Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

SpRahl posted:

Dublin starts with Norwegian culture (Norse culture in the Old Gods start date). High stewardship helps spread culture but either way it is a very slow process. I wouldnt worry to much Counties with a different religion are worse than those with a different culture. And having foriegners on your council will not affect culture in your Counties.

In this case it'd have to be my king with a high Stewardship, right? Even if I could, I don't think I want to give away my capital to someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Arbitrary Coin posted:

In this case it'd have to be my king with a high Stewardship, right? Even if I could, I don't think I want to give away my capital to someone else.

Yes. Whoever holds the capital can get an event to culture-flip the county, and that event is based on the holder's stewardship.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

How often do the expansions tend to go on sale? I stopped playing right before The Old Gods came out so it's the only expansion I didn't buy right away.

\/ Thanks!

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 26, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SurgicalOntologist posted:

How often do the expansions tend to go on sale? I stopped playing right before The Old Gods came out so it's the only expansion I didn't buy right away.

Fairly often, using this chart it goes on sale during most of the big sale periods, and the last one was three months ago:

http://www.steamprices.com/us/app/203770/crusader-kings-ii

(this is the base game but usually all of the DLC goes on sale with it)

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Right, another quick question. I accidentally started building a University somewhere I didnt mean to. Is there anyway to cancel that and get my gold back?

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Culture change has a little bit of nuance to it. Say you take four or five provinces and you wish to flip them. It's actually better to give each county to a middling steward than it is for a genius steward to hold them all. The event fires for the character so five characters means it's much more likely to fire. Of course this is totally useless in your case but I thought I'd chime in.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Right, another quick question. I accidentally started building a University somewhere I didnt mean to. Is there anyway to cancel that and get my gold back?

Nope!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

computer parts posted:

I haven't read much on imperial China but playing ~1600s China would be equivalent to the Game of Thrones mod where you can own essentially all of the map.

This is a problem in CK2 already - it really needs to be harder to keep a huge empire together, at least for a human. I mean, Ming taking over Eurasia would be bad but that's pretty much what happens with any human-controlled kingdom too, provided you're not roleplaying too hard.

edit: To be fair, I haven't actually fired up CK2 in a few months; maybe giant empires are harder to hold in vanilla than in older versions? It felt to me like once you'd gotten an imperial title and put succession in order you could pretty easily maintain hegemony.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 26, 2013

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Factions and a quick series of unfortunate successions can really gently caress up your poo poo.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Torrannor posted:

Factions and a quick series of unfortunate successions can really gently caress up your poo poo.

Not least the broken adventuring mechanic. Like your Chancellor magicking up a doom stack to take over your kingdom. Then you defeat them, and then he anounces he's going to do it again. Yet imprisoning him would be seen as tyrannical. :psyduck:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

LordPants posted:

Not least the broken adventuring mechanic. Like your Chancellor magicking up a doom stack to take over your kingdom. Then you defeat them, and then he anounces he's going to do it again. Yet imprisoning him would be seen as tyrannical. :psyduck:

Really? Winning wars against adventurers always imprisons them upon victory, as far as I know.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

fool_of_sound posted:

Really? Winning wars against adventurers always imprisons them upon victory, as far as I know.

Unlike rebellions, adventurers don't get imprisoned upon white peace, which is annoying because you break their back with a decisive win then you have to go around mopping them up which normally wouldn't be a problem, but if you're under attack from the Byzantine Empire and you just want them to go away it's annoying to have your chancellor go "welp! I lost that time but I'm going to try AGAIN!" and as I said, you can't do anything about it, it should at least count as dishonorable behavior!!

(To be fair, once I realized this I just save-scummed and assassinated him)

Just played it again and they do like you said! I thought that wasn't right. My game must have glitched out. All good, the aforementioned savescum-assassinate trick fixed that 'glitch' :radcat:

edit: The real tough one is wealthy uncles from foreign lands. Do you banish them and collect 1000 gold and fight them again or excommunicate and choppity-chop

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 27, 2013

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Strudel Man posted:

Deliberate antagonism is exactly the opposite of what gets people to change their minds. I understand that you may feel like you get a thrill out of annoying those who your social sphere identifies as Bad People, but it does nothing to help anyone.

Pro-tip: They will never change their minds, so why bother?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

LordPants posted:

edit: The real tough one is wealthy uncles from foreign lands. Do you banish them and collect 1000 gold and fight them again or excommunicate and choppity-chop

When they lose the war, they lose the title claim. So always banish. For extra points, banishment doesn't cause an opinion malus, and since they're no longer a title claimant (or at least a claimant to one less title) they may like you enough to accept an invite to your court immediately after :v:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
So hey, does anybody know if it's possible to mod the UI such that the character sheet can show anybody with the "Friends" tag, or anybody with high opinions? That was one of my favourite features of CK1, because it made it so much easier to see at a glance whose back I should be scratching, and who I could rely on as a future vassal.
I know there are already ways of finding people with high relations in-game, but they're all rather roundabout, particularly if I want to find friends of friends. I'd love to be able to see those right on any character's sheet.
There's already a "Lovers" section on the sheet, so presumably the UI can account of such things?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Oberleutnant posted:

So hey, does anybody know if it's possible to mod the UI such that the character sheet can show anybody with the "Friends" tag, or anybody with high opinions? That was one of my favourite features of CK1, because it made it so much easier to see at a glance whose back I should be scratching, and who I could rely on as a future vassal.
I know there are already ways of finding people with high relations in-game, but they're all rather roundabout, particularly if I want to find friends of friends. I'd love to be able to see those right on any character's sheet.
There's already a "Lovers" section on the sheet, so presumably the UI can account of such things?

This is already in the game, but stupidly hidden away. Right click on a character's portrait, then right click on the little head icon, then click on character relations. It will bring up the character finder showing the opinions of everyone towards them.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
So in my Erik the Heathen game the HRE is probably going to be battering down my door pretty soon. Is there anything I can do besides :ese: (everyone loves the Emperor and Im a dirty Pagan) that I can do to destabilize them or stop them? I had a small Catholic buffer State between us unfortunately the Duke of Saxony somehow managed to finagle a claim on the county which bordered me.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Make them like you, with bribes and your chancellor. If a zealous emperor pops up, stab his poo poo.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Quick question, how do you make maps like this for the internet? I wanted to show off some of the ugly borders in my game and I wasn't sure if there was some kind of export tool or something.

Happy Fun Bollocks
Aug 4, 2007

by Ion Helmet
Press F10.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

And I think F11 and F12 give you just your borders and the religion map. At least they did in Eu3.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Flython posted:

And I think F11 and F12 give you just your borders and the religion map. At least they did in Eu3.

F10 is a dump of the map, in the current map mode. F11 is a screenshot.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

Nice to know. It'll come in handy when I show you all my Pyromantic Serindia empire in Lux Invicta.

I'd really recommend giving Lux Invicta a look if you like some nice alternate history and can handle the occasional bug. In a few weeks they're going to add an East African survival of Ra worshipers.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
So. Let's see what my vassals are up to lately.

Defeating the Pope in a prepared invasion for Italy... ...ok. That's pretty cool. Wait, what's with the mask?

Oh, that's right. He's the Mande Jarl of Lancaster. How could I forget?

EDIT

Have they ever made it so the Pope's culture is based off of where the Pope is actually elected? Or do they just keep him as Italian forever, even if he gets deposed to somewhere in Germany?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

After many, many hours of play I think I would pay at least a dollar for a DLC that did nothing more than wipe out the Karlings from the Old God start date. This may be my first mod.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Veryslightlymad posted:

Have they ever made it so the Pope's culture is based off of where the Pope is actually elected? Or do they just keep him as Italian forever, even if he gets deposed to somewhere in Germany?
Italian forever.

Fuligin posted:

After many, many hours of play I think I would pay at least a dollar for a DLC that did nothing more than wipe out the Karlings from the Old God start date. This may be my first mod.
They are rather pernicious.

Alternately, give them all a custom-defined -30% fertility trait that's passed on agnatically.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
EDIT ^^
drat it. Well, maybe the college of Cardinals will fix this dumbassery.

In the game I just posted a couple of screenshots to above, the Karlings wiped themselves out of relevance, by forming the Holy Roman Empire, establishing Elective Succession, and somehow electing a Wilhelmiden who switched to Primogeniture. Good job, Karlings.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Veryslightlymad posted:

EDIT ^^

In the game I just posted a couple of screenshots to above, the Karlings wiped themselves out of relevance, by forming the Holy Roman Empire, establishing Elective Succession, and somehow electing a Wilhelmiden who switched to Primogeniture. Good job, Karlings.

That's interesting. I've never seen them actually form the HRE, even when it was well within their means. it's a shame, the OGs start in general just really highlights the weaknesses in CK2's diplomacy/alliance mechanics. All of Christendom should not be joining for a transcontinental defense of Mercia in the 880s.

e: my favorite game was the one where the Norse somehow reformed of their own accord and converted Europe; the Karlings still somehow managed to worm their way onto the thrones of Norway, Sweden, and England.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Is there a way to automatically skip the "Person joined/left a faction" windows?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

computer parts posted:

Is there a way to automatically skip the "Person joined/left a faction" windows?

Message Settings, reached with escape.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Fuligin posted:

Man gently caress that, the Karlings sure make Europe pretty interesting. Every Old Gods game ends up totally different. Although if your complaint is that they are all allied with each other, they could do what they did with the Sons of Lodbrok. They all start allied with each other but each have their own unique house so once the initial brothers die off unless there are new marriages the alliances die with them.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I personally don't have a big problem with the Karlings, but I can easily see how it can gently caress up someone's game rather quickly. I don't know how many times I've had to stop whatever I was doing and divert all of my attention to stabbing the one of the Karlings so they don't form a giant Francia/HRE/Byzantine-super empire.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Veryslightlymad posted:

EDIT ^^

The best way to get rid of the Karlings is to swear fealty to East or West Francia, and then start a successful faction for elective succession, that at least prevents them from having a stranglehold over all of Central Europe.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Cease to Hope posted:

Awesome thank you!

BEHOLD, LOOK AT THE BORDERS! LOOK AND DESPAIR!!!

The sad thing is, apart from the north of West Francia (controlled by East Francia), all those ugly rear end borders are the current peacetime borders.

Highlight so far:

-Wessex slowly dominating the south of England, with Jorvick slowly consolidating its hold on the land between Scotland and Wessex.

-Munster grabbing 6 counties, only for Scotland to nab the northern 7.

-West Francia being apart of East Francia for almost sixty years now (a damned Karling toddler inherited both kingdoms and sat on the throne for those sixty years and became an incredible king).

-Iberia enlarging an shrinking at a pace of once every five decades

-Navarra inheriting all of the Kingdom of Brittany, then proceeding to lose all it's Iberian holdings, then losing Brittany since they don't let girls inherent (now Wessex owns Brittany).

-The Romanov Kingdom of Lithuanian is doing well. Its a major player in the Baltic

-Greater Moravia fracturing on day 3, staying split for drat near 70 years, then uniting under a super Bohemia king who then proceeded to take most of Silesia and then all of Nytria.

-The Mygar invasion failed, so Bulgaria is on top form.

-The Khazar's took what was left of the Mygars land beyond Bulgaria and have slowly established a nice Jewish kingdom, saldy lost a province to Georgia (also will likely die when the Mongols come :smith:).

-Georgia is a powerhouse right now.

-Shi'ia comes and goes every eight or nine years.

-A Norse adventurer conquered land in Egypt and made the Christian Kingdom of Jerusalem :psyduck:

And now it's just hit year 1000, so I have another four hundred years to go :dance:

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 28, 2013

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
That's... wow. Bravo, sir. Are most of Finland and part of Africa actually black because the game ran out of colors?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Mailer posted:

That's... wow. Bravo, sir. Are most of Finland and part of Africa actually black because the game ran out of colors?

The black bits are impassible areas of the map ruled by no one. There's not normally wasteland in Finland, but the mod he's using must add it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Mailer posted:

It looks like he's using CK2. It's been a while since I've touched it myself, but in the vanila game all of Finland has provinces and the black areas in Africa and Russia represent wasteland.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
So, CK2+ has both Gaelic paganism and Brythonic. For some reason they are counted as the same when making new vassals, but still cause religious differences. What the hell is going on there?

(I suppose I should ask this on the Paradox forums but you know how that place is...)

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I want more Sons of Abraham news. Paradox :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

So, CK2+ has both Gaelic paganism and Brythonic. For some reason they are counted as the same when making new vassals, but still cause religious differences. What the hell is going on there?

(I suppose I should ask this on the Paradox forums but you know how that place is...)

Its a bug where Brythonic adherents can convert to Gaelic if moral authority is low, a decision which should only exist for Irish and Scottish catholics.

• Locked thread