Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I'm pretty sure they explained it as Voyager has the most advanced sensors and is one of the fastest ships in the fleet so if anything could find a Maquis raider in the Badlands, Voyager would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Whalley posted:

Janeway should have been piloting a fuckin' Miranda or Nova class, something that is meant for constant returns for repairs and restocking.

Careful, because too far in the other direction means it strains credibility when the crew manages to lash the ship together when it should have just completely quit by the fourth season. And no, a starship that's amalgamated together out of major components of different species' ships is no less incredible.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm pretty sure they explained it as Voyager has the most advanced sensors and is one of the fastest ships in the fleet so if anything could find a Maquis raider in the Badlands, Voyager would.
Yeah, exactly. That's a corvette/frigate, not a long range vessel. Very fast, very small, small crew, and then they get to the Delta Quadrant and have, like, no supplies.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

jng2058 posted:

I mean, how else can you explain Sisko being the one giving all the important orders throughout the Dominion War if Captain isn't really the more important rank?

Jesus outranks Admiral.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I imagine a lot of the apparent admirality decay could be explained by Starfleet being so peaceful for decades during the lead up to TNG/DS9/VOY's era. You got people who liked being administrators, mostly, as well as perhaps people who just wanted something to do, as there wouldn't even really be the perks-and-pay reason to stay in high rank. Meanwhile, of course, captains and such obviously have an exciting, challenging lifestyle.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nessus posted:

I imagine a lot of the apparent admirality decay could be explained by Starfleet being so peaceful for decades during the lead up to TNG/DS9/VOY's era.

Haha no this got completely retconned out. TNG references a "disastrous" Tomed Incident with the Romulans, the Norkan "campaigns" remembered by the Federation as "massacres", as well as the Enterprise-C being lost with all hands fighting Romulan warbirds at Narendra; border wars with the Talarians; and the Cardassian War lasted long enough that Captain Picard was dealing with Cardassians when he was commanding Stargazer.

By the time DS9 also retconned in wars with the Tzenkethi, the 24th century was very much no longer a "peaceful" era.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

jng2058 posted:

And at the battle in "Sacrifice of Angels"? Where there are like two whole Fleets involved? Why was Sisko in charge then? I don't think the political preferences of a neutral power when DS9 isn't under Federation control should entitle Captain Sisko to command a fleet! That's literally what an admiral's job is...to lead a fleet!

Now obviously from a dramatic standpoint it was to make sure the characters and actors we're following are the ones making the critical decisions. Law of Drama and all that.

But in-universe it shows that Starfleet Admirals can't do their only real job...you need a Captain in charge. For that matter, let's go back to Picard during "Redemption Part II". Starfleet needs a taskforce to eliminate Romulan interference in the Klingon Civil War. Is there an Admiral on-site and in charge? Nope. Senior Captain, in this case Picard, is in charge. Same thing in Nemesis. Picard gets assigned to run the task force to stop the Scimitar, not an Admiral.

The only times you see an Admiral in battle are the guy who gets killed at Wolf 359, and Ross at the Battle of Cardassia at the end of the war, and he ends up deferring to Sisko every time there's a question of what to do.

As far as all the evidence shows, Starfleet Admirals are bureaucrats and paper-pushers, while Captains are the ones with the real authority to get poo poo done.

The answer is always because it's a better narrative. This is a rabbit hole you really don't want to go down, cause once you get started everything that takes place in Star Trek will fall apart. Why does the guy who specializes in pushing the 'fire torpedo' button on the bridge in charge of taking point on dangerous away missions? Why would the communications position on the flagship of the federation fleet be alternately filled by the newly minted ship station's councilor and the rookie cadet who hasn't graduated from the academy yet? Why does the captain who runs the most vital military position in the quadrant, who is also the fleet commander and in charge of most of the strategic planning randomly run off to various supply missions in his flagship? There really could be no end to these questions. The answer is always the narrative, and the more you think about it the worse it gets.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Why doesn't the universal translator just translate Klingon or French? How come they keep flying beyond Warp 4 even though space scientists discovered that Warp engines cause space global warming? Given that the Doctor is a pretty sophisticated and human person and also just a computer, how come Data doesn't understand emotions? If you play Holo Mario 64 in the Holodeck but don't bring along your red cap, do you always take double damage as if your hat is missing, or does the computer provide you with a hat with your own initial on it?

All of these are questions you're not supposed to think about, and one thing I'll admit that Star Trek does pretty well is making sure that you don't. I haven't seen Enterprise yet, but I can bet that over-explaining tropes we took for granted is their bread and butter and part of why people tend to hate it so much.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's also a new ship of a new class. Tracking down a bunch of jackels in a plasma stormy mess is perfect for shake down. It has the bonus of being relatively safe, too. Maquis don't flat out destroy fed ships. Disable or computer virus all to hell but not destroy.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Bicyclops posted:

Given that the Doctor is a pretty sophisticated and human person and also just a computer, how come Data doesn't understand emotions?

Simulating emotion had already been invented by the time Data was built. He was intentionally left without that capability. :colbert:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Azurrat posted:

Simulating emotion had already been invented by the time Data was built. He was intentionally left without that capability. :colbert:

But why was he left without emotion when having emotion makes the Doctor so enjoyable but being without emotions makes Data feel so depressed?

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Because emotions made Lore a psychopath!

Aspergers is the true path.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Haha no this got completely retconned out. TNG references a "disastrous" Tomed Incident with the Romulans, the Norkan "campaigns" remembered by the Federation as "massacres", as well as the Enterprise-C being lost with all hands fighting Romulan warbirds at Narendra; border wars with the Talarians; and the Cardassian War lasted long enough that Captain Picard was dealing with Cardassians when he was commanding Stargazer.

By the time DS9 also retconned in wars with the Tzenkethi, the 24th century was very much no longer a "peaceful" era.

The implication over all of this, however, was that these "wars" were more comparable to police actions than to anything like the Dominion war or even the tensions with the Klingons. The analogy that jumps to the forefront is America post-WWII; we've been involved in between two and seven "wars" in the last sixty years (depending on how you count), but none of these even come close to the common historical classifications of wars. Similarly, you can see the Federation getting involved with the Tzenkethi, the Cardassians, or a couple incidents where they were a third party and still have it be peacetime for even the majority of Starfleet, and certainly the Federation. They "won" the cold war with the Klingons, and it earned them a half-century of fires to put out around the quadrant.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Except the Cardassians, none of these sound comparable to the Dominion War, though, which seemed like Space WWII vs. I don't know, Space Vietnam. The Federation could fart its way through episodes of the latter on the basis of its big fat supply tail and willingness to blow up Mirandas, I expect. I suppose you could also get some interesting commentary on what war of that sort means for a post-scarcity society, too.
e: drat you Gau :mad:

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Ehh, I always waffled that statement by imagining that the years between the TOS movies and TNG were "peaceful" for the Federation in the sense that the nineteenth century was "peaceful" for Britain. There were plenty of actual wars, but no signal conflagrations like the Revolutionary/Napoleonic Wars that sucked in the entire continent. Wars would be handled by comparatively small groups of volunteers out on the imperial frontier rather than by a general draft, that sort of thing.

Edit:...and I'm the third person to say the same thing. I will say, though, that I pictured the Tzenkethi to be the Trek equivalent of the Gulf War, i.e. a three-month campaign against a bunch of bug-eaters with carapaces trying to find reverse on an export-model D7. Not a worthy adversary.

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 28, 2013

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Bicyclops posted:

But why was he left without emotion when having emotion makes the Doctor so enjoyable but being without emotions makes Data feel so depressed?

Because emotions made Lore amoral and a bit of an rear end in a top hat, and Soong and his wife were worried that Data would react the same way. If memory serves, Soong intended for him to eventually get an emotion chip, but only after Data had "matured" enough to be responsible with it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Azurrat posted:

Because emotions made Lore amoral and a bit of an rear end in a top hat, and Soong and his wife were worried that Data would react the same way. If memory serves, Soong intended for him to eventually get an emotion chip, but only after Data had "matured" enough to be responsible with it.

Anyway the Federation discovered that the only thing that Doctor's model was good for was mining and Andy Dick's model ended up killing Space Phil Hartman.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

bobkatt013 posted:

Anyway the Federation discovered that the only thing that Doctor's model was good for was mining and Andy Dick's model ended up killing Space Phil Hartman.

But EMH mk3 (space Jon Lovitz) beat the poo poo out of him so it's all good

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009
These are the voyages of Starfleet HR, San Francisco. Its continuing mission: to study strange new labor laws; to set up payroll for new life and new civilizations; to boldly handle Barclay's harassment complaints that no branch has seen before.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Rynder posted:

These are the voyages of Starfleet HR, San Francisco. Its continuing mission: to study strange new labor laws; to set up payroll for new life and new civilizations; to boldly handle Barclay's harassment complaints that no branch has seen before.
Season 3 finale: "Where Geordi La Forge Has Gone Before"

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I can hear the opening fanfare already.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rynder posted:

J. J. is adapting this soon, but the Compensation department he added will prove controversial with fans.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rynder posted:

The day I realized that Babylon 5 was more deeply written than most episodes of Star Trek was the day I watched the labor union episode.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
What about the episode where Rom starts a union?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Here is a stupid thing that I think you will like. It is called Scroll Down To Riker.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

a travelling HEGEL posted:

Yeah, exactly. That's a corvette/frigate, not a long range vessel. Very fast, very small, small crew, and then they get to the Delta Quadrant and have, like, no supplies.

Except for all the torpedos and shuttle crafts.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

This is the dumbest poo poo and I cannot stop laughing.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It's great. Everone Scroll Down to Riker.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
^^ it is a pretty good way to kill 15 or 20 seconds

Lowen SoDium posted:

Except for all the torpedos and shuttle crafts.

Somewhere out there is a great schematic of Voyager with like 900 shuttles stacked everywhere inside. I couldn't find it though.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

a travelling HEGEL posted:

The day I realized that Babylon 5 was more deeply written than most episodes of Star Trek was the day I watched the labor union episode.

Explain what you mean by "deeply written," please.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Gau posted:

The implication over all of this, however, was that these "wars" were more comparable to police actions than to anything like the Dominion war or even the tensions with the Klingons. The analogy that jumps to the forefront is America post-WWII; we've been involved in between two and seven "wars" in the last sixty years (depending on how you count), but none of these even come close to the common historical classifications of wars. Similarly, you can see the Federation getting involved with the Tzenkethi, the Cardassians, or a couple incidents where they were a third party and still have it be peacetime for even the majority of Starfleet, and certainly the Federation. They "won" the cold war with the Klingons, and it earned them a half-century of fires to put out around the quadrant.

Nessus posted:

Except the Cardassians, none of these sound comparable to the Dominion War, though, which seemed like Space WWII vs. I don't know, Space Vietnam. The Federation could fart its way through episodes of the latter on the basis of its big fat supply tail and willingness to blow up Mirandas, I expect. I suppose you could also get some interesting commentary on what war of that sort means for a post-scarcity society, too.
e: drat you Gau :mad:

Well of course they're not going to compare to the Dominion War because they're not the biggest wars ever fought. :rolleyes:

So what you guys really mean is that the admiralty was never good because they've never had to lead a major war effort.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Well of course they're not going to compare to the Dominion War because they're not the biggest wars ever fought. :rolleyes:

So what you guys really mean is that the admiralty was never good because they've never had to lead a major war effort.

Yeah, basically. The difference is that they went from a period of heightened tensions and preparations (with the occasional flare-up) with a single, well-matched empire (a la the Cold War), to a multipolar quadrant where they were sailing around putting out brush fires in the name of exploration and peace. Essentially, they went from a period of preparing for war with the Klingons (but pretending to not be preparing for a war) to a period of pretending that the galaxy was all Happy Friend Time when it was really Happy Tree Friends.

I mean, let's be fair, Commodore Stocker wasn't exactly a pinnacle of command reasoning, either.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also the Refit Connie is the single best looking Star Trek ship ever, even better than the Galaxy class.

The Miranda class is better looking than the Galaxy class. The Galaxy class is a dog. The only reason the All Good Things Galaxy is awesome is because of the phaser cannon.

And extra nacelle.

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist
Jun 18, 2003

ANYONE WANT SOME BARBECUE?

Lipstick Apathy

Gammatron 64 posted:

I heard there's some prince out in Qatar or something who wants to make a 1:1 scale refit Enterprise, though.

From a few pages back, but the company I work for is building this:

The money is coming from outside investment companies, but King Abdullah is a big Trek fan and probably had a lot to do with there even being a Trek attraction. Paramount is doing the design work for it and it's based off JJ Trek's aesthetics.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Abdullah was an extra on Voyager too back when he was just Prince Abdullah.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Garrett Wang and Robert Beltran were extras on Voyager, too :v:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Goddamnit, billionaires. BUILD A STARFLEET HQ BUILDING IN SAN FRANCISCO, ALREADY.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist posted:

From a few pages back, but the company I work for is building this:

The money is coming from outside investment companies, but King Abdullah is a big Trek fan and probably had a lot to do with there even being a Trek attraction. Paramount is doing the design work for it and it's based off JJ Trek's aesthetics.

I like how the concept art devolves into a spastic mess of LEDs and spotlights just like the movies, they really captured the aesthetics!

Gonz posted:

Goddamnit, billionaires. BUILD A STARFLEET HQ BUILDING IN SAN FRANCISCO, ALREADY. kill yourselves so we can redistribute your unearned wealth in order to build an actual utopian future instead of pissing little bits of it away on glorified playsets for thoughtless rich nerds

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Tighclops posted:

kill yourselves so we can redistribute your unearned wealth in order to build an actual utopian future instead of pissing little bits of it away on glorified playsets for thoughtless rich nerds

Hey, now. That's sounding a little space communist-y, comrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Every time a billionaire dies, his or her unearned wealth is equally redistributed and the world gets a little better.

I vote we talk about something more realistic and likely to happen, like actual FTL travel.

• Locked thread