Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Swords into Plowshares for a war based game? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Swords into Plowshares for a war based game? :psyduck:

It's to represent individual growth, not people growth- In other words, when not at war, they invest in cheetos and mountain dew and get fat-. The same reason I picked that Pantheon.

Rainbow_Horse
Apr 23, 2002

It represents a really, really lovely choice in a strategy game. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go invest in some Cheetos and Mountain Dew!

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
God I hate tundra. It should damage enemies when you're at war or at least do something useful. There needs to be a tundra-style Petra or something because if I see even 1 tile of tundra near me when I start up you can bet your rear end I'm restarting.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Poil posted:

Congratulations on picking the least fitting pantheon for it.

It's perfectly fitting. In War Games, the only winning move is not to play.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Jedit posted:

It's perfectly fitting. In War Games, the only winning move is not to play.

When you put it like that it does fit.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

natetimm posted:

God I hate tundra. It should damage enemies when you're at war or at least do something useful. There needs to be a tundra-style Petra or something because if I see even 1 tile of tundra near me when I start up you can bet your rear end I'm restarting.

I sort of like seeing some tundra nearby, because it does let me know a direction not to explore immediately. I don't want it too close, but it shows me right off the bat that I will probably not have a northern/southern civ in that direction.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

natetimm posted:

I've warmed up to Tundra strategically if I see it near my start. It's fine if it's on a hill or with Deer, but yeah I'm pretty lukewarm about just plain Tundra crap tiles on my starter city too. On the other hand, it means that you don't have to worry about pincers from coalitions put together to stop you as your stone age war machine ramps up into high gear because even if there's someone to the north (or south) of you, fat loving chance he'll have the resources to contribute to any meaningful offensive.

beerinator posted:

I sort of like seeing some tundra nearby, because it does let me know a direction not to explore immediately. I don't want it too close, but it shows me right off the bat that I will probably not have a northern/southern civ in that direction.
Exactly. The only problem with this attitude is that there's still a bunch of goody huts in Tundra, just never on Snow.

Supersheep
Nov 11, 2009
Anyone else have problems with stability when using mods?

Playing normally is perfectly fine, but as soon as I add a few mods, I get the "crash on turn X" bug.

I know it's not mod incompatibility, because it happens even when I'm only using one mod.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
trade route question:if I get something that increases all trade route gold income, for instance, does it apply immediately to existing routes, or only when the 30 turns are up and you re-choose your trade route?

also, why do you sometimes not give religious pressure when establishing a trade route?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Supersheep posted:

Playing normally is perfectly fine, but as soon as I add a few mods, I get the "crash on turn X" bug.

I know it's not mod incompatibility, because it happens even when I'm only using one mod.

Which mods? Sometimes a mod isn't properly updated after a patch, and a new one came out recently.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Supersheep posted:

Stick to interface or maps only, and avoid anything made by Thalassicus, and you should be fine.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

SlightlyMadman posted:

Stick to interface or maps only, and avoid anything made by Thalassicus, and you should be fine.

Thalassicus can make unstable map scripts, somehow. It's kind of impressive.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Can someone explain Public Opinion to me?

I'm Indonesia. I'm not playing a culture game but I am producing a decent amount of culture, and Brazil's tourism is "Exotic" level for me. There is another civ (Poland) between the two of us.

How is it calculated whether I'm content or dissidents?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Defenestration posted:

Can someone explain Public Opinion to me?

I'm Indonesia. I'm not playing a culture game but I am producing a decent amount of culture, and Brazil's tourism is "Exotic" level for me. There is another civ (Poland) between the two of us.

Their total tourism is 68, compared to your 6. While they may still be influential, they're exerting a significant amount of influence on you compared to what you're exerting on them, which is how public opinion on ideologies is calculated.

From what I've discovered, unless you're first to choose ideologies and have a tourism output approximately equal to your next-greatest competitor (or friendly enough relations with other civs that they'll follow you), you're usually best going with whatever the world's majority consensus is.

Someone else may be able to explain and offer better advice than that though. I've only had one game where the world went a different way than me, and I had to choose social policies that helped balance it out by pumping happiness.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Defenestration posted:

Gully Foyle posted:

So the way it works is that there are five levels of tourism influence (based on your tourism v. their culture) as below.
0 - Unknown
1 - Exotic
2 - Familiar
3 - Popular
4 - Influential
5 - Dominant

Once ideologies roll around:

If you have different ideologies: it compares your influence you have on the AI with the influence the AI has on you. So if you have influential on them, but they only have familiar on you, you are exerting +2 'force' on them. This is done for every other civ that has a different ideology.
If you have the same ideology: again, influence is compared, but the difference is now used to prop them up (lets call it 'defense').

Now, all of the 'force' on the civ is compared to all of the 'defense' on the civ. If force > defense, then the civ will start to suffer happiness penalties. There are different levels of this:
0 - Content (defence is equal or better than force) - 0 unhappiness
-1 - Dissidents - Highest of: 1 unhappiness/city or 1 unhappiness/10 pop
-2 - Resistance - Highest of(I think) 2/city or 1/5 pop
-3 - Revolutionary Wave - Highest of 4/city or 1/3 pop

The level corresponds to the amount of force compared to defense. If you force them below -20 unhappiness this way, their cities may start to flip to the civ with the dominant ideology. Another option is to switch ideologies, but they lose all the tenets in the old tree (I believe, not sure about that). And even swtiching might not save them, if both alternate ideologies are putting out lots of pressure.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Peas and Rice posted:

Their total tourism is 68, compared to your 6. While they may still be influential, they're exerting a significant amount of influence on you compared to what you're exerting on them, which is how public opinion on ideologies is calculated.

From what I've discovered, unless you're first to choose ideologies and have a tourism output approximately equal to your next-greatest competitor (or friendly enough relations with other civs that they'll follow you), you're usually best going with whatever the world's majority consensus is.
I was in fact first to pick. I went with order because in all my other games that's what all the civs picked :smith:

Thanks. So what are my options, music bomb a civ that's exerting more pressure on me? I'm up to 27 tourism now but everyone took anything but order so I'm getting -17 dissidents

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Defenestration posted:

Thanks. So what are my options, music bomb a civ that's exerting more pressure on me? I'm up to 27 tourism now but everyone took anything but order so I'm getting -17 dissidents
Crank up your Tourism output. Tech Refrigeration hard, then rush Radar. Hopefully you have enough Wonders in your cities to outstrip their Tourism once you have Hotels and Airports (which both exert Tourism equal to half the Culture generated by a city). If not... sorry dude, you're switching your Ideology.

Oooooooooor you could always go the Only Correct Way, tech hard into Dynamite and build three Artilleries and a single Cavalry, then kill the poo poo out Brazil and Babylon. The AI has a really hard time dealing with ranged, and that's only exacerbated when you bring Range 3 units into the equation. When you take their cities, you'll also steal all their great works. Snowballing murdertourism :getin:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 24, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dissidents isn't the end of the world and he can still hope some other cultural civs go Order and back him up. Alternative solution: Invade Brazil.

Also, I'd do the writer's culture bombs before the musicians for defensive purposes. Boosting your culture will help make sure he doesn't get any more influential.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
None of that sounds like a problem that bloodshed cannot solve.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
:( I must really be missing something with the piety tree. I'm playing on Immortal and I just don't understand how to use this tree. The opener is really only useful in the first 100 turns or so. And AIs seem to -love- going piety and I'm left picking the lovely reformation options. I've tried a stonehenge open with 2 points in tradition and then switching into piety but I still don't seem to make any headway into this tree in time to get "the good stuff".

No matter how fast I try to rush religion some yukster AI has spammed my continent with missionaries, even when they haven't taken a particularly large amount of faith perks in their religion. It just seems sort of impossible to spread it, so I dunno what I'm missing here. Anyone know how to make religion work?

Supersheep
Nov 11, 2009

Chamale posted:

Which mods? Sometimes a mod isn't properly updated after a patch, and a new one came out recently.

I think I've got it narrowed down to R.E.D, which kind of sucks, because I like the diversity.

It also happens when I play Huge World maps with 43 civs and historical starting dates, but that's only to be expected.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

The White Dragon posted:

I've warmed up to Tundra strategically if I see it near my start. It's fine if it's on a hill or with Deer, but yeah I'm pretty lukewarm about just plain Tundra crap tiles on my starter city too. On the other hand, it means that you don't have to worry about pincers from coalitions put together to stop you as your stone age war machine ramps up into high gear because even if there's someone to the north (or south) of you, fat loving chance he'll have the resources to contribute to any meaningful offensive.

Exactly. The only problem with this attitude is that there's still a bunch of goody huts in Tundra, just never on Snow.

No loving wonder I haven't gotten a single hut in the goonmrgame. My starting location was right adjacent to tundra/snow, and there wasn't even a temperate green gap between that and the desert equatorial band.

Meanwhile the guy who has ~500 turns in other games under his belt started in the green tropical belt, has a salt start, and three natural wonders in his sphere of influence :suicide:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

:( I must really be missing something with the piety tree. I'm playing on Immortal and I just don't understand how to use this tree. The opener is really only useful in the first 100 turns or so. And AIs seem to -love- going piety and I'm left picking the lovely reformation options. I've tried a stonehenge open with 2 points in tradition and then switching into piety but I still don't seem to make any headway into this tree in time to get "the good stuff".

No matter how fast I try to rush religion some yukster AI has spammed my continent with missionaries, even when they haven't taken a particularly large amount of faith perks in their religion. It just seems sort of impossible to spread it, so I dunno what I'm missing here. Anyone know how to make religion work?

Trying to spread religion is a major pain in the rear end and isn't really worth the mental effort and stress, regardless of how worth it it may be from a gameplay standpoint. It's a terrible system. The Piety tree is awful and only worth getting maybe if you're Poland and you're using all your free SPs to go Tradition/Piety. You will never be able to out-missionary the AI. They get bonus faith on higher difficulties and just poo poo out absurd numbers of missionaries and great prophets. Whenever I try to focus on religion the game just turns into an unfun slog.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
My experience has been that if you're playing above Prince you have two options with religion: Get there first, or don't bother. And getting there first requires Stonehenge, which probably isn't worth the piles and piles of hammers you could be using to build an army or useful infrastructure.

And even when focusing on religion I don't think I like taking Piety. By the time you finish off Tradition and Patronage/Aesthetics (or before) it's time to pop Rationalism, and not long after it's Ideology time.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Maybe I just had a lucky game, starting on top of a bunch of salt, with Egypt as my closest neighbour, but does anyone else think Germany is kind of overpowered now? If you get Petra and the Colossus, you can get +50% production in every city. As a money building, there's basically no reason not to build the Hanse everywhere.

I mean it's a heap of fun and all, the first time I've done a conquest victory in ages, but Bismarck was already one of the more capable AI civs before the patch. I'm terrified to face him again now.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
^ Funny, I'm not scared of Bismarck at all any more. Landsharks are (well, were) one of the roughest early game units to deal with for me because of how fast he can poo poo them out. Even Range Logistics Crossbowmen had trouble keeping up with their numbers.

Eric the Mauve posted:

My experience has been that if you're playing above Prince you have two options with religion: Get there first, or don't bother. And getting there first requires Stonehenge, which probably isn't worth the piles and piles of hammers you could be using to build an army or useful infrastructure.
I admit because early war can give you such a great snowball I usually have time to pick up ALL the Theology wonders so I'll often take the Piety starter for the Mosque. You can pick a religion up early and hope beyond hope that it spreads before your neighbors get one... or you can irreversibly infect a dozen City States in two-thirds the number of Missionaries and let the pressure do the work from there.

Still, the bonuses the AI gets to Faith is really bullshit. You need the Great Mosque just to level the playing field.

Though once I hit the mid-late game, I've usually picked up most of the policies I want (Civil Society, New Deal, the Big Three in Rationalism) that I culture up to grab the Enhancer Belief that makes it basically impossible to root out your religion. That poo poo trolls so hard.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 24, 2013

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Supersheep posted:

I think I've got it narrowed down to R.E.D, which kind of sucks, because I like the diversity.

It also happens when I play Huge World maps with 43 civs and historical starting dates, but that's only to be expected.

I built a gaming computer this summer and I've barely touched action games, I'm just running ridiculously massive games of Civ all the time. What's the name of the 43-civ map?

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

redreader posted:

trade route question:if I get something that increases all trade route gold income, for instance, does it apply immediately to existing routes, or only when the 30 turns are up and you re-choose your trade route?

also, why do you sometimes not give religious pressure when establishing a trade route?

Not certain about the first although I'm pretty sure it applies immediately. As far as religious pressure from trade routes, you're already exerting pressure on any cities within ten tiles of you (or 13 if you got Itinerant Preachers). Also, you can't exert religious pressure on the same city from multiple sources.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

I am Reverend posted:

Not certain about the first although I'm pretty sure it applies immediately. As far as religious pressure from trade routes, you're already exerting pressure on any cities within ten tiles of you (or 13 if you got Itinerant Preachers). Also, you can't exert religious pressure on the same city from multiple sources.

Is it really only ten tiles? That's pretty drat short.

Supersheep
Nov 11, 2009

Chamale posted:

I built a gaming computer this summer and I've barely touched action games, I'm just running ridiculously massive games of Civ all the time. What's the name of the 43-civ map?

I'm using Gedemon's Revolution modpack for Historical Spawn dates, and parts of the Yet (not) Another Earth Map Collection . There's a dll tweak that lets you play with all civs, but only some of them will have animated leader screens (there's also a dll fix that gives you a static image on the leader screen instead of a blank screen).

I played through a whole game of this as Egypt where I got an early religion because of Desert Folklore, and because Europe becomes pretty crowded after a while and I took itinerant preachers, I managed to spread my religion to the entire world by the end.

The only one who managed to withstand it was Gandhi, but every other Holy City had my religion as the majority, without me having to do a thing. :getin:

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

The White Dragon posted:

Crank up your Tourism output. Tech Refrigeration hard, then rush Radar. Hopefully you have enough Wonders in your cities to outstrip their Tourism once you have Hotels and Airports (which both exert Tourism equal to half the Culture generated by a city). If not... sorry dude, you're switching your Ideology.

Oooooooooor you could always go the Only Correct Way, tech hard into Dynamite and build three Artilleries and a single Cavalry, then kill the poo poo out Brazil and Babylon. The AI has a really hard time dealing with ranged, and that's only exacerbated when you bring Range 3 units into the equation. When you take their cities, you'll also steal all their great works. Snowballing murdertourism :getin:
I was ahead of you on the murdering. I took out Songhai when he backstabbed me, and when I posted that I had just finished taking out Poland next door.

Here's where it stood maybe 10 turns ago. I'm up to -18 dissidents now, but I have refrigeration and airports are on the way.

So yeah, not one bitch took order, not even the scrub civs that we have down to 1 city.

I don't have a problem necessarily with taking out Brazil but it's getting laggy in the endgame and I'm pretty sure I'll take a diplo victory when the first vote comes around in 25ish turns. Though come to think of it I have some intense happiness modifiers in my Order tree so maybe I need to...

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

quote:

So yeah, not one bitch took order, not even the scrub civs that we have down to 1 city.
I'm almost certain after leader flavor for Freedom / Autocracy / Order the main criterion is "gently caress the player" so if you go first almost no one will follow you. It's just a theory though.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
Is there any way to increase AI aggression without increasing the difficulty to such a degree that they get their BS bonuses? Aside from making everyone Attila?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Fojar38 posted:

Is there any way to increase AI aggression without increasing the difficulty to such a degree that they get their BS bonuses? Aside from making everyone Attila?

Make everyone Attila, Shaka, and Oda

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Make everyone Attila, Shaka, and Oda

Maybe Augustus. That rear end in a top hat always seems to covet my lands half a world away.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
It's probably because I play on chieftain, but I'm always buddies with Montezuma for some reason. Napoleon, Ramkhamhaeng, Sejong, Catherine The Great and especially Alexander The Great are usually dicks though. I also love how while Ramkhamhaeng's dialogue and mannerisms make him seem very humble, what he's actually saying is pretty drat arrogant.

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

Hey, would you like to trade your incredibly rare resource for 3 gold per turn and Accept Embassy? Oh whats that you don't? Well let me offer the same deal 20 loving TIMES just to make sure!

Supersheep
Nov 11, 2009

iuvian posted:

Hey, would you like to trade your incredibly rare resource for 3 gold per turn and Accept Embassy? Oh whats that you don't? Well let me offer the same deal 20 loving TIMES just to make sure!

AI won't shut up about open borders after the patch. No I'm not letting your stupid missionaries and your crappy tourism infect my glorious freedom-loving country. Go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Will refusing open borders make the AI more aggressive towards you? I've had Bismark declaring war a turn after I refused him.

• Locked thread