Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Ceciltron posted:

I need to buy tea, anyone know what the best way for me to buy some good Pu-Erh is? I have no idea where to even start.

What city are you in? Beijing? What kind of Pu-Erh do you want? How much do you know about different kinds and such? I have basic recommendations on the tea itself if you are at all interested. For instance, are you looking for sheng or shou? You probably already know what you want though.

I think there are a few tea stores I found acceptable on DongSi N. St. just before BeiXingCiao where I have gotten good Pu-Erh. Not cheap if any good. There is a relatively large one on the east side of the road a few blocks before the ring road as I recall. Things change though and last time I was there my favorite tea house was just gone. It is all set prices, though they might through some things in sometimes.

Don't buy from the large tea houses like the one across from TianAnMen. It will be a bit of a crap shoot on quality and overpriced.

What might be best is to have a goon in the south, where Pu-Erh grows, buy some for you. I also have no idea about tea on TaoBao, but it seems likely that is a thing. Someone else can tell you about that. There is something like a tea market on the west side, but I can never remember where. If you go there get a Chinese friend to go with you since bargaining is in and you will never get a decent price if you try to do that yourself.

I am sure other people have better info.

Edit: oh! You're in Harbin (which makes you a Harbinger?). No idea on tea there. Breathing seems out as well.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Readman
Jun 15, 2005

What it boils down to is wider nature strips, more trees and we'll all make wicker baskets in Balmain.

These people are trying to make my party into something other than it is. They're appendages. That's why I'll never abandon ship, and never let those people capture it.
Wondering if I could get some quick advice.

Going to Shanghai for a couple of months for an intensive language course to brush up on my Mandarin.

Going to be studying at Fudan but, because I'll be a mid-semester entrant, it doesn't look like there's going to be any student accommodation available. Any tips on long-stay apartments/other accommodation?

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Ceciltron posted:

I need to buy tea, anyone know what the best way for me to buy some good Pu-Erh is? I have no idea where to even start.

You should go to a local tea shop so you can sample it. They'll usually break out a disc of the best seller but you can ask for a couple of other samples. It's ok to go to chain stores but don't ignore the little shops if you pass by one.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

ZombieParts posted:

You should go to a local tea shop so you can sample it. They'll usually break out a disc of the best seller but you can ask for a couple of other samples. It's ok to go to chain stores but don't ignore the little shops if you pass by one.

Tea shops are ridiculously overpriced compared to TaoBao. I've bought some Buddha Goddess and Red Tea from some TaoBao vendors and it's loving fantastic. Just sort the search results by popularity.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Where can I buy that special Henan tea that's picked by mouth by virgins with large breasts?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

bad day posted:

Where can I buy that special Henan tea that's picked by mouth by virgins with large breasts?

You are in luck! I have some that I came into by way of a Nigerian Prince! I will be happy to part with it for a fair price.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Sogol posted:

You are in luck! I have some that I came into by way of a Nigerian Prince! I will be happy to part with it for a fair price.

I'm willing to trade you this blanket a Buddhist Grandmaster Monk of Qi Gong gave me that can cure syphillis!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I'll give you 4000 steamed pork buns and 50 unbound Liang.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

bad day posted:

Sorry... fresh out of that, but I do have a source for that special tea that's picked by breast by whores with large mouths. 差不多

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Sorry... fresh out of that, but I do have a source for that special tea that's picked by breast by whores with large mouths. 差不多

No one wants your tea PPL quit talking about it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Serious post for a moment, guys:

I need to get new debit cards from my American banks. My old ones kind of expired 2 years ago, and I've been using nothing but Maos since.

The problem is, over half the things I've tried to have sent to me (including two previous debit card attempts...yes, my money is still there) have failed to arrive. I can mail things FROM China reliably, but things coming into China, even just letters, routinely fail to get to me. The only clue I've got is that of the two things I've had actually arrive at their destination from outside China, one of them had the address in Chinese. IIRC both were using China Post. IIRC most of the others would have had Pinyin addresses.

Further complicating things, at least one of my banks' databases cannot accept Chinese characters, and none of the addresses to which I can send things have addresses short enough in Pinyin to fit in their database fields. (I haven't tried the other one yet.) Oh, and I need these cards by the end of next month.

So my plan is to have them sent to my dad in the US, and have him send them to me. What is the most reliable service available in Podunk USA for sending things to China? Is USPS->China Post fast enough these days? (That being the only option that I'm 100 percent sure will allow me to use an address in Chinese characters) I haven't sent anything with UPS or Fedex in forever, can one just print an address and slap it on, or does it have to be typed or copied somewhere onto a company label? My dad cannot do that.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

I haven't sent anything with UPS or Fedex in forever, can one just print an address and slap it on, or does it have to be typed or copied somewhere onto a company label? My dad cannot do that.

Address will go in to the system using pinyin but an additional lable in Chinese should be stuck to the outside of the package somewhere.

Personally, I find the only way to ensure that something gets delivered to my office address is to leave the phone number off the details so the delivery dude is forced to attempt a genuine delivery.

I would recommend DHL for something like this (the UK uses them for passports) because they have an all-in-house delivery chain from the US to China.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
I spent 2 years trying to get my cards because my address is never short enough in Romanized Korean to fit in the system. For a international bank i find that absurd. I eventually moved and got my debit card but the system that the debit card office uses allows for more characters than the credit card office the next office over.

I need to leave phone numbers off to otherwise they just call and yell at me in fast old man Korean. Kind of glad it's the same in China.

Almond Crunch
Oct 29, 2005
God-damn tasty..
I live in Yunnan! I'm awash in puer tea but p much a babby; i have no idea how to use a post office((

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Hong Kong not having zip codes is hilariously fun for online ordering. Most of the time you can enter like New Territories or Kowloon, but sometimes they demand numbers.

I just placed an online order this weekend and filled in a bullshit address that I found hilarious 'Somewhere really far away' in the 'Mysterious orient' because the only thing that matters for computer processing is that the address ends in Hong Kong. The order went through but then got cancelled for fraud later when someone looked at the text.

I thought no one would look :sweatdrop:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Man if you told me 2 weeks ago I would have hand delivered letter to your sausage goon fingers.

China post sucks and takes 4weeks to get post cards but I thought having a postal code would negate any ambiguities

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

My previous apartment was on a street that didn't have a name. The name of the complex was so generic that there was another complex with exactly the same name about 2 km away, and at least 3 others that I know of in Shenzhen. Getting anything delivered was pretty hit or miss.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
How many overt or implicit references to wealth and/or power were in the name of the complex?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

荔园新村
I report, you decide.

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~

VideoTapir posted:

So my plan is to have them sent to my dad in the US, and have him send them to me. What is the most reliable service available in Podunk USA for sending things to China? Is USPS->China Post fast enough these days? (That being the only option that I'm 100 percent sure will allow me to use an address in Chinese characters) I haven't sent anything with UPS or Fedex in forever, can one just print an address and slap it on, or does it have to be typed or copied somewhere onto a company label? My dad cannot do that.

I have my mom forward me stuff all the time using either DHL or fedex. You can fill out both labels online, and just have him print it out and send it that way. Also maybe try mailing them not to your home, but to your work? I had letters turn up missing when they went to my apartment, but never to work.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Yeah same here. My dad's tried sending a couple test letters and none of them arrived to my apartment, but we almost never have anything go missing that's sent to the office and we usually don't even have an address written in Chinese on those.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

FearCotton posted:

I have my mom forward me stuff all the time using either DHL or fedex. You can fill out both labels online, and just have him print it out and send it that way. Also maybe try mailing them not to your home, but to your work? I had letters turn up missing when they went to my apartment, but never to work.

I did that, but it was using the company's own anglicized version of the address, which fits in my bank's fields, but apparently doesn't actually work for getting things delivered.

I think I may see if I can get my dad's neighbor to do it, as it turns out my dad's printer is broken. Also my dad still can't drive ATM for health reasons. I had been unaware of that little detail before today.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

VideoTapir posted:

I did that, but it was using the company's own anglicized version of the address, which fits in my bank's fields, but apparently doesn't actually work for getting things delivered.

I think I may see if I can get my dad's neighbor to do it, as it turns out my dad's printer is broken. Also my dad still can't drive ATM for health reasons. I had been unaware of that little detail before today.

Why the hell would you enter a foreign address on a US account? That's just like, begging for problems.

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001
USPS Flat Rate Priority Int'l boxes with the Chinese address slapped on 4 lyfe. Never had a single issue, always here within a week or so. PC told everyone that they MUST USE DHL or BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN but DHL (and UPS!) has been constantly loving up everyone elses packages non-stop while I sit here all :smug: but YMMV and for something like a debit card then maybe DHL would be a better choice

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Why the hell would you enter a foreign address on a US account? That's just like, begging for problems.

Um... Because we want that package. Where else do you send it? Check your reliable family privilege.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Usps rules I love those guys.

Goons in China, if you need a package shipped from the us or your old basement, pm me and I will carry it across the border and use sf express post. I smuggled an air soft pistol and sent it to Beijing.

So debit cards are ok.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
If someone asked for my China address to send me something I'd always send them a PDF like the one below and tell 'em to print it and slap it on the package. At least that way if it found its way to China it was more likely to find its way to me. I like to think it worked MOST of the time

Also, I too had way better luck getting stuff shipped to work rather than my home address.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I don't actually know *where* I live. Is that weird?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Ceciltron posted:

I don't actually know *where* I live. Is that weird?

You're new, so no, not really. As long as you can find your way home, that's what's important. Besides, some complexes have rather convoluted addresses. Get your handler or a friend to help you out I guess.

gwrtheyrn posted:

OK fine. I'm going to Xi An this weekend. Is there anything that I should do/eat there that wouldn't be immediately obvious?

how was your trip to Xi'an?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I would always get things delivered to an office anyway, less chance of them missing you and your package ending up in the great pile of unloved parcels that exists in all apartment complexes.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Magna Kaser posted:

I would always get things delivered to an office anyway, less chance of them missing you and your package ending up in the great pile of unloved parcels that exists in all apartment complexes.

This is actually one of the reasons we are setting up our little 业委会. Ever desperate to screw residents over more, 物业 has been making "partnerships" with delivery services. Wherein they become a middleman and take a fee. Have a delivery? 物业 will sign for it and maybe deliver it, if they feel like it, pocketing a chunk of the delivery fee in the process. Sending a package? Signs up everywhere urging to just use them and pay a few extra kuai. 汇通 is already unusable, if you call for a pickup, they just forward it to 物业. poo poo takes a week to deliver now and tons of it gets lost with zero recourse, as 物业 gives no shits and 汇通's policy is that once it's signed for, they are no longer liable.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

setting up our little 业委会
Homeowner's association

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

物业 has been making "partnerships"
Property management

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Have a delivery? 物业 will sign for it
Property management

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

汇通 is already unusable
I don't even know what this is. I assume some kind of courier service.

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

they just forward it to 物业
Property management

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

as 物业 gives no shits
Property management

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

and 汇通's policy is that
Probably some kind of courier service I dunno.

Leave your lovely Chinese in the LAN thread. You're not impressing anyone.

Oh wait please tell me again how you have a Han Chinese hukou despite not being a permanent resident, much less a naturalized citizen, oh great 中國通 :allears: (that means 'China expert').

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Bloodnose posted:

Homeowner's association

Property management

Property management

I don't even know what this is. I assume some kind of courier service.

Property management

Property management

Probably some kind of courier service I dunno.

Leave your lovely Chinese in the LAN thread. You're not impressing anyone.

Oh wait please tell me again how you have a Han Chinese hukou despite not being a permanent resident, much less a naturalized citizen, oh great 中國通 :allears: (that means 'China expert').

Deal with it hongkie.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Pro-PRC for someone who is often touted as business class Goonlord of China it really does seem like you are living a miserable existence in a lovely housing development!

First the dirty ditch now package delivery extortion. Wow, who wouldn't want to be a homeowner in China!?

EDIT: Although I'm just jealous because I throw money down the drain in rent.

Rabelais D fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 29, 2013

AfroNinja
Oct 24, 2006
I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT EXPLOITING WOMEN BECAUSE I HAVE A SMALL DICK AND DESERVE TO TAKE A BULLET IN THE SKULL
I just read about the bombing in Beijing at Tianamen Square. Checking in the make sure BJ goons are alright! Avoiding bombs is another thing you have to add to your list of surviving China.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

This is actually one of the reasons we are setting up our little 业委会. Ever desperate to screw residents over more, 物业 has been making "partnerships" with delivery services. Wherein they become a middleman and take a fee. Have a delivery? 物业 will sign for it and maybe deliver it, if they feel like it, pocketing a chunk of the delivery fee in the process. Sending a package? Signs up everywhere urging to just use them and pay a few extra kuai. 汇通 is already unusable, if you call for a pickup, they just forward it to 物业. poo poo takes a week to deliver now and tons of it gets lost with zero recourse, as 物业 gives no shits and 汇通's policy is that once it's signed for, they are no longer liable.

This sucks and it sounds like you live in a sucky place. I've never had to deal with anything like this at all, hth!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The news is saying it was a car crash that injured 39 people. :raise:

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

The news is saying it was a car crash that injured 39 people. :raise:

HK news reported a car crash, but you never know since it's communist friendly media backed by the shoe shining LegCo. :sparkles:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
If the car hit one of those steel traffic barriers they've got all over Beijing end-on, it would sound like an explosion. Heard a couple of such incidents myself.

MeramJert posted:

This sucks and it sounds like you live in a sucky place. I've never had to deal with anything like this at all, hth!

I never would have expected Pro-PRC to be a victim like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
The editor in chief of the SCMP is Wang Xiangwei.

That is a very mainlandy name.

His personal editorials do have some criticisms of the government though so you never know.