Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Same for me, haven't experienced a single hiccup in Mail since Mavericking, only one little niggling bit is BOINC taking a lot more RAM than it used to. The new 64-bit iPhoto is much quicker than the pre-Mavs version.

And the "wreaking havoc" that Bob Morales posted turned out to be a user's script having a problem. Not something everyone is going to be doing.

I'm getting the feeling Apple is getting ready to piss on QuickTime and AppleScript, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

IUG posted:

So Mail for Mavericks is pretty garbage now, right? I know a few will joke about the "now" part, but since upgrading my Inboxes don't stay sorted. I'll delete and email or file away an email into a folder, and it will eventually copy another version of that email in the Inbox. The email stays in the folder/trash, but a new copy will make its way back into the Inbox. If I delete/move the email, and then quickly quit the program, there's a good chance that it will stay sorted, but I liked having the program open 24/7 before Mavericks.

Mine seems to be applying the rules properly. I've got about a dozen custom rules and mailboxes and nothing has fallen into the wrong area. Do you have some really crazy rulesets or something? Your example sounds more like a server side thing, where you're deleting local and it's keeping a copy on the server. Go through your settings.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Okay, I'm getting a bit sick of a random issue that came with Mavericks where if I switch from one app to another (via the Dock or CMD-Tab or whatever) I lose my external USB devices for 10-20 seconds. The OS doesn't react in any way so it doesn't seem to affect my external HDD, but mouse and keyboard are gone. My MBP's own trackpad and keyboard still work though. It happens completely randomly about 5 times a day.

E: On the lighter side of OS upgrade glitches; Twitter and Growl are not playing well together as usual:

Thanks, Stephen Fry, for telling me about what's new on the PlayStation Store! :downs:

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 30, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Anyone seen this or know a solution? 2 updates available but the top part shows nothing. It's been happening for days now.

You can run softwareupdate from a terminal

code:
sudo softwareupdate --install --all
What's the back story, are you on the GM or did you upgrade from the App Store or what?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Hmm, in Mountain Lion/Lion, the purge command could be issued from the terminal with no special permissions.

In Mavericks, you have to do a sudo purge before it'll work.

rpop
Dec 17, 2003

noveo@ace

DJCobol posted:

Is network settings sharing now a thing between OSX and iOS now? My MBP now has a huge list of networks its never been on that more than likely came from my phone. Also, if I add/remove a device from a wireless network, the other one follows behind shortly. For example, when I get to work I put my MBP on the Wi-Fi network, but I don't connect my phone so I can still use things like gmail, facebook, etc., all the poo poo that work usually blocks. Within a few minutes though, somehow my phone got added to the network. I remove the phone from the network, and then within 5 minutes both my MBP and iPad are off the network too. Re-add the MPB and iPad, and the phone joins right back in.

Please tell me there is a way to turn this poo poo off.

From what I've read, you are reaping the benefits of iCloud Keychain. I'm still on iOS 6 so I have no idea how you would go about turning it off, but if iOS 7 has a toggle for that, I'm guessing it would solve your issue.

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away
Sometimes when I wake my iMac from sleep, it just hangs and I have to reboot by holding the power button for a few seconds.
I found this in the logs when I checked:

http://pastebin.com/DWPa3Qy3

What's happening?
This is Mavericks on a new 27" iMac.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm setting up the CEO's new 15" MBP. He brought his old Lion MBP in for me to migrate from. I updated all the Mac software on the old laptop and started migration assistant. Connected the two with a crossover cable. Booted up the new Mavericks MBP for the first time and went through initial setup. Just after the data transfer screen where it shows the security code on both, I hit Continue on the old MBP and the new one says it's looking for things to import and then on the new one the screen goes black and it loops back to the first setup screen where you select the language.

I tried it a few times with the same result, restarted the old MBP with the same result. Did the usual permissions/disk repair stuff. Not sure where to go from here. The old one seems to be working perfectly and the new one is as new as they come.

EDIT: Rebooted both of them a few times and now it's working.

EDIT2: All done and I still have my job! :toot:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 30, 2013

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

IUG posted:

So Mail for Mavericks is pretty garbage now, right? I know a few will joke about the "now" part, but since upgrading my Inboxes don't stay sorted. I'll delete and email or file away an email into a folder, and it will eventually copy another version of that email in the Inbox. The email stays in the folder/trash, but a new copy will make its way back into the Inbox. If I delete/move the email, and then quickly quit the program, there's a good chance that it will stay sorted, but I liked having the program open 24/7 before Mavericks.

I bet you're using gmail. Enable the "all mail" folder to be visible in IMAP in your gmail settings. Then make sure you don't have [Gmail] set as you IMAP path prefix in your account settings in Mail (leave it blank).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

I bet you're using gmail. Enable the "all mail" folder to be visible in IMAP in your gmail settings. Then make sure you don't have [Gmail] set as you IMAP path prefix in your account settings in Mail (leave it blank).

Yes I am. I'll have to check all that stuff after work.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

What the article doesn't say is that you are going to have to find a way to get precisely that version of VMWare Fusion, and no other. Permitting installation of Snow Leopard client was considered an unintentional bug and they removed it from the very next Fusion patch.

I don't have any links to share offhand, but you may be able to google up some methods of hacking disk images of the SL installer and/or SL installations to fool Fusion into accepting it as SL Server even when it's not.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Has anyone noticed a bug where using the two finger swipe in Safari 7 to go back a page makes the tab non-responsive? (The rest of the browser is okay though and you can close and open a new tab just fine)

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

computer parts posted:

Has anyone noticed a bug where using the two finger swipe in Safari 7 to go back a page makes the tab non-responsive? (The rest of the browser is okay though and you can close and open a new tab just fine)

Is the page animation getting stuck after moving a bit? Try doing the right-to-left two finger swipe (like you're going forward a page instead of back) when that happens. That fixes the tab for me.

I think it must be related to the bug in launchpad where swiping just gets stuck in-between pages of apps instead of "snapping".

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

Hmm, in Mountain Lion/Lion, the purge command could be issued from the terminal with no special permissions.

In Mavericks, you have to do a sudo purge before it'll work.

This is guesswork because I don't have a L/ML install to check, but: I bet it always required root (telling the kernel to do something that drastic with memory is a root kind of thing), but was a SUID root binary so it could elevate its own privilege. Apple's probably trying to cut down on the number of SUID root binaries shipped with the system. Every one is an extra attack surface for malware.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Oneiros posted:

Is the page animation getting stuck after moving a bit? Try doing the right-to-left two finger swipe (like you're going forward a page instead of back) when that happens. That fixes the tab for me.

I think it must be related to the bug in launchpad where swiping just gets stuck in-between pages of apps instead of "snapping".

Yep, that fixed it, thanks. :)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BobHoward posted:

This is guesswork because I don't have a L/ML install to check, but: I bet it always required root (telling the kernel to do something that drastic with memory is a root kind of thing), but was a SUID root binary so it could elevate its own privilege.

Just double checked on a 10.7.5 system, purge ran straight from the terminal, no sudo required. Same with 10.8.5.

quote:

Apple's probably trying to cut down on the number of SUID root binaries shipped with the system. Every one is an extra attack surface for malware.

I concur and agree with this.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

BobHoward posted:

What the article doesn't say is that you are going to have to find a way to get precisely that version of VMWare Fusion, and no other. Permitting installation of Snow Leopard client was considered an unintentional bug and they removed it from the very next Fusion patch.

Bugger! Well thank you for explaining that. I won't waste time on it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

Okay, I'm getting a bit sick of a random issue that came with Mavericks where if I switch from one app to another (via the Dock or CMD-Tab or whatever) I lose my external USB devices for 10-20 seconds. The OS doesn't react in any way so it doesn't seem to affect my external HDD, but mouse and keyboard are gone. My MBP's own trackpad and keyboard still work though. It happens completely randomly about 5 times a day.
I've seen a decent number of people posting about that issue, but no one seems to know the cause. Well in some cases it was a third party driver, but there's others where there's seemingly no lead.

rpop posted:

From what I've read, you are reaping the benefits of iCloud Keychain. I'm still on iOS 6 so I have no idea how you would go about turning it off, but if iOS 7 has a toggle for that, I'm guessing it would solve your issue.
Yeah wifi networks are part of iCloud Keychain. I'm not sure there's a way to enable partial syncing if you want that though.

Choadmaster posted:

And a little more to this, check the web interface too. I noticed there was a "[Gmail] Trash" label or something, which I imagine was loving things up a bit, like maybe Mac Mail was putting stuff in there rather than the actual Trash.

I never used the [Gmail] prefix trick afaik (but did do the "use Trash folder for trash" trick way back which might've done it), and I don't think the label was there (on the web version) until I ran Mavericks Mail, so perhaps that was a quirk of the transition to the new way it does stuff now. Anyway I quit Mail, deleted the label, launched Mail again and everything has seemed fine since. I never hid the All Mail folder so I dodged that bullet at least.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Anyone seen this or know a solution? 2 updates available but the top part shows nothing. It's been happening for days now.

Are you on the dev GM or the App store version?

I ran into all sorts of App Store problems with the older dev GM and had to do a terribly roundabout way to get the newer version installed and since then everything has been running smoothly.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I discovered a strange new behavior in Mavericks. If I have tabs enabled, and I drag the tab away from the window and "drop it" on the desktop, a miniature icon representing the Finder tab that I dragged appears. I can't seem to interact with it: it's not draggable, openable, or anything.

What am I missing? Is this a bug, or is it a feature that I don't understand? Check out the screenshot.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ordinarily those are supposed to expand into new windows. You might have to relaunch Finder (Apple Menu > Force Quit... and choose Finder).

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I killed Finder, and that makes the tiny windows disappear, but when I try to recreate the behavior, it persists.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Does it stick around after a reboot?

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
After a reboot, the tiny windows go away, but the behavior persists.

So I'm assuming that you run Mavericks, and you tried to do this, and it doesn't happen?

Edit: if clicking on the tiny window made it big again, it would be a pretty rad feature.

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 30, 2013

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
Looks like a bug to me. When I drag a tab to the desktop it expands to a full window immediately.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

n0n0 posted:

So I'm assuming that you run Mavericks, and you tried to do this, and it doesn't happen?

Edit: if clicking on the tiny window made it big again, it would be a pretty rad feature.

The tiny windows are supposed to be the start of an animation that ends with the tab as a new window. You have a bug that, as it persists across reboots, is probably not going to go away for awhile. I've never seen it before, certainly.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
So I'm running VMWare Fusion 6 on parallels for a Windows 8 VM for work. I am noticing that once the VM has been running for a while (3-4 hours) performance gradually degrades to the point when even explorer is unusable (NOTHING else is running on the system at the time). I am also noticing that terminal windows can take quite a while to pop up (i use my VM to run some batch scripts that can spawn 10 or so windows at a time). This is happening on a 2013 rMBP with 8GB of RAM and a 2.6Ghz i5.

Any of you goons have come across this before?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

shodanjr_gr posted:

So I'm running VMWare Fusion 6 on parallels for a Windows 8 VM for work. I am noticing that once the VM has been running for a while (3-4 hours) performance gradually degrades to the point when even explorer is unusable (NOTHING else is running on the system at the time). I am also noticing that terminal windows can take quite a while to pop up (i use my VM to run some batch scripts that can spawn 10 or so windows at a time). This is happening on a 2013 rMBP with 8GB of RAM and a 2.6Ghz i5.

Is your machine swapping to disk? I have the same configuration for my 2013 rMBP and mavericks + fusion + win8.1 seems like it's taking a lot more mem than before. I used a 2012 rMBP with the 2.6 and 8 GB for the same setup before and it was ok then.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

japtor posted:

Runs fine here, 2011 Mac mini w/Radeon. Is it just everything about it laggy or particular things?

I have a Mac Mini from June 2013 with 16 GB RAM and Intel Graphics. It lags whenever I do anything that requires it to load more images, like zooming in/out or moving around. I'll do things like scroll to zoom out and it just freezes for a second or two. And when panning around, it will sometimes freeze and then suddenly "snap" and send me several screens over. It just seems to me like a maps app should be smooth when zooming/panning around maps.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

shodanjr_gr posted:

Do you have background batches, scheduled tasks, or services which aren't terminating? This is classic "memory leak" behavior.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

n0n0 posted:

I discovered a strange new behavior in Mavericks. If I have tabs enabled, and I drag the tab away from the window and "drop it" on the desktop, a miniature icon representing the Finder tab that I dragged appears. I can't seem to interact with it: it's not draggable, openable, or anything.

What am I missing? Is this a bug, or is it a feature that I don't understand? Check out the screenshot.

it's not a feature. (the window thumbnail should expand into a full-size window.) please file a bug, since you can reproduce it. (bugreport.apple.com)

you might see if it goes away after uninstalling dropbox. that injects code into finder, which can result in unexpected behavior. (whether or not it goes away after removing dropbox from the equation would be good information to add to the bug report.)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

n0n0 posted:

It's a (hilarious) bug. In the Dropbox vein above, check if the Console shows anything when it happens. If you have some kind of hacky thing before but never uninstalled it, it could be messing with the Finder.

Axiem posted:

I have a Mac Mini from June 2013 with 16 GB RAM and Intel Graphics. It lags whenever I do anything that requires it to load more images, like zooming in/out or moving around. I'll do things like scroll to zoom out and it just freezes for a second or two. And when panning around, it will sometimes freeze and then suddenly "snap" and send me several screens over. It just seems to me like a maps app should be smooth when zooming/panning around maps.
Yeah that's weird, it's basically as smooth as the iOS apps here, with some low res placeholders or gridlines when panning quickly. Are you using a platter drive by any chance? Just curious if it's pausing while hitting the drive or something.

Otherwise check out the Console...it works as a troubleshooting step for everything. It might show what if anything is happening while it's pausing.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

phosdex posted:

Is your machine swapping to disk? I have the same configuration for my 2013 rMBP and mavericks + fusion + win8.1 seems like it's taking a lot more mem than before. I used a 2012 rMBP with the 2.6 and 8 GB for the same setup before and it was ok then.

I don't think so. The OSX side is working fine and the VM is literally just sitting on the desktop with nothing running....

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Two problems with mavericks I noticed in the shop today.

We've had several units in this past week with failing drives that would not complete migration assistant under Mavericks. After a few days of attempts, I decided to downgrade one machine to mountain lion and test migration assistant, and sure enough the data was recognized and transferred without a hitch. Did the same thing to the other problem machines and had the same results. Out of around 10 machines, only one running Mavericks had a successful data migration, and I believe that one was already running Mavericks. The problem machines all successfully ran the assistant when downgraded to 10.8.

I've only noticed this on one machine, so I don't know if it was just a glitch, but my boss performed a clean install of Mavericks, and the install did not create a recovery partition. I'm going to test this on a machine tomorrow morning, but was wondering if anyone else has performed a clean install on a newly formatted or partitioned drive and had noticed if their recovery partition was present?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

empty baggie posted:

Two problems with mavericks I noticed in the shop today.

We've had several units in this past week with failing drives that would not complete migration assistant under Mavericks. After a few days of attempts, I decided to downgrade one machine to mountain lion and test migration assistant, and sure enough the data was recognized and transferred without a hitch. Did the same thing to the other problem machines and had the same results. Out of around 10 machines, only one running Mavericks had a successful data migration, and I believe that one was already running Mavericks. The problem machines all successfully ran the assistant when downgraded to 10.8.

I've only noticed this on one machine, so I don't know if it was just a glitch, but my boss performed a clean install of Mavericks, and the install did not create a recovery partition. I'm going to test this on a machine tomorrow morning, but was wondering if anyone else has performed a clean install on a newly formatted or partitioned drive and had noticed if their recovery partition was present?
I recently helped my sister clean install Mavericks and use migration assistant to suck the data from her old laptop (2011 MBP running 10.8.5) to a newer one (late 2012 retina MBP) and the recovery partition was definitely created. I also didn't have any problems with migration assistant.

Did you create a USB stick using the instructions Sex Parrot has posted a few times for the clean install?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Yes, that was the same terminal command that was used for our install drives. As I haven't witnessed it myself but just heard from my boss, I'm not convinced about the recovery partition issue, but for whatever reason I and my co-tech have definitely had issues with Mavericks migration assistant more than once. I think it just has more trouble mounting failing drives than previous versions of OSX.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

empty baggie posted:

Yes, that was the same terminal command that was used for our install drives. As I haven't witnessed it myself but just heard from my boss, I'm not convinced about the recovery partition issue, but for whatever reason I and my co-tech have definitely had issues with Mavericks migration assistant more than once. I think it just has more trouble mounting failing drives than previous versions of OSX.
How were you mounting the drives? I used target Thunderbolt.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
I don't think I've seen it mentioned, but the single best feature in Mavericks is loving Messages not having an apoplexy when performing searches. I don't regularly search for stuff but occasionally the search bar would get highlighted accidentally and when I started typing what I thought was a reply, I'd wait 10 minutes while characters appear. Invariably I'd just force quit and start over.

But now it works and it is glorious.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Mercurius posted:

How were you mounting the drives? I used target Thunderbolt.

In external sleds, both with USB and FireWire 800. It doesn't seem to matter what type of machine, though none have been newer than 2011. Had another one this morning. Could not migrate to 10.9, downgraded to 10.8 and the transfer worked perfectly. This was on a 2008 15' MBP.

We had noticed a long time ago that Snow Leopard doesn't seem to be as picky in terms of finding data on failed drives than lion or mtn lion. Maybe whatever changes Mavericks made to migration assistant has changed this even further.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
So I'm having a bastard of a time trying to virtualize Mavericks with VMWare Fusion 5 on a Mountain Lion machine. I set up a new VM, point it at the InstallESD.dmg file, and it boots into this weird console environment with a Shell> prompt. I have no idea how to get it to actually boot from the image.

Any thoughts? I presume it is possible?