Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Have you guys seen the WNUF Halloween Special yet? Cause you should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I watched the trailer and now I sure as hell want to.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The original Hellraiser is a fine film in its own right but I still don't think it's a very good adaptation of The Hellbound Heart, for a variety of reasons.

One of the neat things about the short story is how Kirsty is this plain, even dumpy towngirl who's jealous of Julia and thinks her life is everything she dreamed for, despite the fact that Julia is so miserable she's willing to kill people to get out of it, even while Julia is sure Frank offers her something better and Frank thought the Cenobites did. Everyone's reaching for an ideal of happiness and experience that isn't what they think it is and which would horrify them if they achieved it. The film dilutes that by making Kirsty family, attractive, and more motivated by curiosity than desire.

Similarly, the whole point of the Cenobites is that they're a religious order that grew weary of all sensory experience the world had to offer and pushed on into the unknowable. An older Pinhead could mesh with that pretty well, given the right presentation.

So yeah, I'm excited by this news. :v:

Parachute
May 18, 2003

weekly font posted:

This looks righteous!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5iCF2Ltjlk

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I watched the trailer and now I sure as hell want to.

I impulse bought it after Nissun Timore talked about it but RLM just did a quick cut about it so I imagine it's gonna start going around.

e: It's only available on VHS which kinda owns.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Axleblaze, what'd you think of A Night In The Woods? It's a lesser Hollow, admittedly, but I saw it in tandem with each other and I enjoyed it, hitting the same notes on some occasions.

Okay, I've now watched this and it is downright weird how many of the same notes these two movies hit. A Night in the Woods was overall pretty weak though. It did have some good moments (like the extended sequence where an unknown person has the camera) but it was just kind a narratively weak movie. My main beef is that it kind of sacrifices a good story in trying to "get" the audience. The whole movie is focusing on how creepy the boyfriend is. As the movie goes on he looks creepier and creepier and then BAM it's the other guy. It's like, okay movie, I sure didn't guess that it was the other guy who went nuts. You sure got me. It really undermines some of the more off putting moments. Like you get the scene where the girlfriend sees that her boyfriend has been secretly filming her all the time and being creepy, but so what? He is creepy but that's all that leads to.

I also have a problem with them conveniently forgetting cameras just to keep things mysterious. There are a few moments where something happens outside the tent and at that time there is a camera that is filming outside the tent but it doesn't show us that footage because that would be less spooky I guess. It creates this weird subtext that whoever put together the footage within the universe of the film saw this tape of people being murdered and thought he'd edit it together into a kickin horror film.

Also, in found footage films I'm getting really sick of static and artifacting being used for no real reason. This movie one ups that by making the artifacting make really loud noises for some reason. :rolleyes:

So, overall it had it's moments but it was mostly pretty weak. Hollow is certainly WAY better.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I can't believe no one else is commenting on this, because it's loving fantastic news.

Has there ever been a time where a filmmaker outright remade their own movie? Because I can't think of one.

Nobody's probably commenting because he said the exact same poo poo like five years ago. I love Barker as an artist, but he always puts the cart before the horse on this poo poo.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The original Hellraiser is a fine film in its own right but I still don't think it's a very good adaptation of The Hellbound Heart, for a variety of reasons.

One of the neat things about the short story is how Kirsty is this plain, even dumpy towngirl who's jealous of Julia and thinks her life is everything she dreamed for, despite the fact that Julia is so miserable she's willing to kill people to get out of it, even while Julia is sure Frank offers her something better and Frank thought the Cenobites did. Everyone's reaching for an ideal of happiness and experience that isn't what they think it is and which would horrify them if they achieved it. The film dilutes that by making Kirsty family, attractive, and more motivated by curiosity than desire.

While the book is certainly better than the movie in some respects, I actually think changing Kirsty from an unrequited crush to Frank's daughter is 100% to the movie's benefit. It adds to the whole weird incestuous family angle in addition to the demented fairy tale angle.

Incidentally I'm considering doing a massive dedicated thread on the first Hellraiser movie akin to the ones we had on Taxi Driver and American Psycho. Anyone interested in this or is everyone sick of me talking about Hellraiser?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Whoever suggested Unaware as a good Found Footage movie is insane. What a boring waste of time that was.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Saw the Carrie remake last night and I have to say, I agree with the general "eh, its average/okay/kinda good" consensus. It really is a straight-up remake of the original film, almost line-for-line in some places ("To the devil with false modesty!"; "Your dirty pillows are showing!"). The one thing that makes it worth viewing is the prom massacre scene, of course, which really did feel more in-line with what King probably originally envisioned but what budget/special effects back then didn't allow.

That being said, I have a feeling the younger crowds will run with this movie and it'll be a sort of cult hit in the coming years. I can see it really appealing to them, as it's quite current. I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to or terrified of the inevitable The Shining remake.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 25, 2013

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Nobody's probably commenting because he said the exact same poo poo like five years ago. I love Barker as an artist, but he always puts the cart before the horse on this poo poo.

While the book is certainly better than the movie in some respects, I actually think changing Kirsty from an unrequited crush to Frank's daughter is 100% to the movie's benefit. It adds to the whole weird incestuous family angle in addition to the demented fairy tale angle.

Incidentally I'm considering doing a massive dedicated thread on the first Hellraiser movie akin to the ones we had on Taxi Driver and American Psycho. Anyone interested in this or is everyone sick of me talking about Hellraiser?

I'm a giant fan of Hellraiser, but it should really be a general Hellraiser thread, since even the bad films have really interesting parts to them.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I'd almost pay someone to do this(I won't pay you to do it). Those kind of threads are the best for killing time at work and Hellraiser is one of my all time favorites.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

When people say there is too much violence in my books, what they are saying is there is too much reality in life.

weekly font posted:

I impulse bought it after Nissun Timore talked about it but RLM just did a quick cut about it so I imagine it's gonna start going around.

e: It's only available on VHS which kinda owns.

Apparenetly it is also available on DVD now. I wish I had a VHS player, I would be all over the VHS edition.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Darko posted:

I'm a giant fan of Hellraiser, but it should really be a general Hellraiser thread, since even the bad films have really interesting parts to them.

I've been rewatching all the sequels and just like last time, part 5 pretty much broke me and I haven't found the strength to continue. The only ones I'm interested in going super in depth on are the first and maybe the second. Anyway, I'll keep it in mind, I'm probably not going to get around to it until sometime in November.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

On the other hand, Banshee Chapter was truly one of the scariest movies I've seen all year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ6oc07wCNM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2011276/

poo poo, can't wait to see this.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

weekly font posted:

That looks great.

In other important news THE VINCENT PRICE COLLECTION has shipped. HALLOWEEN IS SAVED. Infinite Zero's house is no longer a house of sadness.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Skyscraper posted:

I'm waiting for VHS 0: Betamax, with a segment from the Everything is Terrible! people.

That already kind of happened.

Although VHS Fever Dreams was only screened for one night in Toronto, it's the year's best film with 'VHS' in the title.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Whoever suggested Unaware as a good Found Footage movie is insane. What a boring waste of time that was.

False.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 25, 2013

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen Unaware, but I have yet to see a found footage movie where someone doesn't say it was a boring waste of time.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

axleblaze posted:

I haven't seen Unaware, but I have yet to see a found footage movie where someone doesn't say it was a boring waste of time.

REC?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

axleblaze posted:

Which is unfair, because like 5 of em are pretty good.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That already kind of happened.
Although VHS Fever Dreams was only screened for one night in Toronto, it's the year's best film with 'VHS' in the title.
That looks amazing. I can't wait.

flashy_mcflash posted:

On the other hand, Banshee Chapter was truly one of the scariest movies I've seen all year. I know I've said that about Afflicted and Oculus already this year, but guys, this has been a really great year for horror. Banshee relies a lot on jump scares, but makes up for it with a completely original story based around the MK-ULTRA trials in the 70's, with elements of Lovecraft, Number Stations, and psychedelic culture (Ted Levine is brilliant as a mashup of Timothy Leary and Hunter S Thompson). There's an interesting mix of found-footage and run-and-gun camerawork here, and I like how seamlessly they use actual archival footage and re-creations. There's a ton of legit research that went into this one, and some really great set pieces as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ6oc07wCNM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2011276/
Written and directed by SA alumnus Blair Erickson, no less.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Got around to seeing Curse of Chucky. Y'know what, I didn't hate that. And the ending made me giggle on a few levels. Nica taunts Chucky about not being able to kill Andy. Chucky brags about having done the next best thing and screwed him up mentally. Chucky is clearly lying about this and Nica has gotten under his skin. Chucky tries to kill Andy. Andy, as established, is screwed up mentally and armed with a shotgun while opening his mail. Chucky goes boom.

Seriously, for a dumb Chucky movie, that was well done.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

axleblaze posted:

I think that was Cujo.

It was Man's Best Friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5qVwVu3PAQ

The whole thing is on YouTube, but this is just the trailer.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Where are you guys seeing Oculus and Banshee Chapter? Those sounds interesting.

The creepy face/mask in the Banshee Chapter trailer reminds me of the masks in Noroi a bit.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

axleblaze posted:

Okay, I've now watched this and it is downright weird how many of the same notes these two movies hit. A Night in the Woods was overall pretty weak though. It did have some good moments (like the extended sequence where an unknown person has the camera) but it was just kind a narratively weak movie. My main beef is that it kind of sacrifices a good story in trying to "get" the audience. The whole movie is focusing on how creepy the boyfriend is. As the movie goes on he looks creepier and creepier and then BAM it's the other guy. It's like, okay movie, I sure didn't guess that it was the other guy who went nuts. You sure got me. It really undermines some of the more off putting moments. Like you get the scene where the girlfriend sees that her boyfriend has been secretly filming her all the time and being creepy, but so what? He is creepy but that's all that leads to.

I also have a problem with them conveniently forgetting cameras just to keep things mysterious. There are a few moments where something happens outside the tent and at that time there is a camera that is filming outside the tent but it doesn't show us that footage because that would be less spooky I guess. It creates this weird subtext that whoever put together the footage within the universe of the film saw this tape of people being murdered and thought he'd edit it together into a kickin horror film.

Also, in found footage films I'm getting really sick of static and artifacting being used for no real reason. This movie one ups that by making the artifacting make really loud noises for some reason. :rolleyes:

So, overall it had it's moments but it was mostly pretty weak. Hollow is certainly WAY better.

I agree with every part of this. Hollow must've been pulling up the slack quality wise when I saw them together.

At least there are some nice shots of nature.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I agree with every part of this. Hollow must've been pulling up the slack quality wise when I saw them together.

At least there are some nice shots of nature.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that it is pretty drat gorgeous, especially for a found footage film. There's a shot late in the film where it's completely dark and then the glow of a campfire appears in the distance and it is stunning. It's honestly in the top tier of found footage films if you're going only by looks.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

flashy_mcflash posted:

On the other hand, Banshee Chapter was truly one of the scariest movies I've seen all year...a completely original story based around the MK-ULTRA trials in the 70's, with elements of Lovecraft, Number Stations, and psychedelic culture (Ted Levine is brilliant as a mashup of Timothy Leary and Hunter S Thompson)...

SOLD. It sounds like a horror riff on some of the stuff Beyond The Black Rainbow did - like they made a movie with me as the target audience.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Craig Spradlin posted:

SOLD. It sounds like a horror riff on some of the stuff Beyond The Black Rainbow did - like they made a movie with me as the target audience.

I'm not sure if I'd make that comparison. Banshee is a *lot* more grounded in reality and definitely more accessible than Rainbow was, and isn't anywhere close to being as stylized as that movie was. Also, wouldn't you classify BTBR as a horror?

Whispering Machines: We get a number of film festivals here in Toronto - Oculus and Afflicted played at the Toronto International Film Festival in the Midnight programme and Banshee played the After Dark Film Festival which just wrapped up tonight.

Skyscraper posted:

Written and directed by SA alumnus Blair Erickson, no less.

That's cool that he's a goon. He was at the screening for a Q&A and seemed like a neat dude.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

sticklefifer posted:

I'd have to see the Uruguayan original to see if it's structured differently, but I felt this movie telegraphed its surprises WAY too early and far too bluntly. It was a cromulent piece of film, but by the time she's hiding under the table and the little girl hops off above her with the camera flashes, you already know exactly where it's going, and long before the protagonist does.

That said, it's very well put together for how low budget it was. More indie horror needs to take advantage of offscreen sound as an effective tool for suspense.

I just watched the remake tonight, but I haven't seen the original in a few years, so I may be wrong. But, the original felt more subtle in its handling of the reveal, as in, it wasn't as clear as it was in the remake. In the Olsen version, in case you hadn't figured out that everything that had been going on, it has the characters openly discussing it at the end of the film.

I liked the film, the only thing I was not a huge fan of was her father turning into a cartoon-like villain at the end. Although, this could have just been her projection of him, as he could have already been dead. I don't really buy this explanation, but it just felt like a scene to drive home the point that he molested her (as mentioned before), just in case you didn't get all the obvious signs of it before.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

What happened at the end or 'Resolution'? Just watched it and can't figure out what happened.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

DeathChicken posted:

Got around to seeing Curse of Chucky. Y'know what, I didn't hate that. And the ending made me giggle on a few levels. Nica taunts Chucky about not being able to kill Andy. Chucky brags about having done the next best thing and screwed him up mentally. Chucky is clearly lying about this and Nica has gotten under his skin. Chucky tries to kill Andy. Andy, as established, is screwed up mentally and armed with a shotgun while opening his mail. Chucky goes boom.

Seriously, for a dumb Chucky movie, that was well done.

I know I shouldn't be commenting on a movie that I've only seen the post-credit scene, but I got the impression that Andy knew that it was Chucky in the box, which is why he had a shotgun at the ready. He's not armed with a shotgun to get the mail, he's armed to get this specific mail.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Skywalker OG posted:

What happened at the end or 'Resolution'? Just watched it and can't figure out what happened.

Watched this like two weeks ago, and I'm not entirely clear, but I think

the demon/ghost thing they had hinted at that was making the future stories was unleashed and angered because the two main characters didn't follow the story. Once they broke the story and didn't die, it got all pissy and shows which is why the one dude kneels and the other is just like "Oh poo poo, I am so sorry please let us try another story."

I think. I enjoyed the movie, but man was it rough around the edges.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Leper Residue posted:

Watched this like two weeks ago, and I'm not entirely clear, but I think

the demon/ghost thing they had hinted at that was making the future stories was unleashed and angered because the two main characters didn't follow the story. Once they broke the story and didn't die, it got all pissy and shows which is why the one dude kneels and the other is just like "Oh poo poo, I am so sorry please let us try another story."

I think. I enjoyed the movie, but man was it rough around the edges.

I think in the movie the force at work is the movie itself and the demands of the story and the audience. The force at work is always portrayed in film like ways, with the film stretching or breaking up. The characters in the film are just characters in a film going towards the conclusion that they are predestine to go towards. They keep getting shown the beginning, middle and ends of stories and the endings are always horrific. Later they get shown footage of the beginning of the movie, then the middle and towards the end they keep getting footage of their end happening over and over in many different ways. As is, their story just doesn't have a satisfying conclusion. The friend just doesn't want to get help and that's not much of a journey. They keep heading towards a horrific end over and over until the friend finally decides to get help but that also leads to and end and the characters also cease to exist as their story comes to a close and the film break apart.

tl;dr: it's a higher concept Cabin in the Woods.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
http://video.adultswim.com/tim-and-erics-bedtime-stories/special/

Oh my sweet lord.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

There's also these two teaser videos from The Huffington Post (the videos won't load on their site, so I am not sure if these are the same two that are on there): http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/17/tim-and-erics-bedtime-stories-zach-galifianakis_n_4117922.html

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I need to see that yesterday.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I saw the new Carrie last night and it honestly wasn't really that scary or have a horror atmosphere at all. It was more messed up feeling than anything with the mom, but it felt more like a coming of age/anti bullying highschool movie than anything. It was weird but I liked the bits towards the end.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

saulwright posted:

I know this thread is Hellraiser central, buuuut I don't think this has been posted yet (from Barker's Facebook):

I got excited. Then I saw the names 'Dimension' and 'Weinstein' and just thought that in a year's time Barker will be talking about what a terrible experience he had on the film. They will re-write him and gently caress him out of the film. Has no one learned anything from Wes Craven?

saulwright
Jan 12, 2005

PonchAxis posted:

I saw the new Carrie last night and it honestly wasn't really that scary or have a horror atmosphere at all. It was more messed up feeling than anything with the mom, but it felt more like a coming of age/anti bullying highschool movie than anything. It was weird but I liked the bits towards the end.

Just got out of this a couple hours ago. It tows the horror line just as much as the original. I disagree with those who have said it doesn't bring anything new to the table other than updated effects- there were more than enough new little characterization flourishes thrown in to elevate its presentation above something like Quarantine, in my opinion. Specifically, there was a lot more going on with the villain couple and the friendly couple this time around. Carrie's use of her powers is less Akira's Tetsuo and more Chronicle's Andrew, too.

I agree that it could briefly be mistaken for a teen drama at times, but I never felt like I was watching Mean Girls or anything. Moretz turns in a killer performance, too. Overall, a pleasant surprise.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Ugh I love Rosemarys Baby. Mia Farrow is so beautiful it's frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Toriori posted:

Ugh I love Rosemarys Baby. Mia Farrow is so beautiful it's frustrating.

I just rewatched it, and the fact that I consider it the least of the "apartment horror" trilogy is really just a testament to how insanely loving on Polanski was at that point in his career.