Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
I asked when I took ownership of my MS3, but it's really bugging me... Is there supposed to be some kind of plastic in the wheel well? My last car had some, but it just seems like protected metal on this car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I realize this will swing wildly across individual cars in various states of disrepair, but what sort of mileage can I expect from a 10 year old 2003 Protege5? Probably looking at a 5speed, but I wouldn't mind hearing from anyone who has an automatic either. I guess I'm looking for anecdotal evidence rather than empirical numbers. Just trying to get a feel.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

For what it's worth, my Mazdaspeed Protege got around 21mpg mostly city driving. On a couple road trips I got around 28. Not exactly a gas saver, but the car makes up for it in character, the Speeds and 5s both have a pretty great suspension setup compared to the base models.

Your should at least be a bit better since it's N/A. Probably low to mid 30s highway.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Got around 28mpg highway in my ex's 2002 Protege ES auto.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Related yet unrelated: I've been surprised I only get 26-28 mpg hwy in my 2011 3 hatch, was expecting a bit more (have only really started doing serious driving here recently, 100+ miles per day, basically all highway)

Also, is there any decent fix for a better connection with the aux audio input? The guy at the dealer kind of shrugged at me when I asked but I play music almost exclusively off my phone and have had nothing but problems with it, static/sound loss/etc - the cord seems to be the biggest issue but I don't want to have to keep buying cords, seems silly

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
There's no ground isolation on the aux input, so be careful if you plug it into a charger at the same time.

I can get 32 MPG on highway driving in my 3 hatchback if I stick the cruise at 70 and there's not too many hills to deal with. But most of the time it winds up in the 29 area with any real elevation changes.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

kefkafloyd posted:

There's no ground isolation on the aux input, so be careful if you plug it into a charger at the same time.

I can get 32 MPG on highway driving in my 3 hatchback if I stick the cruise at 70 and there's not too many hills to deal with. But most of the time it winds up in the 29 area with any real elevation changes.

I'm surprised it's not higher. I typically get 29-31 in my 6 when I'm sticking to the highway. My highest tank was almost 33. Are the 3's geared lower?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Looking online they seam to have similar ratios (comparing auto to auto, manual to manual, etc.), might just be that old trick where larger, torquey-er motors can cruise with less throttle, so they sometimes use less gas.

That's assuming you have the V6. If not, it might just boil down to the 3 being smaller, lighter and more prone to... spirited driving.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Fucknag posted:

Looking online they seam to have similar ratios (comparing auto to auto, manual to manual, etc.), might just be that old trick where larger, torquey-er motors can cruise with less throttle, so they sometimes use less gas.

That's assuming you have the V6. If not, it might just boil down to the 3 being smaller, lighter and more prone to... spirited driving.

I have the 4-cylinder and generally drive like a jackass. 29-31mpg is strictly highway tough..65-80mph.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

So the diff mount bolts sheared off on my MS6 again. What the hell? I baby this thing, never get into boost less than 2500 rpm and never launch the thing because I know it results in asplosions. Hopefully extended warranty covers the bolt extraction again. Considering selling it after fixing it and joining the roundel crew so I can complain about cooling system problems instead.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

SynMoo posted:

Got around 28mpg highway in my ex's 2002 Protege ES auto.

That is similar to what I get with the same car now.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Good luck! It looks like the dealers around here just got flooded with 2014s.

Ended up realizing that I liked the 2013 much better and got a great deal as a result. I hadn't really paid attention to cars since I was happy with my old Protege but ended up needing to replace it recently.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Come on Mazda just release a new Speed3! I'm loving the looks of all the 2014s I see but none are stupid enough to purchase.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

DeesGrandpa posted:

Come on Mazda just release a new Speed3! I'm loving the looks of all the 2014s I see but none are stupid enough to purchase.

I dunno, I kind of like having one of the last Interceptor V8s or whatever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Corksport has finished their MZR HP Fuel Pump and preorders for the first batch go live in a week. Limited first run with the promise of more in 2014. It's only $349 so I'm doing it.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

kefkafloyd posted:

There is actually a TSB about that for my Mazda5. The TSB informs the service dept to relay to the customer that if the noise bothers them, to either charge the phone or listen to music through it, but not both at the same time.

Anyway, there is a nifty hack out there to combine a Bluetooth headset and aux tape, seems it wouldn't be too difficult to just change the output from aux tape to a male 3.5 TRS.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I'm thinking of picking up a 2014 Mazda 3 fully loaded. Am I an idiot for spending this much on a car with a ~15k base price?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

trouser chili posted:

There is actually a TSB about that for my Mazda5. The TSB informs the service dept to relay to the customer that if the noise bothers them, to either charge the phone or listen to music through it, but not both at the same time.

Yeah, which is bullshit. I never had the problem on my iPhones (different circuitry) but my old video iPod was awful. The ground loop could be easily fixed (make the power and aux not share a common ground) but that would cost your favorite local mazda dealer a half an hour worth of time and a dollar's worth of parts. It's very anti-customer.

quote:

I'm thinking of picking up a 2014 Mazda 3 fully loaded. Am I an idiot for spending this much on a car with a ~15k base price?

Nope, it's a very rad car, though I would rather spend the money on a Mazda 6 if I didn't want/need/like hatchbacks. 25K on the Mazda 6 buys you a lot of car, and 30K even moreso.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Kraftwerk posted:

If you buy it, take some picks of how the HUD works.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

I've just gone and picked up a base model 2011 Mazda 3 Neo with around 30k kms. After driving a lovely Mitsubishi Mirage for the last year I'm sure it's a bit of a step up.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
Hello,
So I just bought my first new car, a 2014 Deep Crystal Blue Mica Mazda3 4-door Touring w/Tech Package.
I figured I post some pictures and if anyone had any questions about the car I'd be more than happy to answer.
Now I just bought the car Saturday, but so far I love it, the 2.0L engine has a good mix of power and efficiency, and it handles great.
The Mazdaconnect Infotainment system works pretty well, but I have yet to try all the features thoroughly.
For context I am coming from a 2004 Chevy Impala LS, which I drove for close to 6 years, I loved that car, but it was big, guzzled gas, and it was time for a change.
Let me know if anyone wants a picture of something specific, and I'll try to get it.

direspoon
Jul 8, 2006

Is that a spoon around your neck, or are you just happy to see me?

That blue sedan is gorgeous. I recently bought a white sGT hatchback myself, so I can answer some basic questions about the higher trim if anyone's curious.

Franco Caution posted:

If you buy it, take some picks of how the HUD works.

It's just a little reflective tile that pops up when you turn the car on. You can adjust the angle up and down so it's visible wherever you have your seat positioned.

It displays your speed all the time. When you engage cruise control it'll show an indicator for a little while along with the speed it's set. When you're using navigation it'll give you prompts in time with the voiceover, like a little arrow pointing to the left along with 0.5m.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

direspoon posted:

That blue sedan is gorgeous. I recently bought a white sGT hatchback myself, so I can answer some basic questions about the higher trim if anyone's curious.

It's just a little reflective tile that pops up when you turn the car on. You can adjust the angle up and down so it's visible wherever you have your seat positioned.

It displays your speed all the time. When you engage cruise control it'll show an indicator for a little while along with the speed it's set. When you're using navigation it'll give you prompts in time with the voiceover, like a little arrow pointing to the left along with 0.5m.

How comfortable are the seats? I'm considering one that would be mostly for commuting in freeway traffic.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

shoophobo posted:

2014 Blue Mazda

How much space does the glove compartment have? I read that the doors don't have storage space besides the cup holders and the driver seat doesn't have a pocket on the back, so I'm trying to get a handle of where I could toss a bunch of papers/maps and stuff.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

Fallen Rib

Dustoph posted:

How comfortable are the seats? I'm considering one that would be mostly for commuting in freeway traffic.
Well I'm a fat rear end and I was worried that the seats would be too small, but they are comfortable for me, and very supportive. YMMV of course. They have very thick bolsters and really keep you in place. With all that said I have not been in the seat for longer than 30 minutes, but I am going on a 4-5 hour long trip in a few weeks, I can report back then.

gwrtheyrn posted:

How much space does the glove compartment have? I read that the doors don't have storage space besides the cup holders and the driver seat doesn't have a pocket on the back, so I'm trying to get a handle of where I could toss a bunch of papers/maps and stuff.
That is correct, there is no storage space in the doors and the center console is quite a small box. There is a map pocket on the back of the passenger seat, but like you said none on the drivers. To me that's not too big of a deal since it would be hard to reach anyway. As for the glovebox it's not too bad, nice and deep, I'll see if I can take some pics later to show you.
EDIT:
eh I went out and took pictures now. Please excuse the lovely quality, my phone's camera stinks and I was parked in the sun.

Here is the glovebox empty.

And here it is with the Owner's Manual, a standard envelope with some documents and a small spiral notebook.
There is still some space to spare, not too much but for a compact car not bad.

here is the center console, its a deep but still pretty small compared to my old car. Not pictured is a small sliding tray meant for an iPod or other small electronic. I took it out since it just took up space for me.

Here is the cup holder in the door, officially they are meant for bottled drinks. By the way, the cup holders on the center console stink, they are way too wide, a goon mentioned a device the could fit in it to make them smaller, that sounds like a great idea. Why Mazda did not place those little fingers (like this http://imgur.com/KfRq233) that move to fit cup sizes is beyond me.

Overall the storage seems to be okay, My only comparison is my old car; a full size Impala and my mom's 2013 VW Jetta GLI, which seems to have more storage places.
Sorry for the long edit, let me know if anyone has more questions/pic requests.

shoophobo fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 29, 2013

direspoon
Jul 8, 2006

Is that a spoon around your neck, or are you just happy to see me?

Dustoph posted:

Seats are pretty nice. I've taken a couple of two hour trips and not had any complaints regarding them. The adjustable lumbar support is awesome.

However, the location of the fuse box near my left foot has bothered me a little. I'm not very tall, and in my old car I was used to having my legs splayed out pretty far. The way the fuse box encroaches on my left leg kind of bothers my knee a little bit, just because it can't sit all the way out to the side that it wants to. Part of that is just getting used to a new car, but I definitely wish it was somewhere more out of the way. Something to look at on a test drive; everybody's different.

Regarding storage space, I haven't found anything lacking. The bottle holder in the door fits my giant insulated thermos perfectly, which is too big for the cup holders in the middle.

In the glove compartment I have a bunch of stuff from the dealership, the manual, a decent-size rag to wipe up the interior, an E-ZPass... that all fits fine with room to spare.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

Fallen Rib

direspoon posted:

location of the fuse box near my left foot has bothered me a little. I'm not very tall, and in my old car I was used to having my legs splayed out pretty far. The way the fuse box encroaches on my left leg kind of bothers my knee a little bit, just because it can't sit all the way out to the side that it wants to. Part of that is just getting used to a new car, but I definitely wish it was somewhere more out of the way.
Totally agree, I have the same problem. It just seems like a weird spot for a fuse box.

Is there anyplace in particular (besides the dealership) you guys get your accessories and parts?
I'm looking to get the official Mazda rubber all-weather mats http://parts.arlingtonmazda.com/products/ALL-WEATHER-MAT-%280000%252d8B%252dL82%29.html
Does any one have them? Or any of the new 2014 accessories? I'd like to know what you think.
Anyway I emailed the parts department at my dealership, they wanted $100 + shipping and tax for the mats. I've seen them on ebay and shops like the above link for around $95-100 including shipping, not saving too much but at least it'd save me a trip to the dealer.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK so my budget has kind of increased and I'm still interested in a Mazda hatchback so I'm probably going to be going from a Protege5 to a Mazda 3.

I hate to sound like I'm putting the cart before the horse and looking at upgrading internals already, but I do a LOT of commuting every week and I need a good GPS, so I thought -- hey, why not get a GPS head unit for the 3. Problem is I loathe stereos that stick out like a sore thumb. So I'm looking for something that looks relatively OEM and has GPS built in.

Has anyone had any experience with any head units like the Eonons? Basically I'd love for it to look like it belongs in the car. I think there was an actual OEM GPS option in the 3 but I'll be damned if I can find a single used car with that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Martytoof posted:

OK so my budget has kind of increased and I'm still interested in a Mazda hatchback so I'm probably going to be going from a Protege5 to a Mazda 3.

I hate to sound like I'm putting the cart before the horse and looking at upgrading internals already, but I do a LOT of commuting every week and I need a good GPS, so I thought -- hey, why not get a GPS head unit for the 3. Problem is I loathe stereos that stick out like a sore thumb. So I'm looking for something that looks relatively OEM and has GPS built in.

Has anyone had any experience with any head units like the Eonons? Basically I'd love for it to look like it belongs in the car. I think there was an actual OEM GPS option in the 3 but I'll be damned if I can find a single used car with that.

I have a friend with the Navigation package in his 2006 and it's terrible. You'd want to upgrade anyways. Can't you just get a Garmin or something?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I have a friend with the Navigation package in his 2006 and it's terrible. You'd want to upgrade anyways. Can't you just get a Garmin or something?

Well I mean if it comes to that I'll just keep using my iPhone for Nav. Not to beat around the bush, I just like the way a clean, built-in GPS looks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Martytoof posted:

Well I mean if it comes to that I'll just keep using my iPhone for Nav. Not to beat around the bush, I just like the way a clean, built-in GPS looks.

Be aware, if the car you buy has a factory BOSE system upgrading will be a huge bitch. The HU is tied into the climate controls as well as the trip OD.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ahh, see that's the kind of stuff that's good to know, thanks!

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

shoophobo posted:

Totally agree, I have the same problem. It just seems like a weird spot for a fuse box.

Is there anyplace in particular (besides the dealership) you guys get your accessories and parts?
I'm looking to get the official Mazda rubber all-weather mats http://parts.arlingtonmazda.com/products/ALL-WEATHER-MAT-%280000%252d8B%252dL82%29.html
Does any one have them? Or any of the new 2014 accessories? I'd like to know what you think.
Anyway I emailed the parts department at my dealership, they wanted $100 + shipping and tax for the mats. I've seen them on ebay and shops like the above link for around $95-100 including shipping, not saving too much but at least it'd save me a trip to the dealer.

I have the all weathers for my mazda5 because weather tech and husky dont make the digitalfit ones for 2006. My 2012 speed 3 has the weathertechs. I hands down prefer weathertechs even though they are far more expensive.

Though it looks like the weathertechs dont exist yet for 2014. Bummer

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 30, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Martytoof posted:

Ahh, see that's the kind of stuff that's good to know, thanks!

Take that money you were going to spend on the HU, buy a nice dash mount for your phone and put the rest back towards the car.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Anyone replace their horn? Could use a recommendation and I see a bunch of potential replacements I can get through Amazon. Almost found out the hard way this morning that I don't have a working one anymore when I got cut off :aaa:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I've had a pair of Hella supertones for a while. Moved them over from my old car. Very very loud, assuming you relay them directly to the battery so they get full power.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Check your fuse?

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Hello, AIers!

I will be in the market for a car shortly, and I think I want a first generation Mazdaspeed3. Anything I should pay special attention to when looking at them, or a year to avoid?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

doogle
May 24, 2003

MetaJew posted:

I discovered today that my 235 series Hankook Ventuses on 17x8 RPF1s rub the at the very least on my driver side rear fender lip. I had some passengers and hit a bump and heard something scrape. When we got to our destination and I looked at the tire, it had some bits of rubber shaved off on the very edge of the tread, but no sidewall.

I think I either need to get my fenders rolled or figure out how to do it myself, but I don't want to screw anything up. And, I have stock suspension so I didn't think I would have to do this. :(

How much should I expect to pay, or do you all have success stories on rolling your own fenders?

You can roll your own fenders but I would recommend that you get a real fender rolling tool (like http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/Roller_Tool/ES2682242/), a heat gun, and an IR thermometer to do it properly. If you only need to do one car I would just take it to someone, around here (North Carolina) it is usually around $50/fender.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Comradephate posted:

Hello, AIers!

I will be in the market for a car shortly, and I think I want a first generation Mazdaspeed3. Anything I should pay special attention to when looking at them, or a year to avoid?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Go 2008.5 and up. Much nicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Not to mention the oil blow-by issue that they fixed in the 2008.5. A friend has a 2008 MS3, and he has cardboard taped to the garage floor and wall of his new house, it's hilarious how much oil is spit out onto it.