Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chobdab
Aug 16, 2003

You don't know me James, you never did. I am not seeking forgiveness.

snortpocket posted:

Stay away from books with too many words. Do you have any that tell a story by putting a series of drawings in little squares?

Why yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Benny the Snake posted:

Well it's more like I feel that my current one isn't addressing my needs. Meanwhile I'm going to do some reading. Any book recommendations? Right now I'm reading Gibson but next I'm thinking Steinbeck. I haven't read any of his works.

You remind me of a friend of mine. She has little or no critical thinking skills, is constantly making bad decisions and obviously trying to cover for it by name-dropping and reading books that she knows other smart people read. Benny, you aren't being smart - you're ACTING smart. It's the difference between actually having a coherent thought process and just aping what you've seen other smart people doing.

HOWEVER, your initiative to get your meds evaulated again and changed is one of those decisions which will put you on a path to making better choices. I applaud that, but seriously stop throwing around authors' names like anyone gives a poo poo what you read.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

What happened with the other job where you were canvasing neighborhoods again?

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Ms. Happiness posted:

What happened with the other job where you were canvasing neighborhoods again?

I'm pretty sure based on what he said that was a temp job at best and had no real hopes of ever being something that would lead to a full time and/or stable position. But hey, a short-term job that pays is still a job that pays, right? Money is money.

I'm still rootin' for you Benny. Get some Bukowski. His worldview might make you perk up a little bit.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

natetimm posted:

You remind me of a friend of mine. She has little or no critical thinking skills, is constantly making bad decisions and obviously trying to cover for it by name-dropping and reading books that she knows other smart people read. Benny, you aren't being smart - you're ACTING smart. It's the difference between actually having a coherent thought process and just aping what you've seen other smart people doing.

HOWEVER, your initiative to get your meds evaulated again and changed is one of those decisions which will put you on a path to making better choices. I applaud that, but seriously stop throwing around authors' names like anyone gives a poo poo what you read.

Uh there's nothing wrong with asking for recommendations for books, and someone really into "acting" smart would pretend he'd already read those authors anyway.

Benny, I'd make recommendations based on what you like already. If you're getting a kick out of Gibson, there's other good sci fi out there. I really enjoyed Heinlein but you have to spend some time contextualizing the world he was writing in to really appreciate some of his weirdness. Asimov is my personal favorite and I love the Foundation Trilogy (which is a fun read that is a pillar of modern scifi), and The Caves of Steel. Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C Clarke is another one that really struck me even though I went in pretty skeptical. A lot of people suggest A Canticle for Leibovitz as a good next step from Neuromancer, which is what I assume you're reading.

For Steinbeck I admit I haven't read it all but I fell for Travels With Charley in Search of America, which is short and nonfiction. While it elucidates a lot of his views I wouldn't consider it all that representative of his body of work.

If you haven't read Ender's Game yet you should probably do that before the movie comes out. Also read Ender's Shadow which I hear has a lot of plot in the movie.

There's a lot of great books out there! If you tell us more about what you like to read I bet lots of goons can tailor good recommendations to you.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

natetimm posted:

So expressing interest in Steinbeck and being a fan of other writers like Twain or Fitzgerald makes me pretentious? Dude, my academic career was reading works in the Western canon. I've written essay after essay and had discussions in class on these works and their writers. I won't have someone tell me that I'm being a pretentious tool or that I don't have a coherent thought process. This is who I am and I won't have anyone tell me otherwise.

Oh and thanks for the Heinlein recommendation InEscape. I actually read Starship Troopers back in high school for a project. Is his other stuff politics heavy?

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Nobody thinks you're pretentious, don't worry. You're just a guy who hasn't read a lick of John Steinbeck.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Benny the Snake posted:

Oh and thanks for the Heinlein recommendation InEscape. I actually read Starship Troopers back in high school for a project. Is his other stuff politics heavy?

Fascinatingly, definitely yes they are but not really the SAME politics. I'm really reticent to tell you too much about Stranger in a Strange Land because I went into it blind and it was really fun that way but it has some extremely leftist politics. On the other end of the spectrum (sort of), The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is generally considered a libertarian novel. Heinlein's always really political but not always consistently.

Also read hitchhikers guide if you haven't yet. Since you're a writer and an English major, you'll really appreciate the wordplay.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

lexan posted:

Ulillillia got a job today, you can too!

Serious post: Yeah, I remember adjusting to some anti-depressants that caused that kind of lethargy. I would basically go to sleep as soon as I got home from work every day; on weekends, I'd probably only be awake for like 6-8 hours a day. Definitely speak to your doctor about it. It might end up being something that fades after time (in my case it did after about a month).

Is there a Ulillillia thread here? I miss his website :(

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Is there a Ulillillia thread here? I miss his website :(

Yeah, in Games: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426257

He's friended a bunch of goons on Facebook recently, so it's a whole new world.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Benny the Snake posted:

I've written essay after essay...

Ahahahahahaha

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Benny the Snake posted:

I won't have someone tell me that I'm being a pretentious tool or that I don't have a coherent thought process.

Yes you will, but it's ok, because you'll forget all about it when the new Spiderman comes out.

Megedy
Jan 19, 2013

Oh wow. That means I get to drive.
Benny, I binge read your entire thread from the beginning.

Your story reminds me a lot of what I was like when my depression was at it's worst. I had a vague idea of what I wanted to do and who I wanted to be, but I was absolutely terrible at going about it. I just kind of floated around and put in a minimum effort to look functional to outsiders. It's great that you're asking for book recommendations, but I see that and all I can think of is how I would ask similar questions so I could pretend that I was still a person with interests. Are you really going to read those books, or are you going to sleep and dick around on the internet all day? It's okay if it's the latter, depression really fucks you up.

You need to sit down and think about what you want. Not necessarily what would make you happy, but what would make you proud of yourself. I thought I wanted to be an art teacher; everyone told me I was good at art, so I should do something with art. But it wasn't until college that I realized I actually sucked. Yeah, compared to everyone in my small town, I was great. But compared to the big leagues? I'm mediocre at best. That's okay, I still like to paint. I just know that I can't make a career out of it. Similarly, just because you like to write, doesn't mean that's what you need to be doing as a profession. I wish somebody had told you that before you went through school.

Whenever someone has asked you about your career goals, you've been vague and noncommittal. Clerical positions, maybe eventually a big time published author. But is that what would really make you happy? There are so many careers out there that you could do. Take time off of the job hunting, and really hunt for a regular therapist. It sounds, to me, like you need to be seeing somebody once a week at least. Maybe even an outpatient program. A diagnosis is really only the first step at getting better. Finding the right medication and therapy combo is going to be really hard and discouraging. But it will happen if you give it time.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

InEscape posted:

Fascinatingly, definitely yes they are but not really the SAME politics. I'm really reticent to tell you too much about Stranger in a Strange Land because I went into it blind and it was really fun that way but it has some extremely leftist politics. On the other end of the spectrum (sort of), The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is generally considered a libertarian novel. Heinlein's always really political but not always consistently.

My main issue with Heinlein is always the weird sex stuff.

Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

leave a sign ... something witchy

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

imminent beating to a pulp

Benny the Snake posted:

This is who I am and I won't have anyone tell me otherwise.

I'm pretty sure most people that post in this thread know that. That's why they keep teasing you.

Asterie
Oct 24, 2010
I'm not sure if this has been recommended or not as I've only read Benny's posts, but why don't you do freelancing online? I mostly work on oDesk even though it's the shittiest one (I discovered it before the others) and make fairly decent money off it ($18/hour). There are other ones like elance or freelancer and I'm sure many more.

With the amount of effort you've put into job hunting in real life, I really believe you can build a great profile and create a great impression in the online freelancing world.

Good luck!

Megedy
Jan 19, 2013

Oh wow. That means I get to drive.

Asterie posted:

I'm not sure if this has been recommended or not as I've only read Benny's posts, but why don't you do freelancing online? I mostly work on oDesk even though it's the shittiest one (I discovered it before the others) and make fairly decent money off it ($18/hour). There are other ones like elance or freelancer and I'm sure many more.

With the amount of effort you've put into job hunting in real life, I really believe you can build a great profile and create a great impression in the online freelancing world.

Good luck!

This has been suggested many times. Benny has not had much success with it.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Asterie posted:

Good luck!

You've read the posts, this was never about improving his life or being a functioning adult. Mom got mad and he needed goons to take his side.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
I think that's unfair. He's been stubborn as holy gently caress about certain things but he has taken some brave steps toward other goals.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Go back and read the beginning of the thread, it wasn't the OP's idea to move out or get a job or do anything like that, he was essentially pressured into these things by feeling responsible to the thread. The fact that people occasionally hound the OP for updates shows that this isn't really a 2 way dance. Benny vented about a fight his family had and then it spawned into some life improvement thing. The original subject matter was never, "my life has stalled help me get it back on track", that's just what the thread became after everyone learned through multiple posts that OP was 24, unemployed, still living at home. I'm not being unfair to anyone, the way the thread petered out in the last few months with no resolution shows that this was never intended to be any kind of ongoing self-improvement.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Oh, sure, I see what you're saying. But he did respond to certain advice, like "get a job" and "work on your writing" and "make sure you're actually healthy". Even if it was incidental to the purpose of this thread, I feel like he's grown. I think his writing is a little clearer and more direct.

And yes, he has tried to abandon this thread. Fair enough.

I guess I have a soft spot for this dude. Please don't make me go back and read all the weird junk at the beginning about "The Nuclear Option" and his mom's terrible relationship with his brother.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW

Benny the Snake posted:

Applying to jobs like mad. Good news is I'm no longer paranoid: bad news is I'm lethargic. I sleep in 'till 11 now and there are days where I'll nap for five hours straight. I'm going to see a new psychiatrist and talk to him about the lethargy. I swear it must be the meds.

11:00am - Wake up
12:00 - 1:00 - Lunch
1:00 - 6:00 - 5 Hour Nap
6:00 - 800 - Dinner, Comics

When exactly are you applying to jobs like mad?

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Arch Stanton posted:

11:00am - Wake up
12:00 - 1:00 - Lunch
1:00 - 6:00 - 5 Hour Nap
6:00 - 800 - Dinner, Comics

When exactly are you applying to jobs like mad?

I'll have you know, Benny the Snake is currently involved in high level negotiations.

Benny the Snake posted:

Still looking for a Pochyenna and a Shinx. PM me for my friendcode.

Benny the Snake posted:

So anybody have a Pochyena? I have an Evee for trade.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I hear that Pokemans is some serious business.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Adults play pokemon?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

natetimm posted:

Adults play pokemon?

Non-minors play Pokemon. I don't think anyone is calling Benny an adult here.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I think the real question here is what John Steinbeck's favorite Pokemon would be.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Christ people, Benny's done plenty of dumb things but thinking about reading a book is not one of them. No need to rag on the guy for writing the words "John Steinbeck".

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

BKPR posted:

Christ people, Benny's done plenty of dumb things but thinking about reading a book is not one of them. No need to rag on the guy for writing the words "John Steinbeck".

You know when you don't wanna do classwork, so you get the teacher to go off on a rant about something?

"Hey goons, what's your favorite book? Any recommendations?" is a touch less transparent than "What's so sexist about the friendzone?"

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

BKPR posted:

Why would a graduated English major need reinforcement from the internet to read books by John Steinbeck? Especially when it's obvious he would rather spend his days reading comic books and playing Pokemon. It's a front. He's waving something in everyone's face that has the air of legitimacy or sounding productive while continuing to be a huge manchild. He might as well pop into the cinema thread and ask if he should watch The Godfather when we all know he's just going to go watch another comic book movie anyway.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008
Can someone enlighten me on the Pokemon thing?

I mean, I'm "old" at this point, but the last time I remember hearing about Pokemon was what, the mid-late 90's? Is this still a thing? The fact that there's now two useless manchild threads in here with that being a key focal point, I don't get it?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

ThatCguy posted:

I mean, I'm "old" at this point, but the last time I remember hearing about Pokemon was what, the mid-late 90's? Is this still a thing? The fact that there's now two useless manchild threads in here with that being a key focal point, I don't get it?

They keep making up more of them and putting them in new games.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

ThatCguy posted:

You post about wrestling and call people manchildren for playing pokemon?

Benny you need to get a loving job already.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Do it ironically posted:

You post about wrestling and call people manchildren for playing pokemon?

Benny you need to get a loving job already.

Well, no, that's actually not what I wrote, but good attempt at reading comprehension there. I'll type slower next time.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

ThatCguy posted:

Well, no, that's actually not what I wrote, but good attempt at reading comprehension there. I'll type slower next time.

What the gently caress are you doing, in here? You wonder in, talk about kids, pokemon and being old. Here's what you do, gramps. Go to https://www.google.com enter "Pokemon" with your two index fingers, hit the "Google Search" button and read about Pokemon.

cname fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 28, 2013

Chobdab
Aug 16, 2003

You don't know me James, you never did. I am not seeking forgiveness.
What's so childish about wrestling?

Oh the fake kind... haven't watched that poo poo since I was 13

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

cname posted:

What the gently caress are you doing, in here? You wonder in, talk about kids, pokemon and being old. Here's what you do, gramps. Go to https://www.google.com enter "Pokemon" with your two index fingers, hit the "Google Search" button and read about Pokemon.

That is a lot of ire raised over a Japanese kids cartoon.

Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

leave a sign ... something witchy

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

imminent beating to a pulp
It's not about Pokémon being childish, it's about Benny sleeping all day and playing video games while people pretend he's making any headway towards becoming the functional adult he needs to be. He sleeps all day, posts mostly about games and stuff, all the while avoiding this thread where people expect him to check in with news of some meaningful progress.

I don't think Benny wants a job. And that's okay, not everyone likes working. But the point is, he's avoiding it, he's inhumanly incompetent, and probably full of poo poo. Let's not pretend he's made any progress, guys. He's right where he was when he started: jobless, listless, and too dim to navigate a cart safely away from parked cars.

Just let him live at home all day writing about how Batman kicked the poo poo out of Oswald Gobblecock for the hundredth time; it's his true calling.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Sawboss Jones posted:

It's not about Pokémon being childish, it's about Benny sleeping all day and playing video games while people pretend he's making any headway towards becoming the functional adult he needs to be. He sleeps all day, posts mostly about games and stuff, all the while avoiding this thread where people expect him to check in with news of some meaningful progress.

I don't think Benny wants a job. And that's okay, not everyone likes working. But the point is, he's avoiding it, he's inhumanly incompetent, and probably full of poo poo. Let's not pretend he's made any progress, guys. He's right where he was when he started: jobless, listless, and too dim to navigate a cart safely away from parked cars.

Just let him live at home all day writing about how Batman kicked the poo poo out of Oswald Gobblecock for the hundredth time; it's his true calling.

I think we could wait for the medication to equalize a bit before we abandon all hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Benny's doing pretty well. There's a roof over his head and he's pulling Pokemon money from somewhere.

• Locked thread