandstorm rages! All non-Rock, non-Ground, non-Steel Pokemon (Aron is both Rock and Steel) lose 1/16 of their health. This is usually higher than the 1 HP they have left.
  • So if the enemy is any one of those three types (two of which are really common in competitive play), or has the ability Magic Guard (immune to all passive damage) or Overcoat (immune to all weather damage) or Air Lock or Cloud Nine (both disable all weather effects as long as that Pokemon is out), or has Sand Veil, Sand Rush or Sand Force (various effects, but all are activated by and grant immunity to sandstorm) or has brought weather of their own along (in Generation 5, weather-based strategies are the most powerful and common strategies by far), Aron is totally, utterly and ball-stompingly hosed at the final hurdle.

• And of course if Aron got hit with a fire move that happened to randomly burn it, or a move that paralyzed it, it's hosed on toast with a thick spread of Marmite. At least it's immune to poison...

So it's kind of a clever strategy with a billion ways to counter it. A solid grief, but you'd have to be pretty dumb to let it get you.
:goonsay:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The 'Invincible Level 1 Mon' strategies are very much Fools Mates. Still, they teach new players that there's more to battling than using your most damaging move every turn.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Iriquois posted:

Oh, you've played eve online then.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

MadBimber posted:

I'm pretty sure in Eve they actually incorporate the major in game player driven stuff into the Eve game lore itself. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was actually called "the great war". You definatly get some official looking stuff if you google the term. Reading the eve thread is some hosed up guilty pleasure I have.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Angry Diplomat posted:

The futuristic version of Risk is amazing as hell. [...] On the last turn of a very close, well-fought game, [my wife] went full-on megalomaniac and blew up the loving world.

This kind of tactic is so much fun to pull out in games where everyone is all tensed up. And it's not anywhere as cool, but you can even do this in Hearts. Yes, the card game.

Hearts is a trick-taking game where you start at zero points and try to keep your score as low as possible. You gain points if you take tricks that include a heart card or the queen of spades: hearts are worth one point each, and the queen of spades is worth 13. If you had a really unlucky round, you could gain up to 25 points, because there's a special rule if you take all the point-scoring cards (Hearts players probably know where this story is going). The game ends when a player goes over a predetermined number of points, at which time the player with the lowest score wins.

I don't play this game a lot, but I was on tour in Norway and we were crossing a fjord, so there was some downtime. Some of my companions were getting a game going, so sure, I played it a few times when I thought Windows 98 was cutting edge technology, let's do this.

Turns out I'm not bad at Hearts. One guy obviously believed I was lying about not really playing much, because I was winning more than my share of games. But then I had an awful one. I kept getting stuck with terrible tricks, and was losing badly. We were playing to 50 and I was at about 35, while the other three were all in the low 20s. Liar-accusation guy was visibly smug.

But then I got the hand you dream about. I had all the high hearts and the queen of spades. Yeah, that special rule? When you take all 26 points in a hand, it's called "shooting the moon", and you don't take 26 points. Instead, you choose to either subtract 26 from your score, or add 26 to everyone else's. The obvious choice here was to put my each of my opponents just a couple points shy of losing.

They didn't invite me to play Hearts after that :v:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Denim Dude posted:

I'm pretty sure in Eve they actually incorporate the major in game player driven stuff into the Eve game lore itself. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was actually called "the great war". You definatly get some official looking stuff if you google the term. Reading the eve thread is some hosed up guilty pleasure I have.

As someone who played EVE Online during that war, I can tell you that it absolutely deserves the moniker "The Great War". No gaming event before or since (even in EVE) has come close to rivaling it in both scale and passion. It was truly an amazing experience.

I can also say without a doubt that you should never play EVE Online. It is a terrible game whole entire system seems designed to grief the people playing it. Unless you like the idea being a cruel taskmaster in Randian economic dystopia and can work your way into power. Then you'll love it.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar

EscortMission posted:

Going back to magic for a second, an act in three parts.

1. Mesa Chicken. A creature that has the ability "Flap your arms like a chicken: Mesa Chicken gains flying until the end of turn."
2. Mindslaver. An artifact with the ability "Take control of target opponent's turn."
3. Donate. A sorcery with the ability "Give target player control of a permanent you control."

Activate Mindslaver. Donate the Chicken. Look your opponent in the face and tell him, "You activate Mesa Chicken again and again until you die of exhaustion or concede. The choice is yours."

I loving love this.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

As someone who played EVE Online during that war, I can tell you that it absolutely deserves the moniker "The Great War". No gaming event before or since (even in EVE) has come close to rivaling it in both scale and passion. It was truly an amazing experience.

I can also say without a doubt that you should never play EVE Online. It is a terrible game whole entire system seems designed to grief the people playing it. Unless you like the idea being a cruel taskmaster in Randian economic dystopia and can work your way into power. Then you'll love it.

You'll have to forgive me then, for being snide about calling a video game battle "The Great War" when it's a known moniker for World War 1.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

MadBimber posted:

You'll have to forgive me then, for being snide about calling a video game battle "The Great War" when it's a known moniker for World War 1.

It is, but it's not like people are trying to directly comparing the two. I think it's incidental. World War 1 is often called "The Great War" because it was the biggest, most destructive, and most intense war the world has ever known. In EVE the conflict is often called "The Great War" because it was the biggest, most destructive, most intense war the game has ever known.

I'd agree that it would be pretty cheeky if the term "The Great War" had any specific link to either conflict, but the adjective "great" is pretty darn generic. In both cases it's just people applying the term "great" to biggest conflict.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Chomp8645 posted:

It is, but it's not like people are trying to directly comparing the two. I think it's incidental. World War 1 is often called "The Great War" because it was the biggest, most destructive, and most intense war the world has ever known. In EVE the conflict is often called "The Great War" because it was the biggest, most destructive, most intense war the game has ever known.

I'd agree that it would be pretty cheeky if the term "The Great War" had any specific link to either conflict, but the adjective "great" is pretty darn generic. In both cases it's just people applying the term "great" to biggest conflict.

Point of order: WWII was an order of magnitude more destructive than WWI. WWI wrecked a good bit of France and some of Germany. WWII wrecked Europe, Japan, China, Russia, the UK, and more.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I'm pretty sure there are dozens, probably hundreds of 'Great Wars' in video game lore.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

VanSandman posted:

Point of order: WWII was an order of magnitude more destructive than WWI. WWI wrecked a good bit of France and some of Germany. WWII wrecked Europe, Japan, China, Russia, the UK, and more.

Unless I'm mistaken, wasn't the moniker "The Great War" given before WWII began? That would make whichever one was more destructive a moot point.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Shutup you nerds

Content, from the SS13 thread, an admin that really, really hates the Chemistry section of the game and did his best to stop anyone from doing Chemistry. He failed, and his reaction:

PopeCrunch posted:

I couldn't figure out how you goatfuckers STILL managed to be terrorists with potato chips and water. YOU FOUND A WAY. I had two coders on IRC combing through reactions trying to figure out exactly how you motherless fucks were managing to make potato chips and water into explosives, and they had no loving idea. It shouldn't have been possible. It couldn't have been possible. I fear for the safety of the world if the people who managed to find a way to do murders with mother loving potato chips and goddamned water ever get recruited by a real world terrorist organization. The headlines the next day will read something like WE'RE ALL hosed: SOME NERD KILLS 3/4 OF THE WORLD'S POPULATION WITH A USED BANDAID AND THE SQUEAKER FROM A DOG TOY. THIS SECURITY PHOTO SHOWS THE SUSPECT PURCHASING A STICK OF GUM. DOES HE WANT FRESH BREATH, OR IS HE FINISHING THE JOB? OUR ONLY CONSOLATION IS THAT WE WILL PROBABLY NEVER SEE IT COMING. FILM AT 11 IF WE'RE LUCKY. OR UNLUCKY. gently caress IT. WHATEVER. -(AP)

edit to add: I would like to thank the Maker's Mark Distillery for providing me with the liquid courage to have made it through that terrible time

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
:laffo:

So, how were they making it out of chips and water?

VVV Ah, I suppose you're right.

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 23, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

dyzzy posted:

:laffo:

So, how were they making it out of chips and water?

I think revealing how would remove the magic.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Well they didn't just have access to potato chips and water.

There was also soda, coffee, and hot chocolate.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dauntasa posted:

Well they didn't just have access to potato chips and water.

There was also soda, coffee, and hot chocolate.

To be fair, coffee is basically a weapon of mass destruction.

In real life at least, I have no idea about the game. If it doesn't make you fart uncontrollably in game, it should.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Lutha Mahtin posted:

This kind of tactic is so much fun to pull out in games where everyone is all tensed up. And it's not anywhere as cool, but you can even do this in Hearts. Yes, the card game.

Hearts is a trick-taking game where you start at zero points and try to keep your score as low as possible. You gain points if you take tricks that include a heart card or the queen of spades: hearts are worth one point each, and the queen of spades is worth 13. If you had a really unlucky round, you could gain up to 25 points, because there's a special rule if you take all the point-scoring cards (Hearts players probably know where this story is going). The game ends when a player goes over a predetermined number of points, at which time the player with the lowest score wins.

I don't play this game a lot, but I was on tour in Norway and we were crossing a fjord, so there was some downtime. Some of my companions were getting a game going, so sure, I played it a few times when I thought Windows 98 was cutting edge technology, let's do this.

Turns out I'm not bad at Hearts. One guy obviously believed I was lying about not really playing much, because I was winning more than my share of games. But then I had an awful one. I kept getting stuck with terrible tricks, and was losing badly. We were playing to 50 and I was at about 35, while the other three were all in the low 20s. Liar-accusation guy was visibly smug.

But then I got the hand you dream about. I had all the high hearts and the queen of spades. Yeah, that special rule? When you take all 26 points in a hand, it's called "shooting the moon", and you don't take 26 points. Instead, you choose to either subtract 26 from your score, or add 26 to everyone else's. The obvious choice here was to put my each of my opponents just a couple points shy of losing.

They didn't invite me to play Hearts after that :v:

That's not really griefing in hearts - that's how you play the game. Shooting the moon is something you should always aim for if you have a hand even remotely suited to it (it's actually oddly easier to shoot the moon if you have no hearts, as people generally will keep their highest heart to stop someone from shooting the moon. I did play one game with a friend of mine who managed to give me the queen EVERY SINGLE GODDAMNED ROUND though. I did shoot the moon with it once when I knew there was no realistic way for me to get the queen with my hand, but that my friend would find a way.

For a good griefingish card game, I like Oh Hell. The central mechanic is bidding on how many hands you're going to take each round. Thing is, the total number of hands bid cannot ever equal the number of hands that will be played in a round - this means that at least one person is going to lose each round. The game is fantastic for friendly rivalry and screwing people over, and most games end with people cursing each other and demanding to play another round.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Because I count cards, my family has this dumb house rule where I'm not allowed to call someone out when I know they are trying to shoot the moon. But whenever I try to shoot the moon they won't hesitate to alert everyone and conspire to stop me if it isn't too late. :rolleyes:

Egyptian Ratfuck is a tense, super fast-paced card game that I have a history of griefing my relatives with on holidays. The penalty for slapping a pile when there's no combo is giving up a card, so when things get heated I'll feint a slap and goad someone else into reflexively slapping the pile. Some will fall for this repeatedly. My technique is to look for the hover-hands all ready to slap, usually seen when a face card is down and someone has to play multiple cards so everyone is extra focused.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Sanctum posted:

Because I count cards, my family has this dumb house rule where I'm not allowed to call someone out when I know they are trying to shoot the moon. But whenever I try to shoot the moon they won't hesitate to alert everyone and conspire to stop me if it isn't too late. :rolleyes:

Egyptian Ratfuck is a tense, super fast-paced card game that I have a history of griefing my relatives with on holidays. The penalty for slapping a pile when there's no combo is giving up a card, so when things get heated I'll feint a slap and goad someone else into reflexively slapping the pile. Some will fall for this repeatedly. My technique is to look for the hover-hands all ready to slap, usually seen when a face card is down and someone has to play multiple cards so everyone is extra focused.

Even if you aren't gonna count all the cards, how you gonna play hearts and not count hearts?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Sanctum posted:

Oh, Ratfuck :allears: I used to play that in my math SAT prep class. It'd be me, a couple of buddies, and whoever else wanted to get in on it, usually 3-5 of us. All of us did that same thing until we learned not to hover-hand.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The real grief is agreeing to play Egyptian Ratfuck against somebody with long fingernails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Or drunk.

I played Slamwich (similar to Egyptian ratfuck I think from description) and I have watched friends get slapped across the face after having too many and getting angry about being faked out.

• Locked thread