Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Just beat the game! :toot:

I wouldn't say the game is as good as 1 and 3. More on the level with 2, which had some somewhat bad cases completely redeemed by the good ones.

Case 5 ending:
My mouth was so dry and I could feel my heart trying to pump through my chest when I had to present who I thought the "Phantom" was. Wow. Not to mention his theme was goddamn fantastic with the chorus and everything.

Terper fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Amppelix posted:

Luckily there is never a penalty for failure in these, so just point out every emotion in every statement when you get stuck! :pseudo:

Really, though, even when the game is giving out penalties for failure there's never really any penalty for failure because letting your life bar empty just means you get a free refill and go back maybe ten text boxes max. Honestly I kind of have to wonder why they bothered keeping the whole penalty system around at all.

It's nice not having to save scum when you're floundering about trying to figure out how the game wants you to answer, though.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Scher posted:

The series really has made such a wonderful transition to 3D. The animations are all so well done, and they really add a lot of charm to the characters. However, the animation in case 3 with Robin gazing at the pink, sparkling high heel just bothers me so much. It just makes me cringe every time I see it.

Yeah that's embarrassing. It only appears like three or four times, if it helps. I don't know why they felt the need for it, all of that character's animations are pretty great. except maybe the wagging finger? Her twirl is also under scrutiny... but I liked it.

Unless Robin reappears in case 4 or 5, in which case please name and tag your spoilery replies!

Favourite minor character animation, anyone? Mine, 5-2 - Filch, when he wiggles so far sideways that his hat falls off. :3:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Opposing Farce posted:

Really, though, even when the game is giving out penalties for failure there's never really any penalty for failure because letting your life bar empty just means you get a free refill and go back maybe ten text boxes max. Honestly I kind of have to wonder why they bothered keeping the whole penalty system around at all.

It's nice not having to save scum when you're floundering about trying to figure out how the game wants you to answer, though.

The penalty system is there to discourage random guessing. Even if it inconveniences you only slightly, if there was never any penalty for failure many wouldn't bother ever thinking about their answers. In the mood matrix pointing out wrong gets you three text boxes at most, so it's really easy to just power through all the choices if you have no idea what you're doing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

eating only apples posted:

Yeah that's embarrassing. It only appears like three or four times, if it helps. I don't know why they felt the need for it, all of that character's animations are pretty great. except maybe the wagging finger? Her twirl is also under scrutiny... but I liked it.

Unless Robin reappears in case 4 or 5, in which case please name and tag your spoilery replies!

CASE 3:

I don't like the twirling or the finger wagging. The latter would be better without the punctuation at the end. The hand-over-face thing, I don't really have any feelings either way. It just looks like a dumb teenager being a dumb teenager.

The pink heel animation is funny as poo poo, don't you dare knock it :mad:

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Only up to about the end of case 3, but so far they've mostly been a bore that I've forced myself to trudge through. I can't quite put my finger on why. I wish you could adjust the speed of the text to be faster so I wasn't mashing B the entire time.

The 3D models look great and animate nicely. This is the most boring prosecutor of the series, but his bird owns. Not-Maya is kind of annoying and her gimmick isn't as fun as previous games, but at least it's not psyche locks.

The usual assortment of pop culture references is fun (spotted Pink Floyd lyrics and a Fifty Shades of Grey joke), the overuse of jokes revolving around Trucy's magic panties is not. I like that the word Ergo is abused again. Courtroom pan-o-ramas, finger points in yo face, anime voice acted cutscenes. Game is Japan as gently caress. I hope Edgeworth-Senpai notices me..

If someone had told me that Ace Attorney 5 would be a download only M-rated title with costume dlc, I'd have seriously questioned my sanity. The industry sure has changed in a few short years.

The music isn't as good as 4, either. I get really excited when I hear the themes from 4 cue up during Apollo segments.

So far, I'd rate the series as such: 3 > 4 > 1 > 2 > Investigations. Take my opinions accordingly.

MarioTeachesWiping fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 26, 2013

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Pollyanna posted:

CASE 3:

I don't like the twirling or the finger wagging. The latter would be better without the punctuation at the end. The hand-over-face thing, I don't really have any feelings either way. It just looks like a dumb teenager being a dumb teenager.

The pink heel animation is funny as poo poo, don't you dare knock it :mad:

OK fair enough!

Case 3: I think the pink heel animation is a little inappropriate. That's all. I like the twirling, and the sassy finger is bad because it slows the trial down for a matter for seconds. I'm not sure what you mean about the punctuation?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

OK fair enough!

Case 3: I think the pink heel animation is a little inappropriate. That's all. I like the twirling, and the sassy finger is bad because it slows the trial down for a matter for seconds. I'm not sure what you mean about the punctuation?

I can see how it'd be offensive, but to me it's just too comical to take seriously. Fair point on that, though. And I don't like the twirling just cause I prefer more subdued actions.

The punctuation refers to when she ends her sentences like T−H−I−S! She does the action but not the punctuation thing sometimes, and it's fine then.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Cyra posted:

Only up to about the end of case 3, but so far they've mostly been a bore that I've forced myself to trudge through. I can't quite put my finger on why. I wish you could adjust the speed of the text to be faster so I wasn't mashing B the entire time.

I dunno, I'm actually really enjoying how the text speed reflects the emotions of the character speaking. Blackquill often speaks v e r y s l o w l y, when he's thinking, for example.

Cyra posted:

The 3D models look great and animate nicely. This is the most boring prosecutor of the series, but his bird owns. Not-Maya is kind of annoying and her gimmick isn't as fun as previous games, but at least it's not psyche locks.

case 3 I legit miss psyche-locks, I hope they make a return later. If they don't I don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't got there yet.

Cyra posted:

The usual assortment of pop culture references is fun (spotted Pink Floyd lyrics and a Fifty Shades of Grey joke), the overuse of jokes regarding Trucy's panties is not. I like that the word Ergo is abused again. Courtroom pan-o-ramas, finger points in yo face, anime voice acted cutscenes. Game is Japan as gently caress. I hope Edgworth-Senpai notices me..

They're really making the most out of the 3D to... some kind of effect, for sure. Lots of things pointed or thrown at the screen, especially in case 3. Trucy's panties... well, whatever. We know they're her magic bloomers or whatever. If the AJ team had localised them as such there'd be no objections (:D). It was creepy at first, back then, but by now we all know what's intended.

I'm not so into the voices either. I'm still not altogether on board with Apollo's VA, and some of the minor character's acting is really bad. case 3 and Yuri Lowenthal didn't even try a German accent for Klavier, I was so sad.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sherringford posted:

Yeah I don't think it's perfect, but I it's enough of a justification for me to roll with it for a while. I think they kept him fairly competent for the first case at least. I mean, the man stayed inside a building that could have been bombed any second because he trusted himself to be right. That's...some degree of change from 1-3 Phoenix, I think. But yeah sometimes it does feel like the change is a bit inconsistent. The most I can justify to myself is that he never really stopped being a goof but puts on an act in front of Apollo and Athena to be a good teacher, but still, yeah. There are a few moments it feels a bit weird, but nothing has struck me as too weird so far. Then again I'm still finishing up case 3, so maybe it gets more jarring later.

That seems fairly consistent in how he acts when you speak to them while playing as him, too. He'll go into Dad Mode if you talk to Trucy as him as well. Phoenix also seems a lot more on-the-ball court-wise, though this is a lot more apparent in later cases.

A difference I like is how the protagonists conduct themselves in-court. Athena jumps the gun a lot and has to struggle her way through, Apollo can spot contradictions fairly easily but isn't great at figuring out what they mean, and Phoenix is generally pretty on-top of things but the odds tend to be stacked against him super-hard. It's kinda like beginner-intermediate-advanced in character form.

YKNOW WHAT THIS THREAD NEEDS MORE BLACK BOXES

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
The witness breakdown at the end of Case 3 was awesome.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Cyra posted:

The usual assortment of pop culture references is fun (spotted Pink Floyd lyrics and a Fifty Shades of Grey joke), the overuse of jokes revolving around Trucy's magic panties is not. I like that the word Ergo is abused again. Courtroom pan-o-ramas, finger points in yo face, anime voice acted cutscenes. Game is Japan as gently caress. I hope Edgeworth-Senpai notices me..

If someone had told me that Ace Attorney 5 would be a download only M-rated title with costume dlc, I'd have seriously questioned my sanity. The industry sure has changed in a few short years.

The music isn't as good as 4, either. I get really excited when I hear the themes from 4 cue up during Apollo segments.

So far, I'd rate the series as such: 3 > 4 > 1 > 2 > Investigations. Take my opinions accordingly.

Does Japan means anything anymore, or is it just a goonword for "things from Japan I don't like"? I mean, I'm not sold on a few things about that game, but seriously, whining about the M rating? Complaining about things that are in the serie since the very beginning? Seems a bit unfair.

e: VVV Okay, I agree with you on that one, that was one thing that should have been buried in AA4's casket.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 27, 2013

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Iceclaw posted:

Does Japan means anything anymore, or is it just a goonword for "things from Japan I don't like"? I mean, I'm not sold on a few things about that game, but seriously, whining about the M rating? Complaining about things that are in the serie since the very beginning? Seems a bit unfair.
That stuff was more of an observation than a complaint. The pantie jokes revolving around an underage girl are pretty "things from Japan I don't like" though.

Scher
Sep 15, 2011

~Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom~
The case 3 villain was a lot better than I was expecting. Thought it was great when he went into full out teacher mode with chalkboard. The breakdown was also pretty good. I'm guessing the really jagged G at the end was for guilty? His breakdown must have been an interesting one to localize.

Overall, I'm mostly enjoying the cases in the game. Case 3 did kind of go on for longer than it should have, and the whole trying to replicate the appearance of the statue using a human body was just kind of stupid, though. Guess it's time to see how the rest of the game goes.

Oh, and something interesting I just found when looking at stuff for case 3. For anyone else that might have been confused that Means was holding his spear at the beginning of the case even though it's established that he stuck it in the dead body to emulate the statue, that was apparently a bug and he wasn't holding it in the japanese version.

Scher fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 27, 2013

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Cyra posted:

That stuff was more of an observation than a complaint. The pantie jokes revolving around an underage girl are pretty "things from Japan I don't like" though.

I think if they'd localised it as "bloomers" no one would care. It's clearly bloomers, she shows them repeatedly in both this game and in AJ - it's a trick item and not actual panties that anyone would wear.

e: it would spoil the joke to call them as such. But the joke should have been a throwaway line in 4-2, and it ended up being included in several cases, so I think bloomers is the appropriate term... but either way it's really obviously not actually talking about a teenager's underwear.

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 27, 2013

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Scher posted:

Means was holding his spear at the beginning of the case even though it's established that he stuck it in the dead body to emulate the statue, that was apparently a bug and he wasn't holding it in the japanese version.

Oh man, I was really confused by that! I took it to mean he had an extra spear and he somehow disposed of the other one with his usual means.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Can we just talk for a second how amazingly catchy this song is?

(Polsy'd YouTube link, so usual YouTube related spoiler warnings still in effect)

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

I think if they'd localised it as "bloomers" no one would care. It's clearly bloomers, she shows them repeatedly in both this game and in AJ - it's a trick item and not actual panties that anyone would wear.

e: it would spoil the joke to call them as such. But the joke should have been a throwaway line in 4-2, and it ended up being included in several cases, so I think bloomers is the appropriate term... but either way it's really obviously not actually talking about a teenager's underwear.
I get that they're not her real underwear and that they're a magical prop, but the jokes are always played off as her unintentionally saying some sort of sexual innuendo involving her "magical panties" that she's naive of but Apollo picks up on. I don't know if that's more a fault of the translation or the source, I'm inclined to say both. Either way it's unnecessarily creepy, and the humor is a pretty expressly Japanese thing.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Case 5, Day 1 Investigation:

Edgeworth: Wright, stop presenting random evidence just to see how people react

HOW DID HE KNOW :tinfoil:

Wasper
Oct 3, 2012

Cyra posted:

Only up to about the end of case 3,

the overuse of jokes revolving around Trucy's magic panties is not.

Wait, they actually bring that thing up more than once? I just remember it showing up To remove evidence, there wasn't even a joke to it.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hey, about case 3's first trial day: Robin being actually a girl but raised a boy? That's totally a How I Met Your Mother reference, isn't it? The name's even the freaking same.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Just finished case 3. It was good, but it felt like it...I want to say dragged, but that's not quite it. I mean the case didn't quite feel like a chore, just... a bit bloated? Like there were a lot of details and contradictions that didn't add much to the overall mystery and could have been trimmed a bit. Still liked it, but I prefer case 2.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I didn't care much for case 3 until the final trial day. Then it became excellent. Still preferred the first two but 3 has a lot going for it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Case 5 gotdang.

I gotta say I'm really enjoying how the cast all play off each other and how controlling each of keeps their personalities distinct. Show your badge to everyone!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Why is Furio Tigre: Fradulent Attorney not a game? I wanna show THAT badge around.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Well I beat the game.

[Entire Game Spoilers]

I didn't like it. Overall, I thought this was the worst AA game yet.

Before I get into that, I'd like to say that I really REALLY liked case 2. Definitely the best case in the game, or at least it was the case I enjoyed the most. The pro-wrestling mixed with yokai curses gimmick actually worked well enough to be funny without turning me off to it. I'd actually place this case as one of my favorite non-main-story cases. More generally, I liked the animations and music for the whole game well enough too. Case 1 was OK too.

Case 3 was pretty awful though. I don't think anyone liked or cared about the whole friendship angle the case was going for, and this case was the worst offender about being blunt with its themes. The end justifies the means! We're in the dark age of the law! Means means dark age means! And that's not even bringing up the whole Robin thing, which really left a bad taste in my mouth for most of the case. I wish they just didn't even try to make that a thing, because she would have been fine as a quirky character without that "gender secret" aspect. I mean, did they not expect to offend a ton of people by doing that?

Splitting up Case 4 and 5 they way they did seemed kind of a cheap way of extending the number of cases, because they're the exact same case, just with different defendants. The murder mystery was built up fairly well in case 4, but the whole revelation of the phantom spy kind of made the entire thing dumb. When I realized the game was pointing to Fulbright as the spy, I got excited because this was the kind of twist that made 1-4 and 3-5 so good, but it turns out the entire motivation and character behind him was literally non-existent. He was just some stupid nebulous concept of evil and treachery, literally without a face or identity. That's not the kind of character who I want to be the mastermind. And it's like, who even was that spy? What was he even doing, specifically? Getting paid to be evil? It's like if they made the assassin from 2-4 the main villain without having Matt Engarde as the character to actually hate.

I could revel in the blatant fanservice of the Phoenix/Edgeworth trial, but the situation behind it was really absurd to the point of bad writing. Especially after they figure out the mystery behind the UR-1 incident, why did they have the actual trial for Athena right then and there too? The whole time the trial was supposed to be unofficial, but suddenly they can make the official trial for Athena start a day early, in the ruins of an exploded courtroom? Just because Apollo needs to have his moment then and there? The writing in the last two cases felt really sloppy.

Not to mention the difficulty being so toned down I hardly felt like I was solving anything. A number of times throughout the game, I would figure something out and realize what evidence I would need to present next, but then the characters would spell out pretty much exactly what I had figured out on my own. It kind of cheapened everything. The game treated me like I wasn't going over the court record at all, and was just forgetting every piece of evidence if it hadn't been brought up in the past two minutes. People complained about the investigation segments in previous games being their least favorite parts, but that doesn't mean they should have neutered them down to essentially visual novels. Not being able to investigate the non-crime-scene areas was bad enough, but they also would outright tell you what evidence to present to witnesses to advance the plot. Not being able to present character profiles was also a step back.

Maybe I had too high of expectations going into this, because I was hoping for a story as good at AA3. But in my opinion, it was worse than Apollo Justice. I'm leaving a lot out, both of things I liked and didn't, but this post is already long enough.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
Oh god, case 3's Metal Gear references were great. There was a Harvey Birdman quip in there too, I think.

Regarding the whole "this game is more anime than past titles", I wouldn't necessarily say that's the case, just that it's a little harder to translate this time around. Case 2, particularly, due to the subject matter, suffers from breaking my immersion by reminding me that there's a whole host of cultural references that I might not be picking up on.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
I'm still playing through Case 2 but I'm loving hearing remixes of old songs. I really liked Apollo Justice's courtroom theme and it's awesome hearing it again.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just finished the game.

:cry:

All in all, that was pretty loving great. It's the best of the Ace Attorney games so far.

Case 5 was...one hell of a rollercoaster. It's certainly better than 1, 3, and 4's last cases. Convoluted as gently caress, but it had some awesome moments and great thrills. Examples: Space :911:, Athena's PTSD :ohdear:, Aura/Metis :swoon: (I'm a sucker for that kinda story, what can I say), Pearlyyyyyyy :neckbeard:, Edgewoooooorth :neckbeard:, Poncooooooo :neckbeard:, Fulbriiiiiiight :gonk:, :rock: MOTHERFUCKIN' BLACK PSYCHELOCKS :rock:, all the crazy bullshit twists and turns in the courtroom :objection:, Apollo's speech at Athena's trial :cry:, Phantom's cornering and breakdown :magical:.

Also I totally called Fulbright being a bad guy back in like Case 4. He just seemed way too off to me, and by the time the Phantom became a major character it was too late to introduce someone - so I figured they'd have to surprise us with someone who hadn't gotten any development. And I was right!

By the way, you know how Athena sometimes gets that thousand yard stare in the game? It's creepy enough already, but next time you come across it, take a look at Widget.

I'd say...

AA5 >= AA2 > AA3 > AA4 = AA1.

AA2 gets dragged down by that goddamn circus case. I don't think there was an equivalent in this one. Maybe Case 3, but I give it a pass because it didn't drag on and it had :allears: Myriam :allears: who might be my favorite character in the game. She needed more face time (literally, too).

I dunno about you guys, but I like Athena. Definitely not Mary Sue material; she's the focus of the game much like Apollo was the focus of his. ...Well, actually, he wasn't really, but for the sake of the argument AA4 was his game :shrug: I hope she sticks around for the next games if there are any.

The new graphics and absolutely hilarious facial expressions/animations definitely helped breathe some life into the series. I was worried that the 3D models would look kinda weird, but they actually look better than the sprites. It's amazing how well the crazyfaces translate to cel shading (or whatever it is).

I know I bitched about Robin earlier in the thread, but now I don't think the character was all that bad. Just, kinda mishandled. Could have been better, but not really a big deal. I still like Robin, though admittedly I'm biased :shobon: I wouldn't mind seeing her in another game, if it means a chance for some more character development. Kinda like how I was glad to see Adrian in AA3.

The one thing I really didn't like about the game, though, was the anime cutscenes. The voice acting was kinda meh and they really weren't impressive enough to earn their keep. I did like the one with Juniper and Hugh, though, that was nice and creepy. Also, Athena's flashbacks.

Also gently caress you when are we gonna see MAYA. I MISS YOU MAYA come back :(

Strange Quark posted:

Hey, about case 3's first trial day: Robin being actually a girl but raised a boy? That's totally a How I Met Your Mother reference, isn't it? The name's even the freaking same.

CASE 3:

Robin's a common androgynous name, and the girl-raised-as-boy thing is old as gently caress. The translators probably did name her that as a reference, though obviously the Japanese version wouldn't have.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I got to the big culprit unveil in Case 5.

Imagine four :aaaaa:s on the edge of a cliff, etc.

My mind now works the same way. I was surprised Phoenix's face wasn't stuck in that shock animation of his for five minutes because mine sure was :gonk:

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

nftyw posted:

I got to the big culprit unveil in Case 5.

Imagine four :aaaaa:s on the edge of a cliff, etc.

My mind now works the same way.
It definitely made up for the first two cases revealing the murderer right away.

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.
Just started the game last night, been liking the game so far but I was just wondering, is Bum Rap Rhiny going to become a main character in the game, like Mr. Hat in Apollo Justice? I'll be very disappointed if he doesn't

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Just finished case 3, and loving the game so far, but I've got some weird problem that it doesn't seem anyone else seems to be having, at least from what I can see from going through the thread avoiding black bars.

A lot of the evidence I can check in the Court Records just won't have any text on them when examined for closer details. Like the Autopsy Report and stuff. It'll appear at certain times when I check it, but randomly goes missing, following no particular pattern. Only noticed it in this case, but coulda been around before that.

Anyone else run into that?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Hortism posted:

Just finished case 3, and loving the game so far, but I've got some weird problem that it doesn't seem anyone else seems to be having, at least from what I can see from going through the thread avoiding black bars.

A lot of the evidence I can check in the Court Records just won't have any text on them when examined for closer details. Like the Autopsy Report and stuff. It'll appear at certain times when I check it, but randomly goes missing, following no particular pattern. Only noticed it in this case, but coulda been around before that.

I noticed what seemed to be missing text in the end credits as well as occasionally when trying to check previous statements in the message log. Guess they shouldn't have subcontracted out to Blue Screens Inc, they just went downhill when they lost Glen.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Just finished the game, too.

Upsides: Ponco was probably my favorite character, her thinking animation was pretty adorable and she was just so happy. :3: Music and meltdown animations were great as always, especially the case 4 meltdown animation, though case 3's was really good too. Blackquill's theories were pretty fun, every time you plugged a couple contradictions Blackquill would just reconstruct the entire situation from scratch and have a totally different, but still completely valid, way that things went down.

Downsides: I never want to hear the words "dark age of the law" ever again. I also cannot believe that I played through the entire game and did not see a single "In Justice we trust!"/"Hi, I'm Apollo Justice"-style joke. Not a single one. Yeah, I know, it's a low hanging fruit, but still.

I wish these games had a 'logic: hard mode' where they wouldn't ever give you "..but the murder weapon isn't in this picture, therefore.." internal monologue hints just from hitting the end of the testimony. Hell, preferably not even from pressing. I mean, obviously, they need to give you information so you can advance when you press, but when you press and it says "I saw the victim get stabbed seven times" and Phoenix goes "(..Hey, that doesn't match up with that evidence.)" all the time, it gets kinda old. Yes, thank you Phoenix, I would have loved to at least try to see if that statement contradicts something before you just straight-up tell me that it does. I suppose that's just a general Phoenix Wright complaint, though.

Pollyanna posted:

I just finished the game.
MASSIVE CASE 5 SPOILERS
Also I totally called Fulbright being a bad guy back in like Case 4. He just seemed way too off to me, and by the time the Phantom became a major character it was too late to introduce someone - so I figured they'd have to surprise us with someone who hadn't gotten any development. And I was right!
MASSIVE CASE 5 SPOILERS
I.. somehow never had that occur to me, even though "the detective did it" is becoming more and more common nowadays. Gumshoe spoiled me, I guess. :(

For most of case 5 I actually thought the spy was Juniper or at least she was related somehow. Right after they introduce the spy's existence, Juniper shows up at the most random place, talks about how she knew Athena here at the space center 7 years ago (when the murder/HAT-1 bombings were), then runs off and never shows up again. She was in every single all of the arc-relevant cases (if you treat 4 and 5 as the same). She was the snitch at school, which is kinda spy-ish sorta, and she already showed she could stab her friends in the back, the ends justify the means and all. A few minutes later, oh, hey, leaves in the corridor. Who has leaves in their hair? We then see Ted Tonate confess to someone else stealing the detonator and setting off the bomb -- and Juniper was there at the courthouse, in a position to do that.

Needless to say, I went "hell yes!" when Phoenix clicked the ladder memory into place, since guessing the culprit so far in advance suuuucks.. then I groaned once the masks started coming off, since I thought there was still room for Juniper to be the culprit, even though it was flaky since we therapied her earlier in the game. But, nope. She's perfectly fine and non-murderous in the credits :)

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Oct 27, 2013

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011
Just finished the game. Absolutely loved it, though there's something I need clarified.

MASSIVE CASE 5 SPOILERS

It's revealed at the end that the real Fulbright was killed, and the one we encounter throughout the game was the phantom all along. Edgeworth revealed that Fulbright had been dead for a year (if I recall correctly), but how long was Fulbright trying to reform Blackquil? Did Blackquil not notice when Fulbright was replaced?

EDIT: On that note, while I miss Gumshoe, I liked Fulbright, and understand why he replaced Gumshoe in this one. After all,the villain reveal about Fulbright only works because we had a full game establishing him as Gumshoe's replacement as "silly detective"... if he had to share that spotlight, or if he had less time to establish himself in that role, I feel the revelation of his true identity wouldn't have made as much of an impact. That said, I do hope Gumshoe comes back at some point.

TheBystander fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Oct 27, 2013

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Wow, did we all finish the game at the same time? Massive case 5 spoilers as well:

I had to stop playing for a bit to let my jaw drop when:

* Edgeworth showed up for the first time
* I had to point out the phantom

gently caress, man, I thought Fulbright was just your usual Ace Attorney goofy-as-poo poo character. You got me good, game.

TheBystander posted:

It's revealed at the end that the real Fulbright was killed, and the one we encounter throughout the game was the phantom all along. Edgeworth revealed that Fulbright had been dead for a year (if I recall correctly), but how long was Fulbright trying to reform Blackquil? Did Blackquil not notice when Fulbright was replaced?

I think there was a line in case 5 where Blackquill mentioned he had been working with Fulbright for a year, so this fits.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Hortism posted:

I've noticed the same thing happening in the text log. It seems to start happening once the game's been running for a while-- I tried turning my 3DS off and on at one point and when I started the game back up the text that had been missing from the log reappeared.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I wish I had more time to play :( I bought it as soon as it appeared on the eshop, and I'm only now up to the first trial section of case 2.

How long is each case, using the first case as a yardstick?

edit: Also could a few people who've just finished the game pop open Activity Log on their 3DSes and tell me their total play time? A few datapoints might reveal an average, and I want to know if I can finish this off before Layton comes out :D

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Christ I wish the English version had just set itself in Japan from the beginning. The amount of times they've brushed off Japanese architecture, legends or culture with 'those crazy tourists love this Japanese crap' is mind boggling.

• Locked thread