Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Wengy posted:

True, I meant those clusters. I guess I was looking forward to a six-cluster-chip in the iPad, but it appears Apple are going back to giving the iPad the same SOCs as the iPhone (like they did in the iPad 1 and the iPad 2). It makes sense to streamline, but I'd gotten used to the iPad having monstrous GPUs.
Well there's this blurb:

Apple posted:

The new Apple-designed A7 chip brings 64-bit desktop-class architecture to iPad. That means up to twice the CPU speed and graphics performance for everything you do. And still up to 10 hours of battery life to study, play, build, and create whatever you want, all you want.1

1 Performance compared with previous generation. Battery life varies by use and configuration; see https://www.apple.com/batteries for more information.
Who knows what metric they're using for the graphic boost (Anandtech shows the A6X and A7 both at 76.8 GFLOPs), but they said 2x for the previous iPad comparison too (which was a straight 2x bump in the FLOP numbers, not that they're even remotely the end all of performance metrics).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Hamburlgar posted:

I've not updated my iPad 3 to OS7 as I'm jailbroken on 6.1.2 and and still more than 100% satisfied with it. I really don't see the hate for it. Even with the weaker RAM I have not experienced the tab refreshing you guys keep mentioning.

Maybe by the time the iPad 6 or whatever comes out It'l be time for an upgrade, but neither the 4 that my partner has or the 'air' have sounded/looked good enough to need to upgrade.
iPad 3 has a gig of RAM, which is the max on all current iOS devices.
The later iPhones have a different type of RAM, but they're all 1 gig, so the refreshing issue will probably stay at whatever level it is now unless the Air ups the amount (doubtful).

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Space Racist posted:

Speaking as an owner of an iPad 3, I think you're exaggerating a bit here.

I admittedly am, but not by much - lag can be pretty subjective. I read a ton of PDFs on the iPad and otherwise mostly use it to browse the web and take notes using Evernote. All of these tasks can obviously still be accomplished, but at this point their completion is simply a bit too sluggish for my taste.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I have an iPad 3, and don't feel any need to upgrade yet, because it still runs well enough for me. :shrug: I used to run iOS 5 on an original iPad. Now that was painful.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I also still own an iPad 3 and haven't really had any complaints with iOS7 beyond the wallpaper thing.

I actually just reminded myself that the 3 is only a year and a half old given that the 4 was released six months after the 3 came out. And the 4 added just a slightly better internals and a Lightning connector.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Performance wise the 3 is pretty much fine except for wallpaper changing, it just lacks the cool glass effect for transparencies. My only legit reasons for upgrading to an Air are for the sake of AirDrop between it and my iPhone and the drop in weight.

Incidentally, they're not doing pre-orders at all for it in the UK, are they? What time on 1st November are they likely to release website orders? As much as I want one, taking a day off work to queue outside the Apple Store in Belfast seems a little silly.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Eh, you guys are probably right. Might as well sit out this revision and try not to get too frustrated with my 3. I think I'm gonna upgrade all my iOS devices next year, since I've already decided to pass on the 5S too.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

ChocNitty posted:

The iPad 3 is still a very capable device that runs most popular apps and games smoothly. Sounds more like a case of penis envy. If it bothers you that much then i'd sell it on craigslist and upgrade.
Having owned an iPad 1, 2, and currently a '3' - I can categorically say the 3 sucks and I've been regretting that purchase since the first time a notification dropped down and caused whatever app I was in to stutter. I am so ready to upgrade to an Air. I see the 3 as a slight misstep that was corrected a short 6 months later with the 4. Even Carcasonne, a loving board game, has problems on the iPad 3. Want to play a movie? Sure, but the minute a notification drops down, hello frame skip, awkward pausing, and oos voices. Runs games smoothly if by smoothly you mean choppy like the North Sea.

Further, the iPad is gender neutral, and not even shapped like a penis :iiam:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
To be clear on this t-mobile thing, the free 200 meg data plan isn't just for current customers right?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Really hoping I can go into the store next Friday and pick up a new Air. I sold my nexus 7 and I am ready for my iPad again.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Wengy posted:

Eh, you guys are probably right. Might as well sit out this revision and try not to get too frustrated with my 3. I think I'm gonna upgrade all my iOS devices next year, since I've already decided to pass on the 5S too.
I'm going the opposite route, alternating between iPhone upgrade year and iPad upgrade year - so once a year I have a new toy! :)

ShadowFox1001
Sep 21, 2013
After seeing the introduction of the retina Mini, I became more interested in getting an iPad. However, having an iPhone, I don't see how much of a different experience I'd have on an iPad other than the fact that the screen is bigger. I assume most people in this thread own both. What is the benefit of having both?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Residency Evil posted:

To be clear on this t-mobile thing, the free 200 meg data plan isn't just for current customers right?

I'm curious about the details too. I actually am a current T-Mobile customer, but I don't have a tablet plan, so I don't know how things are supposed to go.

Another iPad 3 owner here, by the way. iOS 7 is pretty smooth overall, though of course you do miss out on some features with the older hardware. I'm hoping to upgrade to a 32GB LTE Mini.

Nihiliste fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 23, 2013

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ShadowFox1001 posted:

After seeing the introduction of the retina Mini, I became more interested in getting an iPad. However, having an iPhone, I don't see how much of a different experience I'd have on an iPad other than the fact that the screen is bigger. I assume most people in this thread own both. What is the benefit of having both?

The screen is bigger.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

Incidentally, they're not doing pre-orders at all for it in the UK, are they? What time on 1st November are they likely to release website orders? As much as I want one, taking a day off work to queue outside the Apple Store in Belfast seems a little silly.
Orders usually open at midnight local except in the US where it is midnight Pacific time.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
^^^ Thanks!

ShadowFox1001 posted:

If you're browsing the internet a lot away from a full PC, the screen real estate is huge bonus compared to an iPhone. Other than that, I would use it a lot for watching movies/TV shows in bed and for reading articles. It's a perfect toilet companion. :c00lbutt:

Plus if you want to slack off in work, using a phone looks like you're texting friends, whereas holding an iPad looks like you're a savvy professional with important work to do.

edit: Also, if you have both, you can be the do the most "white people" thing in the world, and use your expensive Apple electronics products to make a digital ukulele. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdPRhBtO4IA

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 23, 2013

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

If you're browsing the internet a lot away from a full PC, the screen real estate is huge bonus compared to an iPhone. Other than that, I would use it a lot for watching movies/TV shows in bed and for reading articles. It's a perfect toilet companion. :c00lbutt:

Plus if you want to slack off in work, using a phone looks like you're texting friends, whereas holding an iPad looks like you're a savvy professional with important work to do.

I can't back this statement enough. I thought a tablet would be terrible. In fact, I wanted until the iPad 3 before I even purchased one. Now, I really dislike going without one. I don't want to be on a laptop most of the time .. In fact, a MBA 11" would probably allow me to do everything I need to do. With that being said, I can do remote control support from the iPad with apps like Team Viewer, browse the web, check email, take notes, etc. So a tablet can be a HUGE relief if you really don't do much on a PC.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

ShadowFox1001 posted:

Anyone who thinks its a game-changer is a tool.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

^^^ Thanks!

I actually do use my iPad for work. I cover tech news, and as we speak my iPad is propped up on a desk corner with Pulse running. Speaking of which, I wish Pulse/LinkedIn would get their act together and fix the crashes the app has under iOS 7.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I sold my laptop a few months after I got my iPad. I think a PC for tasks you really gotta focus on like media editing or "core" games, a tablet for chilling out and checking Facebook on the couch and a phone for having with you anyway is the perfect combination for computer stuff.

Whenever I bought my iPad, on my way home before switching it on I got some buyer's remorse - assuming that I had blown hundreds of pounds on a gimmicky gadget that I'll get bored of. I don't think I've ever been more wrong about a purchase my whole life. Except for the time I bought Steel Battalion on the Xbox... ouch.

Nihiliste posted:

I actually do use my iPad for work. I cover tech news, and as we speak my iPad is propped up on a desk corner with Pulse running. Speaking of which, I wish Pulse/LinkedIn would get their act together and fix the crashes the app has under iOS 7.
iPads are great for doing work, which is why they're amazing for NOT doing work. ;)

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

eddiewalker posted:

Anyone who thinks its a game-changer is a tool.

What an idiotic statement to make. Perhaps it is a game changer to some people, who you know, have different needs than you.

It amazes me people still make comments as ignorant as yours.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The biggest problem with the regular iPad is the weight - my iPad 3 can't be held in one hand, and is uncomfortable to hold in a couch or bed.

It's possible both of the new iPads will do away with this problem, which probably means that, if I had to choose, it'd be along the lines of this:

• iPad Air: web browsing, movies, comicbooks, iWork stuff, drawing
  • iPad Mini: games, train/subway rides, books, presentation manuscript/clicker

Any regular apps will probably be fine on both.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Wengy posted:

To me, this screams iPad 3 Mark II, because I just know there's an "iPad Pro" around the corner with a bigger screen, a resolution bump, more RAM, killer graphics etc. Ugh, what to do...

This is a dangerous mentality to have, there will always be something better around the corner, especially with iPads. If the one you have now is really poo poo just bite the bullet and replace it. I would like one of those new minis but the current mini works well enough to last me this cycle, so I probably won't switch unless it becomes unbearable. There's no point in waiting for these things unless there's a month or so to go until a new release.

E: ah, it's already been discussed, sorry!

Gigi Galli fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 23, 2013

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

mAlfunkti0n posted:

What an idiotic statement to make. Perhaps it is a game changer to some people, who you know, have different needs than you.

It amazes me people still make comments as ignorant as yours.

Don't be a moron, this is what someone at a mac site wrote when the OG iPad came out in 2010. Tim Cook made fun of it in the presentation yesterday.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

mediaphage posted:

Don't be a moron, this is what someone at a mac site wrote when the OG iPad came out in 2010. Tim Cook made fun of it in the presentation yesterday.

Don't me a moron about what? Perhaps I missed the sarcasm in his statement.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Don't me a moron about what? Perhaps I missed the sarcasm in his statement.

Windows #1 fan Paul Thurrot said that in his review of the first iPad.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Gigi Galli posted:

This is a dangerous mentality to have, there will always be something better around the corner, especially with iPads. If the one you have now is really poo poo just bite the bullet and replace it. I would like one of those new minis but the current mini works well enough to last me this cycle, so I probably won't switch unless it becomes unbearable. There's no point in waiting for these things unless there's a month or so to go until a new release.

E: ah, it's already been discussed, sorry!

You're right, but my post was not just my tech-OCD mentality talking. I genuinely think the "Air" moniker hints at further diversification of the iPad line. There's now a "Mini" and an "Air", so it's not too much of a stretch to assume that they're going to add a "Pro" sooner rather than later.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I can't back this statement enough. I thought a tablet would be terrible. In fact, I wanted until the iPad 3 before I even purchased one.

I had the same general attitude when I was given my original iPad, and it took me a few months to actually warm up to the thing. After a few more months, I ended up selling my laptop and realized it'd made my phone kind of superfluous for anything besides actual phone stuff. I'm stuck owning a laptop again since I need something I can write code on away from my desk, but it's amazing how much I actually use the iPad. It's unfortunately really hard to know how useful something like a tablet will be for you until you've owned one for a while.

Wengy posted:

You're right, but my post was not just my tech-OCD mentality talking. I genuinely think the "Air" moniker hints at further diversification of the iPad line. There's now a "Mini" and an "Air", so it's not too much of a stretch to assume that they're going to add a "Pro" sooner rather than later.

Here's a question: are you going to want to spend almost or over $1000 on an iPad? If they add a Pro model, it's going to end up priced above the Air, which is still at regular ol' iPad price levels. If you aren't going to want to spend that much money on an iPad, then you've really got nothing to worry about. It's also entirely possible that there's no Pro model coming at all, or that if there is it won't be until another refresh a year from now.

Edit- Keep in mind that the 'Air' moniker distinguishes it from the iPad 2 as well, which they're still selling. It's entirely possible that the Air will stay as the top-end model.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
That was fast.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Just noticed that they're doing 128GB for the Mini as well as the Air now. That plus the mini being $100 cheaper (which I still don't understand since I'd assume the new screen technology in the Mini would be more costly than the Air screen they've been using since the iPad 3) means I might need to hit up an Apple store and see how bad reading some of the more painful PDF/books/textbooks I have is on the smaller screen. I know it won't be as sharp as the Retina display it'll be getting, but it's more going to be text size when seeing the whole page.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Paradoxish posted:

Here's a question: are you going to want to spend almost or over $1000 on an iPad? If they add a Pro model, it's going to end up priced above the Air, which is still at regular ol' iPad price levels. If you aren't going to want to spend that much money on an iPad, then you've really got nothing to worry about. It's also entirely possible that there's no Pro model coming at all, or that if there is it won't be until another refresh a year from now.

What if they bring down the price of the Mini and Air next year to make a little room for a Pro model? The biggest knock against the mini now is really the cost and if Apple is done selling out their supply of non-retina Minis next year, why not take $50 off the base price for the Mini and Air?

But then that would raise the question of just what the gently caress Apple would throw into an iPad Pro model that would necessitate a Pro moniker.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I am wondering if the side bezel space on the iPad Air will be sufficient. The original bezel space is exactly the size of my thumb.

How do people hold the Mini?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Skywalker OG posted:

I am wondering if the side bezel space on the iPad Air will be sufficient. The original bezel space is exactly the size of my thumb.

How do people hold the Mini?

The mini is supposed to have thumb detection so you can hold your thumb on the glass and it should ignore it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Thwomp posted:

But then that would raise the question of just what the gently caress Apple would throw into an iPad Pro model that would necessitate a Pro moniker.

Hinged keyboard and trackpad. Oh wait.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

ShadowFox1001 posted:

Well, I guess my phone is getting old now (4s) but my ipad has RIDICULOUSLY better battery life. Oh, and the screen is bigger.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I think it's pretty clear that the "pro" model is inevitable now. It's just a question of when. The naming scheme being the same as the Mac lineup means something is up.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
IPads aren't macbooks. I doubt there will be a pro model because pros create, they don't consume. IPads are for consumption, macbooks and macs are for production.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The Air nomenclature has been to describe products that are lighter than their competitors. The iPad Air is no exception.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

cowofwar posted:

IPads aren't macbooks. I doubt there will be a pro model because pros create, they don't consume. IPads are for consumption, macbooks and macs are for production.

What, I can't create stuff on a MacBook Air then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

teagone posted:

What, I can't create stuff on a MacBook Air then?

You can, but the MBPs are the laptop models marketed to professionals. Airs are supposed to be everyday companions for everyday people. Both machines can be used for both, but they're marketed to different lifestyles.

I guess this still makes no context in terms of the iPad Air, but whatever. It's a pound. That's pretty drat good for a tablet.