Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

This is the greatest summary of the thread that's ever been made anywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Well, I'm sure he wanted to remove all those episodes which painted the Ferengi as not possessing genitals which provide insane amounts of pleasure to human women.

Thanks God, at least DS9 is safe.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Oh god, Vic Mignogna as Kirk?

I don't even know how to feel...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Trent posted:

I always heard that TAS was non-cannon because of the Ringworld crossover species business.
I thought they were going to do a Kzinti episode if Enterprise had hit a fifth season.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Sanguinia posted:

Oh god, Vic Mignogna as Kirk?

I don't even know how to feel...

Jamie Bamber shows up as a redshirt, too. I'm so confused.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Mr. Jive posted:

Jamie Bamber shows up as a redshirt, too. I'm so confused.

He better be in a fat suit.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

gently caress it. TAS is canon. I mean, the original actors did the voices. And the official Star Trek site says that Lieutenant M'Ress' species, the Catians, are related to the K'zin in the same way that Vulcans are related to the Romulans. If you don't like it, then a double dumb-rear end on you!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Wait, you guys actually visit the official website?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I actually just did today because someone earlier in the thread mentioned something about TAS being part of the website.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Armin Shimerman once brought a party of twelve to Quark's Bar in Star Trek: The Experience and the management comped the entire bill. :allears:

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.

I used to post on the official forums before I found this thread :saddowns:

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In the year 1012260, the crew of the Mega-Federation starship USS UberEnterprise (NCC-1701-∞), under joint command of James T. Kirk and Jean-Luc Picard, after nearly a million years of exploring most of the universe, at long last encounters the Milky Way Galaxy in the Bootes Void, millions of light-years from where it should exist in this time. Most of the crew is happy at this, but Data, who has not left his quarters in five thousand years, has become something of a crazy hermit, and acting as if their mission is useless.

Yolocaust Denier
Oct 23, 2013

by Pipski
Anyone know if there is a way to objectively find out who has the shiniest head between Picard and Sisko?
Its a pivotal point in the story I am writing involving a Romulan assassination plot.

JJ trek isnt so bad, at least he did a better job than the TNG movies but admittedly that is a pretty low bar.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Ralp posted:

In the year 1012260, the crew of the Mega-Federation starship USS UberEnterprise (NCC-1701-∞), under joint command of James T. Kirk and Jean-Luc Picard, after nearly a million years of exploring most of the universe, at long last encounters the Milky Way Galaxy in the Bootes Void, millions of light-years from where it should exist in this time. Most of the crew is happy at this, but Data, who has not left his quarters in five thousand years, has become something of a crazy hermit, and acting as if their mission is useless.

You seem to be forgetting something

Memory Gamma posted:

The USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-JFAZW) was a Shatner-class Federation starship commanded by Dark Admiral Jean-Luc Hyperriker. It was commissioned in the year 14205, the 4,201,337th Federation ship to bear the name Enterprise. (Star Trek: Paradigms)

In 14205 the Enterprise-JFAZW went back in time to 2364, an incident which ended up with its crew being fused with the crew of the Enterprise-D, causing many of the crewmembers to become mixtures of crewmembers from both Enterprises. For example, Dark Admiral Wil Hyperriker (most probably a descendant of Will Riker from the Enterprise-D) was mixed with Jean-Luc Picard, and the new captain of the Enterprise-JFAZW became Jean-Luc Hyperriker.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Ralp posted:

I always thought this was a cool story. :shrug:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yolocaust Denier posted:

Anyone know if there is a way to objectively find out who has the shiniest head between Picard and Sisko?
Its a pivotal point in the story I am writing involving a Romulan assassination plot.

Picard had more opportunities to stand in shiny locations, which meant there was more light for his head to reflect. Sisko rarely had such opportunities, but he still managed to have an aesthetically pleasing sheen to his cranium. In light (har har) of these circumstances, I must make it a points decision to the Emissary.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

I had a long post typed up about how much I dislike this, but I'm kind of partial to the Jamie Bamber redshirt cameo (and perfunctory redshirt gruesome death).

Still, lots of things I hate, and it's basically almost all the actors. Kirk's voice is too high, McCoy's voice is too high, Spock looks like he's about 20 years too young, Sulu is trying too hard to sound like George Takei circa-2013, Marina Sirtis' computer voice is not autistic enough, Uhura looks like a Glee reject AND they got her hair wrong, Chekov has the laziest accent ever, ugh.

I would have liked this a lot more if it wasn't trying to be the Enterprise and was some other ship with different characters, because the production looks tremendous despite a few technical flaws.

Yolocaust Denier
Oct 23, 2013

by Pipski

Vagabundo posted:

Picard had more opportunities to stand in shiny locations, which meant there was more light for his head to reflect. Sisko rarely had such opportunities, but he still managed to have an aesthetically pleasing sheen to his cranium. In light (har har) of these circumstances, I must make it a points decision to the Emissary.

Yeah I suppose you're right.

They shouldve got Michael Fassbender to be Kirk in the new movies, the guy in that remake kinda looks like him.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Luigi Thirty posted:

You seem to be forgetting something

THAT'LL BE THE DAY!!

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Is that the thing where the Enterprise jams itself up Bashir's rear end?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, that was goofy as hell.

Granted, the Thrawn and X-Wing books are fun, but they're the only parts of the Star Wars EU I even like to acknowledge.

I kind of feel like when a sci-fi writer's career is down the toilet and they have no shame, they just publish crappy Star Wars \ Star Trek fan fiction, or turn their D&D campaigns into mediocre high fantasy novels.

The Star Wars EU really took a nose dive once everybody switched publishers. The original publisher (Bantam) had most of the books actually worth reading (X-Wing series, Thrawn, the Han Solo series, I, Jedi) as well as a bunch of mediocre (Corellian Trilogy, Black Feet Crisis, Jedi Academy series) or terrible novels (Darksaber, Courtship of Princess Leia). Once Del Ray got the publishing license, they immediately released Vector Prime(and I mean it's the second book that they published besides the 1970's Han Solo series/1980's Lando series) kicked off the whole Vong storyline and killed Chewbacca. Anything not part of the Vong storyline is usually a tie-in of some sort, either prequels or games or comics. It's interesting from the perspective that almost all Star Wars media gets rewritten to accommodate the novels (Revan leaves the Galactic Core in KOTOR to deal with scouts of the Vong, Palpatine becomes emperor and creates because he knows that the Vong are coming and wants to be strong) but a lot of the Vong novels are grim-dark, horribly written, or both.

The most hilarious thing that Del Ray did was poo poo all over Bantam's New Republic idea as the successor to the Empire by having that completely collapse as a consequence of the Vong and be conquered by the Imperial Remnants.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Oct 24, 2013

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Hyperriker posted:

someone will do a Month of Beard and a Month of Bij again. Holy gently caress those were great.

You're welcome, fuckers :smuggo:

I avoid CD like the plague because it's full of those post modern death of the author "well the movie might be about playing baseball but I think it's about INSERT NONSENSE HERE" sorts of clowns, do they honestly like Star Trek: Into Theatres For Money? It'd been ages since I'd seen a theatre tear into a movie as a whole unit like that.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DeclaredYuppie posted:

You're right, I meant to say shaky-cam and totally flubbed.

To be fair, Firefly did the shaky cam and snap zoom, and did them well.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Paper Lion posted:

I avoid CD like the plague because it's full of those post modern death of the author "well the movie might be about playing baseball but I think it's about INSERT NONSENSE HERE" sorts of clowns, do they honestly like Star Trek: Into Theatres For Money? It'd been ages since I'd seen a theatre tear into a movie as a whole unit like that.
Remember when the first JJ Abrams movie came out, and if you hated the way it shat all over the franchise you were basically Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons and hated fun?

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Paper Lion posted:

You're welcome, fuckers :smuggo:

There's about 50/50 between people who are actually identifying its insane number of problems and hammering out why they don't like it, only for the responses to be 'waaah waaah i liked it so if you don't like it you clearly don't like fun. star trek is clearly just this one thing that happened one time and not many things to many people'

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hyperriker posted:

There's about 50/50 between people who are actually identifying its insane number of problems and hammering out why they don't like it, only for the responses to be 'waaah waaah i liked it so if you don't like it you clearly don't like fun. star trek is clearly just this one thing that happened one time and not many things to many people'

Hey mate, just because your cricket team is poo poo is no reason to take out your frustrations on the most recent movie.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

I guess I just fundamentally don't understand how they're trying to repackage Trek. Keeping something's absolute core values the same and some very specific face value things while changing the rest of it is the key to success, so why did they totally change the core and some of the face value? How did they gently caress up that badly?

Also pee pee doo doo bad script/acting/technically shat the bed blah blah blah we all know the drill on that.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

My understanding was that James Blish was actually on hard times and was basically slumming just to get by, and normally wouldn't have deigned to crank out Star Trek. He also did the adaptations of the Animated Series.

I just finished it last night and yeah, that's definitely the vibe I got. Spock Must Die! would have been bad if not for its sheer competence. It was forgettable, but I don't really regret throwing away the whole two hours it took to read it.

Blish had some strange ways of characterizing Uhura though, referring to her "Bantu" good looks and her "thick African laughter." I don't even know what that's supposed to mean.

The Dark One posted:

Armin Shimerman once brought a party of twelve to Quark's Bar in Star Trek: The Experience and the management comped the entire bill. :allears:

I went to Star Trek: The Experience when I was 15 and Quark's was basically empty save for like three guys who were apparently regulars. It was a little sad.

At least they were keepin' it warm for Morn.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

The Dark One posted:

That doesn't really seem appropriate for the setting.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Party Plane Jones posted:

The most hilarious thing that Del Ray did was poo poo all over Bantam's New Republic idea as the successor to the Empire by having that completely collapse as a consequence of the Vong and be conquered by the Imperial Remnants.

My understanding of this stuff is that DelRey is just publishing the books, it's LucasBooks who actually devises the storylines and manages the EU.

Having Palpatine create the Empire to fight the Vong is, like, okay, I guess. The timeframe was close enough that, okay, again, I guess that's okay as like an aside in a "no one destroys the Republic but the Sith!" way. But Revan? The actual books establish the Vong as having first started scouting the galaxy only around the time Anakin was a kid, Revan was what, ten thousand years earlier? :mad:

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Trickjaw posted:

That doesn't really seem appropriate for the setting.

Quark bringing a crowd to a bar and not paying a single strip of gold-pressed latinum because he's convinced the establishment his presence is good for them is perfect

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A Chinese friend of mine is really into Star Trek... Into Darkness. He keeps asking questions about Star Trek now. I want to give him stuff to watch/talk about without saying that I think STID is kind of a bad movie. But... the shows with Chinese subs? Bwa?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hyperriker posted:

Quark bringing a crowd to a bar and not paying a single strip of gold-pressed latinum because he's convinced the establishment his presence is good for them is perfect

Truth.

When I was there Quark's was deserted :(

I was hoping to play Dabo or dom-jot

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

But not Pareese's Squares? You loving racist.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Arglebargle III posted:

A Chinese friend of mine is really into Star Trek... Into Darkness. He keeps asking questions about Star Trek now. I want to give him stuff to watch/talk about without saying that I think STID is kind of a bad movie. But... the shows with Chinese subs? Bwa?

If its been translated into Chinese, give him a copy of the Lost in Space movie. If not, just shine a strobe light in his eyes while making "pew pew" sounds.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Trent posted:

Truth.

When I was there Quark's was deserted :(

I was hoping to play Dabo or dom-jot

Yeah me too, maybe not deserted, but just a couple guys at the bar. I know the whole Star Trek The Experience thing is shut down, but did they keep anything from Quark's bar? I feel like they could have at least just left it in there.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Apple Jax posted:

Yeah me too, maybe not deserted, but just a couple guys at the bar. I know the whole Star Trek The Experience thing is shut down, but did they keep anything from Quark's bar? I feel like they could have at least just left it in there.

The bar was pretty underwhelming, honestly. They could have made it pretty much an exact replica of the show's bar only bigger, instead it's just a normal sports bar with a weird-looking menu of overpriced, gimmicky foods, surrounded by a bunch of Treknerd stores, with a giant 1701-A hanging over it.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Hyperriker posted:

Then again, I thought the movie was great and doesn't have nearly the number of issues people claim it has. And I typically line up with this thread's general tastes in Trek, so...

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Having Palpatine create the Empire to fight the Vong is, like, okay, I guess. The timeframe was close enough that, okay, again, I guess that's okay as like an aside in a "no one destroys the Republic but the Sith!" way. But Revan? The actual books establish the Vong as having first started scouting the galaxy only around the time Anakin was a kid, Revan was what, ten thousand years earlier? :mad:

The mysterious asteroid that Canderous Ordo shot at (which he recalls in one of KoToR talks with him) was a scout ship that woke up, murdered the absolute crap of his troops, and then high-tailed it out of the galaxy to meet up with the fleet with him in pursuit. Vong were an extra-galactic invasion force so it took millenia to get to the Star Wars galaxy apparently.

The Outbound Flight project was sabotaged by Palpatine partially because it was going out in the direction that the Vong were invading from and he didn't want them captured (but mainly so he could kill a dozen Jedi).

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Drone posted:

The bar was pretty underwhelming, honestly. They could have made it pretty much an exact replica of the show's bar only bigger, instead it's just a normal sports bar with a weird-looking menu of overpriced, gimmicky foods, surrounded by a bunch of Treknerd stores, with a giant 1701-A hanging over it.

Yeah, the menu did suck and the food was lovely. I remember sitting at a booth there and it had one of those borg circular light jazz things hanging next to it and it kinda just looked slapped on--what the hell is this thing doing in Quark's bar? Also, I went 11 years ago and was underaged at the time so I couldn't even order a drink :mad:

• Locked thread