Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm looking at an NB that has Tokico shocks and Eibach springs. Don't know which models and haven't driven it yet. I've read bad stuff about pretty much all the Tokico offerings, though - are they really that bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Versus tennis balls and Racelands? It's probably a wash.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What would your guys recommend cheap shock/spring combo for spirited daily driving be?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Find some MSM take-offs, or keep the factory setup and switch out the shock with a OTS Koni or Bilstein.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I think Tokico's issues stem more from build quality than the ride, they ride ok actually. In the Miata shop I used to work for the owner stopped selling them because they tend to spring leaks not long into their life. He switched to KYBs which aren't any better but at least they held up for a reasonable amount of time. Of course that was the cheap setup, Konis were always recommended first. Konis are your best bet, I have them and they are great shocks for the money.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 25, 2013

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I have the Flyin Miata spring/Tokico adjustable setup. I have no bad things to say about it. The shocks handled Thunderhill great with no leaks or anything else. Of course, I've never tried any other shock yet though.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 25, 2013

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Bilsteins and GC sleeves. The height and spring rate you want with a decent shock. And you can revalve them and get different springs for fairly cheap if you ever want to change your setup.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr
Anybody have a good link to top install instruction for the NB? I've heard it was way easier to just remove the frame so I think I'll go that way. Any other hints and tips?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

AkrisD posted:

Anybody have a good link to top install instruction for the NB? I've heard it was way easier to just remove the frame so I think I'll go that way. Any other hints and tips?

I did my '99 with the frame still on the car, and followed this guide: http://www.miata.net/garage/miatatop/

It was a huge pain in the rear end, but while you're at it be sure to inspect your whole rain rail well (I replaced mine) and to clear out the two drain holes that the rain rail feeds into. Mine were completely clogged with crap.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's more time consuming with the top off the car, but it's easier if that makes any sense.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
All the guides that say closing the roof for the first time is tough are not kidding. Make sure you have some ratchet straps or 2-3 friends to help you close the top for the first time after replacing it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Loosen the latches and it isn't that bad.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Installing the top in a heated garage has helped me in the past. I imagine warming the top with a nearby space heater would be an effective substitution.

edit: drat autocorrect

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 26, 2013

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
That reminds me of when I left the original top down in the back of my unheated garage in the winter for a couple weeks and it was really difficult to put back up again. I guess it's kept in a fairly taut state while up.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I keep creeping over my budget and looking at NCs. There's an 06 Sport near me w/ 53k miles, 6 spd obvs, just under $10k. Anyway to tell from the trim and options if it has an LSD or do I need to call Mazda? Do the complaints about the stock suspension on the NC extend to the Bilsteins offered in the suspension package? What do you guys think of the price?

blk fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 26, 2013

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
I'd go over it very carefully, that seems a bit low for such a (relatively) low mile car. If it checks out though, jump on it. The NC1s do have an odd suspension, even with the performance package, but it's nothing that would keep me away from a sub-10k NC. They're amazing cars.

e: Well then, forget my quibbles about price. Go for it!

GOD IS BED fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 26, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just nabbed an '06 GT for about that price (dealer fees can suck it) with the same miles and it has very few flaws.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
There was an 07 with BIN of 8k on eBay today. Prices seem to be creeping down for the season.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
What are good rotors for regular street use for an NA? I was going to just go with OEM since I'm doing that for the pads but it turns out they're really expensive, like 65 bucks each. From other forums, I'm seeing recommendations for Brembo, Centric, and Napa (although apparently they're made in China now so no good?).

Hikaki fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Oct 30, 2013

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Spend money on pads, save money on rotors. Most chunks of metal will do just fine.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Go to knsbrakes.com and get the cheapest rotors. Pick up whatever pads you want, ceramics for the street or HP+ for autocross.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Is this kit either overpriced for what it is, or total poo poo? it seems like a good deal.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Power+Stop/419/K793/10002/-1

I'd probibly pair this in the rear with whatever rotors and pads i could get cheaply at NAPA.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
I seem to recall that if you just select all the options on rockauto in their proper categories(ie all rear rotors, all front pads, etc) and let them minimize the cost for you in the cart, it'll end up just over a hundred for all four corners shipped. Personally I'd trust the cheapest ra rotors more than those drilled/precracked ones.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You really don't need those rotors. I just got the cheap Centric rotors and the "high performance" Centric pads from rockauto.

It was like 110 bucks total for the front and rear.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 30, 2013

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, you really don't want drilled or slotted rotors for a Miata. I'm sure there are some cars where they are well made and useful, but no one has made any that are good on a Miata.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 31, 2013

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Is this kit either overpriced for what it is, or total poo poo? it seems like a good deal.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Power+Stop/419/K793/10002/-1

I'd probibly pair this in the rear with whatever rotors and pads i could get cheaply at NAPA.
Garbage. Just get blank rotors and some nice pads and call it a day.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Thanks for the advice. I ended up just getting both rotors and pads from Napa. About $174 shipped for all four. The "premium" Centric rotors did look nice but not at almost twice the price of the Napas. Same with OEM pads; the consensus seems to be similar stopping power with more dust and a bit less life for the Napas. Good enough for half the price of the OEMs!

Edit:

leica posted:

You really don't need those rotors. I just got the cheap Centric rotors and the "high performance" Centric pads from rockauto.

It was like 110 bucks total for the front and rear.

Wow, I guess I overpaid...maybe I should look around a bit more.

Hikaki fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 30, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
$175 isn't bad. He was saying $110 in just rotors.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
I think he included pads, but in either case everything on rockauto is way cheaper so I might as well buy from there.

Here's a question about those "high performance" Centric pads though: what the hell is "para-aramid composites"? I can't find any information on it besides Centric's marketing material.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I was going through a temp folder on my desktop and found pictures of my NA that I had all too briefly :smith:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone posted:

$175 isn't bad. He was saying $110 in just rotors.

No that's for everything, not including shipping though.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Did I do this right? '06 6spd touring I settled on thanks to the advice from here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dameius posted:

Did I do this right? '06 6spd touring I settled on thanks to the advice from here.

Nice!

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
These cars look so nice in blue and red :3:

Great find!

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Wow, I had no idea Laguna Blue came back on NCs.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

iv46vi posted:

Wow, I had no idea Laguna Blue came back on NCs.

That really is a great color, unfortunately, it was only available for 2006.

(It's Winning Blue, btw)

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

thats a new one

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Wondering if you guys can give me ball park estimate on what I should be selling my miata for. 1994, classic red, 145k, 5 speed. I'm in the St. Louis area, so we don't really get any significant snow maybe a week out of the year. There's no rust. I was checking around craigslist and saw NAs are going for around 3000-3500, which seems a bit much in my opinion especially now that we're getting into winter.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

opengl128 posted:

thats a new one

I think that's the test car Ford built in house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Russian Bear posted:

Wondering if you guys can give me ball park estimate on what I should be selling my miata for. 1994, classic red, 145k, 5 speed. I'm in the St. Louis area, so we don't really get any significant snow maybe a week out of the year. There's no rust. I was checking around craigslist and saw NAs are going for around 3000-3500, which seems a bit much in my opinion especially now that we're getting into winter.

Go with the current local market unless you want to get rid of it quick, in that case price it accordingly.

If you're in no hurry I'd wait until spring.