Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

particle409 posted:

https://www.facebook.com/james.canton.35

Add me for rewards as well. Do I have to do anything on my facebook page? I just linked it via Marvel Puzzle Quest on my phone. Anybody getting anything decent from the recruitment tokens? I've only gotten one star Iron Man, Storm, and Hawkeye covers.

Spider-Man Classic (yellow) from a Heroic Token just now. I like how his ability is useless until I can unlock the blue one.
Wolverine 2-star from a Standard token, not too bad...

Kravdraa fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So with the facebook stuff, does it detect friends who have linked Puzzle Quest as well, or will it just spam random people?

And how do I link it to a different facebook account :\

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Welp, I got to #2 in my bracket after about 20 minutes, looking forward to that disappearing within 20 minutes of finishing.

Kravdraa posted:

Spider-Man Classic (yellow) from a Heroic Token just now. I like how his ability is useless until I can unlock the blue one.
Wolverine 2-star from a Standard token, not too bad...

You can still use his ability with no web tiles! It just heals for its minimum.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It also works if the enemy team has spidey or venom.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I just added myself to the Google Drive doc on the last page, so feel free to add me (I won't link to my profile directly here). I need some people so it doesn't just throw up random-rear end people from my friends list to send things to.

Black Bo[X]
Feb 18, 2001

SynthOrange posted:

So with the facebook stuff, does it detect friends who have linked Puzzle Quest as well, or will it just spam random people?

And how do I link it to a different facebook account :\

It's supposed to choose friends that have the app (if you have any) and apparently goes so far as to select people who have sent you items for the first 1 or 2 spots.

I submitted a ticket to their support email stating that I linked the wrong account and they were able to unlink it. Took a day or so and they needed my PVP name and numeric Facebook ID.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Emron posted:

Welp, I got to #2 in my bracket after about 20 minutes, looking forward to that disappearing within 20 minutes of finishing.

While it's not a horrible idea to rack up some points and unlock some things early on, the last day is really the only time you should worry about your placement. I started on the last day in the last bracketed tournament and ended up at #2.

Some PvP tips:

* As above, don't burn a lot of resources in the early going. If you have a pile of heal packs above the recharging ones, a mountain of ISO for level-up heals, etc., save some for the last day, preferably the last hours.

* The reason why is because of how the point system works. Beating tougher opponents gets you more points than weaker ones. If you spend all your goodies early getting a high score, know what you are? A tougher opponent. People who start late will cherry-pick you for big points and you will get little to nothing if you attack them back. Always attack above your level when you can. (This is why nobody ever gets the big progression prizes. They gain too little from fights when they're on top and getting beaten drags them down fast.)

* As I'm sure everyone's found, being on defense is a MASSIVE disadvantage. You don't get to use boosts (the attacker does), you don't get to select targets intelligently (the attacker does), you get stuck with the dopey AI running your team (the attacker knows what T-shapes and L-shapes are, can play keep-away on needed colors, and doesn't have an uncontrollable 4-gem fetish). This means that you can beat better teams with schlock if you use strategy and boosts intelligently. If you take down someone higher than you and they attack you back, so what? You have a net gain out of it. So cherry-pick opponents that are (a) higher scoring than you and (b) you can probably take out without having anyone downed.

* The 200-person bracket tournaments are much much easier to do well in than the serverwide ones for obvious reasons -- the whales and cheaters are spread out much thinner.

* KNOW YOUR ENEMY. The key to succeeding is to pick out the opponent's most dangerous points and avoid them / KO them quickly. For example, Avengers Only is chock full of Iron Man and Thor, so controlling red and yellow gems is your highest priority when they're around. A Thor that can't trigger Mjolnir's Might or Thunder Strike is much less dangerous. Characters like Hawkeye and Black Widow, when buffed, can do some impressive criticals but have low HP, so bringing them down quickly can be vital.

delfin fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 26, 2013

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Restarted a second time since the game kept wanting me to reload my previous Facebook account save. Made a new account with a fake Facebook account so I could join in on the gifting.

https://www.facebook.com/philianna.nguyen

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Do I have to stay logged in on my facebook app on my fake facebook account or can I switch back to my regular one after linking?

Black Bo[X]
Feb 18, 2001

SynthOrange posted:

Do I have to stay logged in on my facebook app on my fake facebook account or can I switch back to my regular one after linking?

Just tried it out, logged into my fake FB account, started up the game, then logged out and into my regular account. Was still able to send and receive resupplies to people on the fake account.

Black Bo[X] fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 27, 2013

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Well I've been trying to get to 700 points for the last hour, every time I win a battle I lose 2. I think I've been attacked every 3 or 4 minutes.

Not a huge deal because I didn't care much about modern hawkeye but I've been at 685-690 at least two dozen times now. I'm 1100 now, was hoping to at least stay above 1250 for the extra hero coins but as fast as I'm losing rank it's not looking good.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I don't get the red iso event. I did all the missions when it first came out, and it hasn't let me do anything since except that one 4 red iso mission over and over. What am I missing?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Kharmakazy posted:

I don't get the red iso event. I did all the missions when it first came out, and it hasn't let me do anything since except that one 4 red iso mission over and over. What am I missing?

About thirteen hours. New missions and/or respawning ones should pop up at noon EST tomorrow.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Well, I lied. I went back to the Avengers mission with these theories to test:

1. Skip the people that defeated me unless their team was complete trash.
2. See how far cherry picking opponents would take me.
3. Keep trying to heal on the Venom levels before jumping from fight to fight if I was too banged up.
4. Keep experimening with boosts.

I managed to get to 910 points and am currently ranked #141. As long as I don't drop under #250, I'll get the third tier prize. I really thought the only way to get worthwhile points was fighting the people that beat you, but it's really not worth it more often than not. There really is enough people with 10 point crummy teams to get you ahead. I would've really liked to crack 1000 and get that Spider Man Yellow.

Also, trying to heal Iron Man while fighting Venom is obnoxious when he wants to always be the one in front taking damage while Thor sits there reading a book. Black Widow pulls the same crap as well. I wish there was a way to hide your wounded teammate in the back.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I got up to 913 points before running out of steam and got beaten down by 200 points overnight. :v:

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Also look for teams that are not healed. I have found a team with two members 0 hp and one at less than 500. It makes it very easy to beat.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The not healed teams are from when you beat them up earlier but they finished you off first.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Some extra tips that have worked for me:

1) Skip, skip, skip. There is some poor guy somewhere that is out of his depth/went in with the wrong team/swapped team members for some reason. You just have to find him.
2) Know when to cut your loses: If enemy Thor is about to unleash all 3 powers on you, run away! Winning but crippling your team isn't worth it.
3) Try to save level ups for free heals if possible.
4) Don't try to heal with lvl 1 blue/lvl 1 yellow Spider-Man. You'll lose more health than what you'll win in the process.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I got a fake Black Widow, 250 purples and 100 gold. :toot: Now my cover storage is +1.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I got 2 of the 3 star spider-man comics in a row. Too bad they're both the passive skill :negative:

That update really make the skills more fun. I went from doing ~250 to 600 with iron man's blue skill.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Added my facebook profile to the Marvel PQ list, it's nice knowing goons PvP names so I can skip people: https://www.facebook.com/ddurnin

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I didn't know that you could actually win points from being attacked! It just happened for the first time this morning in The Arena for 30 points. I guess my team isn't complete dirt anymore and I've just lots every battle until now.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Gallow posted:

I didn't know that you could actually win points from being attacked! It just happened for the first time this morning in The Arena for 30 points. I guess my team isn't complete dirt anymore and I've just lots every battle until now.

Happened to me for the first time this morning. Told me I lost 3 or 4 battles but they only subtracted a couple points a piece at most, and one guy lost against me so I gained 27 net points.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I wish to congratulate D3 for the huge success of Marvel Puzzle Quest among the members of the Saudi royal family.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

As there any way to reroll your opponents in Vs? I keep getting paired up against people I have no hope in hell of beating because they're about 20 levels higher than me. It gets a little annoying after a while.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

So my game is suggesting people to give things to that I know don't have the game. I'm sorry if I can't get you guys free poo poo as often as I'd like as a result :(

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

As there any way to reroll your opponents in Vs? I keep getting paired up against people I have no hope in hell of beating because they're about 20 levels higher than me. It gets a little annoying after a while.

Skip?

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

On the first screen that displays your opponent, on the lower left side, there is a Skip/Yield button. If it says Yield, it will be red and show how many times you've attepmed to fight them.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Welp, just hit 1000 tokens in the training room default pvp, and didn't get the 100 hero point milestone reward. At least I have a meaningless top 100 rank...

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

Wow, sometimes the AI just decides that you're going to lose. Just got utterly wrecked by a team that I had reasonably out-levelled, mostly due to an enormous cascading clusterfuck that involved at least 3 extra move-criticals and dealt 1700 damage to my Iron Man. Reminds me of the original Puzzle Quest when stuff like that happens.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Kravdraa posted:

Wow, sometimes the AI just decides that you're going to lose. Just got utterly wrecked by a team that I had reasonably out-levelled, mostly due to an enormous cascading clusterfuck that involved at least 3 extra move-criticals and dealt 1700 damage to my Iron Man. Reminds me of the original Puzzle Quest when stuff like that happens.

Especially with higher levels of powers, winning or losing is just a lucky cascade one way or the other. If I get my Thor powers up before the other team, they'll generally all fall pretty quickly. If the AI lucks into a purple cascade, then its aggressive recon -> team stun -> completely hosed by damage powers and I'm out. It's gotten to the point where I just quit and take the point hit if the AI manages to get some powers up (and same with minion battles).

So I've hit 5-5-3 and 4-4-5 on Iron Man and Storm, and now I'm getting a message that I've hit the power level cap for these characters. Presumable, this is because I've hit the max level cap of 50? Does this mean that you can't max powers of 3-power 1-star characters? Or do I just need to level them a bit? If so, that's kind of lovely - I probably would have gone 5-3-5 on IM and Storm, had I known! Do 2* characters have similar restrictions, even though they have an 85 level cap? I'm 4-3-4 on Thor, so I already can't go 5-5-3, but I'll just sell any green covers I pick up if you can't max him.

E: Here's my fakebook thingy: https://www.facebook.com/stick.man.7503

VVV Thanks! Is this anywhere in the interface, or is it just a pleasant surprise when you hit the max? It's kind of lovely. VVV

Stickman fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 27, 2013

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Edit:^^^^ you always get 13 skills points.

Kravdraa posted:

I still say "drat cheating spider!" In my head, when the ai get those bullshit cascade.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Man, I got dogpiled last night. I was as high as #100-ish with an hour to go, ate one bad fight where someone's steroidal Thor took out my Cap and Thor, and dropped about 150 points and 200 places in a hurry. Ended up with Yelena 100ISOva and enough hero points to finally clear my cache. No big deal, I only need one more Cap Blue to max Peacemaker and it'll come eventually.

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

Stickman posted:

So I've hit 5-5-3 and 4-4-5 on Iron Man and Storm, and now I'm getting a message that I've hit the power level cap for these characters. Presumable, this is because I've hit the max level cap of 50? Does this mean that you can't max powers of 3-power 1-star characters? Or do I just need to level them a bit? If so, that's kind of lovely - I probably would have gone 5-3-5 on IM and Storm, had I known! Do 2* characters have similar restrictions, even though they have an 85 level cap? I'm 4-3-4 on Thor, so I already could go 5-5-3, but I'll just sell any green covers I pick up if you can't max him.

My Iron Man will end up at 5/5/3 also (daily reward tomorrow will give the last point), mostly because of cover availability. However, I'm quite happy with that at the moment. I use Armoured Assault quite a lot, so having that maxed is nice. Of course, the blue power's a beast when you can use it, so maybe that would have been better.

How's the Storm (modern I assume?) working out at high levels? I've got plenty of covers for her (as does everyone I guess) but haven't put much ISO into her yet - debating whether to level Modern or Classic.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Kravdraa posted:

How's the Storm (modern I assume?) working out at high levels? I've got plenty of covers for her (as does everyone I guess) but haven't put much ISO into her yet - debating whether to level Modern or Classic.

I've found Classic Storm (level 36 atm, 3-2-3) to be a beast so far - with a couple boosters especially, I can easily one-shot entire teams of <550 HP or so with her blue ability by turn 2 or 3...just wish her covers weren't so rare compared to the Modern version. I'm rank #9 in my Arena bracket right now, using Storm, Iron Man, and Widow/Cap, beat about 95% of the story stuff.

Deathwing fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 26, 2013

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

My classic Storm's blue ability does 882 damage to every member of the enemy team for 11 blue AP.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

So I've got Facebook linked up now, and I haven't seen any of the "claim +3" buttons on any rewards since then. Does it normally appear every single time you get a reward, or just sporadically?

Edit: and then as if on cue, I fire up the game and get a boost that immediately gets shared to three goons :)

bubbapook fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 27, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The latter.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Jesus GOD do I hate how progression rewards aren't given until you get to back to the fight-select screen.

"You have 812 points!" "You got attacked and knocked down to 796 before you could enjoy them." lather rinse repeat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Kravdraa posted:

My Iron Man will end up at 5/5/3 also (daily reward tomorrow will give the last point), mostly because of cover availability. However, I'm quite happy with that at the moment. I use Armoured Assault quite a lot, so having that maxed is nice. Of course, the blue power's a beast when you can use it, so maybe that would have been better.

Thor is my heavy hitter, so my teams are built around his red/yellow abilities, hence the preference for a blue Iron Man. Storm Classic is nice, but I use her a lot less than I did now that I've got Daken to back up Thor.

Looking at Thor's abilities, I think 5-4-4 might actually be the sweet spot. That gives a 6 AP red strike and 12 AP yellow strike. Putting 5 points into the green ability only takes it down to 13 AP, which is only useful if you get a 4 or 5 match (or one-off) in there somewhere.