Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
This is a pretty excellent selection of people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I think the only ones I can't identify are the dark haired woman and the person in between Emily and Thomas.

e: oh and I just noticed a head behind Riki Lindhome. No idea who that is.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Did anyone else catch the Birthday Boys' new show? It had a higher amount of exposed pubic hair than I'm used to seeing in a sketch comedy pilot, but it seems pretty solid so far. It's also cool to see Odenkirk back doing sketch work, hopefully he's a frequent performer.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

moot the hopple posted:

It had a higher amount of exposed pubic hair than I'm used to seeing in a sketch comedy pilot,

After seeing them open for CBB on the tour I'm not surprised!

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
It's happening. Pete Holmes is on the new episode.

Fieryspork
Sep 21, 2004
Shamu knows that i'm being sarcastic

tnimark posted:

It's happening. Pete Holmes is on the new episode.

I've always wondered how Pete's particular energy would work with CBB. I've thought he would be a fun sort of anti-straight man since he can't stay in character for more than like a sentence without breaking. We'll see i guess. The Pete Holmes Show is giving him quite a boon in the podcasting world. i'll admit i liked it when Doug seemed a little disappointed that he hadn't been booked on Pete's show yet and Marc Maron had on Doug Loves Movies the other week.

Fieryspork fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Oct 21, 2013

cams
Mar 28, 2003

This episode firmly confirms that if Pete Holmes goes on a podcast, it becomes "The Pete Holmes Show" (October 28th TBS Very Funny.)

I imagine that people who hate Pete Holmes will hate this episode. I love Pete Holmes so I loved this episode.

Also, Jon Gabrus is hilarious. I look forward to hearing more from him. Pete Holmes.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Gave up on this episode about 20 minutes in which is too bad because Gino seemed like he had potential. Someone kindly let me know what I need to do to end Pete Holmes' career so I never have to hear his laugh again. It's like the evil, grating version of Tompkins laughing off mic.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I wish that Pamela Murphy would get crazier with her characters. With pretty much anyone else they start off with their premise and within ten minutes Scott's prodded them to some weird places but with Murphy it never develops that way.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Loved the episode, but I do love Pete Holmes anyway. Although even if you don't like him this episode is basically just everyone making fun of him anyway, so give it a go. And yeah, Pam Murphy is weirdly always way funnier on I4H that CBB.

Incidentally, going off Twitter, there were even more great people at that Halloween thing last night: Nick Kroll, Jon Daly (with a terrific beard), Jason Woliner, Shelby Fero, some others. Oh, to be a mildly successful alternative comedian in LA. Doubly incidentally, they all went to see some Bill & Ted play that Vice wrote about and which sounds amazingly terrible.

Good interview with/profile of Scott at New York Comic-Con. I do wish sometimes he would do more stuff just focused on himself (if that makes sense), or even just appear as a guest on other stuff more often, since he is one hell of a funny and interesting dude.

GraPar fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 22, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

GraPar posted:

Jon Daly (with a terrific beard)

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

If he hadn't overdone the eye shadow and maybe used some eye liner, that would actually be a pretty good look for him. And I'm not even into dudes!

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

GraPar posted:

Good interview with/profile of Scott at New York Comic-Con. I do wish sometimes he would do more stuff just focused on himself (if that makes sense), or even just appear as a guest on other stuff more often, since he is one hell of a funny and interesting dude.

It's interesting, I remember in the early CDR podcast days I really liked the show but didn't think Scott himself was particularly funny. Now there aren't many people that make me laugh as much as he does. I don't know if he got funnier or if his style grew on me. Probably both.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I think it's more that he got better at injecting his own humor into the show while still being a good host and letting the guests shine. And just got better at being a host in general. I mean, it could very well be that he just wasn't as funny then, I dunno.

I haven't listened to those old episodes in so long. I listened to them over and over so many times that if I decide to pull one up now, even if it's one I haven't listened to in years, it'll still feel like I know it too well and that listening to it would just feel routine instead of enjoyable.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
poo poo, EVERYBODY needs some time to find their voice. PFT's first Herzog appearance (and Cake Boss, for that matter) are unfunny compared to what he does now, in my opinion.

For consideration, what are some of the best early episodes? I haven't heard many at all.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

escape artist posted:

poo poo, EVERYBODY needs some time to find their voice. PFT's first Herzog appearance (and Cake Boss, for that matter) are unfunny compared to what he does now, in my opinion.

For consideration, what are some of the best early episodes? I haven't heard many at all.

There were a lot of early good ones, so I'm not sure I could narrow down the best ones. You should just grab episodes with guests you like, or maybe start with the best of 2009. Obviously PFT episodes are great, as are episodes with Jon Hamm.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Listen to Brett Gelman's appearances in order.

e: It's super weird that they've overwritten 'Death Ray' with 'Bang Bang' in the early episode descriptions.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 22, 2013

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Yeah, that and the songs are ~10 seconds long. So long as they don't remove the original theme song...

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
More reason for me to hate iTunes for their latest update automatically deleting all my played podcasts. Now I have to re-download the edited versions with ads.

Seconding Brett Gelman's saga of banning and unbanning on early CDR. His Billy Crystal one man show hit me in just the right spot.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
YOU DON'T LOOK MARVELOUS!!!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The first Thanksgiving special with a bunch of guests, which was also the premiere of Harris's Phone Corner, is still really good to listen to.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

UP AND ADAM posted:

The first Thanksgiving special with a bunch of guests, which was also the premiere of Harris's Phone Corner, is still really good to listen to.

Every Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and anniversary show are ones not to miss.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Every Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and anniversary show are ones not to miss.

And Halloween

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Help Im Alive posted:

And Halloween

Well I was working in the lab late one night...

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

And Halloween

I'm pretty sure I meant Halloween instead of Thanksgiving. Do they even do Thanksgiving shows? :doh:

Also anything with Andy Daly, Jason Mantzoukas, Harris Wittels, Seth Morris (unless you hate Bob Ducca), Adam Scott...this list could probably go on and on.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

Most of the very earliest CDRs are not that good though. The producer talking, the Doug Benson phone segments, the frequent comedy songs... there were definitely some kinks that got smoothed out.

Does anyone know which episode is the one where PFT appears (calls in?) as Danny Glover? That one owned but I can't find it, pretty sure it's one of the first 100

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD
I do not enjoy Pam Murphy as a comedian and her characters are all one-note depressives.

Jon Gabrus and Pete Holmes were excellent though.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

erezaka posted:

Most of the very earliest CDRs are not that good though. The producer talking, the Doug Benson phone segments, the frequent comedy songs... there were definitely some kinks that got smoothed out.

Does anyone know which episode is the one where PFT appears (calls in?) as Danny Glover? That one owned but I can't find it, pretty sure it's one of the first 100

Episode 62: "Serious or Sarcastic?", featuring Andy Richter, Matt Besser, PFT, and Don't Stop or We'll Die.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

erezaka posted:

It's on Youtube if that part is all you're looking for. And yeah, I agree, the early CDRs have more misses than hits.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Episode 62: "Serious or Sarcastic?", featuring Andy Richter, Matt Besser, PFT, and Don't Stop or We'll Die.

Thanks!! So good

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD
Rob Heubel and Tom Lennon on the first episode is solid. I could listen to that conversation again and again and again....

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

whiggles posted:

I do not enjoy Pam Murphy as a comedian and her characters are all one-note depressives.

I like her on i4h but skip any episode of CBB that she's on. That bad stand up character she did when Adomian and Martin were on had to be the worst character in the show's history.

And yeah the old CDR episodes are kind of hard to go back to now with the terrible comedy songs every five minutes. Seems like they edited some out but not on every episode.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm pretty sure I meant Halloween instead of Thanksgiving. Do they even do Thanksgiving shows? :doh:

You may have been thinking of the early Black Friday episode, which was definitely one of the all-time classics.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Also anything with Andy Daly, Jason Mantzoukas, Harris Wittels, Seth Morris (unless you hate Bob Ducca), Adam Scott...this list could probably go on and on.

Nick Kroll, Tom Lennon, Jon Daly, Andy Richter, Cyber Thug/Jerry Minor... think that's all I'd add. Jon Hamm but that should be obvious, plus I think he's always on with another must-listen guest anwyay.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I'm assuming you're leaving out the most obvious one because he barely qualifies as a "guest" anymore. But you would also be wrong to leave out Gelman, Adomian, St. Clair and/or Parham, Besser, Pally, Galifleanakis, Campbell and Rust, and the list does indeed go on.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

The episode where Brett Gelman and friends read a play about heroin addicts is the best episode.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Punch Card posted:

You may have been thinking of the early Black Friday episode, which was definitely one of the all-time classics.
Oh you mean friend of the family Friday?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
It ain't the same show without jukebox jury. Seems like years since they played that game.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

cams posted:

That gets me bursting with laughter every time I hear it even when I'm doing the ramp-up in my head as it goes along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Maarak posted:

It ain't the same show without jukebox jury. Seems like years since they played that game.

Yeah, I miss that too. Scott said that Analyze Phish is essentially a podcast-long version of Jukebox Jury, so there's that I guess.

cams posted:

Michael Cera's Mom is disappointed in you, cams :colbert: