Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
How are you guys skilling up your *** cards like Classic Magneto and Grey Suit Widow? I got them using Heroic Tokens and now they're basically taking up all my cover space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Basically, I'm not. I have X-Force Wolverine, Magneto Classic and Magneto Gray sitting around doing very little.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

The difference between my team with level 38, maxed critical strike ability Daken and my team without Daken is incredible.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bullseye is diabolical. Hey, his power activates when you match purple tiles. It creates a purple protect tile. I'll just match it to get rid of... OH FUUUUUCK.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Bullseye is diabolical. Hey, his power activates when you match purple tiles. It creates a purple protect tile. I'll just match it to get rid of... OH FUUUUUCK.

But it does have max of 3 tiles. Maybe that goes up with levels though....

Also I have been enjoy wolverine over daken a lot lately. I got my green cost down to 4 ap. normally I charged up both Thor's red and wolverine's green and bam 70 damage from wolverine, then 600 damage+ any yellow tiles. Then I do it again... Bam 100 damage from wolverine and 650 damage from Thor+ and yellow. Then I finish it off with a 1200 damage Thor yellow. If anyone is alive I normally have enough ap for another wolverine.

Best part is wolverine just sit in his corner healing himself. I haven't healed him once, but he never attack but almost always heals 60 hp a turn.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 27, 2013

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Does Bullseye synergise well with Iron Man's Armored Assault?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Helical Nightmares posted:

Does Bullseye synergise well with Iron Man's Armored Assault?

Yeah they do well together. Match 3x3 purple and 3x3 yellow and you likely looking and -50 to -70 damage on everything.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

I found the best way to kill Bullseye is with mass nukes, like Iron Man's blue skill. There's really no way to damage him through regular matching once he has a couple purple Protects on the board.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Eddain posted:

I found the best way to kill Bullseye is with mass nukes, like Iron Man's blue skill. There's really no way to damage him through regular matching once he has a couple purple Protects on the board.

It's easy with Daken. I'm getting like 60 bonus damage per green match now.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The trick is to remember that Bullseye's bones only protect him when he's not stunned, so you line up a bunch of matches, cold-clock him, and then go to town on the protect tiles.

Shwqa posted:

But it does have max of 3 tiles. Maybe that goes up with levels though....
It goes up by 1 each level until level 5 makes it completely unlimited.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Today I discovered that if someone has low enough max HP, activating Thorned Rose will set off Storm's Elemental Barrier.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahahah that's hilarious.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I've been trying to get into this and i'm starting to think i should just start over.

I've got a modern storm a grey xforce wolverine (which i thought was cool until i realised i couldn't actually level him up) and modern Ironman.

The thing is i just can't seem to find a way to level them up. I'm not coming across enough cards to increase their powers and based on how many hawkeye/black widow cards that are thrown at you in the tutorial I get the feeling i was supposed to just use them instead of selling them.

Modern storm seems like she could end up being a monster, but only if i can get the covers for her.

I did start right before the gameplay update/change so i don't know if that might be why i feel like i'm having a hard time of it.

What's a good starting set of heroes to focus on to progress?

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

I wish to congratulate D3 for the huge success of Marvel Puzzle Quest among the members of the Saudi royal family.

They probably hacked the ISO and coins amounts to buff the character stats. I figured how to do it last night but figured it wasnt worth ruining the game for

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I'm getting so much mileage out of lvl 36 Storm Classic and lvl 34 Thor together right now. Their skills are only both 3-3-2 right now, but Storm softens everyone up and wipes the weakies out with her blue stun or Elemental Barrier, usually leaving Thor to combo the last man standing to death. God, if I can max out Storm's Blue and Yellow and Thor's Red and Yellow, I wouldn't have to sweat drat near anything. It's even funnier when they force me to use my skill-maxed lvl 36 Black Widow. I am totally a stun junkie.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Arena is turning into a total war of attrition, because now everyone is a stun junkie. L5 Widow's Sting is just cruel.

Moonstone looks interesting, and if there is a Dark Avengers event coming next (which they hinted) she'll probably be buffed for that. Of course, the challenge will be to skill her up.

Cowboybot
Sep 27, 2007
On a steel horse I ride
For those of you who are using real accounts, set up a list so that none of your information is available if you are concerned about it.

Cowboybot fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 29, 2013

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008
Added myself to the google thing, real account, private list, etc etc.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
One of the tricks to PvP in this game is to not get too caught up in the ebb and flow of scoring unless you're specifically going for a Progression milestone. Right now, I'm playing I-hit-you, you-hit-me with a handful of guys and trying hard not to burn too many resources. I got my 800 point milestone and won't make it to 1000, so being #2 at 2 PM is meaningless if I can't climb back up there at 11:55.

Big pile of red dots on my board right now, so I'll hit them back at intervals and keep my guys healing as naturally as possible.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I went up to 800 to get 3rd in my pool (I wanted the blue cap progression, he was the only one I didn't have yet (now I have 1 yellow, 5 red, and 1 blue), and I was there for about a half hour. Then I quickly fell to like low 30s. Now I don't have the surplus of ISO I did have for the free heals (ugh), so I am dumb. I totally should have waited until like 11 pm to do it.

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

Have been levelling Classic Storm of late, mid-20s and she's starting to come into her own. Currently at 3/2/3, would like more blue and yellow - so of course I pull another green from a recruit pack...
To use it for pure level cap increase, or hold out for the others? She does seem to drop fairly frequently from the packs...

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji

Kin posted:

I've been trying to get into this and i'm starting to think i should just start over.

What's a good starting set of heroes to focus on to progress?

You mentioned starting before the patch, the judgement call you'll have to make is how many rewards from the prologue chapters are already cleared (for example, I'm missing wolverine's yellow skill from the final chapter because it was probably some hero points or something I got pre-patch).

If there's still a decent chunk of single player missions ahead of you, then keep an eye out for Classic Storm (her yellow passive and blue aoe stun are super helpful right out the gate), Thor, and Wolverine. Two star heroes get a higher level cap per cover you spend on them and a majority of your power is going to come from big ol beefy levels for most of the heroes, especially when covers are in short supply.

If you're having trouble picking up ISO-8, someone mentioned earlier in the thread to fight dudes in the indefinite pvp arena. The nice thing there is the 70/140 ISO-8 rewards come at you even if you fight chumps worth no points that have a really weak team. The point milestone rewards in there come at a rapid pace too which add up quick. Once you have a tough enough team to farm the 500 and 250 ISO-8 rewards from missions, do that too. If you're doing missions where enemies only attack from timer tiles and you have a really lovely board (timer tiles in hard to reach places, not getting the right colors), you can always hit the pause button at the top to retreat and start the mission again hopefully with a better beginning board. Don't sell yourself short and take damage when you don't have to!

Don't forget the Venom missions with the guest Spider-Man can heal your banged up heroes if you have a good handle on Venom.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Keep levelling Iron Man. He will be your main heavy hitter for a long time. Once you get Thor, he'll also work his way into rotation once you level him up.

Also Arena fight tips: Classic Storm and a low level Cap or Black Widow are pretty fun. Their hp max are so low that it's almost guaranteed a good combo will cause Storm's elemental barrier to trigger.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
So, uh... hello there, level 115 Ragnarok :psyduck:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Take a look at his powers' AP cost. :stonklol:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh gently caress he's bullshit. Managed to just barely beat him last night with a whole bunch of boosts. Yellow/Red power up, everything power up, and anti-Dark Avengers. He still managed to down Thor (at level 50 or so) and almost Iron Man too. Cap would not have been able to finish him off but his Blue stun attack was essential. For keeping him away from reds mainly but also because Iron Man was getting a beating.

Can't imagine getting the 20 Iso off that quest. I'd be spitting feathers.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Should I even bother keeping stuff like Grey Magneto with red power or Hawkeye modern?

I only have one empty slot, and only 25 gold coins/ hero points / nerd gelt

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Almost all cards have their uses and are pretty good when levelled. My Hawkeye Modern is a murder machine and Grey Magneto is awesome at smashing huge portions of the board to bits and generating tons of blues.

Check out this link to see what levelled up characters can do:
http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=129

Eddain
May 6, 2007
You should pretty much be skipping constantly for PVP. If you even have to think about how you'd go about beating a certain team just skip it. There's always easier prey around the corner, like this guy who had a lvl 6 Black Widow, lvl 1 Wolverine, and lvl 6 Modern Storm. Easiest 30 Arena points ever.

I always skip Classic Storm and high level Thors/Ragnarok. Classic Storm can be a huge pain with her constant nukes and passive damage.

Also, does it seem like White Magneto (**) is better than Classic Magneto (***)? White Magneto can destroy the entire drat board or set up 5-matches with his skills!

Eddain fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 28, 2013

Starrett
Mar 22, 2006

Forum Oddity
Classic magneto is amazing for the pve levels

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
If they had a one time IAP to unlock unlimited storage space I would probably do it.

Right now I am using Black Widow with 4 purple, 5 blue (level 24 currently) to stun while I collect points for Iron Man (lvl 28), Thor (lvl 27), sometimes others depending on who I am up against.
My Black Widow right now stuns for 5 turns on the target and 1 turn on the rest of the team and it only costs 9 blue to do it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Always level Iron Man, always spend coins on storage space. :v:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Always level Iron Man, always spend coins on storage space. :v:

Yeah I'm super excited for the red ISO event to end. That 500 gold will get me at least 3 cover slots.

But I gave up leveling iron man. Thor (and wolverine) all the way.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 28, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nothing wrong with having more meatshields though. When my main team is exhausted, I can run team B-listers through the meatgrinder of shield training for extra iso.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Juggernaut's green power destroys a bunch of random tiles which I kinda like cause it has the chance of eliminating timer blocks and also triggering some pretty sweet matching chains that don't count as your turn. At level 10 he has 1120 HP. I have the red power but basically never use it unless its near the end of the match or he has tons of extra HP to spare.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

JHVH-1 posted:

Juggernaut's green power destroys a bunch of random tiles which I kinda like cause it has the chance of eliminating timer blocks and also triggering some pretty sweet matching chains that don't count as your turn. At level 10 he has 1120 HP. I have the red power but basically never use it unless its near the end of the match or he has tons of extra HP to spare.

That's how I play Modern Storm. She can either destroy random tiles or destroy those environmental tiles only. It's free damage, free power, and it gives you a chance to start chain reactions to sweep the enemy team.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Nice, got up to 4th place and >800 points in the arena. 2 hours left, lets see how far I fall.

Starrett
Mar 22, 2006

Forum Oddity

MeramJert posted:

Nice, got up to 4th place and >800 points in the arena. 2 hours left, lets see how far I fall.

i was at 3rd. 30 mins later i was 59th... i'm fighting to stay in the top ten now.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

MeramJert posted:

Got up to 2nd in my bracket with four hours remaining and got a severe case of "meh, whatever". I'll probably miss out on whatever the good reward card is. At least I got the Cap cover at 800 points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starrett
Mar 22, 2006

Forum Oddity
the PVP in this game is so stressful :(