Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

deadly_pudding posted:

Would... this actually happen? I'm going to admit that I was really mediocre in physics before I continue this line of questioning, so feel free to school me :shobon:

Wouldn't whatever thermovoltaic device that mug uses to power its display just be using the energy that the beverage naturally dissipates anyway, on account of being a hot thing in a less hot space? I don't think it's actually endothermic.

It would, but with the setup they have I'm imagining the effect is mostly negligible. It would pull some energy out of the system, thus allowing more energy to transfer at a higher rate, but the amount of power an LED is going to be drawing is tiny.

It'd be better if the mug had like a magnet that automatically rotated a stirring rod using a low rpm motor... :science: Or if you could use some pressure expansion to REALLY cool that fucker down :cool: but that'd be vastly more complicated. (And would have to be refilled)

LED light for temperature that doesn't use batteries is okay, but a device that really actively cooled your drink without batteries would be pretty dang nifty.

In the end they've just made a far less effective, high-tech alternative to frozen mugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I have been educated :)

Also, couldn't they have just like glued a mood-ring to the side?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

It would, but with the setup they have I'm imagining the effect is mostly negligible. It would pull some energy out of the system, thus allowing more energy to transfer at a higher rate, but the amount of power an LED is going to be drawing is tiny.

It'd be better if the mug had like a magnet that automatically rotated a stirring rod using a low rpm motor... :science: Or if you could use some pressure expansion to REALLY cool that fucker down :cool: but that'd be vastly more complicated. (And would have to be refilled)

LED light for temperature that doesn't use batteries is okay, but a device that really actively cooled your drink without batteries would be pretty dang nifty.

In the end they've just made a far less effective, high-tech alternative to frozen mugs.

But I thought the point was to have a hot drink with the LEDs to indicate when it is cool enough (but still hot) to drink? They probably expect you to finish the drink before the slightly accelerated cooling caused by the generator has any real effect.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ThaShaneTrain posted:

Our old friends from New Ork City are at it again:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1822630877/exotitans?ref=category

My favorite part is an example table of in-game effects when rolling 2d6, they have a result for rolling 1.

Possible, if there are modifiers. Rolemaster's critical hit tables are the most famous (and amusing) example.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

Zaphod42 posted:

I thought you were going down the road of suggesting that mounting the cup on a turntable would have some kind of effect (like helicopter being able/not able to take off) that could ignite a controversy so Marilyn VosSavant could weigh in and the Mythbusters could test it.

In those guys dreams...

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

deadly_pudding posted:

I have been educated :)

Also, couldn't they have just like glued a mood-ring to the side?

Hell you can get sticker thermometers from a pet store for like $5.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Cyril Sneer posted:

Hell you can get sticker thermometers from a pet store for like $5.

While those wouldn't really be suitable for this range of temperatures, you could pretty easily make a similar thing that would be, and it would work about how you would expect and give you close-enough readings, but then your cup wouldn't have a microcontroller and LEDs to tell you the scientifically determined Perfect Coffee Temperature. What you're paying for here is something you can point at while telling your friends how awesome it is, while they drink from their $2 Ikea mugs and still manage not to damage their mouths, via use of the sophisticated temperature measurement device known as "their lips".

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Someone please make gloves with thermal sensors that light up LEDs on the fingers to tell you if what you're touching is cold, hot or just right.

Also make them touch-screen compatible, for that added iPhone accessory kickstarter magic.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

FrozenVent posted:

Someone please make gloves with thermal sensors that light up LEDs on the fingers to tell you if what you're touching is cold, hot or just right.

Those might actually be useful for people with congenital insensitivity to pain. They don't feel the heat, but their skin can still burn.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Nyarai posted:

Those might actually be useful for people with congenital insensitivity to pain. They don't feel the heat, but their skin can still burn.

I'm sure medical science has a better solution than crowdsourced iPhone accessory gloves.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Who remembers the StunGun iPhone case that would deliver an underpowered current to an attacker mostly just annoying them like a slightly amped up joy buzzer?

Well, would it surprise you to know that they're not very smart?

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20131028/LIFESTYLE/310280011/Company-promotes-stun-gun-phone-case-here-though-s-illegal-own?odyssey=tab

The Detroit News posted:

Company promotes stun gun phone case [in Detroit] - though it's illegal to own it

In [Detroit, Flint, and Oakland], “We noticed there was a rise in crime,” says John Yoon, the Baton Rouge company’s friendly and helpful publicist. “We wanted to let them know there was a solution to provide locals with personal protection.”

That also assumes you could buy a Yellow Jacket. In Michigan, only people with concealed pistol licenses and special training may own electro-muscular disruption devices.

Furthermore, they must be purchased from an in-state dealer rather than a website like yellowjacketcase.com.

Further furthermore, while Tasers are legal here, stun guns aren’t, because they don’t dispense bar-coded confetti that identifies the user the way Tasers do.

Still, we’ve been selected as a hot spot for the Yellow Jacket rollout.

“I’ve heard, you know ... (Detroit) can be dangerous,” Yoon explains. “A lot of vacated homes.”

At least the guy from Louisiana is honest. I heard there are black people in Oakland and Detroit, better sell my stun guns there!

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

SpoopyMonkey posted:

While those wouldn't really be suitable for this range of temperatures

Okay not those ones you find in aquarium stores, but they do make ones with extended ranges. I've used them in product testing before:

http://www.omega.ca/shop/pptsc.asp?ref=RLC-80

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Who remembers the StunGun iPhone case that would deliver an underpowered current to an attacker mostly just annoying them like a slightly amped up joy buzzer?

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20131028/LIFESTYLE/310280011/Company-promotes-stun-gun-phone-case-here-though-s-illegal-own?odyssey=tab

At least the guy from Louisiana is honest. I heard there are black people in Oakland and Detroit, better sell my stun guns there!

Detroit News posted:

Further furthermore, while Tasers are legal here, stun guns aren’t, because they don’t dispense bar-coded confetti that identifies the user the way Tasers do.

So clearly only registered people can have Tasers, that are fitted with the confetti attachment, etc. Seems perfectly logical and sensible - I mean we wouldn't want irresponsible kids "tazing" people on the bus or something for kicks...

Clearly we need to take that a step further and put some kind of difficult to remove identifiers on bullets and register them the same way (tiny tungsten or whatever chip with numbers embedded in the bullet). Hunters, police, valiant home defenders, virtually ANYONE who has a reason for having a gun shouldn't mind this kind of identifying information - right?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

JDM3 posted:

Clearly we need to take that a step further and put some kind of difficult to remove identifiers on bullets and register them the same way (tiny tungsten or whatever chip with numbers embedded in the bullet). Hunters, police, valiant home defenders, virtually ANYONE who has a reason for having a gun shouldn't mind this kind of identifying information - right?

They can already pretty much do that with forensic ballistics, to an extend. I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

JDM3 posted:

Haven't you ever watched a CSI, L&O, NCIS etc? You can identify what gun fired a bullet from the markings left by the gun's barrel (assuming the bullet is recoverable). If you are able to recover the bullet, you will inevitably and in the next hour find the gun to match. Also, bad guys file the numbers off of everything, no matter how difficult.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

They can already pretty much do that with forensic ballistics, to an extend. I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make.

This. You could get around it by changing the barrel, which is easier for certain guns; but altering evidence to avoid incrimination is in of itself a crime, so depending on the offense you could just be making things much worse.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
"Knock knock".
"Who's there?"
"Mango chutney"
"Mango chutney who?"
"I have no funny answer. Buy my book. Don't make me get a real job"

Otcho
May 4, 2012

Zybourne Clock posted:

"Knock knock".
"Who's there?"
"Mango chutney"
"Mango chutney who?"

I tried reading that page, but my mind kept processing it as MANGO CHUTNEY MANGO CHUTNEY MANGO CHUTNEY

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Wow I too love Mango Chutney almost as much as I love bolding words, so this Mango Chutney joke book seems right up my alley. I base everything in my life around my love for Mango Chutney to hide the fact that I have no personality.

#Mango Chutney

e: Dear god that pitch video is painful to watch. The stench of "trying way too hard" is just wafting off of this thing. The inspirational violin isn't helping matters.

dijon du jour has a new favorite as of 20:36 on Oct 28, 2013

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Out of an entire language's worth of possible word combinations, Mango Chutney may be the single least funny thing it's possible to say.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

dijon du jour posted:

The stench of "trying way too hard" is just wafting off of this thing.

No, that's just the smell of the Mango Chutney.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
That $200 reward sounds like it would be one hell of a Mango Chut-night. But for real why chutney, seriously why

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

This guy is an entire high school theater class condensed into a single being.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zybourne Clock posted:

"Knock knock".
"Who's there?"
"Mango chutney"
"Mango chutney who?"

quote:

Mango Chutney is arguably the funniest and silliest of all dipping sauces. The jokes to be had are endless! Why did the Mango Chutney cross the road? How many Mango Chutneys does it take to change a light bulb?

:stare:

This is some kind of Andy Kaufman performance-art comedy, right? I mean the jokes aren't... jokes...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If the jokes Mango Chutney lends itself to are endless, why could he only come up with 50 to put in a book?

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Bad Munki posted:

If the jokes Mango Chutney lends itself to are endless, why could he only come up with 50 to put in a book?

He didn't say they were endless good jokes. These ones are just the cream of the crop, or the chutney of the crop, if you will (it's a crop of mangos).

Tubgirl Cosplay has a new favorite as of 22:22 on Oct 28, 2013

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

You have to set a realistic scope for your Kickstarter projects, else you'll end up mango chutneying the hell out of it.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Pomp posted:

This guy is an entire high school theater class condensed into a single being.

I want to see how a dude with 400 Facebook friends somehow fails at raising a mere $1000.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Phlegmish posted:

That's not grammatically correct :qq:

I please myself, brownies? What's he doing to them? :gonk:

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

That's not grammatically correct :qq:

Yeah, cats don't just end their sentences with "meow." Has this guy ever even talked to a real cat? Christ.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

pathetic little tramp posted:

What on earth could not be smart about putting a taser to your own head when you get a phone call?

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

FrozenVent posted:

That they presumably can know who shot a taser because it leaves bar coded confetti all over the place, but to identify a bullet based on a serial number like that (could easily be done) requires CSI, ballistic experts and microscopes, etc.

The super deadly thing? No rules. Go to Walmart and get your ammo!
The thing that merely hurts someone? Major rule. Get barcoded ammo that will identify you.

That's my point, should have spelled it out better.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
On the bright side of Kickstarter, there's a nice little cartoon trying to be a full series. It's pretty cool. I really hope it makes it.

Zaphod42 posted:

:stare:

This is some kind of Andy Kaufman performance-art comedy, right? I mean the jokes aren't... jokes...

That's all I can possibly believe, but it's just like those godawful Pac-Man joke books, so there is precedent.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

WickedHate posted:

That's all I can possibly believe, but it's just like those godawful Pac-Man joke books, so there is precedent.

Did someone say Pac-Mango Chutney??? :derp:

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Oscilloscope Watch

This looks like something that would seem awesome until you try to actually use it. I haven't done that much with oscilloscopes, but I'm pretty sure there's not much you can realistically do with five buttons and a minuscule screen. Plus wearing the thing on your wrist would, for many applications, likely cause more problems than it solves.

WickedHate posted:

You mean like these Pac-Man joke books?

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-geek-humor-books-by-authors-who-understand-neither/

Hell, that Mango Chutney thing reminds me of drat near every themed family-friendly joke book I've even seen - take any old word related to the theme, desperately search for some way to make a pun out of it, and call it a joke.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

This is a fantastic read. The commentary is amazing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Yes, exactly those.

Bad Munki posted:

This is a fantastic read. The commentary is amazing.

Add Seanbaby's commentary to the Mango Chutney book and I might actually donate.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
Where do I get updates on what Doobie is doing with his dogs, now that the GBS thread is locked? There's always FYAD, but I've heard that they can be unreliable.

DragonReach Ghost
Sep 16, 2002

My Avatar is a Red Avatar

Local Resident posted:

Where do I get updates on what Doobie is doing with his dogs, now that the GBS thread is locked? There's always FYAD, but I've heard that they can be unreliable.

His Facebook page, he tends to update that sometimes. That is where FYAD was getting updates from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

quote:

Pledge $200 or more
You selected

0 backers Limited (40 left of 40)

A night on the town with Dan in which he will recite all 50 Mango Chutney jokes sporadically throughout the date. Valid only in New York City
Why would you do this? Why???