Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

tactlessbastard posted:

Very nice!

It's Aeronca and Citabria (Airbatic backwards)

Oh man, I'm embarrassed. I talk about them constantly but never really saw how they were spelled. Yet I know how to spell Luscombe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

Ever heard folks call them "Aeron-AH-Cas" out loud?

Can't say that I ever did, no.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:allears:

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I want to see this at Reno so bad.

With three R-4630s just for good measure.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Advent Horizon posted:

I want to see this at Reno so bad.

With three R-4630s just for good measure.

It would be like the Pond Racer but less reliable.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Slo-Tek posted:

Apparently the Lansen was weird-big?

I think of it as P-80 sized, but it isn't, at all.

Well, it was designed as a immediately-after-WW2-era fighter-bomber, pretty much. Otherwise the trend in Swedish aircraft design has been to constantly attempt to make the aircraft smaller, because bigger aircraft are more expensive. The Viggen just happened to become big because the only viable engine option (a militarized JT-8D) was big; twin-engine solutions were rejected for cost reasons. The engine choice is also why it looks so snub-tailed - it has to do with the center of gravity/center of lift balance. With the Gripen they were more successful; it's positively tiny compared to a lot of other modern fighters.

By the way, if you have $20k, it seems like you can buy your very own Lansen: http://www.barnstormers.com/classified_818790_Great+restoration+project.html

edit: by the way, speaking of stealing Nazi designs, the Tunnan has some striking similarities to the Messerschmitt Me.P1011, don't you think?

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 29, 2013

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

slidebite posted:

Not sure if you're trolling or not.

No I was agreeing with you.

In the latter stage of the war, the Nazis made some absolutely incredible machines and crafted designs for even more incredible ones that never saw the light of day. Trying to share your enthusiasm with someone for the brilliance and insanity of their designs is always complicated by the fear that the person you're talking to might conflate your enthusiasm for certain pieces of Nazi technology with their actions and ideology.

So you always have to say something along the lines of, "drat the little kettenkraftrad was really cool, shame everything else about the Nazis was so horrible." Or, "They had some very advanced ideas for aeronautics and spacecraft, of course all their other ideas were outright evil."

Or, to put it much better than I did:

Nebakenezzer posted:

I know what you mean - I think we're OK as long as we don't start thinking along these lines without those asterisks. A cool machine is a cool machine.

Also, Nebakenezzer, thanks for that post. The Ju 187 rotating its tail 180 degrees is a whole new kind of design insanity :allears:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 29, 2013

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

TheFluff posted:

edit: by the way, speaking of stealing Nazi designs, the Tunnan has some striking similarities to the Messerschmitt Me.P1011, don't you think?

Given the time gap between WW2 and the Saab 29, it could just as easily have been designed based on the Lavochkin La-150 Yak-15 and -17.

La-150:

Yak-15:

Yak-17:

I suspect, though, that the bottom line is that when you have a number of good inline-V designed aircraft around, it's very easy and tempting to just stick a turbojet in place of the V12 and prop, and rather than deal with complex exhaust routing or a huge fusalage along with all the weight concerns, just have the exhaust under the body.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

SybilVimes posted:

Given the time gap between WW2 and the Saab 29, it could just as easily have been designed based on the Lavochkin La-150 Yak-15 and -17.

The basic airframe layout was chosen in december '45 though, and there's evidence Saab engineers had access to at least some German research (regarding wing sweep in particular). But then again I agree that parallel evolution is also a likely explanation,

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The grass-crisper.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Would a centrally mounted engine like that stall during cannon fire?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Why would it?

Edit: No, to answer the question.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

invision posted:

Here's an article on the f-15 driver godholio was talking about :
http://www.ejectionsite.com/insaddle/insaddle.htm

Interesting story, but that cyan background killed my vision.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Why would it?

Edit: No, to answer the question.

Ingestion of combustion byproducts from firing the gun.

But no, just because the engine is mounted centrally doesn't mean that's an issue, you have to either have a shitload of gas produced (like on early A-10s before they added the igniters) or have the gun located in a more..."central" location, like the MiG-9:

Also I found this MiG family portrait while searching for a MiG-9 picture:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Aaaand another T-50 takes off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT-wX-OewIo

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I love the proportions of the landing gear, due to the Russian penchant for less-than-ideal runway conditions. It's like an F-23 with tundra tires. :v:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

And a Ka-52 un-takes-off, fortunately not killing anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwg17TtNoDg

UPDATE: The aircraft was a Ka-52 fitted with gear for testing the Ka-52K navalized variant. Apparently, parts of the ejection system triggered, firing the explosive bolts that sheared off the lower rotor, creating the first coaxial helicopter with a countertorque problem. The pilot safely auto'ed in and both crew escaped once on the ground. Yellow 52 seen here in happier times:

Madurai fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 30, 2013

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Madurai posted:

And a Ka-52 un-takes-off, fortunately not killing anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwg17TtNoDg

Holy poo poo that is possibly the shakiest video I've ever seen.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

iyaayas01 posted:

Ingestion of combustion byproducts from firing the gun.

That was all I could come up with, but the guns are mounted behind the intake anyway.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Gorilla Salad posted:

Also, Nebakenezzer, thanks for that post. The Ju 187 rotating its tail 180 degrees is a whole new kind of design insanity :allears:

I am just wondering how that would work. I guess you would take off with it pointing up. Gain some altitude and space to maneuver, and then spin it to face down and deal with the plane pretty much going nuts during the process, recover and then fly as normal until its time to land and have to do it all in reverse. And hope like gently caress there is no battle damage to any of the systems for it to work.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Wibbleman posted:

I am just wondering how that would work. I guess you would take off with it pointing up. Gain some altitude and space to maneuver, and then spin it to face down and deal with the plane pretty much going nuts during the process, recover and then fly as normal until its time to land and have to do it all in reverse. And hope like gently caress there is no battle damage to any of the systems for it to work.

Meanwhile your opponents just go "Okay, when you see the upside down Junkers, attack them from below."

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Wibbleman posted:

I am just wondering how that would work.

Well, it wouldn't.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!
QF's been teasing the ever living gently caress out of their new "flying art" piece- and it turns out to be this.

VH-XZJ by Powercube, on Flickr

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Powercube posted:

QF's been teasing the ever living gently caress out of their new "flying art" piece- and it turns out to be this.

I'm not sure that "Filmstrip degrading into molecular biology" is what I'm looking for in a pinstripe....

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

Ardeem posted:

I'm not sure that "Filmstrip degrading into molecular biology" is what I'm looking for in a pinstripe....

The best part is that they didn't use a single colour from the region of art they were trying to celebrate.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Somebody needs to let off the line lock before they finish roasting those tires...

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

Advent Horizon posted:

Somebody needs to let off the line lock before they finish roasting those tires...

Yup. The best part is that was during the "high speed taxi" test at the conclusion of the flight!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Powercube posted:

Hah, you're kidding and just made this in MS Paint with the spraypaint tool, right?

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

~Coxy posted:

Hah, you're kidding and just made this in MS Paint with the spraypaint tool, right?

Kid Pix, actually. That bubbly tool that makes the funny noise when you click it.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Powercube posted:

I had to stare at it awhile when I walked past the other night. I was just looking at the nose and thought it was supposed to be some kind of mouth along the lines of Alaska's Salmon-30-Salmon. But it didn't make any sense until I looked back at the rest.

There's an interesting livery on a recent Shandong Airlines 737 for the Qingdao International Horticultural Exposition 2014.
http://www.qingdaoexpo2014.org/content/2012-12/17/content_9582457.htm

I don't have any pics I can share, though. It just delivered so some should start showing up.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Powercube posted:

Never mind the paint... did someone just three-point a 737??

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Drove (well, rode shotgun, can't handle a DSLR while driving) around DFW on 635 the other day and tried my hand at airliner photos while stopped in traffic under the approach lanes. I need a longer lens (all these are cropped to hell from a D7000 with the 18-105mm kit lens) if I want to be on airliners.net, but I think I did the best I could with what I had. Click through for slightly larger.

I like the way it's framed between the wires.

Mad Dog:

And somehow every one of them was American Airlines. Which I guess makes sense, since they're a major player and DFW is their home port.

[insert rant about how the old AA logo is better than the new flag tail]

Tsuru posted:

Never mind the paint... did someone just three-point a 737??
More likely somebody forgot to undo the parking brake, as that guy before you said.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 30, 2013

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Looks like you saw one of their new A319s though. I haven't yet had the chance.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

Delivery McGee posted:

Drove (well, rode shotgun, can't handle a DSLR while driving) around DFW on 635 the other day and tried my hand at airliner photos while stopped in traffic under the approach lanes. I need a longer lens (all these are cropped to hell from a D7000 with the 18-105mm kit lens) if I want to be on airliners.net, but I think I did the best I could with what I had. Click through for slightly larger.

I can help there, speaking of- is there an interest level in me doing an effortpost on plane photo :spergin: ?

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I was actually making a joke referencing people with hot rods installing line locks so they can spin the tires whenever they want :(

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Powercube posted:

I can help there, speaking of- is there an interest level in me doing an effortpost on plane photo :spergin: ?

I have presets in my camera based on some of your earlier suggestions which have worked quite well. More, please

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
A Cessna crashed in between the runways of Nashville's airport and no one noticed for hours :(

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/29/us/plane-crash-mystery/index.html

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ehnus posted:

A Cessna crashed in between the runways of Nashville's airport and no one noticed for hours :(

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/29/us/plane-crash-mystery/index.html

If the fog in Nashville was as bad as it was in Lexington this morning the tower wouldn't have been able to see him so it makes some sense I suppose.

Well. Other than the entire flying in a class B in IMC without talking to anyone apparently?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Well Nashville is Class C, but they still should have been talking to someone of course.

quote:

evidently crashed sometime after 3 a.m. local time

Midnight shift staffing, I hope like hell those controllers were actually paying attention and that this was just a fluke, but I imagine the truth is the exact opposite.

Anyone wanna help me do some sleuthing? http://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=kbna

In the the video, the burnt up tail looks like "C-GRJH"

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

In the the video, the burnt up tail looks like "C-GRJH"

That'd be it, more sources are confirming that it also belonged to the Windsor Flying Club.