Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

quote:

That doesn't need to be "sic"ed, and indeed the sic makes it harder to read. They have started paying a fine of five feathers for rolls that go off the board.

An off-the-board-roll-fine is a weird hyphenate though, that's probably where the [sic] would make more sense. I tried reading the original ks page in like a commercial announcer voice in a podcast a whole back, it was fun but difficult because of the whip-snap turns he randomly throws into his sentence structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Holy crap.

My first TG kickstarter is finally coming true. :ohdear:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
28 pounds. Holy crap.

I thought my 19 pounds of Zombicide Season 2 was big (drat it FedEx, deliver my box already! :argh:)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Real jealous, but mine is shipping last since I'm a few hours away from Austin.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

What is the email subject that had your tracking number? I'm looking for mine and my inbox is a wreck.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
My Hillfolk books came yesterday, and they look great, except for the poo poo that got missed in proofing and some really terrible art.

At least the system is decent.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

moths posted:

What is the email subject that had your tracking number? I'm looking for mine and my inbox is a wreck.

FedEx Shipment Notification, the address is trackingupdates@fedex.com.

Peas and Rice posted:

My Hillfolk books came yesterday, and they look great, except for the poo poo that got missed in proofing and some really terrible art.

Really? I thought the core Hillfolk setting art was fantaaastic. There are some dodgy pieces for some of the settings but Jan Pospíšil is great. I was very satisfied given I had no expectations for the art at all, the only think I can think of as kinda dorky is the photography from Blood on the Snow, which are pretty much fine enough for imgur but not necessarily for a book.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
At last, after ten thousand years, dreamforge games's second wave is free! It's time to conquer Terra! Two Leviathan Mortis models arrived on my front step in a frankly titanic box. Apparently some poo poo went wrong that significantly delayed shipment, but eventually got worked out, and now all there is to wait for is wave 3's Valkyr(space marine standins). No pics yet since I'm at work atm, but they look to be just as high quality as the Leviathan Crusaders. Wish I could've pledged more at the time, these models are seriously top notch.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Gasperkun posted:

Got my copy today also. Fate Core is supposed to be dual licensed through both CC and OGL, so there's that, but I haven't gotten to look at Ehdrigohr enough to ascertain why he went for that version.

Some people use OGL because it's better to use an old license that may not be legal in all countries owned by a corporation that doesn't care about the license than it is to use a actively maintained license with a backing organization that works to keep them valid across the world.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cheneybeast posted:

I received my copy of CENTERPIECE this week. It contained the following note, crumple up in the shipping envelope.

Hello new CENTERPIECE owner

Just want to share a note about CENTERPIECE. Follow the rules carefully when first starting to play. Friend Dave S and I would play again and again. You will too after seeing how it all works.

We even starting paying
(sic) an off-the-board-roll-fine of five feathers. The game board like a new book, and will lie flat after being broken in.

After your game-chips lands on the DIVIDE your game-parts. The no/rest circles have to be followed, just move that game-piece. It helps speed-up your game, because other game piece stay put.

With the right combination of rolls a player can circle the board. Be fair what happens to one player, becomes the rule for the next time it happens. It's all part of the FUN!

Thanks Dan M

No, thank YOU, Dan M.

I'd like to post pictures and rules later, but since it didn't fund on KS (I got mine off eBay) I'm not sure what thread it belongs in. Fatal & Friends?

Wait.

Waitwaitwait.

CENTERPIECE is real? It exists physically? :psyboom:

And you goddamn well better post pictures.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I got my Hillfolk books today, and they look incredible. I was expecting smaller books like Fiasco, but they're fullsize hardcovers.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Thanlis posted:

Some people use OGL because it's better to use an old license that may not be legal in all countries owned by a corporation that doesn't care about the license than it is to use a actively maintained license with a backing organization that works to keep them valid across the world.

I'm still at a loss as to what the Fate Core rules system has in common with the WOTC d20 OGL that requires it be placed in Fate ore only books. Did Wizards write a generic fair use legal statement that companies use for their non d20 systems?

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm still at a loss as to what the Fate Core rules system has in common with the WOTC d20 OGL that requires it be placed in Fate ore only books. Did Wizards write a generic fair use legal statement that companies use for their non d20 systems?
There's an important distinction between the OGL and the d20 STL (System Trademark License). The OGL is a generic license for making portions of a game text available for others to use, while the d20 STL was a special license that let you use the official d20 logo and some other text, in exchange for accepting several limitations on what you can do (like not including actual character creation rules, as it was partly intended to drive sales of the PHB). Evil Hat and several other publishers have found the OGL suitable for what they want to do with their RPG rules, I think because having the ability to selectively make content open (so for example you could make the character classes in a book open without making the setting info open), plus most RPG publishers are very familiar with it. Evil Hat has started to also use Creative Commons, which a few others (like Eclipse Phase and Dungeon World) have also used, and other licenses besides are not unknown.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

Germ posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/48375726/worldsmith-industries-wrecked-vehicles-for-sci-fi/posts

One last option (not a stretch goal) for backers before I go off to bed. Maggot Swarm Bases, purpose for showing your allegiance to Papa Nurgle.

And also, because GWAR is wonderful, Maggots Are Falling Like Rain.

I got my wreck markers today - they look awesome. Great job! Now I just have to get them painted up and looking like something.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.
Shadows of Brimstone I looked back before this Kickstarter started and didn't see any mention of it, so here goes.

It's a dungeon crawler game by Flying Frog Games, the guys who did Last Night on Earth, but the setting is what sold me on it. Who doesn't want to be a cowboy shooting demons from another dimension? The buy-in price seemed too high to me, but the FAQ I read made me pretend I was getting my money's worth. I'm probably not.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Fate was originally based on Fudge, which was published under the OGL.

Also while (IMHO) it's possible to publish something under Creative Commons and make the license OGL compatible, I also think it's simpler to just publish under both licenses if you want people to be able to merge your material with other OGL material.

Probably this ought to go to the Industry thread if it needs more kicking around, I guess.

Thedandmom
Jul 5, 2013
Rewards have begun arriving for the Deck of Legends kickstarter. I've gotten in the buttons and the bookmarks.

Posters and Prints have been ordered as well as the fabric for the bags.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Zhent posted:

I got my wreck markers today - they look awesome. Great job! Now I just have to get them painted up and looking like something.

Yea! Glad to hear it!

I've got a question for those of you who have run kickstarters, hell, anyone, I guess. What do I do with the nonresponders? I've got a small group of folks (3 for me, which given I've only got 45 backers, is a nontrivial percentage) whose payment went through, but haven't indicated what they want for rewards. I sent out the Kickstarter survey, to collect an e-mail that I could use for the reward survey. One person hasn't responded to that. The two stragglers who did respond didn't respond to the email prompts to complete the reward survey. I've used updates, Kickstarter messages, and e-mail, but have heard no response.

Any suggestion on how to handle these folks? I'd love to wrap up the delivery end of the Kickstarter, but at some point I'm going to come across as a stalker. Is this common? I reckon I can send another reminder in a month or so (it's been about 2 months from my initial attempts), but is there some other protocol I should be following?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Germ posted:

Yea! Glad to hear it!

I've got a question for those of you who have run kickstarters, hell, anyone, I guess. What do I do with the nonresponders? I've got a small group of folks (3 for me, which given I've only got 45 backers, is a nontrivial percentage) whose payment went through, but haven't indicated what they want for rewards. I sent out the Kickstarter survey, to collect an e-mail that I could use for the reward survey. One person hasn't responded to that. The two stragglers who did respond didn't respond to the email prompts to complete the reward survey. I've used updates, Kickstarter messages, and e-mail, but have heard no response.

Any suggestion on how to handle these folks? I'd love to wrap up the delivery end of the Kickstarter, but at some point I'm going to come across as a stalker. Is this common? I reckon I can send another reminder in a month or so (it's been about 2 months from my initial attempts), but is there some other protocol I should be following?

I'd simply say they have until a specific cut off date to tell you what they want, after that they will just have to take what you give them. It sounds lovely, but hopefully it will be enough to get them off their rear end to respond.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, give them a deadline. It's totally reasonable to expect someone to respond to your survey by x date.

Reaper Bones II just finished and we have until the end of december to make final decisions using their tool, after which they're locked in. I'm sure they'll have some people who simply never pick what they want, or who have excess unallocated cash or whatever. Presumably you either keep the money or refund it, just be clear up front what your policy will be about that money and they'll have nobody to blame but themselves if they don't keep up.

One thing to be aware of though is that people have spam folders and don't check them, so it's worth posting an official Update on kickstarter with your policy. Gives them a chance to notice it there, if they're wondering whatever happened to that one KS they pldeged for but never heard anything back about.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Germ posted:

Yea! Glad to hear it!

I've pledged to several Kickstarters that mention people not hsving filled out surveys months or even over a year after they went out, and some set deadlines for a response. It's always seemed reasonable to me.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Fair enough, thanks. I don't reckon I'd refuse them if the eventually contacted me, but I'll make sure I try again over the next couple of weeks (including putting it on an update). After that, I'll feel free to start offering stuff for sale to the public.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Thedandmom posted:

Rewards have begun arriving for the Deck of Legends kickstarter. I've gotten in the buttons and the bookmarks.

Posters and Prints have been ordered as well as the fabric for the bags.

Looking good! I'm anticipating my deck, I'm putting together some Malifaux models and I'm looking forward to playing Malifaux in style with said deck.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
Busy day with my Kickstarter mailbox, so I'm gonna break this up into two posts...

Tianxia updated; they passed $20,000 and at $21,000 there will be an appendix to include how to handle the game using FAE instead of Fate Core. This doesn't change any of the other stretch goal positions, making it basically a bonus.

Also, there is news that another supplement will be added to the stretch goal list once they figure an amount to ascribe to it. Since the name has Arcana in it, it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch that it will be the magic book Jack Norris has been teasing elsewhere.

A solution for the international shipping issue hasn't been reached yet, apparently, so it's still really expensive if you have to ship to somewhere outside the U.S. on this project in particular (though it obviously is affecting everyone).

At $23,000 the next major supplement happens, which includes stuff like mass combat and other things which Mike Olson (of Strange Fate, Fate Core, and Atomic Robo in Fate Core fame) is involved in materialize.
----
If you backed Tenra Bansho Zero, you might wanna check your inbox too, because drafts of some remaining supplements are now available. That or go to Kickstarter and read the updates. There's also an announcement in the latest update that Ryuutama is scheduled to start its Kickstarter this week. I mentioned this in other threads because I heard it from Andy K, but he has now made it more widely available knowledge.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
(Continued)
-----
About $5000 away from Dragon Kings getting the 13th Age bump. The Fate Core version seems pretty far off, since it's at $70,000 total. But maybe it could still happen.
-----
I won't speak for Mikan, but the update about Nightfall/Nocturne was good to see! If you are into 13th Age, you have probably heard of ASH LAW (I still don't know why he does all caps, but he does!), and he has had a big hand in bringing the project back, so if you get your mitts on this book at some point you will get to see what he did.
-----
Geographica for Atlantis: The Second Age by Jerry Grayson, of Godsend Agenda and Hellas fame, is the follow-up to his successful Kickstarter earlier this year; it started over the weekend and has funded already, on its way to becoming a color book. The beta for the core PDF is out and has been getting revised before books go to press.

This book is for setting info and if the stretch goal hits (at $15,000), the book gets additional pages and also includes a bestiary. There's options in the pledge levels to get the original book if you're interested and missed the first Kickstarter. I don't know the technicalities of the different systems, but apparently the system has similarities with Talislanta's, and I think it is what powers Hellas. This is a reboot on the older game but the rights have been split so it's not a direct new edition in every way.

And as with the original Kickstarter, a draft of the text of this book is available for looking at.

Gasperkun fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Oct 29, 2013

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Anyone with access to the playtest rules want to talk a bit more about this? I'm kind of hesitant to chuck in at $15 if it's not going to be particularly innovative.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Anyone with access to the playtest rules want to talk a bit more about this? I'm kind of hesitant to chuck in at $15 if it's not going to be particularly innovative.

You can throw in $1 for a draft PDF which looks more professional and complete than many final published products on DTRPG.

The art is the first thing that caught my attention; it's excellent throughout and all by the same person. The game-running and genre-emulation advice is good. The setting is written well enough, with some really fun bits here and there. The rules are a nice alternative to DIY but aren't innovative. The thing that departs most drastically from standard Fate Core rules is the kung fu system and it's the weakest part of the book. Apart from some eyebrow-raising clear imbalances in the example styles, the kung fu system's not terrible.

I haven't been following the RPG.net thread much at all, but I got the impression Jack is very interested in feedback. I'm just a little dubious about significant changes like I think the kung fu system could use when the draft looks like it's only a few steps away from printing.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Oct 29, 2013

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Got my Zombicide Season 2 box - 19 pounds of cardboard and plastic. 244 miniatures. :ohdear:

But I do have to say, opening it up, it is the first game in a long time that I've been excited to paint up and play.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Gasperkun posted:

I won't speak for Mikan, but the update about Nightfall/Nocturne was good to see! If you are into 13th Age, you have probably heard of ASH LAW (I still don't know why he does all caps, but he does!), and he has had a big hand in bringing the project back, so if you get your mitts on this book at some point you will get to see what he did.

I was blown away by what he already had prepared for Nightfall (now Nocturne). When I heard from Darren that ASH LAW had done an adventure I was expecting something quick and simple. No, it was a twelve thousand word open-ended adventure path with complete mechanics and cool set pieces.

The next status report will have a preview of the adventure so people can check it out.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wish I had backed it now, knowing now that the injokey nonsense has been kicked out the door.

Hey, irony.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I wish I had backed it now, knowing now that the injokey nonsense has been kicked out the door.

Hey, irony.

I'm pretty happy I didn't, given that the money all mysteriously vanished without going to anyone actually working on the project. I'm planning to buy in if/when that becomes an option, though!

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
After some delays, the Two Rooms and a Boom kickstarter is up. It's a Mafia-esque deduction game (with no player elimination) that involves splitting the players between two rooms, involved a ton of alternate roles, and supposedly scales up to 30 players. I haven't tried it, but they do have a free print-and-play version for anyone who's curious about the rules.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Germ posted:

Fair enough, thanks. I don't reckon I'd refuse them if the eventually contacted me, but I'll make sure I try again over the next couple of weeks (including putting it on an update). After that, I'll feel free to start offering stuff for sale to the public.

As I said over PM, if you have any of those Nurgle bases left over or are making more, I will fling money at you.

Thedandmom
Jul 5, 2013

Pyrolocutus posted:

Looking good! I'm anticipating my deck, I'm putting together some Malifaux models and I'm looking forward to playing Malifaux in style with said deck.

Yeah I know a few people are looking forward to using the deck for Malifaux. I had contacted the Malifaux people about doing a version of the deck for it, however, I never heard back from them.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Direwolf posted:

As I said over PM, if you have any of those Nurgle bases left over or are making more, I will fling money at you.

Thanks for the reminder! I started sculpting the last of them (the 60 mm and the 120 mm flying base) a couple of days ago and should have them done after the weekend. I'll be in touch.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Has anyone posted about Playsets yet? Because I'm loving the aesthetic they've got, and having an isometric map-builder that can be interacted with in real time sounds pretty rad to me. iOS/iPad only unfortunately, but I'd still like to see a project like this get funded.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

S.J. posted:

Has anyone posted about Playsets yet? Because I'm loving the aesthetic they've got, and having an isometric map-builder that can be interacted with in real time sounds pretty rad to me. iOS/iPad only unfortunately, but I'd still like to see a project like this get funded.
Based on their pledge numbers so far, the lesson seems to be that not supporting Android is not the best idea...

That being said, the concept looks great, and I love the art style they're using. I hope they succeed, or at least come back for a second try with Android support.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Goredema posted:

Based on their pledge numbers so far, the lesson seems to be that not supporting Android is not the best idea...

That being said, the concept looks great, and I love the art style they're using. I hope they succeed, or at least come back for a second try with Android support.

I think I said this before but there's just too many other good, robust apps already out for a fraction of the price, without even going into Apple vs android nonsense.

3d virtual tabletop ($0.99, lacking only fog of war)
Battlemap 2 (probably the best, $10)

There's some others but it's hard to check at work.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I dunno, man. I'm usually willing to pay for a better looking product, and Playsets certainly seems to be. Unfortunately I don't have an iOS device though, and that's probably what's going to kill the project rather than the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

S.J. posted:

I dunno, man. I'm usually willing to pay for a better looking product, and Playsets certainly seems to be. Unfortunately I don't have an iOS device though, and that's probably what's going to kill the project rather than the price.

I guess we can agree to disagree on whether the KS looks or functions better than what I posted. And while developing for both would have been smarter, they did objectively go for the bigger market share/usage or tablets being iOS.

• Locked thread