Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
That argument lasted my entire commute to work today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
But it DOESN'T MATTER BRYAN!

Yes, but the angle has already started, so if we pretend...

BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
They should have had that argument on a PPV instead of giving it away

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I only resubbed to the site on Monday, I never realised how much I missed those arguments.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

which show was that argument from?

e: nevermind, just started this morning's show and holy poo poo

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 22, 2013

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Bryan seemed BAFFLED when Dave told him the actual attendance was 'just under 3000' and tried to follow up by asking if that was just counting the paid attendees.

sportsgenius86 posted:

which show was that argument from?
Last night's Observer Radio. That whole argument clocked in at just over 17 min. in the end before they started recapping Raw.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i wish TNA would go out of business.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Karmine posted:

Good to know I wasn't the only one.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

The Shaman of Cum posted:

i wish TNA would go out of business.
But then the wrestling business won't recover and Bryan won't be any closer to getting his gold boat!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The wrestling business would probably be healthier if TNA died. More quality talent available to WWE's competition is a good thing. WWE probably respects ROH more than they do TNA.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

there's no such thing as competition anymore and 95% of the people in TNA would get paid better not in TNA and the ones that wouldn't are turds so who cares

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

I guess this should go in the TNA thread sorry all

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
It was interesting when Dave said that he was wrong when he commented that Vince probably didn't care about TNA, that Vince actually pays a lot of attention to the company.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

triplexpac posted:

It was interesting when Dave said that he was wrong when he commented that Vince probably didn't care about TNA, that Vince actually pays a lot of attention to the company.

Hey, it's probably worth a laugh at for Vince

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

triplexpac posted:

Probably in the sense of "How will their incompetence affect me?" If the Daffney lawsuit went to court, the 'independent contractor' thing being disproven will affect WWE, as would TNA's lack of a wellness policy.

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 22, 2013

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

e: ^^^ gahhhhhhhhhhh

triplexpac posted:

Considering their tactless approach to storylines, frequent encouraging of retarded spots and turn-the-other-cheek mentality toward drug usage, I wouldn't be surprised if the attention paid is primarily from a protection standpoint.

Whether they like it or not, they're affected by TNA if TNA's incompetence leads to something of public concern. Also, to laugh at people who flee WWE for that hellhole because Vince.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Pretty much. If Kurt Angle died or hit someone while drunk, it would be "ex-WWE star Kurt Angle" and not "TNA star." So TNA's awfulness is definitely worth keeping up on I suppose.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tato posted:

Pretty much. If Kurt Angle died or hit someone while drunk, it would be "ex-WWE star Kurt Angle" and not "TNA star." So TNA's awfulness is definitely worth keeping up on I suppose.

Ex might not be included.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Good god that argument today on Observer Radio. That is legend.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I'm not subscribed to the observer, what exactly was the argument and how beautifully terrible was it?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

NienNunb posted:

I'm not subscribed to the observer, what exactly was the argument and how beautifully terrible was it?

Remember what we were talking about with how Bryan has been way too charitable to TNA since Lagana took over? This was 20 minutes of Bryan coming up with ways that they could not screw up the Styles angle while Dave laughed at him, more or less.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
^^^that too

NienNunb posted:

Dave and Bryan argued as to whether or not TNA's screwing up the AJ Styles angle by having a rematch this Thursday when the whole story for the past 2 months was that AJ's contract ending at BFG. For some reason, they kept comparing it to the Summer of Punk two years ago with Bryan maintaining that they should TRY to at least do it properly no matter what while Dave kept saying it wouldn't matter at all what they do because it's TNA...

....repeat for 17 and a half minutes.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

TNA is copying the "CM Punk wins the title and leaves" storyline, but have already announced an AJ vs Bully Ray rematch on Thursday. Bryan was angry that TNA, who said they were going to do the storyline "better than WWE" is already blowing it the first week, while Dave said that whether or not they blow it is completely irrelevant because TNA is stupid, bush-league garbage and the angle never had any chance of succeeding in the first place because it's a copy-cat angle. Bryan agreed, but said that since they've started the angle already, they should at least do it right. Dave said it doesn't matter because it won't increase TNA's ratings one bit. Repeat 200 times, throw in some trademark awful analogies from Dave and Bryan to complete the recipe.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

Karmine posted:

HulkaMatt posted:

Good to know I wasn't the only one.

I hate you both.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Tato posted:

TNA is copying the "CM Punk wins the title and leaves" storyline, but have already announced an AJ vs Bully Ray rematch on Thursday. Bryan was angry that TNA, who said they were going to do the storyline "better than WWE" is already blowing it the first week, while Dave said that whether or not they blow it is completely irrelevant because TNA is stupid, bush-league garbage and the angle never had any chance of succeeding in the first place because it's a copy-cat angle. Bryan agreed, but said that since they've started the angle already, they should at least do it right. Dave said it doesn't matter because it won't increase TNA's ratings one bit. Repeat 200 times, throw in some trademark awful analogies from Dave and Bryan to complete the recipe.

TNA failed in doing the angle better than WWE right out of the gate, because the reason it worked for Punk is that it always felt like he wasn't quite a main eventer, despite the world championship reigns. Whereas, with AJ, he's ALWAYS garnered marquee treatment. He was trusted to pin the co-owner of the company for the word title during his first year in the company. In CM Punk's first year, he got pinned by Bob Holly and came within a inch of getting fired. Punk had legitimate gripes, AJ came off a whiny pussy. There's also the fact that even if you disagree with the sentiment that Punk had a legit gripe, Punk is a good enough promo to make people believe in what he's saying. The less said about AJ's promo, the better. And really if you stop to think, has AJ ever had memorable promos? No.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I can't wait to hear this argument again on the B&V show, and not hear about it again when I skip the Todd show.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

TNA failed in doing the angle better than WWE right out of the gate, because the reason it worked for Punk is that it always felt like he wasn't quite a main eventer, despite the world championship reigns. Whereas, with AJ, he's ALWAYS garnered marquee treatment. He was trusted to pin the co-owner of the company for the word title during his first year in the company. In CM Punk's first year, he got pinned by Bob Holly and came within a inch of getting fired. Punk had legitimate gripes, AJ came off a whiny pussy. There's also the fact that even if you disagree with the sentiment that Punk had a legit gripe, Punk is a good enough promo to make people believe in what he's saying. The less said about AJ's promo, the better. And really if you stop to think, has AJ ever had memorable promos? No.

Also Styles is the company guy. Imagine if WWE did the Punk angle with Randy Orton complaining about how the company is broken and how he's never been given his credit because of it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oatgan posted:

Also Styles is the company guy. Imagine if WWE did the Punk angle with Randy Orton complaining about how the company is broken and how he's never been given his credit because of it.

I can't decide what would happen if Orton had done that: Me laughing my rear end off, or shooting my TV Elvis-style.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

oatgan posted:

I complained about this to Bryan and he blew me off on the podcast. I guess the story is AJ being frustrated about stuff and Dixie being a heel for no reason but it's a really stupid base for the Punk angle.

I don't know if Bryan is being soft on Lagana when it seems like Bischoff has the final say. But there was a decided lack of "That's the dumbest god drat excuse I have ever heard!" when Lagana smugly tweeted that TNA never said the BFG Series was round robin.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
On today's show Dave was talking about how it took years for Shawn Michaels to get over while HHH kept getting pushed because he was tall and had good hair. Dave on HHH: "He got more chances than most people who didn't click on their first 5 or 6 pushes would get". I laughed so, so, so hard at that line.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

I have to agree with Bryan on that argument. If you have a TV program (wrestling, drama, etc) and present a storyline for weeks that doesn't go over, you should still try to follow up on it and give it a proper ending instead of dropping it out of the blue.

All you're going to do is piss off the few viewers you have, making them feel stupid for investing time watching your show to begin with.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Grant DaNasty posted:

I have to agree with Bryan on that argument. If you have a TV program (wrestling, drama, etc) and present a storyline for weeks that doesn't go over, you should still try to follow up on it and give it a proper ending instead of dropping it out of the blue.

All you're going to do is piss off the few viewers you have, making them feel stupid for investing time watching your show to begin with.

The problem is Bryan is arguing for some made up storyline that doesn't exist. TNA is doing some stupid storyline that makes sense based on the stupid things they are booking while Bryan is arguing for the storyline he thinks it should be.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

The problem is Bryan is arguing for some made up storyline that doesn't exist. TNA is doing some stupid storyline that makes sense based on the stupid things they are booking while Bryan is arguing for the storyline he thinks it should be.

That makes sense. I don't watch TNA, but I've heard Bryan come up with his own conclusions and storylines based who knows what when reviewing shows.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Grant DaNasty posted:

That makes sense. I don't watch TNA, but I've heard Bryan come up with his own conclusions and storylines based who knows what when reviewing shows.
It's for that reason people dread him saying the words "I have a theory..." because the conversation tends to derail shortly afterwards.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Bryan was CONVINCED AJ was leaving the company, therefore doing the match on Thursday makes no sense, but Dave pointed out they never said he was leaving after BFG, only that his contract was expiring and he was going to demand more money from Dixie. I think Bryan wasn't paying particularly close attention and was just filling in the blanks with pieces of the Punk storyline.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Meat Recital posted:

Bryan was CONVINCED AJ was leaving the company, therefore doing the match on Thursday makes no sense, but Dave pointed out they never said he was leaving after BFG, only that his contract was expiring and he was going to demand more money from Dixie. I think Bryan wasn't paying particularly close attention and was just filling in the blanks with pieces of the Punk storyline.

It's a mixture of both. Dave's right that it was never explicitly stated but Bryan's right in that it could not have been more strongly implied.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Tonight on the Bryan and Vinny show, when they started discussing Bound For Glory, Bryan brought up someone on Twitter pointing out that maybe AJ's going to make Dixie 'pay' by getting revenge on her for how she's treated him. Bryan scoffed at this and pointed out that AJ meant it in the financial sense because he rubbed his thumb and index finger together and followed up with "Are you that much of a TNA defender that you can't see that?" Eh??

Also, refused to pass any judgement on how overbooked he main event because he still believes that TNA will do the CM Punk angle better on Thursday by them arriving at the arena, AJ not being there and delivering a promo via Skype (thankfully, it didn't turn into a long argument this time).

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

what's most likely going to happen is AJ won't show up for the match on this week's episode but he'll come back during the one they tape for next week because they think it'll pop a rating.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bryan Alvarez comes off as a dumb person when it comes to TNA. There's no historical precedent with the current creative staff or any previous ones to pull off an angle and stick to it to payoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

coconono posted:

Bryan Alvarez comes off as a dumb person when it comes to TNA. There's no historical precedent with the current creative staff or any previous ones to pull off an angle and stick to it to payoff.

Him and Dave Lagana are friends. He isn't going to Russo-level trash it.

• Locked thread