Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

evol262 posted:

It's like you didn't even read the second half of the post. And generalizations are generally true. They are not tautologies.

Please don't take generalized career/how to survive and advance in an office on environment advice as "he says bosses are nice in 100% of cases and mine wasn't!"

Ok, but...

evol262 posted:

Management is not vindictive.

This is what sparked this discussion. You presented that statement as a fact and then argued with people who disagreed with that presentation. You've since softened your position on that point so it sounds like we all now agree that management can sometimes be vindictive, and all that remains to discuss is how common vindictive management is.

Since that's not really appropriate for this thread, there's not much point derailing any further.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Goons are generally pedantic.

Discuss.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Pretty much this ^

rolleyes posted:

This is what sparked this discussion. You presented that statement as a fact and then argued with people who disagreed with that presentation. You've since softened your position on that point so it sounds like we all now agree that management can sometimes be vindictive, and all that remains to discuss is how common vindictive management is.

Well, no. That statement is still a fact. I disagreed with people who said "but this one manager at one job" and "hostile == vindictive" because a bunch of pedantic goons have no idea what a generalization is. I haven't softened my position whatsoever. Management is not vindictive. Some (few) managers are vindictive towards some (few) employees. As a generalization, management (as a whole, whether a group of people or an organizational unit) is not vindictive towards employees (as a whole or an organizational unit), and sperging about how your boss is unfair and has it out for you just encourages other people who don't know how to navigate corporate politics to get a chip on their shoulder about their lovely "vindictive" bosses when they have no idea what pressures their bosses are under and are clearly working outside the bounds of their job descriptions.

So, no, it's not about discussing how common vindictive management is. It's about discussing how often employees interpret management pushback to stupid, impractical, badly-presented, or unmaintainable ideas as "vindictive".

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
:siren:I think this derail has run its course:siren:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Alereon posted:

:siren:I think this derail has run its course:siren:

Counterpoint: Not all derails run their course. :v:

(oh god please don't probate me)

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Moderation is not vindictive.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
We have a locally hosted Jira setup going on here. You can now get a hosted version if you want. Someone in our other office decided that rather than even trying to get stuff setup on our Jira to setup a hosted instance of it and tie it into what ever systems they need to use (mainly Salesforce).

All of this was done without any consultation with IT at all.

Now the bleed over has started. 6am Monday morning I received an email asking to be made an admin. 615 am a new email was sent out, cc'ing a few directors too, basically going from asking for project admin to what essentially amounts to full domain admin.

This is not going to end well.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I'm a quasi-intern at a smallish sized company (~50 people) that runs conferences. They basically hired me part-time to put out small fires while the two IT people put out the real fires and try to drag the company kicking and screaming into the 21st century, and now can't afford to get rid of me. One of my jobs involves the way our customers get their content posted online. Without going into too much detail, they are sent a word doc with the conference basic template, make changes to it, and send it back where some program reads it and makes the applicable changes (this program has been a "temporary stopgap" for at least five years while the actual interface for posting stuff gets finished, but the two real IT guys are always putting out fires and have no time to work on it. Right now the estimated rollout date for the new interface is 2016).

Now, our customers are typically terrible at following simple instructions, as all customers are, so when a doc breaks the cobbled-together program, it gets sent to me to post manually (basically just fooling around with some HTML). This can take anywhere from 15 minutes to hours depending on how terrible the customer is at following directions. Usually the mistakes are something simple, like they decide not to use the template we send them, and instead make up their own document, or they decide to say "gently caress your guidelines, I'm going to schedule lunch at 10 am". Last Tuesday, I got such an issue that floored me in it's stupidity.

Instead of just describing what I got, I'm going to do a little bit of roleplaying. I'm a department head at a fairly prestigious college in the USA, and I get a template. Upon this template there are simple instructions, amounting to "make changes on this document and return it to us". Well that's fairly easy, I'll just print out this word document and scrawl on it in sharpie.

Oh wait, how do I return this to them? I should probably scan this into my computer. Great, now I have a PDF with the information on it! Unfortunately, though, the template only had room for me to fill in the titles of the sessions, not the actual content. That's ok, I have this nifty tool that lets me add sticky notes to the PDF. Surely those will be easy to decipher.

Ok, this is great! I have my sharpie'd up pdf with notes all over it. Now I'll just throw this in a folder, zip it up, and send it off!

I responded to him letting him know this was not acceptable, and he would need to follow our format and give us a doc that was something resembling workable and please hurry, because you're a week overdue. I just sat down to an angry email to me, my boss, and the director of the company about how he is being mistreated and we are not respecting him or his position, and why don't we fix this issue. This is going to be so fun.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

A bloo bloo my laptop is too heavy for when I travel, I need a new one :cry:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

GreenNight posted:

I'll be more than happy to help you. Please show evidence of a disability related to this and i'll get right on it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

nitrogen posted:

I'll be more than happy to help you. Please show evidence of a disability related to this and i'll get right on it.

I think he's mad because the boss man has been telling me to use the Surface Pro I got in all my meetings and now jealousy abounds.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ranbo das posted:

I'm a quasi-intern at a smallish sized company (~50 people) that runs conferences. They basically hired me part-time to put out small fires while the two IT people put out the real fires and try to drag the company kicking and screaming into the 21st century, and now can't afford to get rid of me. One of my jobs involves the way our customers get their content posted online. Without going into too much detail, they are sent a word doc with the conference basic template, make changes to it, and send it back where some program reads it and makes the applicable changes (this program has been a "temporary stopgap" for at least five years while the actual interface for posting stuff gets finished, but the two real IT guys are always putting out fires and have no time to work on it. Right now the estimated rollout date for the new interface is 2016).

Now, our customers are typically terrible at following simple instructions, as all customers are, so when a doc breaks the cobbled-together program, it gets sent to me to post manually (basically just fooling around with some HTML). This can take anywhere from 15 minutes to hours depending on how terrible the customer is at following directions. Usually the mistakes are something simple, like they decide not to use the template we send them, and instead make up their own document, or they decide to say "gently caress your guidelines, I'm going to schedule lunch at 10 am". Last Tuesday, I got such an issue that floored me in it's stupidity.

Instead of just describing what I got, I'm going to do a little bit of roleplaying. I'm a department head at a fairly prestigious college in the USA, and I get a template. Upon this template there are simple instructions, amounting to "make changes on this document and return it to us". Well that's fairly easy, I'll just print out this word document and scrawl on it in sharpie.

Oh wait, how do I return this to them? I should probably scan this into my computer. Great, now I have a PDF with the information on it! Unfortunately, though, the template only had room for me to fill in the titles of the sessions, not the actual content. That's ok, I have this nifty tool that lets me add sticky notes to the PDF. Surely those will be easy to decipher.

Ok, this is great! I have my sharpie'd up pdf with notes all over it. Now I'll just throw this in a folder, zip it up, and send it off!

I responded to him letting him know this was not acceptable, and he would need to follow our format and give us a doc that was something resembling workable and please hurry, because you're a week overdue. I just sat down to an angry email to me, my boss, and the director of the company about how he is being mistreated and we are not respecting him or his position, and why don't we fix this issue. This is going to be so fun.

I'm wondering why he didn't print out the PDF, then fax it to you. He's not following the full idiots chain of logic.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a bunch of emails came in.

Apparently eight of our clients got hit with Cryptolocker this morning. Most of them have proper backups but it is looking like one or two do not. Some of the other techs have been emailing back and fourth about how to decrypt the files without paying the ransom. My reply of "Unless you can crack RSA-2048 encryption, you aren't" got me in trouble for being 'non-helpful"

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

blackswordca posted:

Apparently eight of our clients got hit with Cryptolocker this morning. Most of them have proper backups but it is looking like one or two do not. Some of the other techs have been emailing back and fourth about how to decrypt the files without paying the ransom. My reply of "Unless you can crack RSA-2048 encryption, you aren't" got me in trouble for being 'non-helpful"

"hey guys, it should just be a matter of breaking the encryption on it, they foolishly provided you with the public key in the registry at [path] so it shouldn't be too hard :)"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The amount of people that equate being told facts that aren't what they wanted to hear with not being helpful is insanely high.

"We need to achieve x, we have a budget of y"
"Sorry but you can't do it for that, you would need to be able to budget approximately 3*y. Once you have that secured then we can talk. You can do this small subset of x for y funds, is that something that you want me to look at more?"
"You're being very unhelpful, we're on the same team here"

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'm wondering why he didn't print out the PDF, then fax it to you. He's not following the full idiots chain of logic.

Print > Sharpie > Attach actual sticky notes to backsides of pages > Scan the wrong way so they're landscape > Screenshot > Paste pictures into word doc at half size to fit the page > Print > Fax

Get it right!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

GreenNight posted:

So far the only person that complained about laptop weight was someone who really does travel alot, and it was sort of a fun challenge to find her something that would meet her needs without getting too small. But I also work somewhere where there's no one that says "STOP! DON'T BUY THINGS!" so that helps.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The problem is that 80% of the users here HAS TO OMG have a laptop because they might travel twice a year. On top of that, they think they need a new one every year and we only budget for 10 new laptops a year for 60 laptop users.

Part of it is that we have 50 people in our outside sales force and they get brand new laptops every 2-3 years regardless because they actually do travel 40 weeks out of the year.

The person complaining has an HP NC6400, so I understand their frustration but so does another 20 people.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I wish I had my old Dell C810. About 15 pounds of 1600x1200 awesome-sauce. I ran through an airport several times with that thing in a giant leather targus bag that could probably hold 2 of them.

Are all laptop manufacturers on a race to the bottom for resolution? When we switched to lenovo we got 1200x800 ones, then things got slightly less lovely with 1440x900 ones, just got our new model t430s with the 1366xfuck-you-768 screen.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 28, 2013

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Lower res = cheaper LCDs = less expensive laptops.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

GreenNight posted:

The problem is that 80% of the users here HAS TO OMG have a laptop because they might travel twice a year. On top of that, they think they need a new one every year and we only budget for 10 new laptops a year for 60 laptop users.

Part of it is that we have 50 people in our outside sales force and they get brand new laptops every 2-3 years regardless because they actually do travel 40 weeks out of the year.

The person complaining has an HP NC6400, so I understand their frustration but so does another 20 people.

You could be like us, that orders laptops for EVERYONE, but locks the laptops to the desks for 95% of employees unless a mgr and director sign off on it.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Vin BioEthanol posted:

I wish I had my old Dell C810. About 15 pounds of 1600x1200 awesome-sauce. I ran through an airport several times with that thing in a giant leather targus bag that could probably hold 2 of them.

Are all laptop manufacturers on a race to the bottom for resolution? When we switched to lenovo we got 1200x800 ones, then things got slightly less lovely with 1440x900 ones, just got our new model t430s with the 1366xfuck-you-768 screen.

I just had to Google the T430 as I'm not familiar with Lenovo's line of systems. Could be worse. We have Latitude E6520's with 1366x768 screens (If you're not familiar, these are huge 17" laptops, complete with 10key). gently caress low-res screens.

^^^
Majority of our Laptop users (That just had to have one) keep theirs in their docking station (Unlocked).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I get more irritated with 1366x768 being described as HD. Every loving laptop manufacturer does it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Same, majority of our users never take them off the dock.

Which brings me to my next gripe - docking stations. How many of these do I throw out when we upgrade models? All of them. I have around two dozen or so that I'm having picked up to be recycled. They work great, just no current models use them.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Caged posted:

I get more irritated with 1366x768 being described as HD. Every loving laptop manufacturer does it.

Well, it is... sorta. It exceeds 720 specs, which is HD. They usually refer to 1080 as Full HD.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

blackswordca posted:

gently caress whoever thought that wasn't helpful.

Please tell them that you were helping the company save money on pursuing an impossible course of action.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

gently caress whoever thought that wasn't helpful.

Please tell them that you were helping the company save money on pursuing an impossible course of action.

Was the same manager as always, i think i just wont reply to these email threads anymore.

It is funny reading though, a few of the people I work with are fresh out of CST courses at a local collage.. I swear give them a 1 semester course in security and they think they are hackers.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 28, 2013

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
"Yes, you put in a ticket that your laptop was too heavy? We've got that taken care of - you now have permission to take your desktop system instead."

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

blackswordca posted:

Was the same manager as always, i think i just wont reply to these email threads anymore.

There's no one in this thread who wants you to YOTJ out of there more than I. Good luck.

Anyway, when it comes to Cryptolocker, you really only have two courses of action:

1) Restore backups. Shadow copies, Windows Server Backup, Symantec, Carbonite, whatever. Anything with versioning should be okay.
2) Pay them. It'll take a while, but it actually works.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That laptop I busted my butt to ship out on Saturday? Turns out the location I shipped to decided to move their relocation date up without telling me. DELIVERY EXCEPTION :argh:

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

There's no one in this thread who wants you to YOTJ out of there more than I. Good luck.

Anyway, when it comes to Cryptolocker, you really only have two courses of action:

1) Restore backups. Shadow copies, Windows Server Backup, Symantec, Carbonite, whatever. Anything with versioning should be okay.

Apparently we setup an email box for clients to forward suspicious attachments to. We are also setting up a machine, off the network, to test the attachments to see if they are viral or not.

Im thinking about taking bets on how long it is until we have an internal infection

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

blackswordca posted:

Apparently we setup an email box for clients to forward suspicious attachments to. We are also setting up a machine, off the network, to test the attachments to see if they are viral or not.

Im thinking about taking bets on how long it is until we have an internal infection

Its funny that there is the expectation of trust of employees to forward email to this inbox but not the trust to expect people to not to simply delete suspicious email.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

blackswordca posted:

Just forward all email from all mailboxes to that machine, and if it's clean someone can just save those emails to a folder on the right user's workstation for them to check later!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A ticket came in (font size 24 points, bold, red Arial, and fortunately not to me)...

quote:

NO SERVICE, EXCEPT SOS - TURNED ON AND OFF ATLEAST FIVE TIMES --- TOOK BATTERY OUT THREE TIMES - CANNOT FIND NETWORK - THIS IS ROME, NOT ALBANIA OR NORTH KOREA! NOW WHAT? IS THIS A SPRINT ISSUE? A BLACKBERRY ISSUE? OR WHAT?

I give him points for at least popping the battery and describing the situation, but I'm opening the floor to bets/guesses on what this guy's title is.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I'll go whole hog with CTO.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

MJP posted:

A ticket came in (font size 24 points, bold, red Arial, and fortunately not to me)...

I give him points for at least popping the battery and describing the situation, but I'm opening the floor to bets/guesses on what this guy's title is.

CIO. Gotta be.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

CEO, clearly.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert
C_O for sure.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Entry level clerk with a BYOD phone attached to their account.

(The most demanding user in my entire organization is a administrative entry-level clerk who will barge into a meeting with half a dozen of the firm's partners while I'm giving a presentation to say that she can't send an email that isn't even related to work)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

ConfusedUs posted:

Frankly I'm surprised they're only asking for $300, and that businesses are resistant to just paying it to get back their ESSENTIAL THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION UNBACKED-UP files.

(I understand them being skeptical and not wanting to deal with criminals, but I somehow doubt the latter is actually a consideration.)

• Locked thread