Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

comes along bort posted:

Pretty sure Bob Mould just used an MXR Distortion+ into various Fenders. There might have been phase issues from amp/mic placement though.

Incidentally that's sorta how Johnny Marr got that delayed tremolo effect on How Soon Is Now, by reamping the signal through several Twin Reverbs facing each other.

My favorite one weird guitar trick discovered by a mom the government doesn't want you to know about is Colin Richardson duct-taping two Marshall cabs together front to back to get the tone on Carcass' Heartwork. Another fun fact about that album: no click track.

Cheers for that, I've got a D+ so I'll try that. I did a bit of googling and it seems like for a lot of his career Bob has run two amps, one with a eventide pitchshifter set to a fraction of a semitone above or below. I do this all the time with synths in my daw so I'll try it with recorded guitars.

That Heartwork anecdote rules. Early melodeath has so many cool guitar tones obtained in the shittiest ways.

field balm fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Nope. Mississippi is a wasteland of Peavey Raptors and Epiphone Gibson Les Pauls.

You're in for a treat then. Definitely an "ah-ha!" moment in guitar playing.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Because of this drat thread I just bought a squier 50s butterscotch and a line 6 IV 15W. My wallet hates you all equally.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

KARMA! posted:

Because of this drat thread I just bought a squier 50s butterscotch and a line 6 IV 15W. My wallet hates you all equally.

It can't hate me, I'm an Epiphone shiller. :colbert:

And thread demands pictures, always pictures. It doesn't matter how many identical butterscotch guitars we've seen, we need to see another. It's a disease and you're next.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Nope. Mississippi is a wasteland of Peavey Raptors and Epiphone Gibson Les Pauls.
Head towards Tupelo, things get infinitely more interesting for cool guitars, hard to find any amp other than a drat Twin tho'.
The weird area from Muscle Shoals through Tupelo is loving AWESOME for old guitars.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

iostream.h posted:

Head towards Tupelo, things get infinitely more interesting for cool guitars, hard to find any amp other than a drat Twin tho'.
The weird area from Muscle Shoals through Tupelo is loving AWESOME for old guitars.

Tupelo is a four hour trip. I'm dead center in Jackson, MS. I went to GC yesterday to see what the sale was like. Wanted to try out a guitar with P90s through that Roland since that's what I roll with at home. One single guitar had P90s and it was a Fender Jaguar.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Tupelo is a four hour trip. I'm dead center in Jackson, MS. I went to GC yesterday to see what the sale was like. Wanted to try out a guitar with P90s through that Roland since that's what I roll with at home. One single guitar had P90s and it was a Fender Jaguar.

You say that like its a problem.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

P90s are actually kind of a good idea for a Jaguar. More mids, big bar magnets.

I love my Jaguar, but it can be awfully "plinky"

Anyway, you really should try and track down a silverface twin (preferably pre-'73, but really anything would do). They're a lot of them out there, and it would totally be worth the road trip. I have one here from '81 and it's a great, bassy, American clean machine.

Or, you should drive to Baton Rouge: http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/msg/4142487794.html

Vibro champs are killer.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Spanish Manlove posted:

You say that like its a problem.

P90s are where it's at!!

Yeah, Baton Rouge is the much better option for me. The guy who has the Roland I was curious about is in Denham Springs, a suburb of Baton Rouge.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 28, 2013

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I bet this will sound stupid and all but I'm new to the whole guitar playing thing. Why are tabs seemingly "upside down?" I mean, it doesn't make sense to me that the first string on my guitar is at the bottom of tabs. I guess I am just used to Rocksmith showing it the way the guitar actually is. I can invert it in Rocksmith too but it just feels just as wrong as seeing the British driving on the wrong side of the road. :v:

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

Torabi posted:

I bet this will sound stupid and all but I'm new to the whole guitar playing thing. Why are tabs seemingly "upside down?" I mean, it doesn't make sense to me that the first string on my guitar is at the bottom of tabs. I guess I am just used to Rocksmith showing it the way the guitar actually is. I can invert it in Rocksmith too but it just feels just as wrong as seeing the British driving on the wrong side of the road. :v:

Start inverting it in Rocksmith. Rocksmith is wrong.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Mostly because Rocksmith decided to do it "upside down," and that's what you're used to, because of it.

Incidentally, it was the first thing I changed in Rocksmith, to make it more like a normal tablature.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Also the reason tabs are the way they are (probably) is because it reflects written music, in the sense that lower notes are at the bottom and higher ones are higher up. As a general rule anyway, depends what fret you're on but y'know

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Does anyone know or remember, if black Friday sales for places like Musicians Friend and Sweetwater "leak" early? Or do you just have to wait and see?

I have extra money this year, and want to buy some discounted poo poo, that I don't really need.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I guess I should invert it while I am still learning how to play. But it feels easier to know that the note shows on the guitar in the game corresponds to the guitar in my hands. So I won't have to think that everything is upside down all the time. Then again, I want to play outside of Rocksmith eventually.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Because you're looking down at the guitar, hence top-is-bottom and bottom-is-top.

Conversely Rocksmith is like looking into a mirror.

I don't have problems mentally flipping between the two. I don't play a lot of Rocksmith though.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Torabi posted:

I guess I should invert it while I am still learning how to play. But it feels easier to know that the note shows on the guitar in the game corresponds to the guitar in my hands. So I won't have to think that everything is upside down all the time. Then again, I want to play outside of Rocksmith eventually.

And once you get used to tabs it will feel exactly the same.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You're literally a heathen worthy of an auto de fe in my eyes if you believe tabs should have the wound e (sixth string I guess) on top.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Is that what the hip kids call throwing someone out a window?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
They mostly used to involve pyres and iron maidens (EXCELLENT).

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
The sooner you dispense with tab and learn to work from the stave the better.

Sell your Rocksmith game and buy a Hal Leonard book.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Help. I bought an 8-string guitar earlier this year but I am in dire need of motivation to play it. It sits there taunting me for my inadequacy. Mainly I'm in need of suggestions for songs to listen to/practice without having to tune the thing to some really strange open tuning such as used in Monuments - The Uncollective. I know the last 2 Deftones albums were done on 8s and the whole djent genre is based around 8s but there are so many ridiculously complex arrangements I wouldn't even know where to start. For the most part when I have noodled around on it I've almost exclusively used the thing as a replacement for my downtuned 6-string (tuned to B Standard or Drop A depending on mood) and a little bit for attempting stuff like Nevermore.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I would just play messhugah tunes all day probably. I'm not really into a lot of 8 string stuff. Maybe try learning some of the tappin and slappin poo poo from animals as leaders

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Animals as Leaders is a good choice, Tosin Abasi is bloody godlike on an ERG and a recent Guitar World had an article towards the back where he broke down the tapping parts of one of his songs. I need to get some more listening done. Between him and Misha Mansoor though, good grief they can play.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don't even know why I still own an 8 string but I can't lie, jamming Meshuggah riffs is endlessly fun. You could always try coming up with jazz chord progressions and use the extended range to play the bass notes.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I like me some Deftones but I wouldn't say they're into complex arrangements, more like 'hey we can get a lower note in this chord (turn that bassist down)'

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don't even know why I still own an 8 string but I can't lie, jamming Meshuggah riffs is endlessly fun. You could always try coming up with jazz chord progressions and use the extended range to play the bass notes.

Part of the difficulty I have in wrapping my head around the 8-string is that when tuned standard the bottom end is an F# which throws me completely, especially with regards to chord shapes.

I love the polyrhythmic poo poo Meshuggah does so I guess it's time to work my way through the three Meshuggah albums I own and find some tracks to challenge myself with.

baka kaba posted:

I like me some Deftones but I wouldn't say they're into complex arrangements, more like 'hey we can get a lower note in this chord (turn that bassist down)'

Agreed, the last album in particular the tuning was Drop E (EBEADGBE) with a lot of pedal tone style bass notes on guitar so not too complicated there.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I just broke the b string on my cv 50s tele. I think it's the first string I've ever broken (granted because of rocksmith I've played more bends than ever before in my life). It looks like it broke right at the saddle or something.

I've only ever bought acoustic strings before. What brand/type should I buy to replace it? It looks like it comes with .09s stock, which were fine with me. I don't want to wait for shipping so I'll probably walk into guitar center tomorrow and get something.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^ Looks like time for the chat. About nakedness and g-strings

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

If someone at the shop has a set of feeler gauges, they can check the width of the existing set. Replace with the same unless you also want to contemplate a set up. It's not necessary in all cases, but if you're changing string gauges it's a good idea.

I like d'addarrio, but everybody here had an opinion. Sometimes more than one.

I also like a wound G, but that's a love it or hate it kind of thing for most players.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

havelock posted:

I just broke the b string on my cv 50s tele. I think it's the first string I've ever broken (granted because of rocksmith I've played more bends than ever before in my life). It looks like it broke right at the saddle or something.

I've only ever bought acoustic strings before. What brand/type should I buy to replace it? It looks like it comes with .09s stock, which were fine with me. I don't want to wait for shipping so I'll probably walk into guitar center tomorrow and get something.

Everyone has their own preference on sizes and brands, so feel free to experiment. D'Addarios seem to get more love around here than Ernie Balls, but I use Slinkies on my Strat and I like them.

The strings Fenders and Squiers come with out of the factory are infamously crappy, so you'll want to take this opportunity to practice restringing the whole thing. Make sure you get an extra set or two, because chances are you will break a few strings while you get the hang of changing them. (And if you don't break any, it means less trips to the music store. This is important because you will get the urge to spend ridiculous amounts of money on gear the longer you hang around one.)

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

jwh posted:

If someone at the shop has a set of feeler gauges, they can check the width of the existing set. Replace with the same unless you also want to contemplate a set up. It's not necessary in all cases, but if you're changing string gauges it's a good idea.

I like d'addarrio, but everybody here had an opinion. Sometimes more than one.

I also like a wound G, but that's a love it or hate it kind of thing for most players.

Tell me about the wound G.

Zonekeeper posted:

Everyone has their own preference on sizes and brands, so feel free to experiment. D'Addarios seem to get more love around here than Ernie Balls, but I use Slinkies on my Strat and I like them.

The strings Fenders and Squiers come with out of the factory are infamously crappy, so you'll want to take this opportunity to practice restringing the whole thing. Make sure you get an extra set or two, because chances are you will break a few strings while you get the hang of changing them. (And if you don't break any, it means less trips to the music store. This is important because you will get the urge to spend ridiculous amounts of money on gear the longer you hang around one.)

I've changed acoustic strings before and I think I put d'addarios on that once or twice before switching to elixers and never changing them again, so it's not my first time changing them. I just watched a youtube about preventing the string from popping out of the vintage tuners, so hopefully I'll be fine. I'm mostly trying to head off standing there at GC looking at a wall of strings and not knowing what to get (though I suspect they are largely similar).

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

They are largely similar.

A wound G is wrapped like the low E, A, and D strings. Similar to a set of acoustic guitar strings. Back in the day, electric guitar strings almost always had a wound G, which is why some vintage guitars have pickups designed for a wound G. This is especially true with Fender pickups with staggered pole pieces: a plain G will sound overly bright and loud, usually.

In modern times, it's less of an issue and more of a cosmetic choice, or, if you're like me, just prefer the wound G for some reason.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I like Elixirs, DRs, and Ernie Ball Cobalts. DRs are obviously the cheapest. When I say DR, I mean the Tite-Fits, not the other types. I haven't tried the other types, but I hear they're not as good, save maybe the pure blues or whatever.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

muike posted:

I like Elixirs, DRs, and Ernie Ball Cobalts. DRs are obviously the cheapest. When I say DR, I mean the Tite-Fits, not the other types. I haven't tried the other types, but I hear they're not as good, save maybe the pure blues or whatever.

Yeah I think the Tite-Fits would be a good place to start for someone just starting out.

But I think strings boil down to 2 criteria: What music do you play, What feels good to your hands. I famously HATE the EB Cobalts, they just feel gross to my fingertips.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I felt the same way at first with the Cobalts, but after 15 minutes, I can't imagine a string feeling any other way. So yeah, there's a lot of preference with strings. It's amazing how something so fundamentally simple can have such an impact on a player.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Well the reason I mentioned the wound G is that Tele has the vintage 3-barrel bridge, right?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I like me some DR strings but recently had to settle for some D'Addarios. Though before I discovered DR I was using Ernie Balls. I like me some DRs.

DR also has the best coated sets if you ask me.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 29, 2013

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Maybe I'm a guitar philistine, but I love Elixir strings. It's all I use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I played Ernie Ball regular slinkies for around 20 years until I recently tried Dean Markley Blue Steel and have wondered what the hell I was thinking. I had started using the EB cobalts on my PRS CU24 to brighten it up a bit but now that I put the Burstbuckers in it I'll probably switch it to the Blue Steels as well.