Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dick Trauma posted:

:cool:: Get yourself one of those 13" Macbook Pros. Load it up.

This had been a pretty lousy day, right up until that point. It was surreal. I got the middle of the line 13" with 16 gigs of RAM, 256 meg SSD. I couldn't bring myself to get the top of the line. It was just too weird.

You live in a pod and you were given carte blanche, why didn't you load it up?! :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah, that's pretty awesome. A Surface Pro 2 showed up today for me courtesy of my boss. It's nice getting recognized occasionally.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sounds like a cunning plan to ensure you'll be able to support his machine to me :v:

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

This had been a pretty lousy day, right up until that point. It was surreal. I got the middle of the line 13" with 16 gigs of RAM, 256 meg SSD. I couldn't bring myself to get the top of the line. It was just too weird.

Hope you didn't want to store anything on there! :v:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Volmarias posted:

You live in a pod and you were given carte blanche, why didn't you load it up?! :negative:

This was a very weird experience. Putting 16 gigs of RAM in it was excessive enough.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Volmarias posted:

On the other hand, showing some restraint with the carte blanche, especially if he didn't NEED the top of the line, is a good way to show a nice, cooperative boss that you can be nice and cooperative too.

Then again, he DID say "load it up." I don't know.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You have to do what feels right in those circumstances. Even though the guy said "load it up", you don't want him to come back with "well I didn't mean spend 5 grand!!!". Showing restraint can be a good thing.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
A "what the hell were they thinking" came in!

Today was the day! Infrastructure installed the dreaded blacklist on the Junipers. And immediately, hue and cry came up from the support desk agents.

"Why can't I get to Facebook!"
"Where did TSN go??"

Sadly, the Forums are also included.

But, y'know, there are still VPNs. And I'm not gonna tell anyone that our wireless guest network is still completely unblocked. This. This is the "what the hell were they thinking" part.

Apparently removing our local admin access to our laptops is next week.

FUN!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is this in response to anything or did someone have some spare time and decide they didn't want to use it to do something productive?

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Posting Principle posted:

I'm a developer. I don't know poo poo about computers because that's not really my job.

Please consult a System Administrator when it comes to packaging your software for installation.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Posting Principle posted:

I'm a developer. I don't know poo poo about computers because that's not really my job.

Do race car drivers know nothing about how cars work?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

The CEO has Macs at home and a few months ago he asked me to get him a new one. I told him he should wait until the next version of OS X comes out.

I've been having a miserable couple of weeks with illness in the family, emergency trips, too much dumb stuff at work... and then I see that the new OS X came out today. poo poo.

I emailed him to let him know and he called me in to his office. I talked about the new 13" MBP because I've been waiting years to replace the 2007 15" one I got for $1 when my old company went out of business. We discussed things for a couple of minutes and this is how it went:

:cool:: So order me a 15" MacBook Pro... loaded. Get me everything on it.
:): Ok
:cool:: And I want the Thunderbolt display. Throw that in.
:): Ok
:cool:: And I need you to get one more thing...
:rolleyes:: Yes?
:cool:: Get yourself one of those 13" Macbook Pros. Load it up.
:stare:
:cool:: Unless you wanted something else.
:stare: You can't be serious.
:cool:: Go order all of it right now because they ship today!
:stare: Ok. Thank you. That's very nice of you.

This had been a pretty lousy day, right up until that point. It was surreal. I got the middle of the line 13" with 16 gigs of RAM, 256 gig SSD. I couldn't bring myself to get the top of the line. It was just too weird.

In the land out of the pod:
My previous supervisor has been looking to upgrade his ancient MBP (1st gen Intel chip), and I pointed out the new retnia ones are out today. He jumps at it and has likely ordered one. Anyway, an hour later or so he comes by and asks if we'd upgraded our machines, as it was in budget he setup before he transferred to a new department.
This was surprising, as the current department manager said we couldn't upgrade until next year, and getting anything beyond the baseline model was probably out of the question. So next year we'll likely get some low-end Lenovo. Which is probably a step up from the HP garbage we are using. The ones out now are probably Thinkpad Edge E531s from I remember.

Not saying we need top of the line machines, but maybe something that has a non-terrible screen for a change would be nice. I think our potential budget for 5 machines was 4500 bucks, which is enough to maybe get 3 people non-terrible machines once you add in SSDs, docking stations and other addons.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

MJP posted:

Sometimes I wonder if there's any job that's 9-5 and 9-5 only...

There is, and I have it. Upside is comp days and complete control over my department. Downside is, I am my department. Oh, and working for a non-profit school. 5 days a week, no after hours or on call work. Support 13 sites located across the entire state of California.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Sylink posted:

Do race car drivers know nothing about how cars work?

Probably not enough to do anything meaningful.

My boss when I was trucking told me to call the mechanics whenever a problem went above the refill fluids/change tires level. Breaking or damaging something in the engine or hydraulics system can become very expensive.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Crowley posted:

Someone has the Helpdesk email in their contacts and gave LinkedIn permission to trawl their mail/Exhange/whatever account. LinkedIn spams you.. With the user's permission.
That or it's fake linked-in spam. Our support@ account gets those reasonably regularly. Always delivered "on behalf of" the same person, some university student who seems to have deleted their LinkedIn account long ago.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Caged posted:

Is this in response to anything or did someone have some spare time and decide they didn't want to use it to do something productive?

One of our devs had DropBox installed, and upper management found out about it and flipped out. So now everything must be as locked down as possible!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That old IT hammer to crack the management nut with

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

JohnnyCanuck posted:

One of our devs had DropBox installed, and upper management found out about it and flipped out. So now everything must be as locked down as possible!

Apparently having UAC disabled on our computers is against our policies. The Helpdesk needs UAC disabled otherwise certain programs won't run properly, like EventComb.

I'm one of the few who disabled it the second they got their Win7 computers a few years back. It's supposed to be enforced by GPO, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I'm not turning it back on.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
So apparently this happened in OS X 10.9, and some git in Graphics just couldn't keep his dick in his pants and went and updated his Mac Pro as soon as he could.

Good thing they get to "take care" of their own machines (except for AV). I could just shake my head in quiet disgust, sip my coffee, and walk away.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

UAC is a good thing, and software that doesn't comply with it is poo poo and opens you up for a huge number of attack vectors.

There are ways to make poo poo software work within UAC, and your company should be using them.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
In my experience UAC largely just taught users to be even more blindly cavalier in auto-clicking OK to security warnings. At least the Vista iteration of it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Entropic posted:

In my experience UAC largely just taught users to be even more blindly cavalier in auto-clicking OK to security warnings. At least the Vista iteration of it.

Our administrative/clerical users can't do anything that requires elevation. At all.

Feels good.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

UAC is a good thing, and software that doesn't comply with it is poo poo and opens you up for a huge number of attack vectors.

There are ways to make poo poo software work within UAC, and your company should be using them.

EventCombMT is a Microsoft product. It doesn't work with UAC enabled. It might have something to do with us being logged in with our regular accounts, but we run the application as our Domain Admin accounts, which should bypass any restrictions, yet it doesn't. The only thing I can think of is that it's because the loving application hasn't been updated in over 10 years and it's wigging out because of UAC.

I'm not saying that UAC is stupid or evil, but for certain IT applications to work (even certain Microsoft applications), and for it to be holding us back from actually doing work, I think it's rather pointless to have in an IT support environment.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Our administrative/clerical users can't do anything that requires elevation. At all.

Feels good.

UAC totally makes sense used like that in a professional shop on work PCs. As it works by default on out-of-the-box machines given to users, it's hilariously counterproductive.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Migishu posted:

EventCombMT is a Microsoft product. It doesn't work with UAC enabled. It might have something to do with us being logged in with our regular accounts, but we run the application as our Domain Admin accounts, which should bypass any restrictions, yet it doesn't. The only thing I can think of is that it's because the loving application hasn't been updated in over 10 years and it's wigging out because of UAC.

I'm not saying that UAC is stupid or evil, but for certain IT applications to work (even certain Microsoft applications), and for it to be holding us back from actually doing work, I think it's rather pointless to have in an IT support environment.

I believe there's still quirks in Windows about picking up an admin token, in that even if you're logged in with an admin account you still need to elevate. If the application can't request elevation (such as if it's ancient) then it will run as a standard user. I think this might be something you can fix in the compatibility tab though.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Caged posted:

I believe there's still quirks in Windows about picking up an admin token, in that even if you're logged in with an admin account you still need to elevate.

That's not really a quirk, it's kind of the whole point.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Quirk was the wrong word, I didn't mean it was a bug. It's just something that trips people up quite a bit and it's not explained particularly well anywhere.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Working on a possible YOTJ here. I know we have several IT government contractors here. I'm one as well working for the Dept of Defense and I'm talking to SBD -- has anyone here worked for them?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

:yotj: I just got an offer for a System Administrator position that pretty much came out of the blue. Sent my resume in for consideration for a Help Desk job, and a couple days later I get 'Hey, we think you would be a good fit for this system admin position, interested?'

During the interview it was revealed to me that none of the actual applicants for the system admin position knew how to navigate the CLI. :psyduck:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

AlexDeGruven posted:

Speaking of UAC and non-compatible software, UPS Worldship needs admin rights to update and while we could just do this ourselves every time it updates, it updates about 5 times a week and it's a pain in the rear end when it's that often. Anyone have any experience getting it working in Windows 7 without pestering the user for admin rights to update?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

hihifellow posted:

Speaking of UAC and non-compatible software, UPS Worldship needs admin rights to update and while we could just do this ourselves every time it updates, it updates about 5 times a week and it's a pain in the rear end when it's that often. Anyone have any experience getting it working in Windows 7 without pestering the user for admin rights to update?

Does it work if you give everyone modify permissions to the folder its installed to?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Use procmon to see what registry keys it's hitting as well.

Edit:

http://www.ups.com/content/gb/en/resources/techsupport/worldship/order/requirements.html posted:

"Modify" rights must be granted to the Microsoft® Windows® group, Users, for the "\UPS" folder and its subfolders. This is negated if a user has administrator rights.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
We already gave the user "everything" rights to the UPS folder, I did find this guide so I'll give that a shot along with seeing what registry keys it's trying to access.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
so a ticket came in, emails from the clients server aren't working.

I try to connect to the server and it isn't accepting any connections. I check their firewall and it is working without issue. I check the VIP to see if RDP is setup, its setup but completely wrong. The internal server IP is wrong, the external IP is restricted to itself and the port is wrong, though this can be explained away as a typo as the port was set to 33389.

I correct everything and log into the server. Its an SBS03 box (joy) and I see the queue has a bunch of email. Doesn't look like a virus as their are only about 40 emails in queue. I do the normal things, restart exchange services, disable and re-enable the connector and no change. Trend then starts to flash errors that it cant connect to the trend server to check for updates. I check the policies on the firewall and someone has set the SBS server -> WAN rule to deny. I set it allow and email starts flowing.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
UPS Worldship is a terrible program

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

go3 posted:

UPS Worldship is a terrible program

No poo poo. I made my inventory guys stop using it. I put them all on ups.com instead.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Jumping on the worldshit hate. The last major updates included stretching out the window to include a giant ups logo for no reason, and adding a toolbar with some chat thing on it that forces the window to have scroll bars for ten pixels.

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".
What's that sir? One of your twenty network drives disconnected? You think it's a VPN issue? Alright, let's go ahead with buying you that new computer you asked about.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Caged posted:

I believe there's still quirks in Windows about picking up an admin token, in that even if you're logged in with an admin account you still need to elevate. If the application can't request elevation (such as if it's ancient) then it will run as a standard user. I think this might be something you can fix in the compatibility tab though.

I tested this; setting it with "Run as admin". Still failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

thebigcow posted:

Jumping on the worldshit hate. The last major updates included stretching out the window to include a giant ups logo for no reason, and adding a toolbar with some chat thing on it that forces the window to have scroll bars for ten pixels.

Worldship can die in a fire. As well as UPS programmers and IT

Things pissing me off, UPS.

• Locked thread