Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
I'm so lost about setting up a team. Trying to get one together, and a friend is doing the same.

He's running from what I know:

Ninjask
Baton Pass

Starmie
Rapid Spin

Clawitzer

Aegislash

Garchomp

Magnezone

Now obviously he won't be the only person who I'd be up against, but I'm still unsure of what to look for in a team build.

I was thinking of running something like:

Scizor
Adamant
Technician

Pursuit
Bulletpunch
Uturn
Superpower

Trevanant
Careful
Harvest

Will o the Wisp
Rest / substitute
Horn Leech
Powerup punch

Alakhazam
Timid
Magic Guard

Psychic
Shadow Ball
Substitute
Focus Blast

This is where it gets tricky for me, I don't know what to synergise with these duders.

Aegislash, Gengar, Ferrothorn, Avalugg? I think I need a tank in there and some better overall coverage but I don't know what to do. I'd like to squeeze a fairy in there, I was thinking either a cleric Florges or Blissey, or maybe a stealth rock Carbink?

Red Herring fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

nerdbot posted:

So Unburden would definitely be the best way to go with Hawlucha then? That was definitely the most burning question I had. I love Mold Breaker but it looks like Hawlucha doesn't really have the tools to make good use of it. He definitely has the tools to make hella good use of Unburden though. I guess that's what I'll stick with!

Flying Gem + Acrobatics + Unburden is really the way to go on Hawlucha. You could consider putting Swords Dance on him, if you find yourself with the time to set it up, especially to cover up your weaker Attack IV. Normally I would say Hi-Jump-Kick is the best option, but this IS the Battle Maison we're talking about, so it will probably cheat a lot and make you miss.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
How do I get to the grassy area on Route 16 that has Pumpkaboos and Phantumps?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a move relearner?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Town with the Fairy Gym. Move Deleter's in the same house.

edit: Just checked on my 3DS; He's in Dendemille Town.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Same house as the move deleter, I think Cyllage?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

How do I get to the grassy area on Route 16 that has Pumpkaboos and Phantumps?

There's a Strength Rock at the very east edge of Route 15 you have to push.

I just went through this last night and I got very confused why Route 14 and 16 lead from Paris to the same town and that the tall grass area connecting them must have been Route 15. That's how utterly forgettable the Pokeball Factory and whatever town it's in were.

kater fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 23, 2013

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Cuckoo posted:

Ugggh I forgot how annoying it is to chain breed. I have to get Wish onto an Eevee to make Sylveon by leveling up a Togepi to a happiness level to evolve and breed with a Pikachu, THEN raise that male wish Pichu to a happiness level to evolve and breed that to an Eevee. Wouldn't be so annoying if it didn't evolve two max happy evolutions at once.

You can breed Wish onto a Skitty and then straight onto an Eevee from there. According to bulbapedia anyway.

The world does not need more Pichus (I do though).

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Constable Lemon posted:

Flying Gem + Acrobatics + Unburden is really the way to go on Hawlucha. You could consider putting Swords Dance on him, if you find yourself with the time to set it up, especially to cover up your weaker Attack IV. Normally I would say Hi-Jump-Kick is the best option, but this IS the Battle Maison we're talking about, so it will probably cheat a lot and make you miss.

I want to try a gimmick heel set with Hawlucha and combine thief and fling to constantly boost speed while attacking.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Can I say just how much I hate GTS?

I am trying to work through the Pokedex and catch as many as possible but it seems like the only way you can get something you want is to breed starters and post them as a request.

What's with all of these people asking for Xerneas?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Flying Milton posted:

I am trying to work through the Pokedex and catch as many as possible but it seems like the only way you can get something you want is to breed starters and post them as a request.

I got a lot of stuff trading stuff I just found mostly. I had much more luck putting up a random pokemon and asking for something else then I did looking for searches myself.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

They bought Y.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There's an option to filter out people asking for legendaries. I use GTS a lot and your best bet is to deposit a Pokemon yourself and ask for whatever you're looking for. The trade usually goes through pretty quick too, I've been getting a lot of Pokemon with it.

JoltSpree
Jul 19, 2012

Welp, I just traded a Jigglypuff for a Bisharp, and he comes with an Adamant nature and Defiant. I don't usually switch party members this late in the game, but I think I might end up replacing Lucario. I don't really have a Pokemon that can reliably counter Psychic or Ghost types.

I wish I knew what his IVs were.

EDIT: I forgot, I can just use the previous IV calculator. If things haven't changed with his growths, Bisharp's got perfect IVs in ATK, and pretty poo poo IVs in everything else. I sense a breeding chain in the immediate future.

JoltSpree fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 23, 2013

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Okay, I'm sold on fish chaining entirely now. Motherfucking shiny Horsea, gently caress yeah.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Pierce is pretty strong, and Bisharp is a cool pokemon all around. I never knew that the blades on his arms were retractable, but the glory of 3D models brings out all the badass.

JoltSpree
Jul 19, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

I never knew that the blades on his arms were retractable, but the glory of 3D models brings out all the badass.

Holy poo poo. Welcome to the party, Pierce. Now let's just teach him Sucker Punch and I'll be set.

EDIT: Another question. Do you get the Power Items in a similar manner from the previous games, beating a bunch of trainers and earning BP? If so, what would be a good team that can counter all the stupid crap they do?

JoltSpree fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 23, 2013

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

So my eevee evolved into Espeon... At 5am :stare:.

I was actually pretty relieved :v:. Which has better stats: Jolteon or Ampharos?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I hope people don't use Roar or Whirlwind competitively because that poo poo would make me furious.

Y is selling a lot better than X at most stores in the country. I wonder what kind of demographics align with this.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Tusen Takk posted:

So my eevee evolved into Espeon... At 5am :stare:.

I was actually pretty relieved :v:. Which has better stats: Jolteon or Ampharos?

Jolteon is (was?) a much better Pokemon all around, but Ampharos is bulkier. Also, he now has the ability to be Fabulous.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I hope people don't use Roar or Whirlwind competitively because that poo poo would make me furious.

I have bad news for you.

JoltSpree
Jul 19, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'd like to introduce you to my Black 2 Hippowdon. :v:

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Talmonis posted:

I have bad news for you.
Mixed bad news, though - it's common on Smogon because stall is halfway viable in their metagame, but official tournaments are all 3v3 singles or 4v4 doubles so play is a lot more aggressive.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Talmonis posted:

Jolteon is (was?) a much better Pokemon all around, but Ampharos is bulkier. Also, he now has the ability to be Fabulous.

That's what I thought. Where do I find a Thunderstone?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
i went east but ended up west of where I started and up is down and oh god this is the lost woods all over again help

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
:laffo:
Victory Road was kind of a slog for me, somehow. I was trying to cram a few more levels into my Talonflame, so it was taking kind of a thrashing.

I need to go to the Move Deleter before I fight the Elite 4, because Strength is really a waste of a slot on my Chesnaught. I need to get a Fighting type move into there, or something.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Back in Gen V I'd notice a lot of people putting up trade requests that were impossible (asking for legendaries at levels lower than they can be found at, etc.). I've also seen this in MMOs, where somebody would put up a single item for the money cap for no apparent reason. I think it's just a thing assholes do, or else somebody has an awesome pokemon/item and they want everybody to know they've got it.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

nerdbot posted:

Where do you get Gems in X and Y, anyway?

I swear I think I picked up a normal gem in the terminus cave, but I forget if it was just sitting around or if I got it by rock-smashing

JoltSpree
Jul 19, 2012

NextTime000 posted:

I swear I think I picked up a normal gem in the terminus cave, but I forget if it was just sitting around or if I got it by rock-smashing

I did too, I found it with the Dowsing Machine. No idea where you get any others though.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Y is selling a lot better than X at most stores in the country. I wonder what kind of demographics align with this.

The dragon-thing probably has a broader appeal than the weird giant antlerbeast. Although personally I picked up X 'cause I prefer Xerneas's design.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I picked Y because I figured X would be more popular. I guess I was wrong.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
What's a good level to evolve Doublade? Serebii says his last move is learned at lv. 51. Can anyone confirm/doublecheck that?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Solumin posted:

What's a good level to evolve Doublade? Serebii says his last move is learned at lv. 51. Can anyone confirm/doublecheck that?
If you have lots of Heart Scales, immediately, as it can relearn Sacred Sword.

If you're cheap, at 51 when it learns Sacred Sword normally.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Can anyone recommend a good setup and nature for a Rotom W? I'm pretty convinced I want him on my team as like, a bulky attacker (I have no water or electric coverage) but there's like 500 different recommended setups for him out there and I can't figure which is the best out. I mainly want him to compliment my Adamant Metagross.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Nakar posted:

If you have lots of Heart Scales, immediately, as it can relearn Sacred Sword.

If you're cheap, at 51 when it learns Sacred Sword normally.

Great, thanks! I only have a couple heart scales, so I guess I'll wait a bit.

Unless there's an easier way to get lots of heart scales besides stealing them from Luvdiscs?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Nakar posted:

I picked Y because I figured X would be more popular. I guess I was wrong.
I preordered X because Xerneas looks boss, but then I discovered that GameStop wasn't having a midnight launch (:argh:) so I picked up Y at Meijer at like 11:59p so I could play it :smug:. I only kinda started working on X (30hrs in on Y) but I really need to finish SS and Diamond so I can get my amazing pokemans from my GBA titles

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Little boys think Xerneas looks girly (goofy Rainbow antlers(I still love you Xerneas)) is probably the answer.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Xerneas is an enormous deer who looks ready to gently caress someone up, I don't see how anyone could think it looks dumb :colbert:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Where can I find a Houndoom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

quiggy posted:

Xerneas is an enormous deer who looks ready to gently caress someone up, I don't see how anyone could think it looks dumb :colbert:

Idiots that's who :mad:

• Locked thread