Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I don't think they wrote it, no. It's worth a watch, but it isn't very funny.
nope, it's pretty much written by the foreign office.

"state-sponsored satire" in the words of Craig Murray (former ambassador to Uzbekistan, shafted by the UK gov for refusing to turn a blind eye to our glourious allies there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's written by the guy who wrote Rev, with a lot of asking around the FO for anecdotes. Apparently they told him that the UK would scupper a trade deal due to human rights concerns.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's written by the guy who wrote Rev, with a lot of asking around the FO for anecdotes. Apparently they told him that the UK would scupper a trade deal due to human rights concerns.

POD seemed pretty angry with the Ambassador for that. I took the joke as "aahaha wouldn't it be nice if the govt weren't complete monsters"

Next week has The Fucker in, so whatever doubts I have, I'll be watching.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
It did seem very kid-gloves. I was hoping for some satire in my satire.

I didn't find anything in it particularly objectionable, though. And will probably watch next week as well, because that fellow is in it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Is The Fucker in character or is it the guy who plays The Fucker?

This is important. He coming to your town.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
The show is scarily accurate at points. My father was a diplomat, the Skype conversation was basically me and my parents about ten years ago (but without Skype, obviously).

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Just finished watching Ambassadors, I think that was the first time that I have ever found Mitchell and Webb funny.
Really liked it, kinda found it like a reverse Thick Of It. Were the characters are fairly competent but the situation is so hosed.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Uhhh loving hell, I thought you must be exaggerating but I just read the episode guide on wikipedia:

Following the conclusion of Season 4, Barman Alex recovers in hospital after a lung transplant. Alex is confronted by a woman who informs him that, as his new lung comes from a super powered individual, he now has the ability to remove the powers of others through sexual intercourse. The woman wishes for Alex to have sex with her, as the storm has made her unnaturally accident prone. Finn is attacked by a group of scouts who turn out to be agents of Satan and, after killing the scout leader the next day, he himself is possessed. Finn manages to possess Abbey, both Rudys and finally Jess. Alex manages to knock out Finn and then engages in anal sex with him, his new power removing the Satanic presence from Finn and the others.

:stare:

This was far far funnier than the spoiler gives it credit for

LeeDless
Mar 28, 2010
The old Misfits thread died. Anybody want to make a new one?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

LeeDless posted:

The old Misfits thread died. Anybody want to make a new one?

I'll post in it if someone makes it, as long as people dont spend the whole season debating if Rudy is a lovely Nathan rip off

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

Taff posted:

I'll post in it if someone makes it, as long as people dont spend the whole season debating if Rudy is a lovely Nathan rip off

I still like the show and if episode 1 was anything to go by I'm sure there'll be lots to discuss, so I'll echo that sentiment.

Also the Rudys are awesome and I will not hear otherwise :colbert:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
David Frost's documentary on satire is back on iPlayer for a couple more days. I found it really interesting as well as funny, and it's still weird seeing young David Frost looking very much like young Steve Coogan, as well as the embarrassingly bad things politicians would say 50 years ago (and would not be forced to apologize for)

the_cow_fan
May 12, 2008
I found the last episode of 'Educating Yorkshire' very touching, especially the ending. It just goes to show Channel 4 can put out some great TV, ofcourse they then followed it up with a thrilling documentary about drunks in a minicab office.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

BizarroAzrael posted:

David Frost's documentary on satire is back on iPlayer for a couple more days. I found it really interesting as well as funny, and it's still weird seeing young David Frost looking very much like young Steve Coogan, as well as the embarrassingly bad things politicians would say 50 years ago (and would not be forced to apologize for)

Is that the thing narrated by Stephen Fry or is this something else? Because that documentary about him was pretty decent.

Edit: Got it, http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00srhgn/Frost_on_Satire/

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It is a drat good watch, see it.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Ohh yeah, I happened on that a couple of years ago, it's great.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

the_cow_fan posted:

I found the last episode of 'Educating Yorkshire' very touching, especially the ending. It just goes to show Channel 4 can put out some great TV,

Yeah that last episode was brilliant, but the whole series has been great. All three head teachers are amazing at what they do.

the_cow_fan posted:

ofcourse they then followed it up with a thrilling documentary about drunks in a minicab office.

Last week they followed Educating Yorkshire with some documentary about life in a nightclub toilet. I imagine it was as bad as it sounds.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I imagine it was as bad as it sounds.

It was awesome.

Freshen up your pu-na-ni!

The one about the minicab office was somewhat marred by my burning hatred for the taxi controller woman. But then, I hate pretty much every taxi controller ever, so I guess that's not the show's fault.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Alternative ending to Great British Bake Off:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0pGTRq-vKM

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

the_cow_fan posted:

I found the last episode of 'Educating Yorkshire' very touching, especially the ending. It just goes to show Channel 4 can put out some great TV, ofcourse they then followed it up with a thrilling documentary about drunks in a minicab office.

I quite liked the bouncers show they had on a couple of weeks ago, it was a bit more than "look drunk people on telly" which must have have been pitched at meetings relentlessly the past year it seems.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Did anyone see Naomi Campbell on Jonathan Ross tonight? I found her quite unlikeable, but then again, between the blood diamonds and assault,I didn't expect much.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

No. gently caress no. loving gently caress no.

"The Revolution Will Be Televised" has been renewed.

The most self-important, masturbatory, pseudo-intellectual dross that's ever been created for television is coming back. It's the televisual equipment of a vegan fresher in a Che Guevara shirt.

I think I dislike it more than poo poo like Badults, because it genuinely seems to think it's doing good, when all it is is pointing out "Most people are interested in things beyond politics AND THIS IS SOMEHOW A TERRIBLE THING".

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

That's the one with the concept nicked from that Oz show where they dress up and go ask Vince Cable to sign their dick or whatever?
It's this generation's Brass Eye imho.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Mr. Squishy posted:

That's the one with the concept nicked from that Oz show where they dress up and go ask Vince Cable to sign their dick or whatever?

It's this generation's Brass Eye if you took all the wit, intelligence, satire and relevance of Brass Eye away, and replaced it with reactionary shite.

One of the segments they're advertising is interviewing people from the fashion media and suddenly ask them about politics, with the intention of laughing at how uninformed they are when they don't have a prepared answer at a fashion show when someone asks them if they're in favour of military action in Iran.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
The BBC aren't going to renew I Love my Country and That Puppet Game Show, hooray but...

VogeGandire posted:

"The Revolution Will Be Televised" has been renewed.

...this is loving terrible.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
I enjoyed the hell out of That Puppet Game show.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Clearly the BBC doesn't give a gently caress about quality anymore. At least it was just one awful program coming back.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The government are trying to cut the TV license again, they've got to start thinking about where the cheap time-fillers will come from!

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Mr. Squishy posted:

Spent about 20 seconds thinking: "So it's a brutal prison drama where they ask Vince Cable to sign their dick???"

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

goatface posted:

The government are trying to cut the TV license again, they've got to start thinking about where the cheap time-fillers will come from!

What's fun is that the particular tory who's having a go at BBC's openness is Grant Shapps, who's occasionally internet-huckster "Michael Green."

Al2001 posted:

Spent about 20 seconds thinking: "So it's a brutal prison drama where they ask Vince Cable to sign their dick???"

It was bugging me so I tracked it down to "The Chasers." Though whether that holds up or not I don't know as I've never watched either prog.

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012
Can anyone recall the name of this programme? It was on Friday night on BBC2 about 20 years ago, usually after Doctor Who (7pm-ish, I think). It was about a taxi company that killed obnoxious customers - a pair of louts who threw up in the back seat were drowned in a car wash, for example. Ring any bells?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Did anyone else watch "No sex please, we're Japanese" - even for the badly researched crap about Japan that usually gets put out that was poor. I remain convinced that the last good program about Japan that the BBC put out was the one where they interviewed me while I was dressed up as a schoolgirl...

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Well that kind of demands a youtube link at least.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

They did a pretty interesting one about the plight of the unemployed Japanese youth a few years ago to be fair.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I thought BBC4's Japan: A Story of Love and Hate was well received?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Captain Mediocre posted:

Well that kind of demands a youtube link at least.
No youtube, but: BBC page is here - amusingly enough pops up higher in a google search for my name + bbc than the linked-in of some guy who worked for them. I still have the schoolgirl outfit, but - 10 years later - it no longer fits.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

I'm gonna come right out and say it, I love Ripper Street and was really pleased to see it back on last night. It's silly, idiotic fantasy and I think it's great. I'm a fan of period drama, however I've reached a point where I'm burnt out of endless adaptations of Austin and I ditched Downton halfway though the second series because it turned to poo poo. What I love the most about Ripper Street are the costumes, in particular for characters who are villainous and rather grubby but aspire to be somewhat well dressed. A favourite of mine from the last series was Joseph Gilgun who skeeved up the screen wonderfully as Carmicheal. With me, the skeevier the better!

On the same note, I really loved The Mill when it was on C4 a while back. I was also a little surprised at how good it was since C4 doesn't usually go in for period drama. What impressed me the most were that actors were so average looking and not made up to be super pretty but rather haggard and worn. Everything about The Mill was so dreary and cold and tired looking that it felt real. You get so used to those perfectly pretty Little Dorrit types who are poverty stricken but look as fresh as a spring morning and it drives me crazy.

I think what I'm driving at is down with drama series about dull as gently caress upper classes navigating the pitfalls of polite society and more drama about crazy yank scientist coppers blowing poo poo up and factory strikes thanks.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Dr Scoofles posted:

I think what I'm driving at is down with drama series about dull as gently caress upper classes navigating the pitfalls of polite society

Pretty much loving agree with this part. BBC did Garrow's Law a few years ago and I found it a million times more entertaining.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Pretty much loving agree with this part. BBC did Garrow's Law a few years ago and I found it a million times more entertaining.

You should check out The Crimson Petal and the White. Insane, grimy, off-kilter 4-part BBC drama from a couple of years ago about a Victorian prostitutes' journey from the slums to seeming respectability in an upper-middle class home. Features spontanous human combustion, corrupt doctors, possibly insane wives, Chris O'Dowd from the IT crowd as a sexually predatory bastard and an unrecognisable Gillian Anderson as a raddled old brothel madam.

It's as mad as a box of frogs and I loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

That sounds brilliant.