Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Is there a mod that lets you hug in Skyrim? One of my daughters has a bugged inventory and I can't give her presents. Urgent please help.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/16181/

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/23099/

I like that the first one has a bug which sometimes causes your hug to kill the person you're hugging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I think it's called a "feature" not a "bug"

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If I make a confused comment about skyrim is bloodnose going to come into this thread and tell me how much he hates me :ohdear:

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Stop LANing up this thread and tell somebody something about tourists.

Like for example hiking from Ma On Shan to Sai Kung is really cool in Hong Kong and I saw wild cows.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Bloodnose posted:

Stop LANing up this thread and tell somebody something about tourists.

Like for example hiking from Ma On Shan to Sai Kung is really cool in Hong Kong and I saw wild cows.

OK fine. I'm going to Xi An this weekend. Is there anything that I should do/eat there that wouldn't be immediately obvious?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

gwrtheyrn posted:

OK fine. I'm going to Xi An this weekend. Is there anything that I should do/eat there that wouldn't be immediately obvious?

Where are you planning to stay? What do you like to do? and what do you have planned already?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
This thread was recommended to me as a possible way to get some help with an immigration problem.

My spouse is Chinese and we are working through the paperwork and so far so good. We have the health check, immigration form, personal finance form (and meet the requirements), two biographical forms, birth certs, passport style photos, ss cards, w2s, etc etc. My question and our problem is this. My spouse's OPT does not expire until one year from now, but her driver's license has. We have mailed off the form and payment and are waiting to get a work permit to allow employment while waiting for a green card. The DMV gave us a code to give to my spouse's sponsor at the University, who in turn gave us an I-20, but we've been told the I-20 is not enough by the DMV.

So far this is the only problem we've encountered and do not want to risk an expired license problems.

If anyone could help, I'd appreciate it very much. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would also appreciate it very much! Any other tips/help is also greatly welcomed. Thank you!

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

Saturday, maybe see the warriors, but it's pretty crowded on weekends, cycle around on the city walls. Muslim street at night looks awesome and has great food. It's also got a historic old house / museum with shadow puppet plays and local art for sale (gifts).

Sunday, take the high speed train to Hua Shan station, then grab a taxi and walk up the mountain. I'm hoping to go up there again this weekend with some work colleagues.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

This thread was recommended to me as a possible way to get some help with an immigration problem.

My spouse is Chinese and we are working through the paperwork and so far so good. We have the health check, immigration form, personal finance form (and meet the requirements), two biographical forms, birth certs, passport style photos, ss cards, w2s, etc etc. My question and our problem is this. My spouse's OPT does not expire until one year from now, but her driver's license has. We have mailed off the form and payment and are waiting to get a work permit to allow employment while waiting for a green card. The DMV gave us a code to give to my spouse's sponsor at the University, who in turn gave us an I-20, but we've been told the I-20 is not enough by the DMV.

So far this is the only problem we've encountered and do not want to risk an expired license problems.

If anyone could help, I'd appreciate it very much. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would also appreciate it very much! Any other tips/help is also greatly welcomed. Thank you!

You should be able to get a driver's license with the passport showing a current visa and the i20, i94, and DS-2019 forms. Especially if she already has/had a license. Have you checked the state's DMV website? here's a list (pdf) of the acceptable docs to get an ID

I'm going to need to deal with a similar situation in a couple months come to think of it...

SB35 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 23, 2013

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

SB35 posted:

Where are you planning to stay? What do you like to do? and what do you have planned already?
I'm staying at some "Union Atravis". My parents booked the travel since they're going with me, but for some reason they asked me to find things to do even though they probably know more than me. Honestly, I don't really care for looking at a lot of the artifacts and stuff I've seen. Most of them don't have interesting or well explained histories, and if I've already seen a ton of generic ancient Chinese things at the palace museum in taiwan. Anything with good posted descriptions or audio guides have been good to me here.

Trammel posted:

Saturday, maybe see the warriors, but it's pretty crowded on weekends, cycle around on the city walls. Muslim street at night looks awesome and has great food. It's also got a historic old house / museum with shadow puppet plays and local art for sale (gifts).

Sunday, take the high speed train to Hua Shan station, then grab a taxi and walk up the mountain. I'm hoping to go up there again this weekend with some work colleagues.

I get there on Friday around noon and leave Sunday around noon, so maybe warriors + muslim street on friday and Hua Shan on Saturday?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

SB35 posted:

You should be able to get a driver's license with the passport showing a current visa and the i20, i94, and DS-2019 forms. Especially if she already has/had a license. Have you checked the state's DMV website? here's a list (pdf) of the acceptable docs to get an ID

I'm going to need to deal with a similar situation in a couple months come to think of it...

I'll get this information to her. I don't know the difference/specifics, but assume that since she has OPT her VISA has not expired. I know she has an i20, but not sure of an i94 or a DS-2019. She is not currently employed anywhere, but we married before she finished school, any school visa expiration, etc.

I'll check that PDF. Thank you!

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

I get there on Friday around noon and leave Sunday around noon, so maybe warriors + muslim street on friday and Hua Shan on Saturday?

I know that hotel, and it's in a really good location downtown. It might be tough to get out to the warriors on Friday if you're just getting into town at noon. I'd leave that for Saturday. As for Huashan, well, it's cool, but I don't think a weekend is really enough time to see it in your situation.

Here's what I'd suggest:

Friday afternoon go check out the downtown area, take a bike ride along the city wall (Enter at the South Gate). Walk in the park just along the outside of the city wall. Check out the arts street, Shuyuanmen Pedestrian Street. Make your way through the back streets (it's more interesting) up to the Bell Tower, Drum Tower and into the Muslim Quarter for some dinner. Get some Yangrou Paomo (羊肉泡馍) for 12-20 RMB a bowl and then try some snack foods for cheap.

There are several hostels in the area with decent bars, along with the Belgian bar a close walk nearby. Right around the corner from your hotel is the "bar street", but they're very Chinese bars (read: loud yet empty, 6 warm beers/ 68 RMB, all opened immediately). It's interesting to just take a walk down the street though. One street over to the west has a lot of late night food, street BBQ, noodles (look for biangbiang mian), etc. and the worst public restroom in the city. Seriously check it out, you'll be grossly impressed.

Saturday go to the warriors (I'd probably schedule a trip with one of the hostels nearby if I were you, highly recommend Shuyuan Hostel). Get back Saturday afternoon and get yourselves down to the Big Wild Goose Pagoda by 8:00p (I think) for the fountain show. Explore the area, it's huge and has a lot to see along with beautiful parks all around it, go to Qujiang park if you have time. There are several chain restaurants in the area as well, or you can wait until you get back downtown for some more local joints. Get Trammel to take you somewhere cool.

Sunday, get up early enough and wander those backstreets for some breakfast. Look for Hulatang, roujiamo, youtiao, etc. It'll be good food for cheap. Then, head to the train station or airport.

Google maps is actually pretty good in the area for buses, walking distance, and the subway.

Checkout and pickup the free expat magazine Xianease for a decent map and some suggestions of things to see/do in the area. Also checkout the OP and read my goon city Xi'an.

click for 大

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I'll get this information to her. I don't know the difference/specifics, but assume that since she has OPT her VISA has not expired. I know she has an i20, but not sure of an i94 or a DS-2019. She is not currently employed anywhere, but we married before she finished school, any school visa expiration, etc.

I'll check that PDF. Thank you!
Good luck. I'm not sure where you are, but you might need to help her as well. That's a lot of bureaucratic bullshit to sift through and gov't offices (especially the DMV) seemed to respond better (in my experience) to an American who's more confident of what they're talking about than a foreign girl who only kinda knows. For what it's worth.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 23, 2013

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

If she is applying for a green card bring the confirmation of green card application in. That's what I needed for my wife to get a 1 year temp id.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Dilber posted:

If she is applying for a green card bring the confirmation of green card application in. That's what I needed for my wife to get a 1 year temp id.

Okay. No confirmation yet and thanks again. Yeah, I was planning on going with her the next time. I've been able to go with her every other meeting/what have you so far.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Okay. No confirmation yet and thanks again. Yeah, I was planning on going with her the next time. I've been able to go with her every other meeting/what have you so far.

Oh, it might also be helpful to bring a copy of her ITIN card (tax ID number) if she has one, usually gotten by working at school or something like that. Though it shouldn't be necessary.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

SB35 posted:

Oh, it might also be helpful to bring a copy of her ITIN card (tax ID number) if she has one, usually gotten by working at school or something like that. Though it shouldn't be necessary.

Thanks. Not sure if she's had a job. Worked at a restaurant for tips so she didn't have to do paperwork, which is apparently what ever foreign student does in this city.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Thanks. Not sure if she's had a job. Worked at a restaurant for tips so she didn't have to do paperwork, which is apparently what ever foreign student does in this city.

Well then she probably doesn't have an ITIN. The student visa typically only allows you to work on campus for the university. Which has the added benefit of getting you an ITIN. If she just worked for cash under the table at the local Chinese place, then she won't have one.

Also: is she not on a student visa? As I understood it, one cannot marry on a student visa. I assume she had to get a different visa before that happened? Or did you marry in China?

SB35 fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 23, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

SB35 posted:

Also: is she not on a student visa? As I understood it, one cannot marry on a student visa. I assume she had to get a different visa before that happened? Or did you marry in China?

She was here on a student VISA, yes. We were not under the impression that a student VISA prevents marriage and know of a few other people who got married similarly. Got married in the US. We even specified student VISA when speaking with Immigration and there was no problem. Google is giving me some confidence as well.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 23, 2013

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.
I was under the impression one can marry on pretty much any type of visa, the question is how to go from getting married to being allowed to stay in the country while changing status. Also showing that you weren't doing it as part of some visa fraud scheme (more relevant to getting married on a tourist visa I suspect). That said, I think it's usually just apply for adjustment of status and then don't leave until you get it. Or something close to that?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

waloo posted:

I was under the impression one can marry on pretty much any type of visa, the question is how to go from getting married to being allowed to stay in the country while changing status. Also showing that you weren't doing it as part of some visa fraud scheme (more relevant to getting married on a tourist visa I suspect). That said, I think it's usually just apply for adjustment of status and then don't leave until you get it. Or something close to that?

That's been my impression as well. We are also applying for a temporary trip to Japan and China next year. Her parents and family want to throw us a ceremony in Shanghai as well so we'd be there for two weeks. That's what we're thinking anyway. We're including that paperwork with the regular application.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

She was here on a student VISA, yes. We were not under the impression that a student VISA prevents marriage and know of a few other people who got married similarly. Got married in the US. We even specified student VISA when speaking with Immigration and there was no problem. Google is giving me some confidence as well.

Well poo poo. I didn't know. Not that I was planning on getting married anytime soon. Glad it worked out for you.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
All good man! I don't know jack about any of this so I wouldn't be surprised if that was an actual problem.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

MeramJert posted:

I was being deported from China

What's the story behind this?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Basically when I first came to China I was dumb and my company was also dumb and I ended up overstaying my visa by about 20 days. My company figured it was no problem and I could just hop over to Hong Kong and get a new visa and I'd only have to stay 1 night and come back the next day. The Hong Kong consulate told me they wouldn't even accept my application and I'd have to go back to the US. I sat there in a hotel in LA for 4 months while different people in my company passed "my case" on to other people before I was able to get a new visa and come back. I also didn't shave during those 4 months for some reason.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
We're you still on payroll?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Yeah. We have an office in LA (I actually started working for this company there and then got transferred to China) so I was still going to work, just to the LA office instead of the Shenzhen office. They were still paying me via direct deposit into my Chinese bank account.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

SB35 posted:

I know that hotel, and it's in a really good location downtown. It might be tough to get out to the warriors on Friday if you're just getting into town at noon. I'd leave that for Saturday. As for Huashan, well, it's cool, but I don't think a weekend is really enough time to see it in your situation.

Here's what I'd suggest:

Friday afternoon go check out the downtown area, take a bike ride along the city wall (Enter at the South Gate). Walk in the park just along the outside of the city wall. Check out the arts street, Shuyuanmen Pedestrian Street. Make your way through the back streets (it's more interesting) up to the Bell Tower, Drum Tower and into the Muslim Quarter for some dinner. Get some Yangrou Paomo (羊肉泡馍) for 12-20 RMB a bowl and then try some snack foods for cheap.

There are several hostels in the area with decent bars, along with the Belgian bar a close walk nearby. Right around the corner from your hotel is the "bar street", but they're very Chinese bars (read: loud yet empty, 6 warm beers/ 68 RMB, all opened immediately). It's interesting to just take a walk down the street though. One street over to the west has a lot of late night food, street BBQ, noodles (look for biangbiang mian), etc. and the worst public restroom in the city. Seriously check it out, you'll be grossly impressed.

Saturday go to the warriors (I'd probably schedule a trip with one of the hostels nearby if I were you, highly recommend Shuyuan Hostel). Get back Saturday afternoon and get yourselves down to the Big Wild Goose Pagoda by 8:00p (I think) for the fountain show. Explore the area, it's huge and has a lot to see along with beautiful parks all around it, go to Qujiang park if you have time. There are several chain restaurants in the area as well, or you can wait until you get back downtown for some more local joints. Get Trammel to take you somewhere cool.

Sunday, get up early enough and wander those backstreets for some breakfast. Look for Hulatang, roujiamo, youtiao, etc. It'll be good food for cheap. Then, head to the train station or airport.

Google maps is actually pretty good in the area for buses, walking distance, and the subway.

Checkout and pickup the free expat magazine Xianease for a decent map and some suggestions of things to see/do in the area. Also checkout the OP and read my goon city Xi'an.

click for 大

Good luck. I'm not sure where you are, but you might need to help her as well. That's a lot of bureaucratic bullshit to sift through and gov't offices (especially the DMV) seemed to respond better (in my experience) to an American who's more confident of what they're talking about than a foreign girl who only kinda knows. For what it's worth.

This stuff is super helpful, can you please tack this on the book marks in the OP?

If only Chengdu goons made something this help :colbert:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Here you go abe! I made it based on what goons really care about :

Chengdu Megamap

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Oh some photos from my Beijing trip! It was really fun meeting goons and all. The weather was initially pretty bad but turned out ok. Beijing goon meet was nice a turn up, but relatively tame.

The national museum: road to restoration, see China make these items:

Seeing EF posters always crack me up:

Ok confess: lurkers come out!

Someone took me to a fancy Shandong restaurant, the food was pretty good but I found this

Awesome fried pancakes, piping hot. Only 4rmb

Shout out to B-rad, and other Beijing goons, recommending me to this place for dumplings

Proportions were pricey for China standards considering it was 15rmb for 6 dumplings: They got all sorts of dumplings, like lotus roots and fennel, new year special, really really good for my southerner tastes.

Beijing gooooooon meet San Li Tun: Kro's next. I was kind of busy so props to the lurker goon for booking a table and all, maybe next time we can do go karting or :pcgaming: laser tags:pcgaming:

Near Tiananmen

Why who is this handsome man :china:

And of course: loving your country doesn't mean loving the party :china:

Yeah I know it's an Ai wei wei rip off :eng99: Wonton won't be in Shanghai, so I can go super maxxxxxx gooooooon

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Magna Kaser posted:

Here you go abe! I made it based on what goons really care about :

Chengdu Megamap

Very nice map Paul! But you forgot to mark where Argle lives, everyone should know how much effort he makes just to show up. And man I miss his real deal 3M n-95 face masks. Oh and I forgot this photo

B-rad is an awesome bad boy~~~~~

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
And of course:

Look at how big that pizzzzza is! :neckbeard:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

caberham posted:

Very nice map Paul! But you forgot to mark where Argle lives, everyone should know how much effort he makes just to show up. And man I miss his real deal 3M n-95 face masks.

I am two screens away from WHITE PEOPLE on that map. Paul lives near gay bars though so I'm only about one screen from him.

And it's 5 kuai a piece on taobao.

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013
It's loving impossible for me to share snacks with my Chinese coworkers. I've been working for about a month, and I've offered crackers, cookies, nuts and fruit to local teachers in the elementary schools. Not a single one has taken a bite. I feel kind of awkward because they offer me snacks, and I always accept. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Alpacalips Now posted:

It's loving impossible for me to share snacks with my Chinese coworkers. I've been working for about a month, and I've offered crackers, cookies, nuts and fruit to local teachers in the elementary schools. Not a single one has taken a bite. I feel kind of awkward because they offer me snacks, and I always accept. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

How old are they? My coworkers are between like 20 and 35 and can't get enough free food from anyone offering.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Alpacalips Now posted:

Be incredibly, rudely, overbearingly insistent. Browbeat them into accepting. This is the socially acceptable way to give a gift in China.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I've discovered that sometimes they want to accept your snack offer, but they'll say no the first time you offer. You have to insist.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Ya, insisting usually works unless, like Magna said they're under like 35. Then they will eat all of it and you will never offer again.

When I first came here, like my first week of work, I had crackers and offered some to an older professor. She declined once so I was like "Suit yourself sucker, more for me" and she still hates me to this day.

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001

caberham posted:

This stuff is super helpful, can you please tack this on the book marks in the OP?

If only Chengdu goons made something this help :colbert:

So much trouble. We're all too busy drinking tea, eating yak and napping

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I need to buy tea, anyone know what the best way for me to buy some good Pu-Erh is? I have no idea where to even start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

caberham posted:

Very nice map Paul! But you forgot to mark where Argle lives, everyone should know how much effort he makes just to show up. And man I miss his real deal 3M n-95 face masks. Oh and I forgot this photo

Mock my map as you will but it's pretty accurate for anyone wanting to visit. I forgot to mark the big boat and a couple of Burger Kings, though.

Also I live closer the endless miles of chao shou than anything else; my house is barely on that map at all.