Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

BANME.sh posted:

I understand what a pre-amp does but I don't understand why you'd need them in a regular home audio setup. Note: I am not talking about a phono pre-amp, just a regular pre-amp.

For example, if I have a stereo receiver, why would I ever need a pre-amp? I am asking because I often hear people talk about needing them in their setups. I just don't understand why.

Think of it as a volume control for a strictly defined "power amp" without any real adjustments, versus an "integrated amp" or receiver with volume and other controls built in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Oh, I didn't realize they made amps without volume controls. I guess that makes sense why amps with volume adjustments are called "integrated" amps. Thanks.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BANME.sh posted:

I understand what a pre-amp does but I don't understand why you'd need them in a regular home audio setup. Note: I am not talking about a phono pre-amp, just a regular pre-amp.

For example, if I have a stereo receiver, why would I ever need a pre-amp? I am asking because I often hear people talk about needing them in their setups. I just don't understand why.

Think of a receiver as a pre-amp and amp in one box. Some choose to have a single box. Some choose to have a preamp in one box and amps in separate boxes. The separate setup allows for flexibility in the form of scaling up power as needed, swapping out gear, upgrading etc. Most people don't need to concern themselves with all of that. Separate setups are for people that like to tinker, kind of like jail breaking a phone.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

eddiewalker posted:

Does anyone actually use HD radio? I actually listen to a lot of terrestrial radio, and my favorite station has an HD feed. If there's a significant improvement in fidelity, I wouldn't mind picking up a component receiver.

I can't find many options besides car head units, though. The best thing I see is a Coby for $50 on Amazon, but Coby doesn't scream, "quality" to me

My JVC car stereo does HD and side by side the HD is noticeably cleaner.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Ok, might be a dumb question that was covered a few pages back but I can't tell. I'd like multi-zone, whole house audio, but my house is not wired for speakers. It would be a massive pain to do the wiring, so I'm curious as to whether there are wireless speakers, maybe bluetooth maybe something else, that I could "wire" into like a 6-zone amp. I'm not interested in streaming music from my phone, I want to play cd's or records to my amp and turn on/turn off zones, control volumes independently, etc... The speakers could be flushmount or not, really. I know getting power would be an issue, so I'm assuming that flushmount would be weird, but it would still be easier to wire a speaker for power in the ceiling or wall than to run conduit back to my amp. Any suggestions would be awesome.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

BigFactory posted:

I'd like multi-zone, whole house audio, but my house is not wired for speakers.

Are you doing this for yourself or your family? Do you plan to use sources other than physical media?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Ok, might be a dumb question that was covered a few pages back but I can't tell. I'd like multi-zone, whole house audio, but my house is not wired for speakers. It would be a massive pain to do the wiring, so I'm curious as to whether there are wireless speakers, maybe bluetooth maybe something else, that I could "wire" into like a 6-zone amp. I'm not interested in streaming music from my phone, I want to play cd's or records to my amp and turn on/turn off zones, control volumes independently, etc... The speakers could be flushmount or not, really. I know getting power would be an issue, so I'm assuming that flushmount would be weird, but it would still be easier to wire a speaker for power in the ceiling or wall than to run conduit back to my amp. Any suggestions would be awesome.

You shouldn't need to run conduit. If you can wall fish romex for power, wall fishing speaker wire is easier.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Hob_Gadling posted:

Are you doing this for yourself or your family? Do you plan to use sources other than physical media?

For myself, and I'd have a computer hooked up, too, but I listen to records as much as anything.

KillHour posted:

You shouldn't need to run conduit. If you can wall fish romex for power, wall fishing speaker wire is easier.

That sounds like a colossal pain, but it might be the best way to do it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BigFactory posted:

For myself, and I'd have a computer hooked up, too, but I listen to records as much as anything.

That sounds like a colossal pain, but it might be the best way to do it.

It really is, on both counts.

Do you have plaster or drywall?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

BigFactory posted:

A well set up stereo system beats all non-headphone alternatives for music listening. You'll get it cheaper, installation is easier and it'll sound better. I've never met anyone who bothers with records and is content with multiroom speakers. Not saying such a person couldn't exist, I've just never met a serious hobbyist who doesn't want to sit in his listening chair while the record plays.

That said, you could try something from http://www.audiopro.com/ . They're not the cheapest but they're not terrible, either.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

KillHour posted:

It really is, on both counts.

Do you have plaster or drywall?

Drywall, but the setup of the house and where I'd want speakers doesn't at all lend itself to wallfishing. It's not a room, I want to do the whole house.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Drywall, but the setup of the house and where I'd want speakers doesn't at all lend itself to wallfishing. It's not a room, I want to do the whole house.

Wall-fishing is probably the only way to do it for a whole house system. Do you have a basement?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

KillHour posted:

Wall-fishing is probably the only way to do it for a whole house system. Do you have a basement?

It's finished. Actually re-wiring my house for sound is way down on the list of things I want to do with my weekends. I'd rather just move a boombox from one room to another.

Somebody needs to invent a little dongle with speaker wires on one end that acts like a virtual wire. Plug one into the receiver, the pair into the speaker, and there it is.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

This is basically sonos connect and sonos connect amp.

It's really expensive and some people hate using the app. But multi zone, individual volume controls via software, etc. Has a line in for outside components. I'm sure there are better and cheaper ways but it can be done and in your case I'm not entirely sure how it would work with the line in. It is intended to be controlled through a computer which I think goes against what you're trying to do.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah, I've looked at Sonos and it's not exactly what I'm looking for. I'm really looking for a virtual speaker cable. Aren't there surround sound rears that are like that? Kinda lovely, but wireless?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

BigFactory posted:

Yeah, I've looked at Sonos and it's not exactly what I'm looking for. I'm really looking for a virtual speaker cable. Aren't there surround sound rears that are like that? Kinda lovely, but wireless?

If your receiver has pre-amp out on its zone 2, wireless speakers exist, but range, fidelity and cost won't be ideal.

Audio is a lot easier to beam around the house if you let go of the physical media. Rip the files and quit trying to make the whole house center around your receiver? There are a few more options once wifi is involved.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks guys. Seems like the product I'm looking for doesn't exist (yet?), but I appreciate the suggestions.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

BigFactory posted:

I just looked at our setup. I think Sonos may work. You can take the line in for any device and group it with any other device(s). So if you had a Sonos connect hooked up to your stereo via line in you could wirelessly beam that around to any other zone. Volume controlled in app, but playback controls would still be via your stereo.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I use a Lepai 2020 Tripath amp for my desktop setup. At the lowest volumes, only the left channel has output. In order to play really low volume through left and right, I have to decrease the volume in either the application or Windows, and then turn the amp up.

Why is this? I imagine the answer is "because it's a $25 amp" but really, why is this? What causes it?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Cheap potentiometers (the volume knob) exhibit their cheapness in channel imbalances.

If the pot varies by 5% between left and right, you're most likely to notice at low volumes because the pot is at the high end of its resistance. At higher volumes, the pot is "working less," so the variance matters less.

Nice pots like the Alps used in a lot of mid-priced gear cost about as much as your amp. Crazy expensive gear uses stepped attenuators where each step is matched by hand.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 27, 2013

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

Cheap potentiometers (the volume knob) exhibit their cheapness in channel imbalances.

If the pot varies by 5% between left and right, you're most likely to notice at low volumes because the pot is at the high end of its resistance. At higher volumes, the pot is "working less," so the variance matters less.

Nice pots like the Alps used in a lot of mid-priced gear cost about as much as your amp. Crazy expensive gear uses stepped attenuators where each step is matched by hand.

Cool, thanks. I've seen potentiometer mods mentioned with this amp. Aside from the low volume fix, what other affect would it have?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Most amps like that operate at a fixed gain and just throw a pot right before the output as a volume control.

Should be a simple swap as long as you get the same value and pay attention to whether the original is a linear or logarithmic. (it's probably log, also known as an "audio taper")

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Someone mentioned in this thread or another, a way to boost vocal sound on a 5.1 receiver hooked up to only two speakers.

This is my receiver, for reference: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audi...%2F&type=global

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I don't know if this is the right thread, but there seems to be no dedicated thread to PC Audio:

I'm discovering a very strange problem with stereo audio. I record a song off youtube, lets say. I play it on the same computer and it sounds fine. I take it over to another computer and play it, and its all garbled and low and you can barely hear it. On that same computer where the problem is happening, I use an audio editing program to play only the left channel, and suddenly it sounds fine (but coming out of one channel). I do the same an isolate the right channel, and it sounds fine (but coming out of the right channel only). The STRANGEST thing is that if I copy just the left or right channel, and then paste it onto the other channel (duplicating one channel onto the other) it works just fine in stereo. I cannot for the life me understand what is going on.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Has youtube killed the karaoke machine market? Seems like you'd get a vastly bigger track collection with better/accurate lyrics and better background video/images than what most set top karaoke machines can offer. All you need is an internet connection and a mic mixer.

I'm thinking this because I was just at a karaoke place in K-town los angeles and they barely had any songs from the last 4 years.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I want a speaker system that I can connect to via bluetooth to play music, but I don't want to look like some stupid pill shaped thing or something with chrome all over it.

Is there a normal plug-in stereo system that has bluetooth connectivity?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

the posted:

I want a speaker system that I can connect to via bluetooth to play music, but I don't want to look like some stupid pill shaped thing or something with chrome all over it.

I think Tivoli audio makes some, but honestly, your best bet for a "demure" looking system would be to just pick up a receiver with that capability and plug some bookshelf speakers into it. I'm sure there are others out there too but all of the ones I can think of look flashy/gimmicky.

What kind of devices are you planning to play music from? If you're using iOS devices or iTunes as your PC music player then you can easily get a used Airport Express for like 60 bucks (or a refurb from Apple for $75) and plug that into any stereo you want for easy connection over your home wifi network.

I have one plugged into the Aux. feed of my '70s receiver and it works stupid well.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 29, 2013

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

the posted:

The Wirecutter did a review of these and they liked the Logitech UE Mini Boom. It's small, runs on batteries for a long time, and sounds decent. The Jawbone Jambox looks "nicer" (depending on what you think is nice) but doesn't necessarily sound as good.

I looked at some of their other suggestions and the Bose SoundLink Mini actually might be the best choice if you care about tasteful design. Even though Bose is shunned by most people in the stereo world, it apparently has good sound for what it is. $200 though.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

the posted:

If you want to use whatever stereo, maybe just get a Bluetooth receiver? I linked a few a while back here, might be better stuff now, but whatever the case there's a bunch.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've read through this thread and have some semi-answers to my question.

I may be getting a stereo receiver of my choice for Christmas and want to pick the right one. I want one with an FM receiver and need to run a turntable, laptop, and ipod/iphone through it. I have a pair of Klipsch KG 1.5s. I'm not interested in surround sound, I don't have a TV, no bluetooth or XM, and I'm not trying to do a home theater. I just want good solid sound from a 2-channel system. My limit is ~$300 - 350.

I've narrowed my search down to: Harman Kardon HK3390 or HK3490, Pioneer SX-A9-J, Onkyo TXZ-8255

Which of these is best or what are some similar alternatives of excellent quality?

edit: While I would like to go vintage myself, I don't want to send the gifter on a really irritating errand. So I'm after a modern system for now.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 3, 2013

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I've narrowed my search down to: Harman Kardon HK3390 or HK3490, Pioneer SX-A9-J, Onkyo TXZ-8255

Out of those I'd go with HK3490. Good phono stage, inbuilt DAC and decent price. Haven't heard the Pioneer one, HK3390 lacks the DAC and isn't that much cheaper, Onkyo also lacks DAC and the model you're looking at is one notch below HK3490 anyway.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Preface: I'm not an audiophile per se, so some of this is a little beyond me. I'm a little new to this level of gear collection.

Would a receiver without a DAC not drive my speakers? Would I need to get a separate amplifier to pair with a receiver without a DAC? I was under the impression that these receivers had sufficient power without a separate amp.

I see now that I would not need a separate amp. My revised question: what advantage or necessity does a receiver with an inboard DAC have over one without?

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 3, 2013

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Would a receiver without a DAC not drive my speakers?

DAC is a Digital-Analog Converter. In simple terms it means you can use optical out for connecting your laptop instead of 3,5mm to RCA.

All receivers in your list provide enough power to drive your speakers without any extra purchases.

Using optical out bypasses the DAC in your sound card which is useful if you get a lot of interference (ie. noise) especially at high volumes.

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 3, 2013

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

You're too fast for me. Thanks.

New question, since I was planning on running my computer through a 3.5mm to RCA: Does an optical out carry better sound quality?

Sorry for what I assume are really basic questions, I'll keep on doing my own research and try not to bog this thread down.

Edit: gently caress, that's twice. Thank you.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Can someone recommend a good usb mic with a flat response? I'm pretty sure the onboard sound on my PC is toast (which is fine - I have a DAC), but I'd like to be able to calibrate my system. I don't have a huge budget, so I'm not looking for a $900 studio-grade Audio Technica, or anything. <50 bucks, maybe?

I'd like a condenser mic, but most of the ones I'm seeing are cardioid, and I assume omni would be better for this.

Edit:

Something like this would be perfect... if it wasn't 80 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-...+usb+microphone

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 6, 2013

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Parts express has some calibrated mics. I can't remember off hand which ones are the best but I believe they're around $40. Soundcard doesn't need to be perfectly flat because you do a loopback response and then your program creates a calibration file for it.

Best place to ask is on the Room EQ Wizard subforum over at home theater shack forums.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's not that the soundcard isn't flat. It's that the soundcard is broken - as in it doesn't recognize anything I plug into any of the ports. I've tried several different drivers, and I'm pretty sure it's busted.

I'll check out the home theater shack. Thanks

Porter Flounder
May 10, 2005

I <3 Kitano
I recently bought an Onkyo TX-8255 Stereo Receiver to go with my Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers. I also bought the accompanying Pioneer SW-8MK2 subwoofer. Did I mess up on the receiver by not being able to use my subwoofer with it? Am I over thinking hooking the sub up to the speakers/receiver?

If the above three items work in the setup together I think I need a diagram or something. I just want the sub to work with the receiver I just got. Thanks if any of this makes sense.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Porter Flounder posted:

I recently bought an Onkyo TX-8255 Stereo Receiver to go with my Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers. I also bought the accompanying Pioneer SW-8MK2 subwoofer. Did I mess up on the receiver by not being able to use my subwoofer with it? Am I over thinking hooking the sub up to the speakers/receiver?

If the above three items work in the setup together I think I need a diagram or something. I just want the sub to work with the receiver I just got. Thanks if any of this makes sense.

That subwoofer has speaker-level inputs, but inconveniently, not outputs. You could run speaker wire from the Speaker A terminals to the speakers, and from the Speaker B terminals to the subwoofer. Then you'd have to have both Speaker A and Speaker B outputs turned on to use the sub.

If it's not too late to return the TX-8255, you could try the Onkyo TX-8020, which has a preamp output for a subwoofer: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX8020-TX-8020-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B00EE18O7W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386425074&sr=8-2&keywords=tx-8255

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I just got a pair of powered monitors. Maudio BX5s. They don't have any feet. Its bare wood. Should I get rubber bumpers or felt pads?