Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

Who is the ugliest luchadore to ever be unmasked, Psicosis, Juventud, someone else? Has anyone ever been so ugly they made them put the mask back on?

Your mom :) And Jigsaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Bigass Moth posted:

Who is the ugliest luchadore to ever be unmasked, Psicosis, Juventud, someone else? Has anyone ever been so ugly they made them put the mask back on?

Rey Mysterio.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

Q_res posted:

Rey Mysterio.

I think Rey is more a fear that channel surfers will wonder why the wrestleman is beating up a child.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
So I picked up the 'Best of In Your House' Blu-Ray, and it's a ton of fun.

Having them bring back Todd Pettengill is a nice nod to that era, and the match selection is pretty great, too.

My only real gripe about this and most other WWE compilations is the price. The sticker price was $27, but some trade-ins knocked quite a few dollars off. Whereas a lot of event BDs end up dropping in price (I know I can pick up Royal Rumble blus for around $9-13), compilations and documentaries usually remain the same. Why is this? I'd like to pick up the Punk one some day, but I want to wait until it gets down to around $10.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Demand for PPV DVD's drops quite rapidly after a couple of months of their release, so the price follows suit. By contrast the complilation and documentary dvds have a much longer relevant shelf life and so take longer to be reduced in price.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

jalopybrown posted:

I think Rey is more a fear that channel surfers will wonder why the wrestleman is beating up a child.

I think it's more that WWE knew from the jump they could make bank selling masks to kids.

But I thought it'd be funnier the way I told it.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Cody had that angle with Sin Cara where he claimed he was hideous under the mask (and had a ridiculous caricature to prove it).

In reality, when Del Rio pulled up his mask that one time he didn't look like much of a looker.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

jalopybrown posted:

Yeah Rey is anything but ugly. Psicosis gives me nightmares.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

WeaponX posted:

Cody had that angle with Sin Cara where he claimed he was hideous under the mask (and had a ridiculous caricature to prove it).

In reality, when Del Rio pulled up his mask that one time he didn't look like much of a looker.

http://www.pwpix.net/superstars/m/mistico/gallery/sin-cara-unmasked/gallery1/001.jpg

Sin Cara apparently unmasked when he was still Mistico.

I'll just post a link to the pic in case anyone would prefer not knowing.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Sin Cara is Scotty 2 Hotty. It *all makes sense*.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
U Look Fly 2 Day

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

The Shaman of Cum posted:

Your mom :) And Jigsaw

In the center:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Ruckus manages to be the least ridiculous looking guy in that picture.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Gran Akuma

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

dsriggs posted:

In the center:

Good god it's like when he knocked Blaster's mask off in Beyond Thunderdome.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
I know some men & women have said that being in one of the WWE video games can be very lucrative for a very long time, so how do they manage payments for guys like Razor Ramon and Big John Studd who don't work for them? For that matter, what do they do about people who are dead, like Andre?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Red posted:

So I picked up the 'Best of In Your House' Blu-Ray, and it's a ton of fun.

Having them bring back Todd Pettengill is a nice nod to that era, and the match selection is pretty great, too.

My only real gripe about this and most other WWE compilations is the price. The sticker price was $27, but some trade-ins knocked quite a few dollars off. Whereas a lot of event BDs end up dropping in price (I know I can pick up Royal Rumble blus for around $9-13), compilations and documentaries usually remain the same. Why is this? I'd like to pick up the Punk one some day, but I want to wait until it gets down to around $10.

The Best Buys and Targets of the world will have sale prices on stuff the week it's released a lot of the time.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

BlueArmyMan posted:

I know some men & women have said that being in one of the WWE video games can be very lucrative for a very long time, so how do they manage payments for guys like Razor Ramon and Big John Studd who don't work for them? For that matter, what do they do about people who are dead, like Andre?

I guess just royalty checks like: http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2012/0403/551430/ and if the person is dead then just make it out to the estate.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

BlueArmyMan posted:

BJS is also pretty dead, man.

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you that.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

BlueArmyMan posted:

The contracts are with 2k games, not the WWE, so Andre would go through his estate, everyone else is paid directly.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

LvK posted:

BJS is also pretty dead, man.

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you that.

Well, he's still not working for them, so I'm technically not wrong :v:

I honestly didn't know that.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

How many people have held the top title as well as a secondary singles title at the same time, even if they immediately vacate the lesser title? Warrior, Goldberg. Who else?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

oldpainless posted:

How many people have held the top title as well as a secondary singles title at the same time, even if they immediately vacate the lesser title? Warrior, Goldberg. Who else?

Shawn Michaels held the euro and WWE titles in fall 1997.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

oldpainless posted:

Kurt Angle in TNA? I think at one point he held every title he could hold
Rob Van Dam (WWE and ECW champ)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oldpainless posted:

Triple H unified the IC and WHC titles, Booker held the US title when he won the WCW title on the final Nitro. Flair unified the WCW World and WCW World International Titles before Hogan debuted. Bryan Danielson unified the ROH World title and ROH Pure Title. I don't know if Aries and Sabin would count.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

crankdatbatman posted:

This may be a dumb question, but are there any wrestling story arcs that involve the face losing cleanly to the heel, committing to some kind of transformation or learning something new, then coming back and beating the heel (in other words, the classic hero storyline)?
This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but I think Dreamer lost clean to Raven again and again before finally beating him.

Solomonic posted:

In kayfabe reasoning, why is a wrist-clutch version of a move more effective than the basic version?
Puro is literally a video game where every extra overcomplicated thing you do adds a damage point.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 28, 2013

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Many of the wrist clutch moves alter the angle at which the opponent takes the move.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Also one less arm free is one less arm to attempt to protect your fall with.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

How does adding a wrist clutch make Marufuji's Perfect Inside Cradle impossible to kick out of?

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

dsriggs posted:

In the center:

When did Barnacle Jim get the tattoo

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Do we have posters that are nostalgic for the worst of 2000s WWE yet? I'm hit and miss on which threads I read, so I'm not sure if we've actually had anyone young enough to insist that the Undertaker vs. Dudleys feud was great or anything.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Bring back Snitsky.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nut Bunnies posted:

Many of the wrist clutch moves alter the angle at which the opponent takes the move.
This was how a wrestler friend explained it to me, but I stand by my position that Japanese people all know that they're video game characters.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

Bring back Snitsky.

Wait. Sleeveless Tux baby-punting Snitsky, or bald Snitsky with bad hygiene?

Answer carefully.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Red posted:

Wait. Sleeveless Tux baby-punting Snitsky, or bald Snitsky with bad hygiene?

Answer carefully.

Baby punting or bust.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Which one used to lick May Young's feet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv3dr91-0DA

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 28, 2013

Gar
May 13, 2005
I got the Playstation but I still play the Sega

Rodney the Piper posted:

Do we have posters that are nostalgic for the worst of 2000s WWE yet? I'm hit and miss on which threads I read, so I'm not sure if we've actually had anyone young enough to insist that the Undertaker vs. Dudleys feud was great or anything.

I watched WCW and WWE before 2000 but I feel like the Invasion was the first thing that loving hooked me. I can recognize it's huge flaws in retrospect, but I couldn't get enough of it.

I remember the night The Rock returned and was going to pick a side. I was coming back from vacation with my family and I was yelling at my mom to speed so I wouldn't miss Raw.

I don't know where I fall in the age range though.. I'm almost 25.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Gar posted:

I watched WCW and WWE before 2000 but I feel like the Invasion was the first thing that loving hooked me. I can recognize it's huge flaws in retrospect, but I couldn't get enough of it.

I remember the night The Rock returned and was going to pick a side. I was coming back from vacation with my family and I was yelling at my mom to speed so I wouldn't miss Raw.

I don't know where I fall in the age range though.. I'm almost 25.

That angle had a sparkle of hope. Things like Heidenreich, the Steiner-HHH feud, or the McMahon-Orton WrestleMania match which opened with a lock up, really didn't. I'm curious when we'll get people on here who not only defend those awful angles but actively indicate they're the reason they started watching.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Rodney the Piper posted:

That angle had a sparkle of hope. Things like Heidenreich, the Steiner-HHH feud, or the McMahon-Orton WrestleMania match which opened with a lock up, really didn't. I'm curious when we'll get people on here who not only defend those awful angles but actively indicate they're the reason they started watching.

Well, I originally started watching because I saw a Honky Tonk Man vs. Andre the Giant match at my grandparents' house, and thought it was fun to see Andre toss HTM around. Around this time, I got a handful of AWA tapes, and really loved those - a lot of them had the Road Warriors, Rick Martel, "Big" Scott Hall, and so forth. I liked the simple stories and colorful characters, and all the tapes I had were in a review format hosted by Sgt. Slaughter.

I watched wrestling sporadically, but really, I'd say I jumped in when Hogan finally lost the title to Undertaker, because it was shocking at the time for Hogan to lose. I also really dug the Macho/Jake thing, and the 1992 Rumble was amazing. I hung on with this until, I think, Bret lost the title to Backlund, and Diesel took over. I really liked Diesel as a huge thug, but not as champion, and I checked out of wrestling for his entire run.

Shawn's concussion angle at the '96 Rumble brought me back again, and I hung on until Unforgiven 1999, when HHH won a 6-man match. I didn't really have any interest in HHH as 'the guy', so I stopped watching until the WWF bought WCW, and stuck with that until Bradshaw beat Eddie for the belt, which I hated. After that, I was off and on (mostly off) until Nexus, then gave up when Cena won SummerSlam, but bought back in for Summer of Punk, but gave up when Punk drowned in HHH/Nash, but came back for DBD, but gave up when they used him to put over Sheamus, but came back when

You see where I'm going with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Bigass Moth posted:

Bring back Snitsky.

Remember when he was mega pushed? Like he was beating Kane clean.