Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
This is a little tangential, but the author of the awesome urban fantasy series Twenty Palaces Harry Connolly is kickstarting his three book epic fantasy series and you should all totally back it.

Yeah, I know. "Books? What does this have to do with my elf games?" Okay, the reason I'm blatantly shilling this here is because in addition to several other awesome free novels that have been unlocked for every $12+ backer by stretch goals, every $30+ backer (which is five dollars more than the tier that gets you the entire three book series plus all the other books) is getting several Fate Core supplements. One to play in the (kinda awesome) world of the Kickstarted novels, one to play in the world of the other UF novel you get'll for free and, most importantly, if he gets 150 more backers, Fred Hicks and Rob Donoghue will expand the awesome Voidcallers section of the FATE Toolkit (which is already heavily inspired by Twenty Palaces) into a proper supplement with lots of additional cool poo poo and a way to explicitly run it as a Twenty Palaces game.

So yeah. I did my dance of whoredom. *awkward cough* Sorry.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Jedit posted:

Looking at it again, I really think they've done themselves no favours with their pledge levels. The boxed game costs $100 and gives Upgrades, but all the levels over $180 require you to pay $80-100 more to get Upgrades.

That's actually not true - as far as I can tell almost every level that includes the boxed game includes the upgrades, with only the 2k and 3k levels having to pay to upgrade (even though they specify they include the Ultimate Journey level which includes the upgrades, which I think is confusing. Also they're giving you frigging thousands of dollars and they gotta pay for the poo poo the base-level peons get? Ooookay.). There are some several hundred dollar levels that don't include the game, though.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Thrawn200 posted:

It's the lack of any game play information that's keeping me away for now. Unless I'm missing it somewhere I don't see hardly anything trying to sell me a GAME yet, just trying to sell me minis and components. I want to see how it plays and maybe even a look at the rule book.

I think people, including myself, need to realise that these kickstarters are trying to sell to filthy casuals. So many people who actually play board games would like a greater breakdown of the rules of the game, or would prefer to wait for reviews before purchasing the game blind. Like how Kingdom Death looked like poo poo, but sold so drat well.

It just keeps happening with so many games that have great sales, it's still a little sad each time :(

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 19, 2013

Thrawn200
Dec 13, 2008

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin & Hobbes

Wazzu posted:

I think people, including myself, need to realise that these kickstarters are trying to sell to filthy casuals. So many people who actually play board games would like a greater breakdown of the rules of the game, or would prefer to wait for reviews before purchasing the game blind. Like how Kingdom Death looked like poo poo, but sold so drat well.

It just keeps happening with so many games that have great sales, it's still a little sad each time :(

Indeed. I'm apparently a minority from how much the Kickstarter is taking off the but the gameplay demo for Mars Attacks made the game look completely boring to me. The marketing campaign looks great and everything looks bright and flashy, but I just can't bring myself to get interested in it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm backing in the forlorn hope of getting a multi-player co-op adventure game on the table where we're not curing diseases or fighting Count Strahd for the ten thousandth time.

If the game's balls, at least the models are nice.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Here's Mechabrick, a board/minis game where you use a Lego minifigure as the base to which you attach a set of add-ons to turn it into a big stompy robot and have robot battles. It's different from Mechaton in that you aren't really making your own robots so much as purchasing third-party "mech conversion kits," though you are supposed to build your own terrain out of Legos to go with it. It also sounds like it's a bit more "board game-ish" than Mechaton, playing on a defined grid rather than having free movement ala a traditional tabletop wargame.

Still, the add-on parts look pretty cool for third-party Lego add-ons and the early-bird backer tiers look like a good deal. 25 days to go and it's over half funded.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Cheapass Games has a new Kickstarter for a Kill Doctor Lucky card game.

Get Lucky

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Okay, I'd dissed Tianxia earlier in the thread because its description made it sound like just another "help me kickstart the setting of the games I run with my group", but after backing it to check the playtest document out (which is one of the most polished playtest documents ever), I've gotta say I was mistaken. The book is full of insight: the author certainly knows the wu xia genre extremely well, and they spend a lot of words on general themes of wu xia, diverse inspirations and how they apply to the game, and the topics are constructive. The rules addition for the players are modest and play to FATE Core's strengths instead of trying to make it bend backwards. The GM section has advice like suggestions on using the FATE Fractal on wu xia genre tropes, how to deal with zones to make cinematic combat, and making the setting work for you.

Extremely recommended and a very constructive addition to the short list of wu xia RPGs.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Bucnasti posted:

Get Lucky
That's a pretty good pitch video, especially if you've played Kill Doctor Lucky. Backed, but I think I've backed all of Cheapass' Kickstarters so far. I'm very happy they're making games again.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Cyphoderus posted:

Okay, I'd dissed Tianxia earlier in the thread because its description made it sound like just another "help me kickstart the setting of the games I run with my group", but after backing it to check the playtest document out (which is one of the most polished playtest documents ever), I've gotta say I was mistaken. The book is full of insight: the author certainly knows the wu xia genre extremely well, and they spend a lot of words on general themes of wu xia, diverse inspirations and how they apply to the game, and the topics are constructive. The rules addition for the players are modest and play to FATE Core's strengths instead of trying to make it bend backwards. The GM section has advice like suggestions on using the FATE Fractal on wu xia genre tropes, how to deal with zones to make cinematic combat, and making the setting work for you.

Extremely recommended and a very constructive addition to the short list of wu xia RPGs.

Sold. Thanks!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Bucnasti posted:

Get Lucky

Thanks for catching this - I'm all about multi-player card games.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Backed Get Lucky, always had an interest in the game.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Cyphoderus posted:

I think the timing is a little unfortunate, because the Jadepunk kickstarter just wrapped up. Anyone want to offer a quick rundown of what's cool about Tianxia that Jadepunk doesn't offer?

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

I didn't back Jadepunk cause a) the name ended in 'punk' (I'm snotty, yeah); b) it seemed like a bit of a mishmash of cultures; c) it's not wu xia focused. Tianxia looks like it's way more oriented towards running something around the Outlaws of the Water Margin period as opposed to the steampunk Victoriana of Jadepunk.

Put differently, from a timeline standpoint, it's like the difference between Ars Magica and Castle Falkenstein.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Has anyone received their physical copies of Ehdrigohr yet? Dude mentioned he was starting to ship them out a few weeks ago and I haven't seen sight of mine.

Just got mine today, guy did a beautiful job putting it together.

edit: Though I'm not sure why he had to print an OGL in a Fatecore book.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 22, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Games&Gears' facebook posted:

Games & Gears & Hawk Wargames announce Hawk Wargames 28mm Urban Battlefield Battle Boards. For their upcoming Games & Gears Battle Board Kickstarter

LONDON, United Kingdom, October 21, 2013 - Games & Gears has announced a custom version of their battle boards which will be created for 28mm tabletop sci-fi wargames.

This will be based on the 10mm Dropzone Commander Cityscape Battle board but at 28mm scale. The main adjustments will be: roads will be 6 inches wide and a minimum 3mm in depth compared to the pavement. 3mm is a little over 10% of the height of a 28mm miniature model, give you great realism for your war games.

The Hawk Wargames 28mm Urban Battlefield battle-boards are high quality battle boards that can be used to play any Sci-Fi miniature wargame on. More will be announced soon.

Games & Gears LLP is a producer of innovative high end designs & products for a range of niche and FMCG markets. Products include Games & Gears Gaming Boards, the Pro Studio Line & many other licensed products. Contact Games & Gears at info@gamesandgears.co.uk.

Hawk Wargames Ltd is a Wargaming company from London, created by David Lewis. After the successful launch of Dropzone Commander at Salute! in 2012, the game has gone from strength to strength, releasing new models, and most recently, a fantastic Cityscape card scenery pack and a 2 Player Starter Set, which has created a great buzz around the game. For more information about Hawk Wargames, please visit https://www.hawkwargames.com or email info@hawkwargames.com.

I'm not sure how excited to be about this, since at 28mm you're going to want to play inside of the buildings and that's not feasable with the DZC board they're basing it on. But more information and a Kickstarter should be happening ... soon.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Games & Gears and Hawk Wargames are both generous sponsors of this year's Oath thread, so I hope it winds up being something we can enthusiastically support. Games & Gears have provided a poo poo-ton of double-ended brushes (developed for a previous kickstarter, if I'm not mistaken) as weekly (!) prizes, and Hawk provided a bunch of Dropzone Commander swag for one of our grand prizes. Since G&G has previous KS experience, that should add some confidence to this one.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I have their brushes from their KS, it's a quality product.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Just got mine today, guy did a beautiful job putting it together.

edit: Though I'm not sure why he had to print an OGL in a Fatecore book.

Got my copy today also. Fate Core is supposed to be dual licensed through both CC and OGL, so there's that, but I haven't gotten to look at Ehdrigohr enough to ascertain why he went for that version.

Also got my copy of Torchbearer today. Interestingly enough, I got a bit of words written from the writer of each game early in the text. I had to wait for Torchbearer since I got the stamped tier, but it was a nice bonus to get both books in the same day. Still waiting for some other stuff due any day now, if not days ago.
----
Incidentally, got an update today about Dragon Kings. The project funded AND received independent funding for some of the music due to be released as part of it, so stretch goal amounts have been reduced.

13th Age is now available at $36,000 and Fate Core at $63,000.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Games & Gears and Hawk Wargames are both generous sponsors of this year's Oath thread, so I hope it winds up being something we can enthusiastically support.

Amen. Both them and Hawk put out some really great stuff, and the DZC Cityscape is beautiful. I'm sure they know what they're doing, but a cityscape in 28mm can be some tricky stuff. It can also be balls-out awesome since the DZC is more of a modern / near-future city with no Sci-Fi identifying marks. It would make a great table for a Cold War goes-hot Red Dawn game, 10mm Shadowrun, or Supers. I'm really curious how they're going to do with it at 28mm. (Hopefully ruins and non-enclosed structures like water towers, parking decks, basketball courts, walls, etc.)

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Bucnasti posted:

Get Lucky

I'm not sure about backing this one - to get the new card game would cost me as much as getting the board game, and while he made his comment about "turns out I'm a better board game designed now than I was 17 years ago" is there enough to get this instead? I've read over the rules to the new game, and the mechanics of spite staying with people and matching up cards with their character for both positive and negative benefits (though the narative links between the character bios, their linked motives, weapons and opportunities is dubious), but is it better than the previous line of sight mechanics? They felt cool, though they could make the game swingy, and forced the game to be suitable for only certain player numbers, while this looks like it will be much the same regardless of player count.

I'm not sure if I'm talking myself in or out of backing this, anybody else looked at the rules and had thoughts about whether this looks like a better game?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

inklesspen posted:

I think the timing is a little unfortunate, because the Jadepunk kickstarter just wrapped up. Anyone want to offer a quick rundown of what's cool about Tianxia that Jadepunk doesn't offer?

Well, for one, it's not mixing with steampunk, which as a genre is...concerned with very different things. (And if it's not being used well, ruins aesthetics with gears and goggles when they don't need to be there.)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Has anyone received their physical copies of Ehdrigohr yet? Dude mentioned he was starting to ship them out a few weeks ago and I haven't seen sight of mine.
Got mine today! Gorgeous. Mine has some cover damage, but it's nothing to freak out about; I'd do that much damage to a gaming book, too.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Has anyone who didn't go to Gencon received Hillfolk yet?

e: Cool, thanks.

moths fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 23, 2013

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Nope, but the update today said the USA/Canada books started shipping so hopefully I'll have mine soon.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

There's a new troll in the Elven Adventurers set:

I dig it a lot.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I would have preferred they made the face more similar to the other trolls, this is too "pretty" to fit well with them.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
In some of the old stories, female trolls were as beautiful as their men were ugly. Of course, in others, they were uglier.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

There's some controversy brewing in the new Shadows of Brimstone kickstarter. There's a mine cart level that gets you everything plain and simple, including all the little extra $ add-ons (past and future). But they limited each mine cart level to a mere 50 backers which a $25 bump in pricing on each subsequent round. So now there is a $150 different between round 1 mine cart and whatever the next available one is.

Has this tactic been used before or is this a new thing? Seems to have worked fairly well to their favor as they are now $170k funded after about 2 days.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Swagger Dagger posted:

There's a new troll in the Elven Adventurers set:

I dig it a lot.

This is very much in the style of Scandinavian trolls: stockier, a little bulkier, with a big mane of hair and a cow's tail. I dig it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cocks Cable posted:

There's some controversy brewing in the new Shadows of Brimstone kickstarter. There's a mine cart level that gets you everything plain and simple, including all the little extra $ add-ons (past and future). But they limited each mine cart level to a mere 50 backers which a $25 bump in pricing on each subsequent round. So now there is a $150 different between round 1 mine cart and whatever the next available one is.

Has this tactic been used before or is this a new thing? Seems to have worked fairly well to their favor as they are now $170k funded after about 2 days.

It's been used before, but I don't recall the bumps being so big or the levels so small. Normally it's $5 or $10 bumps and 100 backers per level.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
Three days left in The Dice Vault: A Handcrafted Wooden Case for Gaming Dice

I have to admit, I don't have much practical use for it, but this stuff is classy.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
It's cool, but I need way the gently caress more dice that that. I always look at those sets of single ones of each die and think 'but I need way more dice than that'.

I play 4e, which would be why. I hate rolling dice sequentially, it wastes SO much time.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They're pretty, and if I were giving someone fancy dice as a gift they'd be perfect. But they won't replace many Crown Royal bags.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Pretty much that, they look very nice, but I can't even fit one of my gamescience sets in there. :(

Really what I need is a new dice cup, and strangely, they don't make those. Weird.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Pretty much that, they look very nice, but I can't even fit one of my gamescience sets in there. :(

Really what I need is a new dice cup, and strangely, they don't make those. Weird.

I was about to say, "I only need one of each die for DCC" until I remembered that it requires a full Game Science set PLUS a d30.

Cheneybeast
Dec 19, 2012

I received my copy of CENTERPIECE this week. It contained the following note, crumple up in the shipping envelope.

Hello new CENTERPIECE owner

Just want to share a note about CENTERPIECE. Follow the rules carefully when first starting to play. Friend Dave S and I would play again and again. You will too after seeing how it all works.

We even starting paying
(sic) an off-the-board-roll-fine of five feathers. The game board like a new book, and will lie flat after being broken in.

After your game-chips lands on the DIVIDE your game-parts. The no/rest circles have to be followed, just move that game-piece. It helps speed-up your game, because other game piece stay put.

With the right combination of rolls a player can circle the board. Be fair what happens to one player, becomes the rule for the next time it happens. It's all part of the FUN!

Thanks Dan M

No, thank YOU, Dan M.

I'd like to post pictures and rules later, but since it didn't fund on KS (I got mine off eBay) I'm not sure what thread it belongs in. Fatal & Friends?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Obviously it should get its own thread.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
November's stickied thread, obviously. Centerpiece - An off-the-board-roll-fine of five feathers has been applied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

That doesn't need to be "sic"ed, and indeed the sic makes it harder to read. They have started paying a fine of five feathers for rolls that go off the board.

• Locked thread